Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

All vulgar lewd crap. They assume everyones dumb that no one gets subtle humour or wit so they dump this crap on us.

I daresay it's the very same cheap rubbish that landed the RubberBandits their RTE gig.

Now that they're relatively well known they've become some sort of mental health warriors* who seem to become very irate when people question them about it.

I find it strange.

*well, one of them in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Aishling Bea was doing the rounds yesterday on Twitter etc, such a painfully unfunny woman, like a modern day Deirdre O Kane.

She wasn’t ‘doing the rounds’. She has recently written an extremely thoughtful, sensitive and intelligent article on her fathers suicide and it’s repercussions on her own development and mental health.

The thread is full of sneering cynical assholes.

Ah now, the people in this thread are not all THAT bad. We just think they're unfunny tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Shows the contempt RTE have for the general public that this drivel is seen as "cutting edge" and funny. They see the public as imbeciles to launch this muck and think people will find it funny.

You might want to give comedy a miss for a while, dude. You come across as a man who is about to explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

She wasn’t ‘doing the rounds’. She has recently written an extremely thoughtful, sensitive and intelligent article on her fathers suicide and it’s repercussions on her own development and mental health.

Go to the opening of a packet of crisps that Bea one. Useless as a chocolate teapot.

Didnt think of all comedians as sneering cynical assholes but oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Bleh. She had a word for Kevin Spacey too. Not a funny word, which you'd think she would have, being a comedian. Just had to get her 2c in, which seems to me to be her main concern.....being relevant, being on panel shows, being a massive lovie who gets lots of attention on social media. She's a former drama school student too, which isn't surprising.

She's not the worst female comedian, but she's not particularly funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I didn't hear of Alison Spittle until this thread but I wonder if there's even one person out there who enjoys her show? It beggers belief what RTE produce sometimes, I mean surely there are at least some normal educated people in there ffs.

A piece written by, and starring Alison Spittle was shown on Sky Arts last year, as part of a series of Irish comedy shorts. I thought it was really good. Her new show seems to have some of the same cast, so I'm hoping the RTE effect won't have wrecked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I’m surprised how cian didn’t get more criticism fir his treatment of his ex,the ‘original’ Emily after using his fb to criticize her and from knowing a few who know him his bullying campaign he got involved in was hypocritical from that and he was bit of one when he was in school

I saw quite a few people I knew from school doing the 'it's ok to talk' hashtag during these men depression weeks things. Only thing was, when they were in my school, they were bullying Pieces of excrement. Cian is one of those twerps-probably fancy's getting an RTE career. Sadly, I can see it happening. :mad:

I know a few people who enjoy his stuff-but even he knows his best days are behind him.
    Spot on. It's laziness and filler to hide the lack of writing talent.

Always-always. It's comics catering for people who are so drunk a dead body will make em laugh. But for anyone else-it's a corpse.
    fryup wrote: »
    Patrick Kielty............his dark humour on the troubles was edgy but that wore thin quickly....and everything else he does is too forced i.e. he's trying to be funny

There was another guy-Owen O'Neill who used to do similar stuff. Parlayed it into bit parts in film for a while-now he's seen in a few adverts every now and then. It wore thin after a while.
    I didn't hear of Alison Spittle until this thread but I wonder if there's even one person out there who enjoys her show? It beggers belief what RTE produce sometimes, I mean surely there are at least some normal educated people in there ffs.

Depends what you call 'educated'. We know a good chunk of RTE are in jobs that require no training. Literally walked in there. The sad thing is, the greatest comedians come from the school of hard knocks, and they were the greatest writers too. Much of the Simpsons writers and talent scouts learned to do comedy on the job.
    Spittle seems to be getting attention similar to how Amy Schumer gets gigs-not by earning it, but because 'diversity'.
    Agricola wrote: »
    Bleh. She had a word for Kevin Spacey too. Not a funny word, which you'd think she would have, being a comedian. Just had to get her 2c in, which seems to me to be her main concern.....being relevant, being on panel shows, being a massive lovie who gets lots of attention on social media. She's a former drama school student too, which isn't surprising.

She whines, and whines, and whines...plays the victim, even down to her wardrobe. And then for Halloween she went as one of the 'handmaid's'. She's doing what she loves, she's on every flipping channel-and she's whining.
    Come back to Ireland, talk to someone unemployed, and see how much pity you get there Aisling O'Sullivan (Bea isn't her real name)...

Spittle seems to be getting attention similar to how Amy Schumer gets gigs-not by earning it, but because 'diversity'.

