Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Thalia is nice but not stunning. Ive done photos with much more striking women who are foreign and unknown here but from Russia/Brazil/Lithuania etc and whom posess much more sex appeal and allure than many famous Irish models. Personality can shine through in pics.

Des a model? Hmmmm. Though hes more of one than a comedian!.

Cringe factor might make it funny though.

I think the comma there breaks up the sentence- though yeah, it could be misread.

I too have met some stunningly beautiful girls-some of whom I'm like 'gahhhhh'-and can barely, if I'm lucky, string a sentence together.

A friend of mine did some modelling work to help out a photographer friend of his. The girl he worked with, a dancer, and model, was drop dead stunning. As were many of his friends he introduced me to (like, DAMMMMM, I forgot my name stunning).

The problem I see with too many models is they are boring. Yet I can pick out so many beautiful girls who would make models jealous- and they don't realise it. And yeah, many of them are not Irish. They have amazing personalities, beauty, and I'm like 'whoa'-I've had those moments, almost walked into a walk once or twice.

It's Nicky Byrne and Amanda Byram-the cringe will be enormous. I've seen Byram in a few shows, The Swan, PAradise Hotel, Wipeout I think. She is cringe. And Nicky Byrne, dear God, the less said of him the better-I think we're all recovering from Million Euro challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Nicky Byrne is one of the biggest flutes on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

I think the comma there breaks up the sentence- though yeah, it could be misread.

I too have met some stunningly beautiful girls-some of whom I'm like 'gahhhhh'-and can barely, if I'm lucky, string a sentence together.

A friend of mine did some modelling work to help out a photographer friend of his. The girl he worked with, a dancer, and model, was drop dead stunning. As were many of his friends he introduced me to (like, DAMMMMM, I forgot my name stunning).

The problem I see with too many models is they are boring. Yet I can pick out so many beautiful girls who would make models jealous- and they don't realise it. And yeah, many of them are not Irish. They have amazing personalities, beauty, and I'm like 'whoa'-I've had those moments, almost walked into a walk once or twice.

It's Nicky Byrne and Amanda Byram-the cringe will be enormous. I've seen Byram in a few shows, The Swan, PAradise Hotel, Wipeout I think. She is cringe. And Nicky Byrne, dear God, the less said of him the better-I think we're all recovering from Million Euro challenge.

Well there was a thing on facebook about Des Bishop doing a show for a tenner and many many people said they wouldn't cross the street to see him so it's a common thing he sucks.
    I find it odd he says he was an alcoholic and is now sober as anyone I know who did the 12 steps now is very humble and devoid of ego the complete opposite of Des. He is totally obsessed with serving his ego and being right and asserting his own opinions (look at that show on RTE2, could have had several type shows, but he chooses one in which it's all about him and his opinions regardless of how nonsensical they are). This is delusional grandeur. Anyone whom has a spiritual awakening couldn't care less of these things. He even lectures on alcoholism!. So totally engrossed in his ego it's extraordinary, really as far as I can see has learned little or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Katherine Lynch. pass the puke bucket.
    There are some good lesser known Irish comedians doing the pubs and clubs but it seems like the s****e always floats to the top in RTE.

Katherine Lynch. pass the puke bucket.
    There are some good lesser known Irish comedians doing the pubs and clubs but it seems like the s****e always floats to the top in RTE.

Shes vulgar. Appeals to the lowest brow humour. Shows ya the contempt RTE have for viewers. Any old crap will do for the public!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silverlight69

"You could light up the M 1 with your teeth" Dustin to Nicky Byrne.

Katharine Lynch has a production company that is responsible for all her crud. Dear God...and what irritates me the most is how she peddles this 'stereotype' of the irish traveller, without any traveller blood in her. Like, Rubberbandits, yeah, they're prosletyzing is ridiculous, but the image they send up is of their own native Limerick. When Lynch mocks travellers, with a horrendous stereotype, it only insults them-there are funny as hell traveller folks out there, but they are funny as themselves, not mocking other people. IF they choose to mock their culture, let em. IT's their culture. Lynch doesn't own that right.

Des-oh boy, yeah. Tbf, when he did the 'Des Bishop on binge drinking' mini series-he did let his guard down in the rehab place- his voice breaks. It wasn't a huge portion of the program, but it did show that behind the ego is the same 'lost boy'.
    Doesn't make him a good comic, but it still shows he's not as confident as he'd like.

