Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭cms88

Rory's Stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

cms88 wrote: »
    Rory's Stories

A thousand times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

Rubber bandits and their jumping on the pc bandwagon to stay relevant

Has Cian Twomey died down yet on Facebook (as finally the block function finally works on him) or has he finally learned a new joke (or still beating the girlfriend joke )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Tara Flynn. Even at my most bed-ridden and hungover, I'd get up to change the station. Utterly objectionable.

Sometimes I can see where she's going with a joke, and often there's potential, but she has never evoked anything more than a facepalm from me, personally.

Never listened to her on the radio but anytime I've seen her on TV panel shows she exudes this air of smugness. And she's not funny.

Has Cian Twomey died

Jesus, don't get my hopes up like that.

• Advertisement

Has Cian Twomey died down yet on Facebook (as finally the block function finally works on him) or has he finally learned a new joke (or still beating the girlfriend joke )

My biggest issue with both, well Towmey is a prick, is the fact they don't accept any form of criticism. More over Towmey. Will claim he's being bullied

A thousand times.

Was funny at the start to be fair to him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Dutch Gold Society

99% of Irish comedians are unfunny. Worse are our home grown sitcoms which seem to boil down to rural stage Irishmen speaking exaggerated accents.

I guess it's because anyone with an iota of talent gets on the boat for England.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Dutch Gold Society

The constant preaching from the Rubber Bandits is unbearable. In fact there is huge gap in the market for someone who can rile up the earnest sjw types.

There's the 2 Johnnies that are right out of some 1970's rural time machine. If you think silage and GAA is funny then go ahead, but they are the dirt worst and everything that's wrong with the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

99% of Irish comedians are unfunny. Worse are our home grown sitcoms which seem to boil down to rural stage Irishmen speaking exaggerated accents.

You obviously haven't had the dubious pleasure of seeing Mrs Browns Boys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

Maeve Higgins. Are RTE still giving her a platform? :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

My biggest issue with both, well Towmey is a prick, is the fact they don't accept any form of criticism. More over Towmey. Will claim he's being bullied

A cousin was in his year and said he was the most obnoxious douche bag who thought he was funny but most found him a nuisance - and a lot found his anti bullying campaign hypocritical and hysterical that he goes blocking and reporting any negative posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Was funny at the start to be fair to him

I think most of them are funny at the beginning, and then they just don't quit while they're ahead.
    But that happens in everything-including the Simpsons. The difference is that with the Irish (and I would even add quite a lot of British ones) they burn out a lot quicker. Mainly because they hammer the same joke, over, and over, and over again. In comedy, you're known for routines about family, or employment, or life in general. In Irish comedy, it's 'known for one joke'.
    el diablo wrote: »
    Maeve Higgins. Are RTE still giving her a platform? :rolleyes:

Didn't she go off to America?

https://twitter.com/maevehiggins/status/907688632068308993

Oh get over yourself, Maeve...cos of this tweet. ^ ^ :mad:

Rory was never funny, ever. His first "joke" was about a builder going to get a long stand. I mean, for God sake...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

Rory was never funny, ever. His first "joke" was about a builder going to get a long stand. I mean, for God sake...

Ah here, leave it out. That's an auld classic.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

It's like a new comedian opening his set with Knock, Knock jokes. It's pathetic.

Just saw a Rory's Stories for the first time there.

Is it all that "Irish fellow does sketch about authentic Irish life showing how gas we are" stuff?

Not funny, not original (in fact flogged to death), poor poor fare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭mikep

David O'Doherty has to be one of the worst.
    Using an '80s kids keyboard to "sing" unfunny songs..No thanks

Also Maeve Higgins.....

A cousin was in his year and said he was the most obnoxious douche bag who thought he was funny but most found him a nuisance - and a lot found his anti bullying campaign hypocritical and hysterical that he goes blocking and reporting any negative posts

Apparently he goes out of his way to find negative posts and Twitter and abuses people over it. As you say quite hypocritical from Mr anti bully

• Advertisement

Is it all that "Irish fellow does sketch about authentic Irish life showing how gas we are" stuff?

Anything with the most Irish _______ is so bloody over done , like Irish mammys , you know your Irish when or acting a stereotypical cultchie - it’s so annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I haven't seen many Irish comedians, to be honest, but the best those I have seen were those who didn't seem totally Irish. There's a strong parochial streak in Irish Arts in general, the tendency to do things that only the Irish will get, and so it's not surprising to me that most bomb horribly when they try to crack the UK or USA.

One gig had this female comedian who seemed to be trying to be Jo Brand - who's an acquired taste, but at least her humour has some substance to it - and failing badly. Tommy Tiernan, too - most of his stuff goes under my radar, because I'm not Irish. Jokes like these, trying to insult every county in Ireland, don't travel well.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

bnt wrote: »
    I haven't seen many Irish comedians, to be honest, but the best those I have seen were those who didn't seem totally Irish. There's a strong parochial streak in Irish Arts in general, the tendency to do things that only the Irish will get, and so it's not surprising to me that most bomb horribly when they try to crack the UK or USA.

One gig had this female comedian who seemed to be trying to be Jo Brand - who's an acquired taste, but at least her humour has some substance to it - and failing badly. Tommy Tiernan, too - most of his stuff goes under my radar, because I'm not Irish. Jokes like these, trying to insult every county in Ireland, don't travel well.

I can take or leave Tommy, but that's one of the funniest of his pieces that I've seen. The tweet from the Mayowoman is gas. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Dylan Moran head and shoulders above any other Irish comedian, nor non-Irish for that matter. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

JKerova1 wrote: »
    Dylan Moran head and shoulders above any other Irish comedian, nor non-Irish for that matter. Genius.

Over rated to bits.

His alcoholic resentful stories of how the modern World is crap just aren't funny anymore. Hes probably doing the bit on everything being made out of Smeg still.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I think most of them are funny at the beginning, and then they just don't quit while they're ahead.
    But that happens in everything-including the Simpsons. The difference is that with the Irish (and I would even add quite a lot of British ones) they burn out a lot quicker. Mainly because they hammer the same joke, over, and over, and over again. In comedy, you're known for routines about family, or employment, or life in general. In Irish comedy, it's 'known for one joke'.

Didn't she go off to America?

https://twitter.com/maevehiggins/status/907688632068308993

Oh get over yourself, Maeve...cos of this tweet. ^ ^ :mad:

The sense of entitlement FFS. "They won't invite me on Newstalk cos I'm a woman" Give me a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

At least with the sketches, they vary, marginally, but they do vary.
    The Twomey fella mimicking a Cork psycho girlfriend and the ginger, bearded lad that shouts "Kaaaaatttthhhhhlllleeeeeennnn" just flog that horse far beyond it's worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

darkdubh wrote: »
    The sense of entitlement FFS. "They won't invite me on Newstalk cos I'm a woman" Give me a break.

Great response just gone in to that:
    Because your claim to fame is a cookery show and "comedy" act where you pretend to be a bit simple?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

mikep wrote: »
    David O'Doherty has to be one of the worst.
    Using an '80s kids keyboard to "sing" unfunny songs..No thanks

Also Maeve Higgins.....

I absolutely love David O'Doherty. I just look at him and I can feel the giggles coming on. The keyboard is a less prevalent part of his set now

• Advertisement

That Clairebear or whatever she's called, you know the one who can't function in life unless everything she does is uploaded to youtube for likes? Well now you can enjoy her 'Things only Irish Mammies say' and presumably watch her expert political views where she cries for likes on RTE soon. RTE sure know a lot about comedy.

Advertisement