I much rather this reasoning for Spittle getting screen time... :D :P
    Im convinced Alison Spittle has paedo dirt on top brass in RTE, only explanation as to why she has got her own show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Yeah-I vaguely remember it. Seemed like they were trying to do a Monty Python sketch, but where MP would stretch it out for a minute or four, they stretched it for 30. All I remember was something about a dead body in the office? Might be wrong about that tho.

This is a crazy country.

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/86539?userlanguage=ga&save_prefs=true

• Advertisement

dresden8 wrote: »

No similar to how a body was left hanging from a tree for close to a fortnight because people thought it was a decoration. Happened in America a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Probably has to be Ed Bryne for me dont find him funny at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Agricola wrote: »

Saw her on Brendan O'Connor show a while back and thought she was good.
    Haven't seen much of her since.

She's doing very well in a very competitive field so I say fair play to her.

Saw her on Brendan O'Connor show a while back and thought she was good.
    Haven't seen much of her since.

She's doing very well in a very competitive field so I say fair play to her.

But which field? She's not really tearing up comedy. But she's also doing drama. And there's quite a few talented comediennes in the former, and shedload of talented ladies in the latter.

So her whinging seems to come from jealousy rather than any actual problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So why copy it?. Be original like Dom Joly or Chris Morris.
    I'm not entirely sure you would get away with releasing Brass Eye today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

fat boy Karl mentioned?i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

The sad thing is, the greatest comedians come from the school of hard knocks, and they were the greatest writers too. Much of the Simpsons writers ..

Most simpsons writers went to harvard

YFlyer wrote: »
    fat boy Karl mentioned?i

A good few times. A budget version of Peter Kay, who is also fairly meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

In no order of unfunniness:

Bernard o Shea (completely devoid of any talent. Should be stacking shelves)
    Pj Gallagher (on radio every morning and not funny. Sounds like a lad down the local trying to be funny)
    Andrew maxwell
    Neil delamere
    Al porter
    Ed Byrne
    Jason Byrne

• Advertisement

Fred Cooke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I saw quite a few people I knew from school doing the 'it's ok to talk' hashtag during these men depression weeks things. Only thing was, when they were in my school, they were bullying Pieces of excrement. Cian is one of those twerps-probably fancy's getting an RTE career. Sadly, I can see it happening. :mad:

I know a few people who enjoy his stuff-but even he knows his best days are behind him.

Always-always. It's comics catering for people who are so drunk a dead body will make em laugh. But for anyone else-it's a corpse.

There was another guy-Owen O'Neill who used to do similar stuff. Parlayed it into bit parts in film for a while-now he's seen in a few adverts every now and then. It wore thin after a while.

Depends what you call 'educated'. We know a good chunk of RTE are in jobs that require no training. Literally walked in there. The sad thing is, the greatest comedians come from the school of hard knocks, and they were the greatest writers too. Much of the Simpsons writers and talent scouts learned to do comedy on the job.

She whines, and whines, and whines...plays the victim, even down to her wardrobe. And then for Halloween she went as one of the 'handmaid's'. She's doing what she loves, she's on every flipping channel-and she's whining.
    Come back to Ireland, talk to someone unemployed, and see how much pity you get there Aisling O'Sullivan (Bea isn't her real name)...

I've no doubt Spittle is getting airtime and possibly the tv show because it satisfies the diversity piechart. Much in the same way that Stephanie Preisser seems to be on every tv show going on the basis of writing one series of a show that wasn't dramatic enough to be a drama and not funny enough to be a comedy. The exposure levels versus the quality of their outputs is extremely imbalanced.

She's obviously never going to be a world famous comedian. Not only is her humour quote derivative and predictable, it also tends to be quite localised.

Having said that if she took the chance on writing the show then she was prepared to buy the ticket at least. If she was asked to do it by RTE or was commissioned specifically for her then that's a different story.

Her appeal seems to be her charm and relative underdog characteristics. She seems a reasonably pleasant and quirky sort, so that does translate well to getting people on her side, which is probably half the battle.

Either way I'd say at least give it the chance of seeing the show before slating it. I'm not holding out much hope for her but you never know.

(Yeah I'm not mad on Bea, much like most other comediennes she seems to have this assumption that she's supposed to share her political opinions....and specific opinions are almost expected of her. Just make people laugh....cheers.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Al Porter could not be any worse. He's pathetic. I saw a 10 second piece of Blind Date where some clown give a very unfunny and lame answer to a similar question, Al Porter started dancing.

That's comedy in Ireland now.

I'm not entirely sure you would get away with releasing Brass Eye today.

Most definitely not-it walked the line even when it aired, and some of the episodes (such as the paedophile episode, or 'the Good AIDS/ Bad AIDS' episode) caused massive controversy at the time. Undeserved, I would say(They are absolutely hilarious). Leading to Chris Morris issuing an apology in relation to the paedophile episode.

