Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

She ticks a couple of diversity boxes so she gets airtime. Quotas have side effects.

Quota must be very low. Shes very fat (obese) and a woman. That gets you a show these days?.
    Hardly diverse that!.

Could understand a muslim transgender lesbian ginger disabled blind woman
    getting one based on diversity quotas but not her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Could understand a muslim transgender lesbian ginger disabled blind lesbian getting one based on diversity quotas but not her.

I'm sure the BBC are working on one as we speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Quota must be very low. Shes very fat (obese) and a woman. That gets you a show these days?.
    Hardly diverse that!.

Could understand a muslim transgender lesbian ginger disabled blind lesbian getting one based on diversity quotas but not her.

Double-lesbian ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Whenever I see, hear, or think about Neil Delamere, rather than consider laughing, I wish I could smash his face in.

I once saw him on the late late show acting aggressively towards a dressmaker in a bid to get a laugh. Even the dressmaker got the better of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

While I agree with most of your post however
    You basically say its going to be shyte and explain why then tell folk to give it a chance!.

Also could you elaborate on "underdog characteristics". Was she born with some life threatening illness or something?.

I hear ya. My post deals with the probability of it being poor and predictable, but we're still dealing with an unknown until it's shown to the masses. With any comedy it's the standard of the jokes that dictate most of it for me, and we'll just have to see.

Well she doesn't look like somebody with star quality. It's not just the fact that she's overweight, she also has a fairly unusual dress sense and the speech impediment of sorts and old lady glasses. She's obviously the creator of all this herself, bar the speech impediment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

Hardly diverse that!.

Don't forget Gender fluid asexual :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Jaysus - get over yourself.

Comedy and polemic is not meant to be literal.

You use every opportunity to voice the opinion of the day - or the anti-opinion of the day.

Fair play to him he was on the late late and went full at it.

The two boys are not trying to be funny all the time - they are ground breaking. There is nobody, or were not too many doing what they did when they did it.

They are not even judge in the comedian section to be honest.

That is literally 100x funnier than anything those idiots have ever put out. Hilarious. :D:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I try and avoid seeing any of these people but that Andrew Maxwell fella has to be applauded for somehow still managing to get work without having any talent whatsoever, unless you call somehow hoodwinking various broadcasters throughout his career to get air time a talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Jason Byrne - a big shouty eejit
    Karl Spain - just not funny at all

Karl Spain is a funny chap I have to say... I like him

ligerdub wrote: »
    I hear ya. My post deals with the probability of it being poor and predictable, but we're still dealing with an unknown until it's shown to the masses. With any comedy it's the standard of the jokes that dictate most of it for me, and we'll just have to see.

Well she doesn't look like somebody with star quality. It's not just the fact that she's overweight, she also has a fairly unusual dress sense and the speech impediment of sorts and old lady glasses. She's obviously the creator of all this herself, bar the speech impediment.

As regards Looking like someone without star quality alot of real celebs dont either. Steve Buscemi looks like a guy birthed by the Thing but hes a great actor. Talent , its something he has.

Surely people can see past these gimmicks that hide the fact these people these alleged comedians are talentless?.
    All the jam jar glasses in the World wont make you be funny.

Al Porter has his going on like an inner city ould one sthick still going strong. Ugh

Surely people can see past the hammed up gimmicks and oddities to see these folk are less funny the the average Joe on boards.ie. They are in fact destroyers of humour if you will. Anti comedians

• Advertisement

https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2007/01/hitchens200701

Great article from Hitchens from back in the day on why women are not as funny as men.

Also dont agree with RTE giving shows to fill quotas to women based on them being women.
    Spittle and co are as funny as a cancerous tumour.

I think RTE managememt big boys sit in their Foxrock mansions coked to the ears and laugh out loud knowing people pay TV licenses for this mindless muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2007/01/hitchens200701

Great article from Hitchens from back in the day on why women are not as funny as men.

Also dont agree with RTE giving shows to fill quotas to women based on them being women.
    Spittle and co are as funny as a cancerous tumour.

I think RTE managememt big boys sit in their Foxrock mansions coked to the ears and laugh out loud knowing people pay TV licenses for this mindless muck.

Spittles new show looks like the typical RTE shtick, that aren't cultichies/boggers "funny" and thinking its "representative" of Ireland and I can see its a quota filling exercise, and all the indo/Lon types who love the Cant Cope wont Cope wan or Huberman will say its the "funniest thing ever" and your a sexist or whatever if you don't like it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Spittles new show looks like the typical RTE shtick, that aren't cultichies/boggers "funny" and thinking its "representative" of Ireland

That just reminded me of your one Katherine Lynch :o
    Totally forgot she existed until now.

Spittles new show looks like the typical RTE shtick, that aren't cultichies/boggers "funny" and thinking its "representative" of Ireland and I can see its a quota filling exercise, and all the indo/Lon types who love the Cant Cope wont Cope wan or Huberman will say its the "funniest thing ever" and your a sexist or whatever if you don't like it

Pretty much. Anyone from outside a Dublin Cork Galway or Limerick cities spend their time making hang sandwiches all day whilst listening to the wirless GAAAA results as they get ready to hit the local for a few scoops with the lads l. Sur thisntit mad craic.

Expect absurd stereotypes and portraying rural Irish people as primitive savages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Think we're getting off the point, i.e. unfunny comedians. Your wan Spittle and the like arent comedians, they just do an ironic chip on shoulder schtick, and all RTE are interested in is so called millenials cos a focus group told them.

