Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pumpkin Pie recipe?

• 24-11-2016 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hey all

So - t'is the season - apparently..

I've never celebrated Thanksgiving before, but I'm going to a potluck dinner and the host says that nobody is making pumpkin pie. Anyway - I said I'd make one. I was thinking of making mini ones so that people can just grab them, although a big one would look better. Anyway..

I have been looking around at recipes, but, as I can't even remember what pumpkin tastes like, I'm not sure what to go for.

There's loads of mention of canned pumpkin - sounds.. a bit off, but probably a big time saver.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm abroad so I will have to figure out the ingredients and brands as a lot of the known brands are not so available here.

I'm also going to make potato salad - the Irish kind - with bacon. Again - going to have to figure out what potatoes, etc. to get, and I *think* I've found out somewhere that sells Irish bacon. Being away foreign is great and all - but this stuff makes you miss the shops that you're used to!

Edit - happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Libby's canned pumpkin is the main seller in the States. Fallon & Byrne stock it here but I've heard rumours that they're out. Otherwise, just get a pumpkin, roast/steam it and mash the pulp.

Pumpkin cheesecake
    might be another alternative, as could be a Chocolate Pumpkin pie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

TBH the canned pumpkin is the one to go for. It's specially bred for sweetness and..ermm, pie making :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Thank you both!

I found pumpkin in a can - and it was very nice. I'm sometimes suspicious of things in a can since I found "bangers and mash in a can". It was years ago, and I'm still traumatised. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's probably one of the few things which is actually better from a can than made from scratch, especially if you don't have access to the right kinds of pumpkin.

Advertisement