Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paternity Leave

Options
  • 24-11-2016 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hey,

Have had a flick through other threads with the same title, but can't find the answer I'm looking for.

We've had a little baby (whoop!) and I'm going to take advantage of parental leave for us Dad's. I had the discussion with my boss (I have the luxury of working for a ridiculously sound company) and he's more than happy to keep me on full pay during my two weeks off as long as I can set systems in place to make sure everything is covered during my absence and I'm ok to take some calls and watch emails during my time off (which I'd have been doing anyway..)

My question is - given that my employer is offering full pay/ effectively two weeks extra paid holiday here do I still need to apply for paternity through welfare? and if I do am I going to be in the position of receiving the money from the government on top of my existing salary?

Thanks
    MI

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I assume it's like maternity leave? And if your company pays you then you receive your wages minus whatever you are entitled to for paternity benefit...

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/paternity_leave.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You don't receive money off the welfare AFAIK. They just reimburse your employer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

mordeith wrote: »
    You don't receive money off the welfare AFAIK. They just reimburse your employer

It depends on your employer how they work it. Some deduct the amount paid by social welfare and then you get the social welfare separately into your account.
    Other employers ask you to instruct social welfare pay them and they pay you as normal.
    As someone else said it will probably follow the same procedure as maternity leave if you've had any women in the company take that.

Advertisement