Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't want password visible.

Options
  • 24-11-2016 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I tried to log into my laptop today and when I put in my password I had a symbol that looks like an 'eye' on the right hand side coming up. When you click on it, it reveals the password.
    How do you undo it? I don't want my password to be made visible.
    How come its there in the first place? Did I press something by accident or did someone put it in deliberately?
    Thanks in advance.
    I have Windows 10.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If you click the eye again it should turn off if it doesn't do so automatically.

It just displays what's been typed in, your password won't be displayed from starting up the laptop or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Kornelia

Yes I understand but I don't want that 'eye' there at all. I don't want my password visible. Can I somehow turn off 'that eye'?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Kornelia wrote: »
    Yes I understand but I don't want that 'eye' there at all. I don't want my password visible. Can I somehow turn off 'that eye'?

Just...don't click it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can't turn it off. It's there so that if, like me, you have a complicated password that I frequently mistype, I can click on it just as a check, and click it again to hide it. If you don't want your password visible, then don't click the 'eye', simple.

• Advertisement

It was not on my laptop yesterday but its there today. other people use laptop as well so I don't want them to know my password. its frustrating coz 'eye' wasn't there yesterday. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If you don't click the eye then your password will just appear as blank dots, there's only going to be an issue if you click the eye

yes is there anyway to get rid of the eye? i didn't have it yesterday but it appeared today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

If you dont want your password to be visible, then dont click on the button that makes it visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The "eye" symbol does not display your password UNLESS you've typed it.

Log off (Windows+L) and then try to log in.

Your password is not visible until you type.

• Advertisement

where is the 'eye' coming from? I don't want it there. It somehow appeared. I tried logging on again but same thing the eye is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Just don't click the eye when you are logging on.

When you log out your password isn't left filled in so if another user comes along and clicks the eye it doesn't matter as there is nothing to display.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

where is the 'eye' coming from? I don't want it there. It somehow appeared. I tried logging on again but same thing the eye is still there.

Please stop & read the responses in the thread.

The "eye" is a user interface feature, designed to allow you to verify if you have typed your password correctly.

You can't get rid of it.
    It's watchinghelping you.
    FOREVER.

all-seeing-eye_design.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The 'eye' remains there for those who wish to check what they have typed in ...... whether that is you or any other user of the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

If it's that important the eye isn't winking at you, a quick google would suggest:

http://www.top-password.com/blog/remove-password-reveal-button-in-windows-10/

Be warned that editing your registry can cause issues.

ok thanks guys. :)

Advertisement