Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Tommy Tiernan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Don't get me wrong-I like funny people, I do-but when they start making themselves the 'height' of intelligence, you're in trouble. George Carlin could do that, but even he got it very wrong on occassion.
    Too many comedians do that-far too many. The insult thrown at the 'comments' section of the Journal-really? Really Des and BBBC? The commenters on that site (I know, I've left a few of my own) are often the one's who can see clearly through the total BS him and his ilk put out in the media(I speak of others, mind-I'm not as intelligent as some on there-seriously, no sarcasm intended). If someone has an opinion, that is well informed, then challenge that, look it up-if it's complete BS, grand, call em out-if it isn't, then let it stand. Debate is a good thing, too many soft skinned people can't even answer a question without being offended.
    As the great Steve Hughes would say (criminally underrated comedian-absolutely great) 'if you're offended-then fine, be offended'. But Des can't be offended-or he'll cry. He needs to be called out on his unfunny histrionics.

Tommy Tiernan even took a swing at him-saying that watcing Des on Dancing with the Stars will be like watching 'a friend going through a nervous breakdown' and that it was 'an awful day for IRish comedy'. I can't really disagree, but I think sometime long ago it was an awful day for Des-he stopped being funny.

Blindboy-oh dear. Like, he's the guy saying that in order to cure depression, 'men need to embrace feminism' with such delightful idiocy as the whole thing of 'if you have a problem with a woman paying for food, you've a problem-you need to let a woman take care of you'. Ummm, no, because that's what our mom's did. So trying to push an outdated ideology, which is what feminism has come to be, is not going to help mental health issues.
    Mental illness is a complex, and challenging, condition. Both for the sufferer and those treating the illness. You cannot just claim it can be cured or treated by a change of mindset. That's precisely the heart of the condition, as well as brain and chemical disorders. IT requires a whole host of treatments.
    Just stick to making jokes, and being comedic-don't try and push potentially dangerous opinions. And when discussing mental illness, that's what too many opinions are.

Blindboy didn t say that feminism was going to cure mental illness did he? Link please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Not far off.

ligerdub wrote: »
    Not far off.

Did he or didn t he?

I'm not going to be trapped by semantics over the word "cure".

• Advertisement

I'm not going to be trapped by semantics over the word "cure".

Like, he's the guy saying that in order to cure depression, 'men need to embrace feminism' with such delightful idiocy

You wrote it not me besides nobody s trying to trap you at all. I'm interested to know how you interpreted what he said about feminism and how you can stand over the above statement, That s all.

Wasn't me chief!

I suggest you watch the clip though.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

That lad Dobson, on the topical comedy show at 6 on RTE, as funny as diverticulitis, and as for his "straight woman", Sherrrawwwwnn Knee Byollllawwwwnn, absolutely rancid, if this is RTE's notion of comedy, I want my licence money back, if I've paid it, I'm not sure. Though, in fairness, the little sequences of "sport" with "Martee Morrrisssseee" can be hilarious.

Wasn't me chief!

I suggest you watch the clip though.

Apologies for attributing that to you. I ve watched the clip that s why I m waiting for a response from the original poster of that remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWUDQdiFB7A

I'm none too happy with any comment being referred to with 'such delightful idiocy'. I did my research, I watched the clip, I took notes.

He states-a lot of the mental health issues that are happening to young men are down to them not embracing feminism, and the notion of 'oh, I have to provide and protect her' and 'let her pay for a meal' and that will sort it out.

This is his full quote.

'I personally think that what these young men need is feminism – because when I’m down in Limerick speaking to lads that I know who are suffering from mental health issues, when I actually speak to them and get to the core of ‘what’s bothering you man?’ what they always say to me is ‘I have nothing to offer a woman’.
    The fact of the matter is that is a patriarchal attitude that is no longer relevant to us in the 21st Century.'

Well, that is just is a really misguided view of mental illness. Especially from someone highly educated like BBBC is. He's got a MAsters in Social Practice and the Creative Environment.
    If someone, male or female, has mental health problems-see a GP, see a counsellor, contact anyone you trust be it a parent or whoever. Just someone, anyone, to help. But Feminism is not gonna help you out with your mental health.

His 'embracing' of feminism is, in my opinion, the equivalent of 'thinking yourself no longer depressed'...well, no, that's like thinking yourself no longer diabetic, no longer alcoholic, no longer with a broken arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

I'm none too happy with any comment being referred to with 'such delightful idiocy'. I did my research, I watched the clip, I took notes.

He states-a lot of the mental health issues that are happening to young men are down to them not embracing feminism, and the notion of 'oh, I have to provide and protect her' and 'let her pay for a meal' and that will sort it out.

