Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Who's that beardy fella who does the screeching impersonations on social media? Not yer man Twomey , this guy is from Longford or somewhere round there. Films his "routines" sitting in his car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Who's that beardy fella who does the screeching impersonations on social media? Not yer man Twomey , this guy is from Longford or somewhere round there. Films his "routines" sitting in his car.

Farmer Michael - sir stevo timothy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Vic and Bob were brilliant... But I don't see the similarity

Have a look at big night out or the documentary here when they just started out:

Have a look at big night out or the documentary here when they just started out:

No... As I'm a fan

Yeah, painful stuff.

• Advertisement

No... As I'm a fan

Great. B2Q9oZ3CEAAmAFV.jpg

Great. B2Q9oZ3CEAAmAFV.jpg

That's great

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

baza Rakus wrote: »
    Neil Delamare is the archetypal unfunny Irish comedian.

Agree 100% with this. Something unlikeable, smug and formuliac about him.

Al Porter has a lot of potential as a media personality but his stand up is weak.

Foyle, arms and hogg are dreadful in my opinion, not even funny in interviews.

Dylan Morans early stuff is genius.
    Dara O Brien I really like.
    Pj Gallagher has good stand up and is good in interviews but the candid camera stuff is awful.
    David McSavage also is decent.

I saw John Colleary recently and my face hurt from laughing, genuinely brilliant. He's in Savage eye, if you get the chance to see him, go for it.

Im really sick of the "isnt ireland and irish people gas; taytos, gaa, mammies, flat 7 up, immersion, going to mass, etc etc etc" style comedy, its done to death and everything has been covered.

Maeve Higgins used to be very good on the radio.
    Des Bishop has great delivery and charisma.

I find JAson Byrne awful, truly awful, likewise Ed Byrne.

Kevin McAleer apparently was genius back in the 90's but Ive never really seen him.
    Ive seen Jimeoin on youtube and thought he was great. Hes just naturally funny talking about anything. Check up him eyebrow bit.

I saw Andrew Stanley go on stage with no material and just riff with the audience in a small venue and it was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Show me the last funny thing they did?

Did you enjoy their take on the 1916 rising? It was broadcast at stupid o'clock new years eve last year.

You know that it's ok for people to find them hilarious while you don't enjoy them. Personally, I have been in tears laughing at their live shows and in person they are very intelligent, articulate, funny men. You don't like them, that doesn't bother me but for some reason you and others like you constantly tell me how unfunny they are.

• Advertisement

Did you enjoy their take on the 1916 rising? It was broadcast at stupid o'clock new years eve last year.

You know that it's ok for people to find them hilarious while you don't enjoy them. Personally, I have been in tears laughing at their live shows and in person they are very intelligent, articulate, funny men. You don't like them, that doesn't bother me but for some reason you and others like you constantly tell me how unfunny they are.

I enjoyed it immensely.... I didn't watch their last tv show though, not sure if it's my cup of tea.

So nine months ago then. Saw some of it, wasn't that good.

for some reason you and others like you constantly tell me how unfunny they are.

Imagine that, in a thread about who people find unfunny.

Imagine that, in a thread about who people find unfunny.

Yes but you are the one getting very worked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Agree 100% with this. Something unlikeable, smug and formuliac about him.

Al Porter has a lot of potential as a media personality but his stand up is weak. - no

Foyle, arms and hogg are dreadful in my opinion, not even funny in interviews.

Dylan Morans early stuff is genius. -yes
    Dara O Brien I really like. - a bit of a one trick pony
    Pj Gallagher has good stand up and is good in interviews but the candid - nocamera stuff is awful.
    David McSavage also is decent. - yes

I saw John Colleary recently and my face hurt from laughing, genuinely brilliant. He's in Savage eye, if you get the chance to see him, go for it. - yes

Im really sick of the "isnt ireland and irish people gas; taytos, gaa, mammies, flat 7 up, immersion, going to mass, etc etc etc" style comedy, its done to death and everything has been covered. - that;s good

Maeve Higgins used to be very good on the radio.
    Des Bishop has great delivery and charisma.

I find JAson Byrne awful, truly awful, likewise Ed Byrne. - agree

Kevin McAleer apparently was genius back in the 90's but Ive never really seen him.
    Ive seen Jimeoin on youtube and thought he was great. Hes just naturally funny talking about anything. Check up him eyebrow bit.

