Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the only genuinely funny thing Jason Byrne ever said....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Al Porter was on McIntyre last night, he was and is an embarrassment. His comedy is straight from the 1970's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Big C wrote:
    Al Porter was on McIntyre last night, he was and is an embarrassment. His comedy is straight from the 1970's

The Brits love all that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Suckit wrote: »
    He was very annoyed when Tubridy got the LLS (he was an audience warmer upper), and stormed home like a kid who lost 3-and-in with their own ball. 
    He kicked up such a storm that all of his political connections made sure he got his own tv show.
    BTW, He is creepy and scary in real life, not just in his 'act'. 
    He is not a nice person on any scale.
    Run along, country boy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Big C wrote: »
    He will do well over there so, if Mrs Brown's boys is any indication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Run along, country boy...
    If that is lyrics to a song, it is lost on me. However (for the sake of posting) i can trace back my ancestry to Dublin all the way. With the exception of a few other foreign Capital Cities.
    But I myself will live in the Country when it is time to buy. I prefer the people, i prefer the view and i prefer the idea of having a proper community. There are probably another hundred things i prefer but can't think of at the minute.
    Unfortunately corruption grows and stinks everywhere.
    McBallbag and Tubridy are proof of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Haven't read all the posts so apologies for any repetition. T Tiernan. All he does is shout and use bad language. Saw Dara O ' Brien on that Mock the Week (?). He went off on a solo run doing some skit and kept going and going. His friend Ed was a guest on that episode and both of them were howling with laughter. They seemed to be enjoying themselves at any rate. Boring. Boring.

I can't remember any time I physically laughed at ANY comedian i have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

If you can count him as a comedian, Baz Ashmawy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

If you can count him as a comedian, Baz Ashmawy

Hes not a comedian, never claimed to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,260 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You should have stayed in your safe space Grayson.

One of his jokes involved shoving his crotch into a girls face and then continuously telling her to "touch it". No-one was laughing and you could tell the girl was really uncomfortable.

It was just such a weird dodgy vibe in there.

And btw, my favourite comedians are people like Frankie Boyle and Jim Jeffries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I threw a pint over Karl Spain in Galway once. It got a bigger laugh than he's ever achieved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I threw a pint over Karl Spain in Galway once. It got a bigger laugh than he's ever achieved.

That sound kinda lame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

What a d1ckhead move.

You dont sound very tolerant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

What did he do that got you to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

If that is lyrics to a song, it is lost on me. However (for the sake of posting) i can trace back my ancestry to Dublin all the way. With the exception of a few other foreign Capital Cities.
    But I myself will live in the Country when it is time to buy. I prefer the people, i prefer the view and i prefer the idea of having a proper community. There are probably another hundred things i prefer but can't think of at the minute.

It's a line from the Savage Eye...

A priest says "Run along Country Boy, I'll ride ya later"

Anyway, Bernard O'Shea and your one from the radio show he does in the morning is top of my list. As funny as a dose of the Clap (and that's less painful). I stopped listening to 2FM in the morning over that.

What did he do that got you to do that?
    Nothing. We were locked and he was walking by the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

So its ok for you to carry out a random assault but its not ok for someone to use the wrong pronoun while talking to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

So its ok for you to carry out a random assault but its not ok for someone to use the wrong pronoun while talking to you.

Yes :P /thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

And you think McSavage is the creep? Right so!:rolleyes:

This is before I turned when i was very angry and drank a lot. I know its not right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I said it before, but keep seeing it on Facebook every day and it absolutely bamboozles me how Rories Stories gets so many views and likes. Are people actually that braindead in this country that they find that funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

This is before I turned when i was very angry and drank a lot. I know its not right.

Sounds like an act of somebody who just wants attention and doesn't care if it's right or wrong.....and as for you throwing a pint at somebody.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

Not sure if he's been mentioned yet but Hector O'Huachaicheachain is pretty woeful.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭buried

el diablo wrote: »
    Not sure if he's been mentioned yet but Hector O'Huachaicheachain is pretty woeful.

Is he a 'comedian' though? He's just a Ryan Tubridy from the woods type yoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

Al Porter, like Alan carr, being camp is so annoying and unfunny
    Des Bishop and Mario Rosenstock were funny around in 2004 and just never evolved, coasting along their past glories
    Any facebook "comedians" especially Cian Twomey, I almost lose respect for people who share twomeys videos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

buried wrote: »
    Is he a 'comedian' though? He's just a Ryan Tubridy from the woods type yoke.

Tubridy from the woods. :pac: D'arsey or Brendan O'Connor are Turbridys from the woods.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

And you think McSavage is the creep? Right so!:rolleyes:
    You have lost me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Al Porter is just-tragic, tbh. Like, I commend him for talking about his depression (I have my own issues with Mental Health, revealing to anyone can be scary-even if its for something like time off from work for sickness). But he's not funny.

As for other Unfunny comics - the Nualas could have a funny moment or two on their own-but it was so rare. It really was. Kevin Gildea is the sister of Anne Gildea of the Nualas, and yeah, comedy is not meant for them. Kevin will get an odd one liner, but that's it. Anne did a program a few years ago detailing her battle with breast cancer- even showing the scars left post surgery when had a mastectomy. I applaud her for doing so, but I will admit at times it was uncomfortable because you felt like you were in the room, and sort of couldn't leave. Horrible disease, glad she survived it.

