Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

That Clairebear or whatever she's called, you know the one who can't function in life unless everything she does is uploaded to youtube for likes? Well now you can enjoy her 'Things only Irish Mammies say' and presumably watch her expert political views where she cries for likes on RTE soon. RTE sure know a lot about comedy.

Is this her?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,400 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I like the Conor Sketches guy. He is not hilarious but funny without being trying too hard approach.

A guy who sticks to basics and it works. Of course he more for the GAA Soccers heads but its still very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Al Porter. Goes on like a inner city owl one and has milked it to death. Made a good living in fairness to him.

Fat lad on first dates Ireland said he was a comedian. Apparently being morbidly obese at a worryingly young age means your "gas craic" altogether.

Think any comedians who get a break on RTE are pure cringe.

Working for that government propaganda station and political correctness gone mad means any wit or edge is diluted out of people before they reach our screens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

darkdubh wrote: »
    Is this her?

Yeah, that's it. There's a video of her doing stand up that would make your skin crawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Yeah, that's it. There's a video of her doing stand up that would make your skin crawl.

Whos the audience for these people?.

• Advertisement

I like the Conor Sketches guy. He is not hilarious but funny without being trying too hard approach.

A guy who sticks to basics and it works. Of course he more for the GAA Soccers heads but its still very good.

His basics are, he has no jokes at all. He can do impressions, badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sevenie

David McSavage, I cant stand this p***k, not in the slightest bit funny. Savage Eye was cancelled by RTE so he decided not to pay his TV license, he should have paid RTE for putting on that crap.

Also:
    Maeve Higgins
    Kevin McAleer, was funny for 10 minutes, then its the same thing over and over.
    Dylan Moran
    Katherine Lynch
    Tommy Tiernan, used to be funny, not any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

I find Jason Byrne painfully unfunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Fred Cooke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭cms88

That Clairebear or whatever she's called, you know the one who can't function in life unless everything she does is uploaded to youtube for likes? Well now you can enjoy her 'Things only Irish Mammies say' and presumably watch her expert political views where she cries for likes on RTE soon. RTE sure know a lot about comedy.

The first video she has was somewhat funny. But now like you say everything she does is a video

• Advertisement

Rubber bandits and their jumping on the pc bandwagon to stay relevant

Has Cian Twomey died down yet on Facebook (as finally the block function finally works on him) or has he finally learned a new joke (or still beating the girlfriend joke )

What happened the Rubberbandits was a shame. They started off being so very different and now they are more mainstream, right on and social media friendly than Panti Bliss complaining about homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I think one of them Rubberbandits had a bit of speech about some bollocks during an interview and it went down very well. Ever since its been nothing but right on speeches and patronising tweets. 

Their latest comedy video is about suicide ffs. That's how desperate they are for the "so honest and brave" youtube comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think one of them Rubberbandits had a bit of speech about some bollocks during an interview and it went down very well. Ever since its been nothing but right on speeches and patronising tweets. 

Their latest comedy video is about suicide ffs. That's how desperate they are for the "so honest and brave" youtube comments.
    There's something wrong with this post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What happened the Rubberbandits was a shame. They started off being so very different and now they are more mainstream, right on and social media friendly than Panti Bliss complaining about homelessness.

Dunno about that... We have serious issues that don't get enough exposure in this country and I think blindboys championing of men's health is commendable. As for the other poster here who said this "their latest comedy video is about suicide ffs"... Wtf does that mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

Dunno about that... We have serious issues that don't get enough exposure in this country and I think blindboys championing of men's health is commendable. As for the other poster here who said this "their latest comedy video is about suicide ffs"... Wtf does that mean?

It means that suicide is a serious subject. It's not something for two Quinnsworth bag wearing simpetons to make a comedy sketch out of.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

As for the other poster here who said this "their latest comedy video is about suicide ffs"... Wtf does that mean?

I think he means their latest song, which isn't a comedy video at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

el diablo wrote: »
    It means that suicide is a serious subject. It's not something for two Quinnsworth bag wearing simpetons to make a comedy sketch out of.

