Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should parents stop pretending that Santa is real?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

FortySeven wrote: »
    I wish people would stop using santy and mammy. Such infantile use of language makes me cringe.

They're just Irish-isms. Relax, have a mineral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

DredFX wrote: »
    Article on the Telegraph today (also published on the Irish Examiner, though they deleted it within hours of posting it) reports on a suggestion by a psychologist and social scientist that parents should stop pretending Santa Claus exists because it could hurt their relations with their children.

A professor from the University of New England in Australia also made the rather insightful claim that:

So, lying about Santa can bring progenitor-offspring relations into a serious penumbra.

Anybody here resent their parents for maintaining the great Christmas masquerade? I sure as hell do.

This just pushed PC madness over the edge for me. What an absolute idiot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

HS3 wrote: »
    Absolutely not. But I think the annual 'Santa tracker ' and videos from the north pole are a stretch too far. It's not about factual proof, it's about magic! It's about using your imagination.
    Video's are naff. But the tracking goes back to 1955 long before the internet.

http://www.npr.org/2014/12/19/371647099/norads-santa-tracker-began-with-a-typo-and-a-good-sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Though I do think Santa myth is ridiculous, no they shouldn't stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Childhood Christmases are never really the same once you cotton on to Santy.

I can still remember the excitement of opening presents that I thought a magical fat old man had delivered to me on Christmas Eve. Once that's done, its a slippery slope down to realizing you may order your own decent presents online because otherwise it's going to be wall to wall socks, toiletries and books you'd never read.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

It's no big deal, in fact most irish people just stop believing in Santy around the same time they start believing "De Gubberment" should supply them with everything they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

A professor from the University of New England in Australia also made the rather insightful claim that: bla bla bla

When is the professor's new book coming out?

So, lying about Santa can bring progenitor-offspring relations into a serious penumbra.

Anybody here resent their parents for maintaining the great Christmas masquerade? I sure as hell do.

Yes, but what are you doing about the tooth fairy?

Down with this sort of thing. Down with Santa. Down with the tooth fairy. Down with parents. Down with penumbras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I had neighbours that didn't do Santa with their kids. They were born again evangelicals and they thought it was wrong to have the kids believe in an imaginary being that rewarded them for being good. They thought it was idolatry.

So they told the kids that if they were good that God would leave presents under the tree on xmas morning.

That is so many kinds of messed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    It also prepares them for the fact religions are a sham
    And yet aliens and ancestral apes are real.

• Advertisement
Advertisement