Thalia is interesting, but she needs more meat on her bones tbh. At least in my eyes. Some girls are too thin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEvTUgsNdhA&t=41s

Katharine Lynch has a production company that is responsible for all her crud. Dear God...and what irritates me the most is how she peddles this 'stereotype' of the irish traveller, without any traveller blood in her. Like, Rubberbandits, yeah, they're prosletyzing is ridiculous, but the image they send up is of their own native Limerick. When Lynch mocks travellers, with a horrendous stereotype, it only insults them-there are funny as hell traveller folks out there, but they are funny as themselves, not mocking other people. IF they choose to mock their culture, let em. IT's their culture. Lynch doesn't own that right.

Des-oh boy, yeah. Tbf, when he did the 'Des Bishop on binge drinking' mini series-he did let his guard down in the rehab place- his voice breaks. It wasn't a huge portion of the program, but it did show that behind the ego is the same 'lost boy'.
    Doesn't make him a good comic, but it still shows he's not as confident as he'd like.

Thalia is interesting, but she needs more meat on her bones tbh. At least in my eyes. Some girls are too thin.

Never seen it. To me Des his smugness and arrogance knows no bounds. Hardly the personality of someone whos completely humbled themselves and let go of egotism to defeat addiction. He just assumes hes an expert on it as hes an alcoholic (allegedly). Him being in a rehab place? Were they trying to make people relapse?!? Christ Id inject heroin into my eyeballs if I had to listen to his holier than thou condesending preaching.

Deidre O Kane in the daiIy mail the other day saying hecklers are dead to her and she hates anyone who talks at gigs. Arrogance personified for such a awful comedian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87kAzyllMRE

Someone uploaded the entire series to youtube-its episode three, somewhere around the 18 minute mark when he lets his guard down.
    The ever present talking head, Una Mullaly, does make an appearance too-but not in that episode, thankfully.

PEople wouldn't be talking at her comedy shows if they were funny-she's hardly a comedian now anyway, does the odd bit of tv presenting, and a bit of acting, and that's it. She's not a bad actress, but a terrible comedian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Mrs. Brown's Boys NYE on. My God it's jaded. Not remotely funny now. Totally relying on double entendre or the word fu*k for humour. Exceptionally poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

nagdefy wrote: »
    Mrs. Brown's Boys NYE on. My God it's jaded. Not remotely funny now. Totally relying on double entendre or the word fu*k for humour. Exceptionally poor.

Agree 100 %. Complete and utter garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jaysus, I've seen clothes hangers that were fatter than this poor young wan, whoever she is

Bambi wrote: »
    Jaysus, I've seen clothes hangers that were fatter than this poor young wan, whoever she is

Yeah, she's still young tho, like, 20. So she's got time. I remember folks use to go insane at how thin Jodie Kidd was-then she started drinking guinness and eating pizza.
    She was quite the looker after that-emphasis on was, cos she did something to her face in the last few years, besides cocaine, and she does not look good anymore. Hell no.
    Apparently had a bad attitude too, based on how she couldn't recover from a drugs scandal as well as Kate Moss did.

Alison Spittle and Andrex Maxwell on Des Bishop NYE show. Surely 3 unfunniest comedians in one place ever? Was RTE low on funding. Say Alison and Andrew appeared for few Supermacs vouchers.

Alison Spittle and Andrex Maxwell on Des Bishop NYE show. Surely 3 unfunniest comedians in one place ever? Was RTE low on funding. Say Alison and Andrew appeared for few Supermacs vouchers.

Spittle can be genuinely nice on twitter, and facebook-and I got a good few chuckles out her when she was on Cutting Edge.

But MAxwell-dear God, how tragic is that guy-once had potential as a comic, now, nothing. Terrible.

Spittle can be genuinely nice on twitter, and facebook-and I got a good few chuckles out her when she was on Cutting Edge.

But MAxwell-dear God, how tragic is that guy-once had potential as a comic, now, nothing. Terrible.

Spittle said men trying to be masculine and proud causes school shooting. So men being men makes them murderers?

Talk about nasty and stupid. Same logic as saying feminism causes paedophilia.

Spittle said men trying to be masculine and proud causes school shooting. So men being men makes them murderers?

Talk about nasty and stupid. Same logic as saying feminism causes paedophilia.

Well, I think one needs to read between the lines there- it's something that's been mentioned and reported on by quite a few others.
    With the 'men being masculine and proud' is essentially-they aren't talking about their problems - like, many argue that most of the school shootings could have been avoided if someone had asked the kids what was wrong? A lot of the kids were male, and a lot of them were troubled. We heard it all the time, these troubled kids, who needed help. Some of them were too proud to ask for help, but most were outcasts who people didn't even talk to. A simple chat could have solved so many issues.

