Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy to let/renting

Options
  • 24-11-2016 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I’m looking at getting into the landlord/buy-to-let market and I’d appreciate any help or feedback with the below questions.

As a bit of background, I currently have two properties I rent out so not a complete novice to the industry. I’ve a not insignificant capital base and am looking at possibly purchasing a couple of investment properties with a view to renting them out to either students or social welfare/HSE fixed tenancy. The figure all add up (in an ideal world of course) and a ROI of over 10% should be achievable.

Does anyone have any experience of the above and/or have any tips or advice?

- What is the general attitude towards lending to this type of business from the banks perspective?
    - Would there be any leeway on the 70% LTV?
    - Would they be open to increasing this type of portfolio over time? Perhaps with once new property per year.
    - Are there any costs aside from legal, stamp duty, PRTB, Property Tax, Insurance and maintenance/repair fund?
    - How much of a maintenance/repair fund should be by holding every year for student lettings?
    - Anyone have any experience with the HSE/social welfare fixed tenancies agreements?

Any general advice on any of the above would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

-There is leeway on the LTV however there were only a tiny fraction of the loans last year that got the exception to the rules.
    -If you can fund the purchase there shouldn't be a problem with buying more.
    -Your costs should also include income tax at the marginal rate less any allowable deductions.

Advertisement