I saw Andrew Stanley go on stage with no material and just riff with the audience in a small venue and it was very good.

yes and no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

I always wonder do people in Dublin think that us country folk find the likes of farmer Michael Rory's stories the two johnnies funny. I'm a culchie and believe me we all think that stuff is total crap.
    It's like a piss poor attempt at what pat shortt and Jon kenny created about rural Ireland

Add in Bernard o shea and Neil delamere booth half decent radio hosts but there talk about the Midlands is like the place itself flat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Rory's stories - utterly unfunny shoite

Have any of the "comedians" on Facebook ever been funny? Rorys stories, Cian twomey etc, all completely unfunny ****e aimed at.... I don't even know who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It was excellent. I'm with you on the Rubberbandits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Im really sick of the "isnt ireland and irish people gas; taytos, gaa, mammies, flat 7 up, immersion, going to mass, etc etc etc" style comedy, its done to death and everything has been covered.

Bridget & Eamon basically. RTE's low budget comedy they are plugging to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

leestone wrote: »
    I always wonder do people in Dublin think that us country folk find the likes of farmer Michael Rory's stories the two johnnies funny. I'm a culchie and believe me we all think that stuff is total crap.
    It's like a piss poor attempt at what pat shortt and Jon kenny created about rural Ireland

Add in Bernard o shea and Neil delamere booth half decent radio hosts but there talk about the Midlands is like the place itself flat

Always quite enjoyed D'unbeleivables sketches.

Yes but you are the one getting very worked up.

Not at all, but the defense of them has been "but look at what they are doing for the homeless etc."

People don't like them these days because they are too preachy, they aren't doing anything funny anymore.

ligerdub wrote: »
    Bridget & Eamon basically. RTE's low budget comedy they are plugging to death.

The Bridget & Eamon concept was good but just not enough to sustain it for a series.
    It worked well on Republic of Telly in short vignettes but its hard to stretch "werent Sodastreams gas!?" to 20 minutes.
    Its basically Irish 80's nostalgia, I think if they could make it more of a Dramedy as opposed to a sitcom it might have more legs.

Chris O'Dowds series Moone Boy was similar but had more to it, better writing, actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭pawdee

Twink

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭pawdee

I know Twink isn't a comedian but still. Also, when I was a teenager Gay Byrne would regularly have Maureen Potter on the Late Late. Oh sweet Jesus. Gaybo doubled over at her every word. Haw haw haw. I wanted to shoot myself in the mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

That post is so stupid this is the only reply it should warrant.

So maybe you can explain to us in what way you find the Bandits "groundbreaking"? (besides the plastic bags thing).

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

buck65 wrote: »
    yes and no

I find PJ Gallagher funny, just not in the candid camera thing.
    Maeve higgins had a short radio show about Stand ups and the connection to their love of music etc and he was hilarious on it.

I think Al Porter definitely has potential as the voice of working class youth and he certainly has something to offer mainstream media. Media is dominated by D4 types. Theres not enough well educated working class types on tv, hes eloquant and confident too. I dont think his future is comedy though.
    His stand up is weak.

Cian Twomey is the worst thing Ive ever seen, genuinely. He has no self awareness. His stuff is actually painful.

That red-haired farmer Michael guy was ok for a few videos.

I cant recommend John Colleary enough though. I saw him in the Stags Head for free.
    Genuinely brilliant. I had that out-of-control, face-hurting laughter which is so rare.
    He was introduced as "one of the best comedians in Ireland" and Id agree.

Foyle arms and hogg have got potential I guess. They work hard, have confidence and are good performers but I think they offer quantity over quality.
    They have decent concepts but maybe dont squeeze the humour out of them enough.
    Perhaps they could benefit from an introverted writer who doesnt have the balls to perform.

I honestly dont see the criticism of Dara O'Brien, good improvisor, intelligent, somewhat original etc...

Dave McSavage was on the Late Late not so long ago and I thought he was very good.

One thing Ive noticed that weaker comedians dont do is utilise themselves, their character as part of the act.
    For example comedians come on stage and just say a bunch of one liners and jokes but it has no connection to themselves as a character.

Dave McSavage is good at using his own persona i.e. insecure, asshole, pervy, obnoxious, vulnerable....in a way its charming.
    Dara O'Brien does this a bit also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I find that many modern Irish comics are hacks.

Very few innovators out there.

Of course it is a different environment they operate in these days. The concept of satire is lost on many people so certain comics feel that they have to work clean and safe, stifling their creativity in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    any link to that Conor or do you know what show it was?

Can never find a video clip, but it was apparently in Season 2 Episode 3.

Advertisement