Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mitre saw

Options
  • 24-11-2016 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭

In the market for a new saw , anyone have the modern Metabo saws, the 72 xact sym looks interesting, or should I splash out on a festool 120

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

The festool 120 is a great saw if you have the money get it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

So much to consider but if you are into a Festool budget have a look at a 12 " ( 305mm ) saw which will have more capacity. In practice cutting mitres on the vertical is a lot easier than on the flat and a 12" saw will have the maximum capacity. I always add a ply fence to a mitre saw and a zero clearance baseplate which makes the saw way safer. Have a look at the Milwaukee 12 " saw with a digital readout - a really useful feature which I wish other manufacturers would copy.For a workshop a mitre saw has to sit about 12" out from the wall assuming you want to fit dust extraction. The Bosch Axial glide saw gets over this - at a price of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The Milwaukee is an impressive looking saw, but I would have to see one before I spend, the digital readout looks good but would it last with the dust and knocks, there is a place in Glasnevin that sell Milwaukee but I don't have much time for looking at stuff at the minute, I have seen the Festool and know it's good but not much give on price in the shop, they don't do black FridayðŸ˜, in saying that a 12 inch saw in any of the recognized brands is close too or over 1k

The Milwaukee is an impressive looking saw, but I would have to see one before I spend, the digital readout looks good but would it last with the dust and knocks, there is a place in Glasnevin that sell Milwaukee but I don't have much time for looking at stuff at the minute, I have seen the Festool and know it's good but not much give on price in the shop, they don't do black FridayðŸ˜, in saying that a 12 inch saw in any of the recognized brands is close too or over 1k

I have a Milwaukee for about six years now and the readout is perfect. I make segmented bowls where I could be cutting angles of 11.25 so its great for that. If you only want to cut 2x4s all day long a 400 euro saw will do that. But If for instance you want to cut picture frames the refinement of the Festool might be justified - its a question of matching your needs to your budget ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

i have a milwaukee 12" here and to be honest id rarely use it. it looks the part but too big, too awkward and not near as precise as the festool. you wont go far wrong with a makita one of the best all round saws that cover nearly all bases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭The Reader

Guys

I am going to take on the the task of replacing old 6" skirting in the bedroom I was wondering if the Work Zone 8" sliding mitre saw on offer in Aldi would assist me . Its selling for €110 without the mitre stand. It looks a decent tool.

Sorry if this topic has already been covered

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

It would do the work ok , but budget price saws like that come with coarse blades, probably 24 teeth, for finish carpentry you would be better off with 80 to 100 teeth on the blade. Would you consider using a mitre box with a fine cut handsaw for external corners and scribe the internal corners using the hand saw and coping saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭The Reader

Hi Tabby.

Thank you for your very helpful contribution. Yes the blade is too course for finished carpentry, I take your point on the mitre box and handsaw ,had bad experience in the past with same, will keep an eye out for mitre saw with a blade more suitable for finish carpentry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

saw will probably be ok for the job. buy a good blade for it and it will improve a lot

The Reader wrote: »
    Guys

I am going to take on the the task of replacing old 6" skirting in the bedroom I was wondering if the Work Zone 8" sliding mitre saw on offer in Aldi would assist me . Its selling for €110 without the mitre stand. It looks a decent tool.

Sorry if this topic has already been covered

For a one off job I'm sure the Aldi saw will work However, all the 'supermarket' saws are made in China to a low standard so it wont' last forever and you might find quality 8" blades hard to get. I'd go for a budget 10" saw as that is the industry standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I had an evolution saw and I couldn't fault it till i buckled it when I dropped it. I got it in woodies about 5-6 years ago and it was a great buy, I think the price was around 120 at the time.

Advertisement