Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Are you serious? The best comedy comes from serious issues

But they're not doing comedy-they're telling people what to do in relation to a serious illness-and it doesn't involve 'go to your doctor, talk to friends' etc it's read a bloody book on feminism. That completely ignores the chemical disorders of the brain that make up the complex disease.

Yes, humour can be derived from serious issues-South park has gotten some great milage out of it too. But this wasn't comedy that David Chambers was talking about-he was bleating to the sheep who don't have a clue about this illness. He got the twitterati saying 'wow, amazing' when what he really did was pour salt in the wound.
    optogirl wrote: »
    in fairness I think she had a point - being slagged off for not being good looking?

She latched on to this one negative comment, the others were genuine critique, which she ignored.

And then she tweeted this, in the last day or so....dear God...I'm not even certain these people understand the dilemma a person goes through when choosing a termination.

https://twitter.com/AlisonSpittle/status/911259429894533122

if they prevent just one single person from taking their own life then the new video is a resounding success.

And have they?

Any count on the number saved by the Rubberbandits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

And have they?

Any count on the number saved by the Rubberbandits?

I don't know, do you know?

What a sad, pathetic post and what kind of life must you lead to actually be giving out about 2 lads who are trying to get people to not kill themselves.

What a sad, pathetic post and what kind of life must you lead to actually be giving out about 2 lads who are trying to get people to not kill themselves.

Obviously that went over your head!

It was you who rated their video and career in terms of lives saved. I simply asked you to quantify the number.

Obviously that went over your head!

It was you who rated their video and career in terms of lives saved. I simply asked you to quantify the number.

I didn't rate anything. I said it's obviously being aimed at people who are having these thoughts, if it prevents one person following through on it then it's a success. Where's the issue here?

• Advertisement

I didn't rate anything. I said it's obviously being aimed at people who are having these thoughts, if it prevents one person following through on it then it's a success. Where's the issue here?

The issue is that something would even be judged on the basis of lives saved. It's the yardstick you introduced.

For starters, do you think someone wrestling with something as profound as suicidal ideation is likely to be saved by a video by people with no qualifications or expertise in dealing with suicide? How valid is this whole "well, if it saves a life" measurement anyway? If they were saved, say, by Cian Twomey, would you take back your criticism of him and say he was brilliant?

The issue is that something would even be judged on the basis of lives saved. It's the yardstick you introduced.

For starters, do you think someone wrestling with something as profound as suicidal ideation is likely to be saved by a video by people with no qualifications or expertise in dealing with suicide? How valid is this whole "well, if it saves a life" measurement anyway? If they were saved, say, by the jokes of Cian Twomey, they laughed so much they decided life was worth living, would you take back your criticism of him and say he was brilliant?

If Cian Twomey completely changed his shtick and decided to get serious for a while and release something like the Rubberbandits latest track then yes I would be saying the same thing.

You do realise it's not a comedy song yes?

I don't know where you're from but in Limerick there are dedicated volunteers, with zero qualifications who patrol the river every night who talk people down from jumping. Should they not be listened to as they don't have the required qualifications in your eyes? Starting out, they didn't have the expertise you require in a potential life saver.

I have no doubts that some young lads in Limerick would value the opinion of one of the Rubberbandits higher than they would a counsellor sitting in an office who they feel they can't connect with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

For starters, do you think someone wrestling with something as profound as suicidal ideation is likely to be saved by a video by people with no qualifications or expertise in dealing with suicide? How valid is this whole "well, if it saves a life" measurement anyway? If they were saved, say, by Cian Twomey, would you take back your criticism of him and say he was brilliant?

Conor you're spouting an awful amount of ****e this week.

I have no doubts that some young lads in Limerick would value the opinion of one of the Rubberbandits higher than they would a counsellor sitting in an office who they feel they can't connect with.

At least you've identified a problem.

That they, with no qualifications or expertise, would be deemed more relevant by some for addressing suicidal ideation. I think the idea of comedians trumping professionals (though I would really suggest Psychiatrists or Psychologists) is wrong. That if itself cannot be a healthy development.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

I'm very much a believer in each to their own, were all different and all have our own tastes. And in truth most comedians will get a chuckle out of me at least once whether I like them or not. But........ How in God's name foil arms and Hogg have a career is beyond me. I just don't get it. They did a bit on the strawberry alarm clock a few months back and it was nothing short of farcical. Setting up an online dating profile or some such rubbish. It just wasn't funny. Iv seen them live too about 4 years ago at electric picnic and while the entire tent was I stitches I couldn't muster up so much as a giggle.

