Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential overload problem

Options
  • 24-11-2016 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

So there is an 8kw electric shower in a house along with the normal run of the mill appliances, now owner (not me) wants to install electric ecovolt type heaters and get rid of the existing gas heating system which is very old and inefficient . I see a problem ahead. It is a very small bungalow of maybe 500sq ft, however there will be 5 heaters needed which vary from 600w to 1800w , in total it will be a draw of 5.3 KW if they were all on at once. Add to this scenario the Shower and you can see what I am worried about. I reckon the main fuse of 63A could overload and blow but my advice is falling on deaf ears, the only option I can see is to get rid of the shower but again that is not what the person wants to hear? Am I worrying uneccessarily?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

you are perhaps worrying unnecessarily if all of these heat loads are storage heaters (so they charge up at night, when people are sleeping / not showering).
    However you have a strong point if these are instantaneous heaters and they like a warm house, at the same time as showering.
    It would be quite mad for me to move from a gas heating / radiator scenario to electric instantaneous heating - it will cost multiples to operate compared to gas...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Yep they are instant heat alright, they are very modern and actually more economical than gas (well according to the manufacturers data ) , I am not going to get involved tbh I gave my advice on the over loading problem and I just wanted to make sure I was right! We have a 63A main fuse which can take 14.4 KVA so with over 5K of heating and a shower on...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

the reality is with diversity, they may be okay. e.g. each heater may not be pulling electricity at the same time.
    now if the cooker were to switch on ;)
    RE greater efficiency, thermodynamically, gas is generally more efficient, however where these yokes might be better is on the controls side. costly however...

Advertisement