The other woman, the 'radical' feminist, who was on that show was the one telling Tom McGurk how his job was done-despite never having seen him work-she was bat spit insane-'it was understood not to have anyone on that didn't have a penis'...really, really lady who wasn't even born when McGurk started his job? Even McGurk was like 'yeah, not gonna answer that, cos it doesn't deserve an answer'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Went to the City limits comedy club in Cork Friday night. Fred Cooke was the headline, he was actually pretty good too. He's one of those RTE comics but he was very entertaining. Good original material and a bit of music added in.

The support act though, Ross Browne was just horrible.. I cant even go into detail how bad he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Have to agree. After the torture of the Christmas episodes I avoided this like the plague. No doubt they will show them again before the Christmas/New Year period is out and they will show them over and over and over for the next year as well.

Mrs Brown's Boys relies 100% on smutty humour and swear words. These Christmas and New Year specials have become poorer and poorer over the years. A certain nastiness exists too with how Mrs Brown treats the grandfather character.

Is this really all they can show? They rely 100% on both new and old episodes of this for every special occasion. Expect to see more of her on St Patrick's Day and at Easter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Have to agree. After the torture of the Christmas episodes I avoided this like the plague. No doubt they will show them again before the Christmas/New Year period is out and they will show them over and over and over for the next year as well.

Mrs Brown's Boys relies 100% on smutty humour and swear words. These Christmas and New Year specials have become poorer and poorer over the years. A certain nastiness exists too with how Mrs Brown treats the grandfather character.

Is this really all they can show? They rely 100% on both new and old episodes of this for every special occasion. Expect to see more of her on St Patrick's Day and at Easter.

Good observation re. the grandad. It's always i wish he'd effing die etc.

The Fr.Ted Christmas special is from 1995 and it's wearing better than Mrs. Brown episodes from this decade.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

The Fr.Ted Christmas special is from 1995 and it's wearing better than Mrs. Brown episodes from this decade.

and looks more modern too

philstar wrote: »
    and looks more modern too

Mrs Browns Boys has been dated for the best part of a decade, tbh.

All jokes we heard on the schoolyard playground, with a bit of 'f**k' and 'sh*t' thrown in for good measure.

Fr Ted on the other hand was making fun of some 'sacrisanct' stuff-some of it still taboo to this day.

Mrs Browns boys is just the Carry on Movies with a mobile phones.

So true. Couldnt believe the cursing in it. So unnecessary. F this F that F ing man F your one me F ing hole me F ing arse f ing Christmas f the the kettle is on etc etc.
    So crude and vulgar.
    Desperately poorly written comedy and plays on such negative stereotypes of f ing Dublin! .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Just look at some of his old vhs stand up shows on youtube. Literally no jokes, just saying f**k every now and then which makes the audience go into hysterics as if they've never the word before. Oh and racist and incredibly homophobic they are to boot.

Just look at some of his old vhs stand up shows on youtube. Literally no jokes, just saying f**k every now and then which makes the audience go into hysterics as if they've never the word before. Oh and racist and incredibly homophobic they are to boot.

Or screaming-guys like Sam Kinison, who get all this 'praise' but who's career was dying in the months before he died in a car accident.

He's a terrible comic-one note, to say the least.

Or screaming-guys like Sam Kinison, who get all this 'praise' but who's career was dying in the months before he died in a car accident.

He's a terrible comic-one note, to say the least.

Had his moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Senna wrote: »
    Went to a Tommy Tiernan show a few years back, was giving him another chance after a good few years of being rubbish. He walked on the stage and announced the warm up, his cousin. People genuinely though he was jokeing, but it was no joke, and that's how the evening continued. It was a painful experience.
    I like her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Neil Delamere make me want to throttle him.

Thats bad if you get paid for being a comedian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ligerdub wrote: »
    Comedy is **** right now. Too many mediocre acts following the same BS, let's make a joke about Donald Trump or Nigel Farage, yawn!

The UK has very few acts of true quality. The US is better but they have the same problem. Louis CK, Bill Burr, after that the list gets tough to fill.

Bill Burr is a great comedian Irish comedians should watch him in awe. Had pint with him after his show years ago in the sugar club. Nice lad,
    Dark cynical comedy done right.
    He was funny in Breaking Bad too.
    I'd listen to Bill burr all day... His pod cast is excellent

• Advertisement

I like her

Eleanor Tiernan?!?! Safe to say if ould cuz wasnt Tommy she wouldnt be a comedian.

Advertisement