• Advertisement

We had this same 'response' from people who were calling those criticizing the Donal Walsh campaign-'he's only a young fella trying to stop people killing themselves'... who went silent when months later a prominent hurler took his own life.

These things don't work-not cutting the mental health services by 33 percent would have been far more helpful-but our current 'taoiseach' did that. We had the 'headbombz' campaign which made kids more stressed than anything.

Even if you listen to the song 'Sonny'-'he's got a problem, it's not a disease'...um, no, no they clearly weren't understanding the condition.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

pawdee wrote: »
    I know Twink isn't a comedian but still. Also, when I was a teenager Gay Byrne would regularly have Maureen Potter on the Late Late. Oh sweet Jesus. Gaybo doubled over at her every word. Haw haw haw. I wanted to shoot myself in the mouth.

I used to find Maureen Potter about as funny as piles. Then she was of a certain generation of cabaret type performer. I loved Gaybo era LLS but dreaded whenever they'd have those special editions dedicated to old school comics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

dbagman wrote: »
    I'm very much a believer in each to their own, were all different and all have our own tastes. And in truth most comedians will get a chuckle out of me at least once whether I like them or not. But........ How in God's name foil arms and Hogg have a career is beyond me. I just don't get it. They did a bit on the strawberry alarm clock a few months back and it was nothing short of farcical. Setting up an online dating profile or some such rubbish. It just wasn't funny. Iv seen them live too about 4 years ago at electric picnic and while the entire tent was I stitches I couldn't muster up so much as a giggle.

I agree. They seem like nice, confident, hardworking lads who are good performers but not actually funny.

I think the best comedians are a little ****ed up, insecure, daddy issues, addiction, depressed.

Foil arms and Hogg are too well raised and well adjusted.
    They've put up 100's of videos but offer no insight into their beliefs or individual personalities

I agree. They seem like nice, confident, hardworking lads who are good performers but not actually funny.

I think the best comedians are a little ****ed up, insecure, daddy issues, addiction, depressed.

Foil arms and Hogg are too well raised and well adjusted.
    They've put up 100's of videos but offer no insight into their beliefs or individual personalities

Agreed. They're the Mumford And Sons or Ed Sheerans of comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

I don't know where you're from but in Limerick there are dedicated volunteers, with zero qualifications who patrol the river every night who talk people down from jumping. Should they not be listened to as they don't have the required qualifications in your eyes? Starting out, they didn't have the expertise you require in a potential life saver.

Please tell me they remove the Superquinn bags from their faces while patrolling the river?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

pawdee wrote: »
    I know Twink isn't a comedian but still. Also, when I was a teenager Gay Byrne would regularly have Maureen Potter on the Late Late. Oh sweet Jesus. Gaybo doubled over at her every word. Haw haw haw. I wanted to shoot myself in the mouth.

Jesus Maureen Potter, there must have been laughter rationing

Looking back, a pompous cabaret act like Niall Toibin was considered the epitome of wit back then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Maureen Potter and Niall Toibin made for very good entertainment on the likes of the LLS because 1. they had a proper presenter to engage them and 2. they were (and happily are in the case of Toibin) excellent raconteurs who led dramatic and interesting lives, unlike 99.9% of the z list celebrities they wheel out nowadays. Nobody's claiming they were the funniest comedians on the face of the planet, but to be slagging them in this day and age, some people must be setting the bar particularly high indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

el diablo wrote: »
    Please tell me they remove the Superquinn bags from their faces while patrolling the river?

You should be a comedian yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

optogirl wrote: »
    in fairness I think she had a point - being slagged off for not being good looking?

For me personally I don't give a sh*t what she looks like. I dislike her because she's about as funny as cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

That guy from mrs browns boys must be the worst I've ever seen. I don't know what his own stand up routine is like but mrs browns boys makes me want to rip out my own toenails. It's an abomination.

• Advertisement

Testament1 wrote: »
    For me personally I don't give a sh*t what she looks like. I dislike her because she's about as funny as cancer.

I've seen some really good jokes made about cancer-and yes, they're dark, but funny. (Kids in the Hall's cancer boy, Family guy (when it was good) did a joke about a terminal cancer ward that was dark and funny).

