Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

I was driving the other day & listning to RTE 1 radio & the comedy showhouse with Sean Hughes, My God it was terrible, it was so terrible that I could not switch it of as I just could not belive my ears at the absolute non funny/humour crap I was listning to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

nagdefy wrote: »
    Good observation re. the grandad. It's always i wish he'd effing die etc.

The Fr.Ted Christmas special is from 1995 and it's wearing better than Mrs. Brown episodes from this decade.

I think it is time Mrs Brown's Boys is axed at this stage. It is a total bore at this stage. The same old thing over and over.

Fr Ted is a classic comedy that is timeless. Of course the Todd Unctious Christmas special from 1995 is way way superior to any of the Mrs Brown specials. It also brings home how poor Irish comedy has become since then too.

Mrs Brown is just way too one dimensional for a lead character. Not much is done with her. With Fr Ted, he was doing the Eurovision, doing an Elvis tribute, going on holidays, meeting Victor Meldrew, minding a sheep, protesting about a film, etc. Fr Ted is well thought out classic comedy with different things in each episode. Mrs Brown's Boys is the same episode repeated over and over.

Mrs Browns Boys has been dated for the best part of a decade, tbh.

All jokes we heard on the schoolyard playground, with a bit of 'f**k' and 'sh*t' thrown in for good measure.

Fr Ted on the other hand was making fun of some 'sacrisanct' stuff-some of it still taboo to this day.

Mrs Browns boys is just the Carry on Movies with a mobile phones.

That's exactly what Mrs Brown's Boys is. A poor man's version of the Carry On franchise with mobile phones, curse words and smut.

Mrs Brown's Boys got lucky in early 2011. She was at the time the perfect way to start off 2011 and the antidote to being snowed in watching Pat Kenny pontificating about banks and bailouts and other such doom and gloom in the dying weeks of 2010.

Jump forward 6 years and whatever escapist appeal she offered is irrelevant. The first series was generally decent and the second was ok. But it is obvious that it is being milked dry at this stage. It was never a series that had the potential to run for many years as the concept was limited. A bit of escapism and an antidote to the woeful The Frontline and all this political drivel that dominated back around the 2011 period it was. Something to be shown every Christmas it most certainly shouldn't be as the quality of those episodes are abysmal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Al Porter, paid 55 euro to see im, turned up late, came on stage at 11.45pm and walked off 25 mins later.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Mrs Brown's Boys is just, effectively, a live version of O'Carroll reading through one of those joke books you get at Xmas "to read on the loo" shoe horned into some sort of attempt at a narrative. Does he win awards for "writing" the shows? He hardly deserves it.

I know all the cast are family members too, his wife is an awful actress and their "look at us making a mess of the lines, isn't that hilarious" is repeatedly used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

razorblunt wrote: »
    Mrs Brown's Boys is just, effectively, a live version of O'Carroll reading through one of those joke books you get at Xmas "to read on the loo" shoe horned into some sort of attempt at a narrative. Does he win awards for "writing" the shoes? He hardly deserves it.

I know all the cast are family members too, his wife is an awful actress and their "look at us making a mess of the lines, isn't that hilarious" is repeatedly used.[/quote

The walking out in front of the audience on to the other room too was funny the first 5 times

razorblunt wrote: »
    Mrs Brown's Boys is just, effectively, a live version of O'Carroll reading through one of those joke books you get at Xmas "to read on the loo" shoe horned into some sort of attempt at a narrative. Does he win awards for "writing" the shoes? He hardly deserves it.

I know all the cast are family members too, his wife is an awful actress and their "look at us making a mess of the lines, isn't that hilarious" is repeatedly used.

It is obvious this is extremely cheaply made. His wife is a poor actress and all this messing up the lines along with the camera man bursting into a scene gives it a totally unprofessional look.

It suits RTE who claim to have no money to keep making cheaply made poor quality comedy series. If drivel like the recent Mrs Brown's Boys specials and Irish Pictorial Weekly is the best they can offer, is it any wonder people are turning away from RTE in their droves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭joeguevara

It is obvious this is extremely cheaply made. His wife is a poor actress and all this messing up the lines along with the camera man bursting into a scene gives it a totally unprofessional look.

It suits RTE who claim to have no money to keep making cheaply made poor quality comedy series. If drivel like the recent Mrs Brown's Boys specials and Irish Pictorial Weekly is the best they can offer, is it any wonder people are turning away from RTE in their droves?

Its made by the BBC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The only funny thing or thing of note that Jason Byrne has ever done was as referee of the All-Priests five-a-side Over-75s Indoor Challenge Football Match in Father Ted.

Otherwise, awful.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Its made by the BBC.

Which suits RTE even better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

alie wrote: »
    Al Porter, paid 55 euro to see im, turned up late, came on stage at 11.45pm and walked off 25 mins later.:mad:

You paid E55 to see Al Porter?
    The joke was on you long before his no show my friend.

Is Citizen Khan Irish? He's hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Capt Peacock

I have never laughed at anything Dara O'Briain has said. His smug (usually sarcastic) delivery, as he smacks his lips, laughs and says 'And eh..' drives me nuts.

How he so popular I'll never know.

