Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to The Beacon, Sandyford

Options
  • 24-11-2016 11:21am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14

Hi guys

Just looking for general feedback - bagged myself an apartment on a 12 month lease (2 bedroom, 1700 per month)

New job is in Sandyford Business Park which is handy, so just looking for feedback on the area

Cheers

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The area is grand, very popular with young professional types.

Busy during the day, dead at night and very quiet at weekends. A lot of people who live there go back down the country at the weekend. There's pretty much nothing to do in Sandyford itself but Dundrum is only 5 mins away on the Luas.

Pubs wise you have the Lep Inn, The Goat and O'Dwyers in Kilmacud within walking distance.

You have a Dunnes on your doorstep and an Aldi around the corner. There's a very good O'Briens off license beside Dunnes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Liberty Valance

Thanks for that :)

Joined the Ben Dunne gym aswell so that will give me something to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

awec wrote: »
    The area is grand, very popular with young professional types.

Busy during the day, dead at night and very quiet at weekends. A lot of people who live there go back down the country at the weekend. There's pretty much nothing to do in Sandyford itself but Dundrum is only 5 mins away on the Luas.

Pubs wise you have the Lep Inn, The Goat and O'Dwyers in Kilmacud within walking distance.

You have a Dunnes on your doorstep and an Aldi around the corner. There's a very good O'Briens off license beside Dunnes.

Don't forget the Balally Inn (Ollies).... Actually forget the Balally Inn

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

will be jam packed come January in the evenings.. if you can do mornings there youll get your moneys worth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

awec wrote: »
    There's pretty much nothing to do in Sandyford itself but Dundrum is only 5 mins away on the Luas.

Just on this point, it depends on what you're looking for. Pubs and (diverse) restaurants aren't plentiful. However, there is a rock climbing facility, a trampoline...park that does fitness classes as well as trampoline dodgeball if you can get a group, the Dundrum Archery club meets in the GAA hall within the estate, and you have your pick of gyms.

As awec says, Dundrum is a short distance away on Luas and Stillorgan village isn't that far a walk - more shops, some restaurants and pubs, and bowling/arcade.

🤪

• Advertisement

Cheers guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

is the bar still there on Blackthorn Road at the corner with Bracken Road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

The Copper Bar? Nope, that closed down about 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There's all thewall.ie which is good

Nope. Was a terrible place for a bar, nobody knew it was there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

That was it, the copper bar.

I only went there once about three years ago. I thought it was quite good and they did great chicken wings.

but yeah, it is kind of hidden in plain sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I have to ask are you paying the full 1700 or sharing just seems a lot to pay in the area.

There is everything you need there and more.

Up stairs from Ben dunne there are banks/coffee shops/ hairdressers and some take away food

I have to ask are you paying the full 1700 or sharing just seems a lot to pay in the area.

There is everything you need there and more.

Up stairs from Ben dunne there are banks/coffee shops/ hairdressers and some take away food

Full 1700 - myself and my partner splitting it

It's an awful lot I agree but I suppose it's a sign of the times we live in

Tried sharing with strangers and it wasn't for me, and sharing with my mates would turn me into an alcoholic :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

That was it, the copper bar.

I only went there once about three years ago. I thought it was quite good and they did great chicken wings.

but yeah, it is kind of hidden in plain sight.

The food there in general was really nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

1700, ouch that's around twice what a lot of people's mortgage would be on those units

1700 in Sandyford is about the average these days. Prices have risen by 500/600 euro a month the past 2 or 3 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 The Waco Kid

No evening or weekend life

Advertisement