The national a whole shys away from talking about suicide, depression, mental health, and you call two educated lads who are brave enough to go champion bringing it more to the forefront of discussion 'simpletons'.
    Git ta fvck.
    It's that kind of thinking that has us stuck in the rut we're in.

People might take them more seriously if they remove the plastic bags. The vast majority of people will view them as village idiots till that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Dara O'Briain, thinks he's the only bloke in the world who was born in Ireland or has an Irish accent.

dd972 wrote: »
    Dara O'Briain, thinks he's the only bloke in the world who was born in Ireland or has an Irish accent.

Yeah, he's terrible. Same old tired routine year after year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Don't get the hatred towards the Rubberbandits at all. They have a profile in this country and speak and out for what they think is right, and where they think they may be able to help. If you disagree with what they're saying, ignore it and move on.

And as for the relevance to this thread, its not as if they're raising awareness about suicide as part of their comedy act ffs. By all means critique that though, if you find it unfunny, then fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Don't get the hatred towards the Rubberbandits at all. They have a profile in this country and speak and out for what they think is right, and where they think they may be able to help. If you disagree with what they're saying, ignore it and move on.

And as for the relevance to this thread, its not as if they're raising awareness about suicide as part of their comedy act ffs. By all means critique that though, if you find it unfunny, then fair enough
    If they had a history of conscientious social commentary then I might agree but they appear to be doing it for the plaudits. Capturing the right on zeitgeist to maintain their profile. They went from 100% comedy to 100% social issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

If they had a history of conscientious social commentary then I might agree but they appear to be doing it for the plaudits. Capturing the right on zeitgeist to maintain their profile. They went from 100% comedy to 100% social issues.

Agreed.

I remember reading one of their Facebook posts in recent months that told people who request Horse Outside at their gigs to fúck off and stay at home. The song which is responsible for a huge chunk of their fame.

Dunno about that... We have serious issues that don't get enough exposure in this country and I think blindboys championing of men's health is commendable.

They have kinda landed into the Bressie bracket alright.

Stewart Lee nailed comedians who take up "causes" with his Russell Howard cycling for poverty routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

i personally cannot stand

PJ gallagher,
    Jason Byrne
    karl Spain

terrible in my opinion, but then again all comedy is subjective, so to each their own :)

I used to like PJ Gallagher during his Naked Camera some of the stuff like Bill O'Herhily in the taxi was one of the funniest things in recent times on RTE. Other stuff on the show was pretty stupid like the pregnant woman on the Dart but it was generally funny. His stuff has been pretty crap mind you, I remember he tried something similar a few years ago I think it was filmed up in Belfast but it was utter tripe.

I agree with you about Jason Byrne, I'm not familar with Karl Spain so I won't comment there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

And how did you get this insight into their motivations? You could be right, but every time I've seen them, they just seem like genuine decent fellas. And if it helps people who are struggling, then what harm

I don't really get your point on them moving towards social issues. They have the profile to raise these things now that they wouldn't have had in the past. And again, none of this has anything to do with them being unfunny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Is that The Fear shíte still running. Your one Jennifer Maguire has to be up there she is not even one bit funny.

There have been a few funny things RTE have done but nothing up there with the likes of John Bishop or Peter Kay who are both very funny

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,327 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Went to see David O'Doherty earlier this year, who I like and think is very funny. However what I didn't know was that there was a support act before him - Alison Spittle. I'd never actually heard of her before that so I didn't know what to expect. It was an absolute case study in a performer dying on their arse on stage. She was shockingly bad and apart from the one guy in front of us who was so over the top in showing how hilarious he thought she was that he must have been related to her, their was barely a chuckle from the audience throughout the set. If she wasn't so bad that I couldn't wait to see her finish I might actually have been embarrassed for her. She's definitely someone who should should seriously consider a career change because her current one isn't going to make her a decent living.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

el diablo wrote: »
    People might take them more seriously if they remove the plastic bags. The vast majority of people will view them as village idiots till that happens.

The vast majority, really??? Do you speak on behalf of that majority?

• Advertisement

That's great if you think they are helping with their social justice, fantastic. Doesn't not make them unbearably preachy though, does it.

Advertisement