Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Katherine Lynch is excruciatingly unfunny to listen to in general. It baffled me that she kept getting shows on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

He's not really, he's just plain annoying tbh.

Did you know he's gay and he lives with his mammy?

The few times I've ever seen or heard him, he seems to mention it.

Karl Spain. Where did they get him out of? Does anyone think he's funny?
    That big lad that's on tv3 on weekend morning show, has been in a few films, was in 'the good wife' too. I can't even look at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭tinpib

turbbo wrote: »
    Didn't Tommy Tiernan have a show years ago on rte where he travelled around the US and met with comedy professionals who told him his act was no good, because he had no jokes - his take was that it was above the yanks heads because he was such a genius and with him it was all nuance, subtleties and irony. Some neck on him. When some of the best comedians that ever lived were American. He still doesn't seem to have jokes.

I think American comedian Bill Burr is streets ahead of anyone at the moment, his Monday Morning Podcast is gold.

Anyway, he played a few gigs at the Edinburgh Fringe in 2015, I found it interesting on I think his only night off there, he was only there for a couple of days, he went to see Tommy Tiernan.

He talked about how the guy sitting near him was annoying him as they watched "the master storyteller" Tommy Tiernan.

I was pleasantly surprised at how high regard he held Tommy Tiernan in, especially as another time someone sent him a clip of Dylan Moran in Black Books and it seemed he hadn't even heard of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Didn't Tommy Tiernan have a show years ago on rte where he travelled around the US and met with comedy professionals who told him his act was no good, because he had no jokes - his take was that it was above the yanks heads because he was such a genius and with him it was all nuance, subtleties and irony. Some neck on him. When some of the best comedians that ever lived were American. He still doesn't seem to have jokes.
    Comedians don't require jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

tinpib wrote: »
    I think American comedian Bill Burr is streets ahead of anyone at the moment, his Monday Morning Podcast is gold.

Anyway, he played a few gigs at the Edinburgh Fringe in 2015, I found it interesting on I think his only night off there, he was only there for a couple of days, he went to see Tommy Tiernan.

He talked about how the guy sitting near him was annoying him as they watched "the master storyteller" Tommy Tiernan.

I was pleasantly surprised at how high regard he held Tommy Tiernan in, especially as another time someone sent him a clip of Dylan Moran in Black Books and it seemed he hadn't even heard of him.

I don't know if I'd put Bill Burr is streets ahead of anyone at the moment?
    He's good I'll give you that - love his Steve Jobs bit - but he's no Louis CK.
    I'm amazed that he's packing respect for Tiernan, makes me nervous for him.
    Even worse that he hadn't heard of Dylan Moran who is a plain irish legend.

• Advertisement

It's all subjective isn't it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Comedians don't require jokes

Anecdotes, observations - these are what I mean by jokes. There are probably more but I can't think of them. Tiernan does the odd observation alright but they are clunky and if you take out the shouting and roaring they are usually very unfunny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

The ones that shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Speaking of unfunny, Pat Shortt

The Shortt/Kenny combo were genuinely funny back in the day.

Killinascully was a watered down clumsy re-hash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

Clare Cullen or 'clisare'.

I watched a few of her videos and I just can't see anything even remotely funny in them. I could see why America's might think they are funny, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

All these **** youtubers you can spot their shtick a mile away. When they have "Irish people" in the title it just means they have are using their bogger voices to appeal to yanks to clicks. No Irish person will find it funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Clare Cullen or 'clisare'.

I watched a few of her videos and I just can't see anything even remotely funny in them. I could see why America's might think they are funny, maybe.

She is the ultimate cringe. Seems that her life is meaningless unless she records it and uploads it to youtube.

Her crying when Trump got elected was the funniest thing I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

mikeysmith wrote: »
    The ones that shout

1. Jason Byrne
    2. Jason Byrne
    3. Jason Byrne

He'll be on the Late Late whenever his next book is due out though, mark my words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I don't know if I'd put Bill Burr is streets ahead of anyone at the moment?
    He's good I'll give you that - love his Steve Jobs bit - but he's no Louis CK.
    I'm amazed that he's packing respect for Tiernan, makes me nervous for him.
    Even worse that he hadn't heard of Dylan Moran who is a plain irish legend.

I should hope he's no Louis C.K...that guys a sick pervert.

https://www.avclub.com/5-women-go-in-the-record-accusing-louis-ck-of-sexual-mi-1820305033

I like Burr-he's got opinions I completely disagree with, but he makes them well enough to respect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

EICVD wrote: »
    Yer one Alison Spittle, how in gods name has she got her own show on tv?!
    because you weren't available =P

they have to give someone a show I suppose.
    I haven't seen her show, don't think I'd go out of my way to see it/find it.