He shared Jonathon Ross's agent in UK and Ross never missed an opportunity to big him up both on TV and Radio. This brought him to the attention of UK tv producers as well as the public. He was a constant guest on Wossys shows and it always cracked me up that after the huge build up that Ross gave him about being such a hilarious comedian and massive talent O'Briain came on and spoke and he had absolutely nothing funny to say. It was like someone let the air out of the balloon. He had chops but they certainly weren't comedy chops. A really good comedian would then take over an interview and go wherever they wanted but D'OB simply answered Rossys questions in a slightly nervous way adding nothing funny whatsoever. The guy is stealing a living.

He shared Jonathon Ross's agent in UK and Ross never missed an opportunity to big him up both on TV and Radio. This brought him to the attention of UK tv producers as well as the public. He was a constant guest on Wossys shows and it always cracked me up that after the huge build up that Ross gave him about being such a hilarious comedian and massive talent O'Briain came on and spoke and he had absolutely nothing funny to say. It was like someone let the air out of the balloon. He had chops but they certainly weren't comedy chops. A really good comedian would then take over an interview and go wherever they wanted but D'OB simply answered Rossys questions in a slightly nervous way adding nothing funny whatsoever. The guy is stealing a living.

Is Dara O'Briain the bald guy who calls himself the Crowd Tickler and has a DVD of that name? I think he is. He is not the worst of them by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

**** sake dude constant guest!!! exaggeration is always the tool of the man with no rational argument everything you said in that thread reeks of bitterness and jealousy. Why not just say I don t really like his approach to humour but fair play its a really difficult career and he s done really well out of it.

I've never even heard Wossy mention him

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Capt Peacock

Dannyriver wrote: »
    **** sake dude constant guest!!! exaggeration is always the tool of the man with no rational argument everything you said in that thread reeks of bitterness and jealousy. Why not just say I don t really like his approach to humour but fair play its a really difficult career and he s done really well out of it.

Lol...im bitter and jealous cos i have a different point of view to yours, improve your debating skills fella.
    As for your argument that he has done well out of comedy....so what. So has his mate Ed Byrne and he isnt funny either. Good day sir!

Lol...im bitter and jealous cos i have a different point of view to yours, improve your debating skills fella.
    As for your argument that he has done well out of comedy....so what. So has his mate Ed Byrne and he isnt funny either. Good day sir!

Rationalize, it which ever way you want, and you having a different point of view to me is fine, I wouln't be a huge fan of DOB s stuff myself but I respect his hard work and success. Your attack on him was full of invective, jealousy and bitterness. I don t expect you to see it that way but that s fine as the great Robert Wyatt says 'what spider understands arachnophobia' good day to you too sir!

el diablo wrote: »
    Those clowns with the Superquinn bags on their heads are without a doubt the worst excuses for comedians Ireland has ever produced. :)

You ll be pleased to know that those unfunny comedians are on the trainspotting 2 soundtrack, Both Irving Welsh and Danny Boyle are huge fans since they first saw Spastic Hawk in 2011. What do make of that ? Not bad for a pair of muppets who you predicted would be serving burgers in Super macs a month after Horse outside. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Yeah, Trainspotting 2. "That looks good" - No one ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

You ll be pleased to know that those unfunny comedians are on the trainspotting 2 soundtrack, Both Irving Welsh and Danny Boyle are huge fans since they first saw Spastic Hawk in 2011. What do make of that ? Not bad for a pair of muppets who you predicted would be serving burgers in Super macs a month after Horse outside. :D

Are you their agent? You seem obsessed with these clowns....
    And I've no idea who Invine Welsh or Danny Boyle are so that's hardly going to change my opinion.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Are you their agent? You seem obsessed with these clowns....
    And I've no idea who Invine Welsh or Danny Boyle are so that's hardly going to change my opinion.

You've no idea how much fun I get out of ribbing you man I really need to grow up , I totally predicted your reply ...very funny . Cheers Enjoy the movie , I heard the Bandits track is used in a scene so find out from some friends when exactly ...and sure you can nip out for your pop corn at that point and then pretend you didn t notice they were in it ...it ll be grand. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭baza Rakus

Neil Delamare is the archetypal unfunny Irish comedian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

You've no idea how much fun I get out of ribbing you man I really need to grow up , I totally predicted your reply ...very funny . Cheers Enjoy the movie , I heard the Bandits track is used in a scene so find out from some friends when exactly ...and sure you can nip out for your pop corn at that point and then pretend you didn t notice they were in it ...it ll be grand. :D

I'm assuming you're a teenager which would explain your support for these plastic bag wearing simpletons. In a few years time you'll (hopefully) look back at your Rubber Bandits infatuation with embarrassment.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

I'm assuming you're a teenager which would explain your support for these plastic bag wearing simpletons. In a few years time you'll (hopefully) look back at your Rubber Bandits infatuation with embarrassment.

Yeah teenager same as Danny Boyle and Irvine welsh sure anybody who understands the Bandits must be a teenager... All jokes aside though It s great news for an Irish act to be on such a prestigious soundtrack isn't it? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Brendan Grace :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

LordSutch wrote: »
    Brendan Grace :(

TV3 keep showing his darn videos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yeah, Trainspotting 2. "That looks good" - No one ever.

Seriously? There's a lot of people, myself included, that are looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

alie wrote: »
    You should have gone to see him in a panto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Suas11 wrote: »
    Seriously? There's a lot of people, myself included, that are looking forward to it.

My reaction after seeing the trailer was...why?

Advertisement