Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

almost 4 year old tv not working

Options
  • 24-11-2016 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering what's fair and what are my rights, I bought two Finlux TV/Sat combination tvs from Harvey Norman almost 4 years ago in Jan 13 (to be confirmed when I find the receipt) The Tv cost €249 each or else €250
    One was for parents and it has stopped working completely, it just switched off while they were watching it, ours is still going strong.

Would I have a chance of HN doing something about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

It'd be a push as that could be considered a reasonable lifetime for a TV now, SCC court will be possibly only option but it can't hurt to ask them anyway, you'll definitely need the receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It can be anything up to six years but I would imagine that is for products at the higher end of the spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

A €250 low end TV .. i'd expect little from HN after 4 years.

considering you have had 4 years use from the TV .. what would the value of a 4 year old Finlux TV now be?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Loopy, first of all have you checked fuses etc? THe power cable could be faulty aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any chance it's something simple like the fuse gone or loose power cable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Not worth chasing this in the SCC tbh. The amount of use will be factored in to any potential win i.e. you've got 4 years from it, say we'll allocate €50 per year so you might be awarded €50 back - SCC costs ~ €30 = not worth it.

By all means give HN a push but you've not really got much of a comeback if they issue you a PFO unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Finlux is a low end rebrand of generic Turkish kit. 250 is not dear for a big TV.

Personally I'd just buy a new TV. You do have recourse to the courts if you have solid reason to believe its a manufacturing fault and the retailer does nothing; but, as said, for a TV of that age you could be awarded €50 or less. My current SCC adventure has cost 25 (court fee) + 6 (initial registered letter to retailer requesting restitution) + 1.20 (followup letter to courts service) so far so that gives you an idea of the cost.

Advertisement