Oh, and Kevin McAleer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Think we're getting off the point, i.e. unfunny comedians. Your wan Spittle and the like arent comedians, they just do an ironic chip on shoulder schtick, and all RTE are interested in is so called millenials cos a focus group told them.

Oh, and Kevin McAleer.

Kevin McAleer was very funny back in the day, no comparision with him and Spittle who I agree is not a comedian just someone who got very lucky despite having zero talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Expect absurd stereotypes and portraying rural Irish people as primitive savages.

Speaking of unfunny, Pat Shortt

Larbre34 wrote: »

Oh, and Kevin McAleer.

Call themselves comedians RTE states show by blah blah blah comedian do stand up comedy etc.

Comedians despite how terrible they are.

I found Kevin Mcaleer funny. No comparison between him and Spittle as someone mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I think comedy has gone down the boyband route. Cleancut, polished unfunny Irish comedians factory produced in classic boyband fashion is what we seem to be getting. Then there is Mrs Brown to satisfy all the if it's crude it's funny brigade. Nothing then for anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think comedy has gone down the boyband route. Cleancut, polished unfunny Irish comedians factory produced in classic boyband fashion is what we seem to be getting. Then there is Mrs Brown to satisfy all the if it's crude it's funny brigade. Nothing then for anyone else.

Mainstream comedy has... Still lots of good stuff out there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Don't think Gearóid Farrelly has been mentioned, he often supports Neil Delamere. Saw him twice and got the impression he's like a toned down Al Porter, relies a lot on the well worn "Ah Jaysis mammy!" lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Noveight wrote: »
    Don't think Gearóid Farrelly has been mentioned, he often supports Neil Delamere. Saw him twice and got the impression he's like a toned down Al Porter, relies a lot on the well worn "Ah Jaysis mammy!" lines.

Yeah, he's pretty bland. 'Gay and from Cork'...that's his schtick.

Noveight wrote: »
    I daresay it's the very same cheap rubbish that landed the RubberBandits their RTE gig.

Now that they're relatively well known they've become some sort of mental health warriors* who seem to become very irate when people question them about it.

I find it strange.

*well, one of them in particular.

Very good point.

They knew the guff they were doing would not last so now blindboy is a pop psychologist now. He knows throwing in big words makes him sound smart and intellectual so hes at the thesaurus everynight probably. Mental health hot topic so hes on that bandwagon.

I have been very depressed and met many who have been there.
    Never met anyone who said no I'll keep fighting that skinny Limerick lad with a Swords shopping centre plastic bag on his head who sounds like hes been inhaling helium for days told me to fight on. Its all pop psychology guff.

From experience I know what beats depression but you never ever hear it on tv.

If he was truly serious he would take the plastic bag off its a joke having a chancer with a spar bag on his head being a leading mental health advocate in Ireland.
    I think his insight is so flawed it beggars belief
    Ie men need feminism to get over depression. Profoundly stupid.

Of course when hes saying this wordy guff to Ryan Tubridy whos looking at him gooey eyed like a teenage girl looking at One Direction he knows Tubs is a simpleton and hasnt got the gumption or balls or intellect to question his stupid logic so he sprouts on.
    Sad to see.
    Stick to the comedy blindboy will ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Very good point.

They knew the guff they were doing would not last so now blindboy is a pop psychologist now. He knows throwing in big words makes him sound smart and intellectual so hes at the thesaurus everynight probably. Mental health hot topic so hes on that bandwagon.

I have been very depressed and met many who have been there.
    Never met anyone who said no I'll keep fighting that skinny Limerick lad with a Swords shopping centre plastic bag on his head who sounds like hes been inhaling helium for days told me to fight on. Its all pop psychology guff.

From experience I know what beats depression but you never ever hear it on tv.

If he was truly serious he would take the plastic bag off its a joke having a chancer with a spar bag on his head being a leading mental health advocate in Ireland.
    I think his insight is so flawed it beggars belief
    Ie men need feminism to get over depression. Profoundly stupid.

Of course when hes saying this wordy guff to Ryan Tubridy whos looking at him gooey eyed like a teenage girl looking at One Direction he knows Tubs is a simpleton and hasnt got the gumption or balls or intellect to question his stupid logic so he sprouts on.
    Sad to see.
    Stick to the comedy blindboy will ya.

Agree 100%, he is doing nothing to help people with mental health problems. He’s just another Bressie.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Too many too name but the fella's that stands out the most is Jason Byrne, Neil Delamere, Al Porter and guy with floppy hair, a dub, can't remember his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

Agree 100%, he is doing nothing to help people with mental health problems. He’s just another Bressie.

Disagree 100% - couldn't put the ubiquitous Bressie in the same category as Blindboy - I really like blindboy...love the podcast, love his fiction, love the stand up. No accounting for taste I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Didn't Tommy Tiernan have a show years ago on rte where he travelled around the US and met with comedy professionals who told him his act was no good, because he had no jokes - his take was that it was above the yanks heads because he was such a genius and with him it was all nuance, subtleties and irony. Some neck on him. When some of the best comedians that ever lived were American. He still doesn't seem to have jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Too many too name but the fella's that stands out the most is Jason Byrne, Neil Delamere, Al Porter and guy with floppy hair, a dub, can't remember his name.

I think Al Porter is very sharp and funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Yer one Alison Spittle, how in gods name has she got her own show on tv?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

turbbo wrote: »
    I think Al Porter is very sharp and funny.

He's not really, he's just plain annoying tbh.

Advertisement