This is his full quote.

'I personally think that what these young men need is feminism – because when I’m down in Limerick speaking to lads that I know who are suffering from mental health issues, when I actually speak to them and get to the core of ‘what’s bothering you man?’ what they always say to me is ‘I have nothing to offer a woman’.
    The fact of the matter is that is a patriarchal attitude that is no longer relevant to us in the 21st Century.'

Well, that is just is a really misguided view of mental illness. Especially from someone highly educated like BBBC is. He's got a MAsters in Social Practice and the Creative Environment.
    If someone, male or female, has mental health problems-see a GP, see a counsellor, contact anyone you trust be it a parent or whoever. Just someone, anyone, to help. But Feminism is not gonna help you out with your mental health.

His 'embracing' of feminism is, in my opinion, the equivalent of 'thinking yourself no longer depressed'...well, no, that's like thinking yourself no longer diabetic, no longer alcoholic, no longer with a broken arm.

Good post stupid point by a guy trying to be profound but was foolish and shallow showing tunnel vision.

This is his full quote.

Do you really think that BBBC believes that to embrace feminism is the answer to mental health problems. Seriously? The message he was giving re feminism was to men who still have patriarchal view whereby they must be the sole provider or bread winner and that this belief is no longer relevant and they should embrace the equality which feminism in its truest form stands for. In my opinion thats a Simple sensible point.... don't live your life by societa/gender rules and expectations.

At no stage did he say this was the only cause of mental health issues but that having patriarchal beliefs contributed to the problems the lads he spoke with had. He also didn t say that people with mental health issues shouldn't talk to their GP etc but I ve heard him numerous times speaking of his own issues with anxiety and how CBT and counselling were what helped him and encoraged others to do the same. I think if he d used the word equality or gender expectations rather than feminism it wouldn t have triggered so many people, the point is sound, and Id add parental expectations or peer expectations and any other expectation that pressurizes anyone into 'having' to become someone or something before they re entitled to feel worthy.

That's what's been ascribed to the quote, and yes, I believe that he does. He has a limited amount of screen time on RTE, he knows how to do soundbites and how to get a message across in 10 minutes or an hour, as he has with other shows and songs.
    I understand the idea of societal strucutures, but that is equally affecting both men and women-for different reasons. I sincerely believe there is an equal amount of mental health problems amongst both men and women. In my lifetime, I have seen an equal amount of suicides amongst both men and women, both successful suicides, and attempted suicides. (I hate using the term successful, I sincerely do).

His language, 'get to the core' can be interpreted as 'the main problem'. So yes, I believe he does ascribe it to one reason. As do quite many, as the dislike to like ratio on that video is quite a bit higher in the 'dislike' ratio.

(Forgive me here, I'm going on a tangent, but it's something I see happening with RTE too often, and I am growing tired of it)

And RTE publicising it in such a manner, is another issue I have-there have been repeated 'band aid's' by RTE when it comes to this sort of thing. First, Donal Walsh-the tragic teen diagnosed with terminal cancer aged just 16. RTE promoted him as this 'saviour' to kids with depression, urging them to seek help. He died, they kept pushing this message, and then a Galway hurler named Niall Donohue, aged just 22, took his own life. And the media barely covered it-the reason, I feel, is because they wanted to keep pushing the message of Walsh. And it was a nice message, it really was-but it was the message of a 16 year old boy, not a clinical trained psychologist or psychiatrist.
    Instead of saying 'depression is different for everybody' we instead get the 'blanket statement/ blanket cure'.
    And folks didn't want to look into the reasons why a young, physically healthy young man would take his own life-instead, we get the band aid.

Ray D'Arcy has been admonished three times for comments on the abortion/ termination debate-yet when it comes to mental illness, RTE have been significantly worse in terms of their distribution of this idea.

That's what's been ascribed to the quote, and yes, I believe that he does. He has a limited amount of screen time on RTE, he knows how to do soundbites and how to get a message across in 10 minutes or an hour, as he has with other shows and songs.
    I understand the idea of societal strucutures, but that is equally affecting both men and women-for different reasons. I sincerely believe there is an equal amount of mental health problems amongst both men and women. In my lifetime, I have seen an equal amount of suicides amongst both men and women, both successful suicides, and attempted suicides. (I hate using the term successful, I sincerely do).

His language, 'get to the core' can be interpreted as 'the main problem'. So yes, I believe he does ascribe it to one reason. As do quite many, as the dislike to like ratio on that video is quite a bit higher in the 'dislike' ratio.