Spittle on the other hand-makes you wish for the cold hand of death to embrace you...though she's entertaining enough in interviews.
    Don't know why RTE are giving her another show, she did a pilot that sank like a stone.

Brendan Grace. Fúck me, would that amadán ever retire? I had the misfortune of having to listen to his raiméis for ages in the 1980s - the car driver in the family had his tape on all the time - bubbles the cat who "just ran out of petrol", bottler; the two guys who rob the double decker with the punchline when they were asked why didn't they rob a single decker being "Murphy wanted a smoke!", not forgetting the awful Grace songs in between. Oh, and anybody remember that Maxol "Free a Nipper!" campaign that had Grace on tv and radio nearly every day at one point in the 1980s? (around the time David O'Leary was signing the Texaco soccer balls!)

Heard Grace on radio a few years back and it was seriously cringe Pee Flynnesque stuff when he went on about his house in Florida and all his possessions that he felt were important to show his "success". Depressing that these are the things that are worth mentioning for a man in his 60s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Jason Byrne. Hes just not funny. More annoying than anything else. Like that guy that has to be the loudest in the group that no one wants to end up being stuck talking to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,744 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Brendan Grace. Fúck me, would that amadán ever retire? I had the misfortune of having to listen to his raiméis for ages in the 1980s - the car driver in the family had his tape on all the time - bubbles the cat who "just ran out of petrol", bottler; the two guys who rob the double decker with the punchline when they were asked why didn't they rob a single decker being "Murphy wanted a smoke!", not forgetting the awful Grace songs in between. Oh, and anybody remember that Maxol "Free a Nipper!" campaign that had Grace on tv and radio nearly every day at one point in the 1980s? (around the time David O'Leary was signing the Texaco soccer balls!)

Heard Grace on radio a few years back and it was seriously cringe Pee Flynnesque stuff when he went on about his house in Florida and all his possessions that he felt were important to show his "success". Depressing that these are the things that are worth mentioning for a man in his 60s.

He usually comes back to Ireland around November to flog tickets for his shows on the late late as Christmas presents. Then he does his tour around Ireland from around January to march then back over to Florida with him. What a life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,212 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

He usually comes back to Ireland around November to flog tickets for his shows on the late late as Christmas presents. Then he does his tour around Ireland from around January to march then back over to Florida with him. What a life
    If there was ever a good example of a has been, he's the poster boy.
    Same utter sh*te for decades.
    I'd actually sit through 24 hours of mass on a loop than go to his show.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I've seen some really good jokes made about cancer-and yes, they're dark, but funny. (Kids in the Hall's cancer boy, Family guy (when it was good) did a joke about a terminal cancer ward that was dark and funny).

Spittle on the other hand-makes you wish for the cold hand of death to embrace you...though she's entertaining enough in interviews.
    Don't know why RTE are giving her another show, she did a pilot that sank like a stone.

RTE don't care what the public wants or thinks. If they've made their mind up about someone or something or if you have connections then they will force this person on you.
    Why does Nicky Byrne get €200,000 for a radio show on a loss making station? Was there a clamour for his eh, presenting talents?
    RTE will promote who they like and don't really care what you or I think or talent and the lack of it.
    Lottie Ryan is a symbol of their arrogance. They don't give a fúck about how that would be perceived.

RTE don't care what the public wants or thinks. If they've made their mind up about someone or something or if you have connections then they will force this person on you.
    Why does Nicky Byrne get €200,000 for a radio show on a loss making station? Was there a clamour for his eh, presenting talents?
    RTE will promote who they like and don't really care what you or I think or talent and the lack of it.
    Lottie Ryan is a symbol of their arrogance. They don't give a fúck about how that would be perceived.

Yep, three series of Bridget And Eamon is proof of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Autochange wrote: »
    Jason Byrne. Hes just not funny. More annoying than anything else. Like that guy that has to be the loudest in the group that no one wants to end up being stuck talking to.

I went to see him live ten years ago and regretted it big time. His whole act consists of asking people in the audience questions like where are they from etc and making unfunny sneering comments / mocking their accents.

Nightmare fuel...God...

Having never heard Lottie's show, how bad is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

"Spell crayon" "What colour sir?" Uproarious laughter indeed.

He was good as Fr Fintan Stack I'll give him that.

Advertisement