Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beech Hedging

Options
  • 24-11-2016 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I want to plant 22m of Beech Hedging (Bareroot) in my front garden, however all these nurseries are not interested in such a small amount (promising to get back to me, but don't). I have tried Hedging.ie also Derrylea Trees - would anyone have an idea where I could source this. I don't mind driving to pick up this hedging - I live in North KIldare.

Comments

Future forests (Google them) deliver nationwide. I'd say they will have no problem sending you 50 plants. €15 delivery charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 grainne whale

Thank you for that, Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Try Flannerys in Staplestown (near Donadea). They will have the saplings in bundles (20 or 25 I think)- with 22 m you will need a few bundles!

baaba maal wrote: »
    Try Flannerys in Staplestown (near Donadea). They will have the saplings in bundles (20 or 25 I think)- with 22 m you will need a few bundles!

I was going on 1 plant every foot and a half but maybe I'm wrong. 22m is 72 feet so nearly 50 plants

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I was going on 1 plant every foot and a half but maybe I'm wrong. 22m is 72 feet so nearly 50 plants

My understanding is that beech looks better if planted in a double row? Obviously cost comes into then,,,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

baaba maal wrote: »
    My understanding is that beech looks better if planted in a double row? Obviously cost comes into then,,,,

I got mine in Dunnes in Durrow, Laois if it's any good. Highly recommend them. I planted mine in a single row and after 5 years, it looks really well. It took really until this year to thicken out so if you can, I'd plant in two rows. My father did and his hedge filled out quicker but I had a lot more trees to plant so didn't do it (200m)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

I want to plant 22m of Beech Hedging (Bareroot) in my front garden, however all these nurseries are not interested in such a small amount (promising to get back to me, but don't). I have tried Hedging.ie also Derrylea Trees - would anyone have an idea where I could source this. I don't mind driving to pick up this hedging - I live in North KIldare.

None-so-hardy,biased in Wicklow, not far if you have to travel. Have always found them very competive and obliging,also deliver.
    Never a quibble about small quantities delivered to South Kerry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I bought a good lot of beech this time last year off K and M plants in Ballyhagan North Kildare.

Excellent quality plants and great to deal with. They'd sell you any quantity you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 grainne whale

Thank you for all the advice - I now have plenty of places in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

You can plant them that far apart if you like, but you'll be waiting longer for it to become established and fill in.
    It's recommended you plant them at a rate of 3 per yard for a single row or 4 per yard for a double row, personally I think the double row looks better and you practically have an instant hedge if you go with the plants that are 4-5 feet in size.
    OP you have 22m so call it 24 yards, a single row is 72 plants or 96 plants for a double row, you can buy 100 plants for €200 of the 4-5 feet size and you'll have an instant hedge, alternatively buy the smaller 2-3 feet ones and plant them at 1.5 feet intervals and wait forever for the hedge to fill in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement