Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

el diablo wrote: »
    It means that suicide is a serious subject. It's not something for two Quinnsworth bag wearing simpetons to make a comedy sketch out of.

It may have gone over your head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

It may have gone over your head

I didn't watch it. Seriously doubt that any of their material would go "over my head". :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

I didn't watch it. Seriously doubt that any of their material would go "over my head". :rolleyes:

you commented on something you didn't watch?

If they had a history of conscientious social commentary then I might agree but they appear to be doing it for the plaudits. Capturing the right on zeitgeist to maintain their profile. They went from 100% comedy to 100% social issues.
    i saw them recently and they were hilarious

you commented on something you didn't watch?

Yes. I've seen some of their previous videos (the subject matters were "yokes" "madeira cakes" and "farming for arses"). I've no interest in hearing their vacuous opinions on suicide and mental health.

• Advertisement

Yes. I've seen some of their previous videos (the subject matters were "yokes" "madeira cakes" and "farming for arses"). I've no interest in hearing their vacuous opinions on suicide and mental health.

It's actually a decent video and not at all what you describe, which isn't that strange because you're talking about something you haven't actually seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Zaph wrote: »
    Went to see David O'Doherty earlier this year, who I like and think is very funny. However what I didn't know was that there was a support act before him - Alison Spittle. I'd never actually heard of her before that so I didn't know what to expect. It was an absolute case study in a performer dying on their arse on stage. She was shockingly bad and apart from the one guy in front of us who was so over the top in showing how hilarious he thought she was that he must have been related to her, their was barely a chuckle from the audience throughout the set. If she wasn't so bad that I couldn't wait to see her finish I might actually have been embarrassed for her. She's definitely someone who should should seriously consider a career change because her current one isn't going to make her a decent living.

He was probably one of those Repeal the 8th mob. She's got a bit of a following from the feminist movement and the like.

I've seen her on tv and to be honest I found her to be quite funny and witty. She has a quirky, ditsy charm about her and seems quite likable. I doubt she'll travel well though in terms of her material, and there's a difference between tv funny and stand-up funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Don't get the hatred towards the Rubberbandits at all. They have a profile in this country and speak and out for what they think is right, and where they think they may be able to help. If you disagree with what they're saying, ignore it and move on.

And as for the relevance to this thread, its not as if they're raising awareness about suicide as part of their comedy act ffs. By all means critique that though, if you find it unfunny, then fair enough

That's all well and good, but they don't give any of these causes any credibility, and if anything their contributions could be counter-productive and ultimately unhelpful.

It might be a bit of a low move on my part but they've openly admitted they never gave a **** about education until well after they left school. They give off a massive vibe of "I read about this for the first time about 5 minutes ago" and fall for the argument hook, line and sinker. There's a distinct lack of critical thinking in any of these soapbox rants they come out with. Chomsky's they are not.

They've focused on delivery rather than substance, and they've learned off the bog standard critiques of the likes of capitalism that 1st year Sociology students learn off in order to curry favour with their lecturer.

They are more than welcome to say what they want about more serious issues rather than comedy, but I suspect this won't play out well for them in the long-term. There are plenty of more well versed and capable people than them to do that job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

It means that suicide is a serious subject. It's not something for two Quinnsworth bag wearing simpetons to make a comedy sketch out of.

Simpletons? They are far from simple, try to look past their comedy act and you'll realise just how intelligent they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

'Farming for arses' would be right up your street.

• Advertisement

So you're basing your ridiculous opinion on something you haven't even watched? If their video saves just ONE life it will be a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The national a whole shys away from talking about suicide, depression, mental health, and you call two educated lads who are brave enough to go champion bringing it more to the forefront of discussion 'simpletons'.
    Git ta fvck.
    It's that kind of thinking that has us stuck in the rut we're in.

It's 'pandering' because David (real Blindboy's name) said this rubbish prior to making this video.

Now they're trying to row back on this...so did the feminism not work out? Of course it didn't. And claiming it will is a joke, as there's been a significant rise in depression and suicide among girls and women too. As well as a rise in older women developing depression and taking their own lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,924 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It's 'pandering' because David (real Blindboy's name) said this rubbish prior to making this video.

Now they're trying to row back on this...so did the feminism not work out? Of course it didn't. And claiming it will is a joke, as there's been a significant rise in depression and suicide among girls and women too. As well as a rise in older women developing depression and taking their own lives.

Jaysus - get over yourself.

Comedy and polemic is not meant to be literal.

You use every opportunity to voice the opinion of the day - or the anti-opinion of the day.

Fair play to him he was on the late late and went full at it.

The two boys are not trying to be funny all the time - they are ground breaking. There is nobody, or were not too many doing what they did when they did it.

They are not even judge in the comedian section to be honest.

Sevenie wrote: »
    David McSavage, I cant stand this p***k, not in the slightest bit funny. Savage Eye was cancelled by RTE so he decided not to pay his TV license, he should have paid RTE for putting on that crap.

Also:
    Maeve Higgins

PJ Gallaher and her used to be funny, back in the day. Her stand-up was pretty good too. Dark humour that made fun of a lot of stuff. But since 'Fancy Vittles' she's become a bitter fishwife.
    PJ Gallaher had one brief joke, that he wore out to death-Jake (animal attraction guy) he even released a 'christmas novelty song' that tanked, as well as doing the 'Jake Stevens in America' show that was just pitiful...absolutely pitiful.

McSavage can be funny-but he himself I want to slap...

Zaph wrote: »
    Went to see David O'Doherty earlier this year, who I like and think is very funny. However what I didn't know was that there was a support act before him - Alison Spittle. I'd never actually heard of her before that so I didn't know what to expect. It was an absolute case study in a performer dying on their arse on stage. She was shockingly bad and apart from the one guy in front of us who was so over the top in showing how hilarious he thought she was that he must have been related to her, their was barely a chuckle from the audience throughout the set. If she wasn't so bad that I couldn't wait to see her finish I might actually have been embarrassed for her. She's definitely someone who should should seriously consider a career change because her current one isn't going to make her a decent living.

Oh God, I know her-she's making a career change alright-she got a show with RTE. And I can tell straight away it's gonna be bad. :(

(she already started going on her twitter feed with the 'I don't exist to give you an erection' crud when people noticed there weren't any good looking people in it-the promo for the show. Her last 'attempt' was awful).

The two boys are not trying to be funny all the time - they are ground breaking. There is nobody, or were not too many doing what they did when they did it.

In what way are they groundbreaking? Because they wear Superquinn bags over their faces?

Jaysus - get over yourself.

Comedy and polemic is not meant to be literal.

You use every opportunity to voice the opinion of the day - or the anti-opinion of the day.

Fair play to him he was on the late late and went full at it.

Nah, I'm just over them. I'm not content with myself, but I'm learning.

You don't do comedy with serious topics like mental illness, and prescribing and 'ideology' as a cure is dangerous. He had a moment to do something good, but RTE and Irish media continually screw this up when talking about mental illness. They could do great things, they didn't.

They have a voice, people listen to them-we already have people posting on twitter that 'depression' isn't real. Saying 'feminism' will cure it is ridiculous.

They're not groundbreaking-they're treading old ground. And re-treading old ground. Plenty have done what they did-hiding behind a mask undermines that they don't stand behind their points.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

PJ Gallaher and her used to be funny, back in the day. Her stand-up was pretty good too. Dark humour that made fun of a lot of stuff. But since 'Fancy Vittles' she's become a bitter fishwife.
    PJ Gallaher had one brief joke, that he wore out to death-Jake (animal attraction guy) he even released a 'christmas novelty song' that tanked, as well as doing the 'Jake Stevens in America' show that was just pitiful...absolutely pitiful.

McSavage can be funny-but he himself I want to slap...

That Jake Stephens show in America, "Makin Jake" was utterly cringeworthy. The character worked in a way in Naked Camera but taking him out out of his natural environment just showed PJ Gallaghers limitations as a comedian.

They have a voice, people listen to them-we already have people posting on twitter that 'depression' isn't real. Saying 'feminism' will cure it is ridiculous.

It's different to the "okay to not be okay" bland stuff trotted out that every z list celeb loves to cling to as a mantra these days.

But still, I suspect really just another opinion and with no more authority than the average punter on a barstool.

All this "oh it's good to speak about an issue" overlooks the obvious "well, unless you have some expertise in the area...it's not really, is it? It's really kinda...useless".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They have kinda landed into the Bressie bracket alright.

Stewart Lee nailed comedians who take up "causes" with his Russell Howard cycling for poverty routine.

any link to that Conor or do you know what show it was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭smilerf

Comedy like tv movies books is subjective. I love Jason byrne neil Delamere brendan of Carroll Dylan Moran while I don't like Brendan Grace tommy tiernan or pat short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

Oh God, I know her-she's making a career change alright-she got a show with RTE. And I can tell straight away it's gonna be bad. :(

(she already started going on her twitter feed with the 'I don't exist to give you an erection' crud when people noticed there weren't any good looking people in it-the promo for the show. Her last 'attempt' was awful).

in fairness I think she had a point - being slagged off for not being good looking?

It's different to the "okay to not be okay" bland stuff trotted out that every z list celeb loves to cling to as a mantra these days.

But still, I suspect really just another opinion and with no more authority than the average punter on a barstool.

All this "oh it's good to speak about an issue" overlooks the obvious "well, unless you have some expertise in the area...it's not really, is it? It's really kinda...useless".

How can you not understand this? They have a voice people listen to, if they prevent just one single person from taking their own life then the new video is a resounding success.

In what way are they groundbreaking? Because they wear Superquinn bags over their faces?

That post is so stupid this is the only reply it should warrant.

Well yes it is just another opinion and like opinions one can agree or disagree. They're not asking for thír opinions to be enshrined into law. One group the bandits raised awareness that I didn't know about are the people who patrol bridges at well known suicide spots... These guys have actually saved people...that's just one I can think of now here on the jax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Show me the last funny thing they did?

Nah, I'm just over them. I'm not content with myself, but I'm learning.

You don't do comedy with serious topics like mental illness, and prescribing and 'ideology' as a cure is dangerous. He had a moment to do something good, but RTE and Irish media continually screw this up when talking about mental illness. They could do great things, they didn't.

They're not groundbreaking-they're treading old ground. And re-treading old ground. Plenty have done what they did-hiding behind a mask undermines that they don't stand behind their points.
    Are you serious? The best comedy comes from serious issues

Show me the last funny thing they did?

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Well, the thread is about Unfunny comedians not who you think should be cannonised as Saints. They were funny once, now they just preach and get pats on the back.

Vic and Bob did it better in the late 80's too. That's where they got their 'groundbreaking' comedy from.

• Advertisement

Well, the thread is about Unfunny comedians not who you think should be cannonised as Saints. They were funny once, now they just preach and get pats on the back.

Vic and Bob did it better in the late 80's too. That's where they got their 'groundbreaking' comedy from.

Vic and Bob were brilliant... But I don't see the similarity

Advertisement