Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night rate apparently working 24 hours a day.

Options
  • 24-11-2016 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

I have storage heaters and therefore day and night rate meters.
    The timer went a bit funny and the storage heaters wold come on during the day.
    3 weeks ago, I contacted ESB network who came and said that new meters would have to be installed - I haven't seen them since.

However, over the last few days, I noticed that the storage heaters could be on 24 hours a day - so I switch them off manually (at the switch near each heater}.

My question is, am I actually getting the night rate 24 hours a day or am I paying the day rate at night. Also, do all plugs, lights etc run on the night rate (if everything was working correctly?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

No night rate is strictly 11pm to 8am. The storage heater should only be charging at night.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have storage heaters and therefore day and night rate meters.
    The timer went a bit funny and the storage heaters wold come on during the day.

What timer? The ESB time clock or a timer on your side?

The timer on the ESB side will dictate which rate you are charged (day or night rate). This timer sometimes switches the night rate loads on but sometimes the loads such as storage heaters are switched on by a timer on the customer side of the meter.

My question is, am I actually getting the night rate 24 hours a day or am I paying the day rate at night. Also, do all plugs, lights etc run on the night rate (if everything was working correctly?

Not possible to say from the information provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Thanks for the replies, Tuco88 and 2011.

The only timer that I know of is the ESB meter. Three weeks ago, I reported the issue to ESB networks and their engineer came on a Friday and said that the meters need to be replaced and he would do that on the Monday. That is the last I have seen of him. He said that a spring on the night meter was broken.

He also said that I he would change the meters without me being in the property (the meters are outside the apartment).

Tuco88 said: No night rate is strictly 11pm to 8am. The storage heater should only be charging at night.
    That is my issue - the storage heaters are on 24 hours a day unless I manually switch them off. Up until about a month ago, the night heaters would bizarrely come on during the day. However, they are now on 24 hours a day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ok, it sounds like your storage heaters are controlled by the ESB time clock which is quite normal. If I were you I would argue that the ESB should cover the costs associated with your storage heaters being on during the day.

However further investigation is required to be sure.

Advertisement