(Forgive me here, I'm going on a tangent, but it's something I see happening with RTE too often, and I am growing tired of it)

And RTE publicising it in such a manner, is another issue I have-there have been repeated 'band aid's' by RTE when it comes to this sort of thing. First, Donal Walsh-the tragic teen diagnosed with terminal cancer aged just 16. RTE promoted him as this 'saviour' to kids with depression, urging them to seek help. He died, they kept pushing this message, and then a Galway hurler named Niall Donohue, aged just 22, took his own life. And the media barely covered it-the reason, I feel, is because they wanted to keep pushing the message of Walsh. And it was a nice message, it really was-but it was the message of a 16 year old boy, not a clinical trained psychologist or psychiatrist.
    Instead of saying 'depression is different for everybody' we instead get the 'blanket statement/ blanket cure'.
    And folks didn't want to look into the reasons why a young, physically healthy young man would take his own life-instead, we get the band aid.

Ray D'Arcy has been admonished three times for comments on the abortion/ termination debate-yet when it comes to mental illness, RTE have been significantly worse in terms of their distribution of this idea.

Mental health has never been dealt with well by society or its institutions governments traditionally prefer to keep it in the family and or community rather than being proactive on a national level due to the resources that would entail.Even though research suggests a population with superior mental health would save the state in the long run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Brendan Grace is awful. He's been doing the same lame, unfunny act since the 90's.

Rainman16 wrote: »
    Brendan Grace is awful. He's been doing the same lame, unfunny act since the 90's.

And he steals jokes too-which always ticks me off-the 'famous' Rodney Dangerfield joke about 'I'm afraid to go to the toilet' I once heard him steal.

It's just lame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Rainman16 wrote: »

He's from that generation of comedians where it was considered normal to recycle the same material for years. Niall Toibin is the same. A great comic actor and racontour mind you but I remember RTE showed a standup show by him circa 1986/87 and again in mid 00's and the material was a good 80% the same despite the two shows being filmed twenty years apart.

darkdubh wrote: »
    He's from that generation of comedians where it was considered normal to recycle the same material for years. Niall Toibin is the same. A great comic actor and racontour mind you but I remember RTE showed a standup show by him circa 1986/87 and again in mid 00's and the material was a good 80% the same despite the two shows being filmed twenty years apart.

Niall funnier than 90% of the hacks on rte. At least he had talent and wit.

Like Tiernan been recyling the same ould garbage since year dot , Tobin had wit and subtley. Tiernan too busy laughing at his own jokes to ever understand that nuance and subtlety helps make comedy. The office proved this well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Like Tiernan been recyling the same ould garbage since year dot , Tobin had wit and subtley. Tiernan too busy laughing at his own jokes to ever understand that nuance and subtlety helps make comedy. The office proved this well.

Amazing he has sold out 20 shows this Xmas in vicar Street alone if he's so bad.

Either love him or hate him, personally I think he is a genius comedian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Niall funnier than 90% of the hacks on rte. At least he had talent and wit.

Tobin is a cabaret journeyman, its just his condescending persona convinced the peasants in the 80s that he was some sort of society wit who was just slumming it

Amazing he has sold out 20 shows this Xmas in vicar Street alone if he's so bad.

Either love him or hate him, personally I think he is a genius comedian.

No accouting for bad taste in people. McDonalds and Subway two biggest franchises in the the World. Utter mass produced chemical riddled gunk the food.Tiernan Mcdonalds of comedy in a Way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

No accouting for bad taste in people. McDonalds and Subway two biggest franchises in the the World. Utter mass produced chemical riddled gunk the food.Tiernan Mcdonalds of comedy in a Way.

In your opinion.

You think you have the only valid opinion in your small head.

In your opinion.

You think you have the only valid opinion in your small head.

Ah come on now Tommy dont take it personally.
    The small head is a very rare medical condition you wouldnt joke about that would you?Use someones misfortune and illness against them?
    Oh on second thoughts erm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Exactly and misses Browns boys is very popular for some unknown reason.

pgj2015 wrote: »

And when the movie was such a success-I could not believe it. That was crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

pgj2015 wrote: »

Do you miss them a lot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The Commitments was a comedy right? Saw it earlier and it was the most embarrassing thing I've seen years.

Horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

The Commitments was a comedy right? Saw it earlier and it was the most embarrassing thing I've seen years.

Horrendous.

The Commitments is a classic. One of the best Irish movies ever. ;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

el diablo wrote: »
    The Commitments is a classic. One of the best Irish movies ever. ;)

It's as good as this?

My God it's bad.

Advertisement