Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Give my head peace was HORRIBLE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Berserker wrote: »
    You thinking of 'The Blame Game'? 'Give My Head Peace' was alright. Uncle Uncle Andy was a great character.

Aye. The blame game is the one and it is absolute ****e.. it would be ok if it was ad lib but the scripted unfunny crap they come out with a jumbo sized multipack of canned laughter really takes the piss.

Give me head peace has a few ok moments but was mostly awful. It's the same silly sods in nearly everything on NI tv. They need new blood. And that doesn't include da from give me head peace.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

digzy wrote: »
    Tie between maeve Higgins and Bernard o Shea

Agreed both awful beyond belief. Years ago in the hapenny inn Maeve got angry with the audience for not laughing and demanded a heckler apologise. He kept going (he was actually funny) then she insulted the audience saying they had no sense of humour, storms off and bitches about the audience all night at the side of stage with a puss on her that would turn milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Comedians by their definition are people trying to be funny. That's where the problem lies with most of them.

I much prefer ordinary people just talking and through natural charm, fun, divilment you end up dying laughing at and with them. Be this on tv shows or in your ordinary day to day interaction with people.

Spike Milligan was a mad bipolar fella who just talked and you generally laughed :) I think that's why the O'Donovan rowing brothers are so well liked. They say what comes into their heads and it's not scripted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

nagdefy wrote: »
    Comedians by their definition are people trying to be funny. That's where the problem lies with most of them.

I much prefer ordinary people just talking and through natural charm, fun, divilment you end up dying laughing at and with them. Be this on tv shows or in your ordinary day to day interaction with people.

Spike Milligan was a mad bipolar fella who just talked and you generally laughed :) I think that's why the O'Donovan rowing brothers are so well liked. They say what comes into their heads and it's not scripted.

The Healy rae's are natural comedians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The Healy rae's are natural comedians.

Well Danny so far! I'd say The other brother is more 'scripted';)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

I loved the office at the time. Thought it was quirky and funny. Ricky gervais in his stand up routine was pretty crap. And he's not alone there. Same with peter Kay. The Phoenix club was genuinely laugh out loud at many times. His stand up routine..... ok but garlic .... bread is only funny the once if that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

Oh boy-she can be funny, in Irish Pictorial Weekly she had some clever moments. And some of her stand up has been good.
    But the first time I ever saw her comedy, boy howdy did she bomb. It was on TV, so many people saw it.
    Awful.

Any links to a video? :p
    nagdefy wrote: »
    Well Danny so far! I'd say The other brother is more 'scripted';)

Accidental comedians. Although people are laughing at them rather than with them.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

el diablo wrote: »

Accidental comedians. Although people are laughing at them rather than with them.
    That's what you do with comedians and they are laughing all the way to the bank ;)

Sam Kade wrote: »
    That's what you do with comedians and they are laughing all the way to the bank ;)

True. Money hand over fist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 midg234

Karl Spain, can't stand him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

timthumbni wrote: »
    Whenever i hear the words Irish comedy I get an unholy image of the guy ocarroll and mrs browns boys. ''Tis a sad image and not since give my head peace have I been so unimpressed....

The guy who played da in give my head peace has now a weekly so called "comedy" scripted panel show on bbc1 in with other Irish so called comedy artists. At least it saves the suicidal from getting out of their chairs...

Mrs Brown's Boys is jaded at this stage. When it became popular first back in 2011 it was funny but the concept never moved on. It is basically the same characters doing the same thing. Now it is reduced to handy Christmas filler and it is more or less the same thing done every year.

The lack of invention in RTE across all sectors results in all this poor fare. In the wake of Mrs Brown we got all these copycats and derivatives including The Walshes and Bridget and Eamonn. Katherine Lynch has pandered to the Mrs Brown audience every chance she gets with her female rural Monaghan styled version of Brendan O'Carroll influenced comedy.

The fact that BBC are also relying heavily on Mrs Brown shows that comedy there is not any better. Unlike a lot of things, Mrs Brown was genuinely popular but I don't think anyone (even committed fans of the series) rate these recent Christmas specials as good. I liked the first couple of series and they were funny. The Christmas episodes are jaded and the two from this year were the worst ever. I think this series was popular because of the early episodes but the later episodes are just uninventive rehashes of cliched Christmas comedy themes done far better in older series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Mrs Brown's Boys is jaded at this stage. When it became popular first back in 2011 it was funny but the concept never moved on. It is basically the same characters doing the same thing. Now it is reduced to handy Christmas filler and it is more or less the same thing done every year.

The lack of invention in RTE across all sectors results in all this poor fare. In the wake of Mrs Brown we got all these copycats and derivatives including The Walshes and Bridget and Eamonn. Katherine Lynch has pandered to the Mrs Brown audience every chance she gets with her female rural Monaghan styled version of Brendan O'Carroll influenced comedy.

The fact that BBC are also relying heavily on Mrs Brown shows that comedy there is not any better. Unlike a lot of things, Mrs Brown was genuinely popular but I don't think anyone (even committed fans of the series) rate these recent Christmas specials as good. I liked the first couple of series and they were funny. The Christmas episodes are jaded and the two from this year were the worst ever. I think this series was popular because of the early episodes but the later episodes are just uninventive rehashes of cliched Christmas comedy themes done far better in older series.