It's a cliche to use, but 'a post 9/11 world' as a phrase seems to fit as to why Brass Eye wouldn't work nowadays. Things changed, and shows like Brass Eye don't get a look in nowadays. It's a pity, and a shame, as some of the comedy being made now...one of the few things I look forward to is Charlie Brooker's end of year wipe. It skewers the news, in a similar fashion to Brass Eye.
    Austria! wrote: »
    Most simpsons writers went to harvard

Sam Simon, one of the head writers on that show, as well as Taxi, to name a few shows, did not-he graduated High School, that's it. And he absolutely hated the later crew who came on to the show. They followed the template of 'Event A, starts Event B, starts Event C'-whereas Sam Simon was 'C, B, A' or 'B,A,C' to name a few different ways. Others, such as James L Brooks or John Schwartzwelder, were mostly high school graduates, with Brooks doing a course that he dropped out of. Ditto Mike Scully.
    These guys are some of the most revered crew on the show. The 'educated' and 'we have to write this way' folks were the ones who gradually brought the Simpsons into disastrous subsequent seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

jam83 wrote: »
    In no order of unfunniness:

Bernard o Shea (completely devoid of any talent. Should be stacking shelves)
    Pj Gallagher (on radio every morning and not funny. Sounds like a lad down the local trying to be funny)
    Andrew maxwell
    Neil delamere
    Al porter
    Ed Byrne
    Jason Byrne

I saw PJ Gallagher live once and thought he was great.
    Some of the earlier Bridget and Eamon sketches were good but it doesn't translate well to sitcom format.
    I agree on the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Most of them..
    They just sound funny abroad!?

Because of their shít accents.....
    Jaysizzzz even my ex fiancé thought I was funny when I lived in London lmao

And I'm a boring fúck..

ligerdub wrote: »
    I've no doubt Spittle is getting airtime and possibly the tv show because it satisfies the diversity piechart. Much in the same way that Stephanie Preisser seems to be on every tv show going on the basis of writing one series of a show that wasn't dramatic enough to be a drama and not funny enough to be a comedy. The exposure levels versus the quality of their outputs is extremely imbalanced.

She's obviously never going to be a world famous comedian. Not only is her humour quote derivative and predictable, it also tends to be quite localised.

Having said that if she took the chance on writing the show then she was prepared to buy the ticket at least. If she was asked to do it by RTE or was commissioned specifically for her then that's a different story.

Her appeal seems to be her charm and relative underdog characteristics. She seems a reasonably pleasant and quirky sort, so that does translate well to getting people on her side, which is probably half the battle.

Either way I'd say at least give it the chance of seeing the show before slating it. I'm not holding out much hope for her but you never know.

(Yeah I'm not mad on Bea, much like most other comediennes she seems to have this assumption that she's supposed to share her political opinions....and specific opinions are almost expected of her. Just make people laugh....cheers.)

While I agree with most of your post however
    You basically say its going to be shyte and explain why then tell folk to give it a chance!.

Also could you elaborate on "underdog characteristics". Was she born with some life threatening illness or something?.

While I agree with most of your post however
    You basically say its going to be shyte and explain why then tell folk to give it a chance!.

Also could you elaborate on "underdog characteristics". Was she born with some life threatening illness or something?.

I think the underdog status comes from 'being a big girl'. Which isn't a life threatening illness-well, I mean, being overweight is potentially life-threatening. But its not something you're born with (mostly).

What she has been very outspoken about was mental health problems-she had a breakdown a few years ago. Took time off of work, reevaluated her life.

She sorta plays up this 'underdog' thing-but because she's from the 'country'. Which I find ridiculous. As if, girlfriend. *waves finger*

I think the underdog status comes from 'being a big girl'. Which isn't a life threatening illness-well, I mean, being overweight is potentially life-threatening. But its not something you're born with (mostly).

What she has been very outspoken about was mental health problems-she had a breakdown a few years ago. Took time off of work, reevaluated her life.

She sorta plays up this 'underdog' thing-but because she's from the 'country'. Which I find ridiculous. As if, girlfriend. *waves finger*

So shes an underdog because shes very overweight?.
    How is your obesity making you an "underdog" a good thing?.
    Are all overweight people "underdogs".
    If thats what he meant at all. If he did.Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So shes an underdog because shes very overweight?.
    How is your obesity making you an "underdog" a good thing?.
    Are all overweight people "underdogs".
    If thats what he meant at all. If he did.Bizarre.
    She ticks a couple of diversity boxes so she gets airtime. Quotas have side effects.

Advertisement