Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flock/Herd Number for Sheep

• 24-11-2016 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,

Probably been asked a million times before so apologies if so.

I'm looking at getting a flock/herd number now to keep a small number of sheep on 5 acres just to manage the grass really.

Not looking to make profits off such a small space so also not looking to invest heavily so my question is what's the bare minimum I need to get a flock number?

Obviously also to care for the animals correctly.

At present I've only boundary ditches with barbed wire running through them all around.

Do I need to secure my entire boundary / area I want to keep the sheep with sheep wire fencing to get a flock number?

Do I also need to provide winter housing? Or is a holding pen sufficient?

Just looking for the shopping list really starting off with just an empty field set in grass!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭Base price

As a matter of interest what type of farming activity if any, do your neighbours have.
    Fences are required to be "stock proof" to prevent the possible spread of disease between farms.
    TBH barbed wire is not really stock proof when it comes to sheep. You would be better off biting the bullet and erecting proper sheep fencing just for peace of mind. It will prevent your sheep (white vermin :rolleyes:) straying onto the public road possibly causing an accident or into your neighbours property causing damage, both of which you would be liable for.
    A sure way of falling out with your neighbours is to buy some sheep and neglect boundary fences.
    Here is a link to the Dept site https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/registrationofpremisesanimals/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Base price wrote: »
    As a matter of interest what type of farming activity if any, do your neighbours have.
    Fences are required to be "stock proof" to prevent the possible spread of disease between farms.
    TBH barbed wire is not really stock proof when it comes to sheep. You would be better off biting the bullet and erecting proper sheep fencing just for peace of mind. It will prevent your sheep (white vermin :rolleyes:) straying onto the public road possibly causing an accident or into your neighbours property causing damage, both of which you would be liable for.
    A sure way of falling out with your neighbours is to buy some sheep and neglect boundary fences.
    Here is a link to the Dept site https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/registrationofpremisesanimals/

+100 :)

You dont need to provide winter housing, but you do need some corner in some shed / garage where you could put sick animals, if one became sick. (If one does become sick, put two in, no animal likes to be on their own)

After that, a pen would do.

If you are outwintering, you would still need somewhere to store food - hay and ration... But I dont think this is a dept requirement, just something to think about...

Best of luck...

Oh - and dont mind Base Price with her White Vermin comment... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Smallhold

Thanks for the feedback....points taken!

Yes I do plan on doing proper fencing for sheep around the area I hope to keep them...may have to do it in phases $$$!!

Also it would be my intention to at least provide some field shelter for them and have some area I can house an odd sick one...whatever it takes to look after them properly would be done! In fact my wife would probably try turn them into pets if she had her way! Would be too well minded!!

Anyhow I also spoke to the district vet since so basically suitable fencing for sheep and a small pen to round them up into is the basic need after that it's down to you...so I think i'll give it a go...surely beats five hours a week of grass cutting?!

Last question - what breed / type of sheep should I be looking at? ...About 4-5 acres is all...steeply sloping in parts...mostly hilly land...drainage is fairly good...lot os shale under us so typically wouldn't have any surface water in the fields..at the moment fairly decent clean grass cover..re-seeded it all recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

A handy way to make a gathering pen is pallets and stakes, you will pick up pallets on building sites, local feed merchant, machinery garage etc, a pallet and drive a stake down between each pallet, a quick shed of esb poles and a bit of galvanise and pallets will do around the sides,
    As for breeds any to start off with to learn, a good start is ewe lambs and learn how to mind and then lamb then in year two or get ewes with lambs at foot with the work done,
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Smallhold wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback....points taken!

Anyhow I also spoke to the district vet since so basically suitable fencing for sheep and a small pen to round them up into is the basic need after that it's down to you...so I think i'll give it a go...surely beats five hours a week of grass cutting?!

Did he not ask about a shed to cater for sick animals?

foxirl wrote: »
    Did he not ask about a shed to cater for sick animals?

No said there's no need but a small lean to would be useful that's all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Smallhold wrote: »
    No said there's no need but a small lean to would be useful that's all!

There's no need because you'll rarely have a sick sheep. You'll have a healthy live sheep or a dead sheep but rarely anything inbetween.

Advertisement