He's been doing Mrs Browns Boys for over 30 years now-started in radio, wrote books, tried to make a movie of it to (The one with Angelica Huston in the lead). It was tired long before it got to the UK. But for some reason they lapped it up over there.

Still, at least it's not the tragic 'JAson Byrne' comedy-God, that was horrific.
    Who remembers that abominable 'sitcom'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭pgj2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmmnzZeH7gA

jesus he is some ar$ehole, also not a funny bone in his body.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jaysisjames

Any Irish comedian who resorts to telling witty gags about how mad/ gas craic/ pi$$heads Irish people are should have their tongues removed for unoriginality.

Jason Byrne is devoid of talent and should not be making a living from comedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Mrs Brown's Boys is jaded at this stage.

If only. Tickets are on sale for the shows in December 2017 in the O2.
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmmnzZeH7gA

jesus he is some ar$ehole, also not a funny bone in his body.

Calling a paying customer a d'head. Let's hope showbiz works out for him. He won't get too far in the services industry, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

Berserker wrote: »
    If only. Tickets are on sale for the shows in December 2017 in the O2.

Calling a paying customer a d'head. Let's hope showbiz works out for him. He won't get too far in the services industry, that's for sure.

Suffered about two minutes. Anyone who pays money to see that ****e deserves no better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭pgj2015

mattser wrote: »
    Suffered about two minutes. Anyone who pays money to see that ****e deserves no better.

I watched a few more similar videos, where he picks people from the audience, the guy is a bully. some of the comments underneath must be written by him and his family and friends, "my face hurts after watching this, so funny"

A bully and lazy. He seriously is, just drag someone from the audience, take the proverbial pee out of them, then do that for 10 minutes.

He's like the spoilt schoolkid who nobody will tell to shut up. Even Patrick Kielty will calm the hell down if you tell him to stop being a jerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Cant actually think of an Irish comedian who has made me laugh in the past 5 to 10 years although I do admire people like Norton Dara O'briain who can cross over and make a success for themselves.

I have to cross the Atlantic to find comedians who can actually make me laugh. The likes of Jim Jeffries or Jim Breuer of Saturday Night. This interview cracks me up:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,195 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

timthumbni wrote: »
    The guy who played da in give my head peace has now a weekly so called "comedy" scripted panel show on bbc1 in with other Irish so called comedy artists. At least it saves the suicidal from getting out of their chairs...

I presume that's only on BBC1NI. The best thing about having a Freesat box is being able to set the default region to anything other than Northern Ireland, so I need never even hear about the existence of such shows again.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silverlight69

Katherine Lynch, Bridget & Eamon - Brutal
    Can't stand them.

Unfunny, just ridiculous and irritating

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lads has anyone here have any good stories of established comedians bombing (Irish or otherwise) and being booed off stage.

I've heard about the Andrew Maxwell one at the Cat Laughs festival but anymore would be welcomed. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

If anyone has any footage of same then even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Cant actually think of an Irish comedian who has made me laugh in the past 5 to 10 years although I do admire people like Norton Dara O'briain who can cross over and make a success for themselves.

I have to cross the Atlantic to find comedians who can actually make me laugh. The likes of Jim Jeffries or Jim Breuer of Saturday Night. This interview cracks me up:D.

Anti-funny

• Registered Users Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Katherine Lynch, Bridget & Eamon - Brutal
    Can't stand them.

Unfunny, just ridiculous and irritating

How Katherine Lynch became a professional comedian must be one of the greatest unsolved mysteries out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silverlight69

Suas11 wrote: »
    How Katherine Lynch became a professional comedian must be one of the greatest unsolved mysteries out there.

Can't fathom it either.

She will feature in RTE's Dancing With the Stars!

Can't fathom it either.

She will feature in RTE's Dancing With the Stars!

Stars eh? More like d list hacks

Can't fathom it either.

She will feature in RTE's Dancing With the Stars! Stars????????????

Des Bishop, a model who is most famous for being mugged and nothing much else, and KAtharine Lynch-yeah, those are the stars.

I will admitt that Thalia is a good looking girl and all, but I'm interested in more than looks tbh. Has to have a personality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl7ps7Wz8-I

KAtharine Lynch kind of worked her way up through the gay bars, apparently (no, I don't go to them-not my scene, and I'm not gay, so...) with drag queens and drag acts. But the shows she has done-dear God, some of em were so horrendous I was embarassed watching one episode.
    The Centre-that show alone made me hate irish comedy.

• Advertisement

Des Bishop, a model who is most famous for being mugged and nothing much else, and KAtharine Lynch-yeah, those are the stars.

I will admitt that Thalia is a good looking girl and all, but I'm interested in more than looks tbh. Has to have a personality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl7ps7Wz8-I

KAtharine Lynch kind of worked her way up through the gay bars, apparently (no, I don't go to them-not my scene, and I'm not gay, so...) with drag queens and drag acts. But the shows she has done-dear God, some of em were so horrendous I was embarassed watching one episode.
    The Centre-that show alone made me hate irish comedy.

Thalia is nice but not stunning. Ive done photos with much more striking women who are foreign and unknown here but from Russia/Brazil/Lithuania etc and whom posess much more sex appeal and allure than many famous Irish models. Personality can shine through in pics.

Des a model? Hmmmm. Though hes more of one than a comedian!.

Cringe factor might make it funny though.

Advertisement