I, for the life of me, will never understand how Andrew Quirke got anywhere. He mocks and insults the people who pay for his dad and his brother's lifestyle (they're freaking millionaires) including his 21st, where the theme of the night was dressing like 'Chavs' and drinking Dutch Gold. Also, there was that time he wore Blackface in one of his youtube videos, prior to the Skanger Me Banger, and did a racist African Accent along with it. If comedy was a haemhorroid, it would be him. The video he took down, but you can find an image of the guy in black face on google. No, I won't link it. Also used the 'N' word, and no, I'm not gonna say it. Yeah, Louis CK would call that cowardly, but Louis CK isn't moderating and I don't wanna get banned.

Joanne McNAlly-PJ Gallaher told her she could be a comedian--tells you all you need to know. Just not funny at all. No fan of PJ either.

Twink never marketed herself as a comedian-but she thinks she is one-the horrific things she says though shows more fear than anything-of people in general.

Des Bishop-okay, this one I just find sad, to say, tbh. When Des first appeared, he was hilarious-genuinely. He took the pee out of everything, he had a really funny insight into stuff-the work placement on minium wage was funny. And then dear God, did things go wrong.
    Des teaches comedy-yeah, that was not funny. Des learns Irish-yeah, that was not fun or funny.
    My dad was nearly james Bond-okay, this one, I'm sorry, this one I liked. It was more for his dad, but considering his dad was dying, I wasn't gonna criticise it at all. As someone who lost their dad almost a decade ago, I got it, I understood it, and I realised why he did it. And the final scene with the whole family crying and hugging Des's dad-yeah, it got me. Had it Sky+ for about 3 weeks, finally sat down and watched it, and then about a week or two later, his dad passed away. That showed he could be really good, and really thoughtful, when he wasn't shilling- he was doing it for a genuine reason. IT could have been seen as exploitative, but it wasn't, instead, it was a darn heart string puller.

But RTE are seriously overkilling this guy-he's on the Irish DWTS, and he's got his own show too-no, not clever. He hasn't been relevant outside of the show about his dad, but to just shove him into two shows at once is a disaster waiting to happen.

Tommy Tiernan-Oh boy-did this guy dive down fast.I cannot decide if it was before or after him and Hector tried doing shows together that it was all going wrong. He had some genuine clever insights, but then he became 'shouty, howler monkey man' who starts mocking disability (unfunnily-and it can be done well, it can) and mocking immigrants. When he started doing mini-series, one about the US, another about him 'improvising' an entire show-it just showed his complete weaknesses, in full. The improvising show left people worried about him, and not enjoying it at all-like, the worst thing to do as an entertainer is to be boring, or have the audience concerned about your well being (unless there is genuine concern).

I used to really enjoy Colin Murphy-his days on Blizzard of Odd were really great. He would mock some of the Irish shorts, for sure, but then he would also be like 'But I wish the guys and gals who made this the best of luck in their future work'. But that show he did with Dermot Whelan, and others he has made about football and just acting like a dope-is just so tragic. He would be lambasting himself in his BoO days for this kind of rubbish. He's better than that.

As for the rest-Jason Byrne (terrible), Pj Gallaher (terrible), Maeve Higgins-I used to like her, she was really sharp minded and funny. Had a dark sense of humour too. But yeah, she's waned. Eleanor Tiernan-related to Tommy, so yeah. Similar pattern.

Deirdre O'KAne used to be funny-oh boy, emphasis on used to.

Tara Flynn-Oh God, she does all these voiceovers, but is only funny when someone writes material for her-otherwise, really bad. She does a joke about Bjork and it's brutal.

As for good comedians-Michael Redmond terribly underrated ( see below video). Stewart Lee called out Joe Pasquale for stealing one of Redmond's jokes-but then again, redmond wouldn't do it, because guys got enough material to keep him going. Pasquale is washed up, however. David O'Doherty, very talented, not crud from him, just comedy.
    I think Jarlath Regan is an understated comic-he's not everyone's tastes, but he can bring some clever material with him. We don't have too many good women comics here in Ireland.
    I did think Alison Spittle was humourous, but its more in a 'funny woman at the table' rather than funny comedienne. It would be great to have more women in comedy, but there aren't many good ones, at all. Tbh, I did find Stephanie Preissner interesting-she has this certain hard to pin down element to her that makes her intriguing, and she writes comedy, so not truly a comedian. And the episode of Cutting Edge she was on was just priceless for her expressions alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnrHaMa4xnE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭bobbyss

el diablo wrote: »

Yeah. Like many, he thinks we were created just to listen to him. Ed Byrne and Dare O'Brien did a trip to south America for TV. Again, they did a lot of pranking around and laughing at each other. Not one bit was even remotely funny. Boring stuff. Couldn't watch more than episode one. Tommy T seems to think the louder you shout, the funnier you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

See Des Bishop was a guest on Late Late show, do they really need to scrap the bottom of the barrel so bad?. Tubridy and Bishop together like some sorta Smugness challenge between them.
    Why not pay for a proper guest, God know's they are collecting enough in TV license fees. Why this guy gets pushed so much by RTE is beyond me. Not funny one bit and his smugness walks into a room an hour before he does.

Seen Al Porter at a thing I got free ticket to, seems like a nice genuine lad but sorry being gay doesn't automatically make you funny. Wish someone would inform him an act needs to be worked on. The ould 'aren't a gas man altogether cos I'm gay' wears reallllllly thin.

Advertisement