Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slightly suspect

• 24-11-2016 10:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

So went out to the car this morning, entire car covered in frost and ice, every exposed surface area, other than the drivers door handle.

The mechanism it's self was still frozen, but the handle it's self, totally clear. Now I might have a couple of heated things on the car, but the handle is not one of them, and even then, the car would have to be running for them things to work.

I think it's just a word of warning guys for these cold mornings, don't be running the car, keys in it, heating her up, whilst you are inside having a cup of tea or brushing your teeth.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Exactly. Happened my neighbour. He left his car ticking over whilst having his breakfast. The car was stolen. He was panicking, because your insurance company won't pay out in those circumstances. Decided to ask his brother to punch him on the nose, and tell the Gardai he was assaulted and had his keys taken from him.

In the end the thief crashed the car on the ice, and was arrested whilst still sitting behind the wheel. He was charged with theft... and assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

lol

brother was the real winner there..

Remember a few cars in the states having remote start functionality.. Any cars over this way have that as standard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Turbo timer ftw :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Yep be careful....I do start mine to warm it up on colder morningso but I'm usually either out by it or sitting in it.....never leave unattended.

Years ago my mate had a complete POS saxo,
    it was a total **** box but a previous owner had scummed it up with a body kit,exhaust etc.
    Anyways

my mate is a bit of a loon and would leave it running for 15 minutes in the winter mornings ,(why???)
    the sound off it was disgraceful ,

One morning he went out to it and the keys were gone!
    one of the neighbors had enough and took them!

About a week later someone "found them" outside the local shop and handed them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

if no-one else is going to post this, I guess I'll have to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I leave it running while I scrape the windows, that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Scrape windows, jump in, start and drive. It couldn't be simpler. No stolen car through idiocy!

I may have a cabin heater as one of the cars factory options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

lawred2 wrote: »
    lol

brother was the real winner there..

Remember a few cars in the states having remote start functionality.. Any cars over this way have that as standard?

I had a BMW E30 fitted with it years ago. It was kinda cool. Press the remote from inside the house and the car would start. Doors would stay locked and the engine would cut out if you released the handbrake before putting in the key and 'turning on' the ignition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Neighnour of mine used to have a lovely Subaru Impreza, he remoted started it on the forsty morning, some hum off it, school kids passing by used to look at and wonder....:P

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I remember about 15 years ago, a guy used to drive his 1990 corolla to the pub. He'd leave it running and lock the doors. Go in for 3 pints, back out to the car and use the spare key to open the door. Hated driving home in a cold car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Another point is, whilst I dont think anyone was trying to access it, or steal it, I still think it was quite bizzare that the handle was free from frost, and had anyone being trying to, if it was a clear/dry/warm morning, I would have known no different.

So as well as not leaving the car runnung unattended, also, remember to lock your doors.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I had a remote start fitted onto my old car, Bedside alarm goes off, hit car fob and car starts up outside, hit snooze and got back to sleep for a few mins.

Car nice and toasty when i get up and still locked with the keys on my bedside so cant be robbed,( Cant be driven until key is in ignition.)

Also used it in work so car would be warmed up after 12 hours night shifts in winter. Waiting for the car to defrost in work used to add about an hour to the journey home after night shift as everyone was finishing work at the same time, Getting out the 10 mins or so earlier meant I could beat the rush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Ah the joys of an EV. Just set a timer the night before or use the app on your phone. Car is toast warm with clear windows in minutes.
    No noisy engine running to piss off neighbours or keep you awake, just a slight fan hum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Dont even leave my car unlocked when i have to go back inside when i forget something.
    Leaving your car run and expect it to be still there when you come back is a thing from the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Scrape windows, jump in, start and drive. It couldn't be simpler. No stolen car through idiocy!

I may have a cabin heater as one of the cars factory options
    You should start it first before doing anything else....the oil will need to be warmed a little before you drive it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

Three stolen like that so far this week in Kildare, another four in Dublin. Be careful.
    Kildare Gardai: A Third Car Has Been Stolen Today As Owner Sought To Clear Windscreen Of Ice.

Its now emerged that three, not two cars, have been stolen from homes in Kildare; they were left unattended with running engines as drivers sought to clear ice from their windscreens.
    All three thefts have occurred since Monday, with the lastest this morning.
    Another four vehicles have been stolen in Dublin in similar circumstances in the same period.
    Kildare Gardai say "Please be aware of these type of incidents. The car thieves are great fans of the frosty mornings."

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

inforfun wrote: »
    Dont even leave my car unlocked when i have to go back inside when i forget something.
    Leaving your car run and expect it to be still there when you come back is a thing from the past.

You all assume people live in cities.
    Some people don't even take car keys out-of ignition at night around here or lock the front door.
    People think I'm strange locking my car at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Can you start the car and leave it running to heat up, and lock it with the spare key?

Honestly, I'm afraid to try it in case I can't get back into the bloody thing so I said I'll ask here, at the risk of looking stooopid :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

You can, but as the original keys are still inside, someone could smash the window quickly and jump in and be off before you've even got to the front door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

You should never scrape a windscreen or pour hot water over it. Use a de-icer such as Prestone. Works brilliantly!

Advertisement