Maybe I'm missing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Too many too name but the fella's that stands out the most is Jason Byrne, Neil Delamere, Al Porter and guy with floppy hair, a dub, can't remember his name.

So the cast of The Panel.

One common thing I've noticed about the "comedians" that have rte shows that you all hate, they all wrote shows and got them on tv... That's quite amazing if you think about it...if you're not happy with the comedy on rte write one

Very good point.

They knew the guff they were doing would not last so now blindboy is a pop psychologist now. He knows throwing in big words makes him sound smart and intellectual so hes at the thesaurus everynight probably. Mental health hot topic so hes on that bandwagon.

I have been very depressed and met many who have been there.
    Never met anyone who said no I'll keep fighting that skinny Limerick lad with a Swords shopping centre plastic bag on his head who sounds like hes been inhaling helium for days told me to fight on. Its all pop psychology guff.

From experience I know what beats depression but you never ever hear it on tv.

Therapy, medication, counselling, psychiatry--everything but feminism. No matter how much Eoghan 'my voice hasn't broken despite being 20 years past the onset of puberty' McDermott thinks 'Blindboy speaks sense'.

[/quote]
    If he was truly serious he would take the plastic bag off its a joke having a chancer with a spar bag on his head being a leading mental health advocate in Ireland.
    I think his insight is so flawed it beggars belief
    Ie men need feminism to get over depression. Profoundly stupid.

Of course when hes saying this wordy guff to Ryan Tubridy whos looking at him gooey eyed like a teenage girl looking at One Direction he knows Tubs is a simpleton and hasnt got the gumption or balls or intellect to question his stupid logic so he sprouts on.
    Sad to see.
    Stick to the comedy blindboy will ya.

Yeah, I had to laugh when RTE copyright striked their 'Sonny' song. They whinge a lot too about RTE reshowing their 'Rubberbandit's guide to' without telling em or advertising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

One common thing I've noticed about the "comedians" that have rte shows that you all hate, they all wrote shows and got them on tv... That's quite amazing if you think about it...if you're not happy with the comedy on rte write one

Not quite. RTE tend to have deals and commission shows from specific production companies. It's easy for them to go to a production company and say we want X, Y and Z and they go from there. It's not as easy as writing a sitcom and bringing it to RTE and ask for it to be made, even if it's the greatest thing ever written. A show will probably be agreed to be made before it has even been written.

Somebody mentioned Katherine Lynch, well you only need to look at the below link to show how entrenched some people are with the top brass.

https://www.wakatv.ie/past-productions

Lynch is part owner of this company (I understand), a company who make all of her shows as well as quite a few other RTE luvvies like Vogue Williams. It's cushy for RTE and it's cushy for Lynch and co.

RTE have slots to fill, a type of show to put in there, and most importantly of all, a budget to work with. At this stage they'll probably act on faith that people will watch whatever they put in there.....and they're absolutely right. There seems less of an incentive now to bother their arse filling slots with the best available material.

She is the ultimate cringe. Seems that her life is meaningless unless she records it and uploads it to youtube.

Her crying when Trump got elected was the funniest thing I've ever seen.

She wasn't the only one-the amount of 'Irish' people-emphasis on being Irish who were like 'I'm a bisexual female and Trump's winning will not change this'...I was like...ya wha? (Seriously, blank confused expression on my face).

Some even used the hashtag 'notmypresident' (Again, Irish)...of course he isn't ya daft mare, he's the American President. Ours is a really down to earth short guy who lives in the Aras.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yeah, worked for Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews with Fr Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

If I don't like cheese, I'm not going to start making my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Mainstream comedy has... Still lots of good stuff out there

That's true. I wonder how long it will take until some actual ex boyband members have a go at comedy. They have destroyed pop, then Eurovision, then country music ... comedy surely is their next entertainment avenue to destroy?

All I can hope for with this Spittle show is, for the love of Gawd, don't have the 'paralysed lower jaw' that seems to be typical with anyone pretending to be a 'culchie' actor. (I think that old Irish film, Braineater, was the worst offender-tho I can find many, many more examples (Jason Byrne does it in his tragically terrible 'acting')).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I was going to try listing good Irish comedians.

Dylan Moran
    Dara O'Brien
    Michael Redmond

Dylan Moran
    Dara O'Brien
    Michael Redmond

Ardal O'Hanlan is talented too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Dylan Moran
    Dara O'Brien
    Michael Redmond

Des Bishop and Pj Gallagher are also worth a mention, imo. Dylan Moran is excellent.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

That's true. I wonder how long it will take until some actual ex boyband members have a go at comedy. They have destroyed pop, then Eurovision, then country music ... comedy surely is their next entertainment avenue to destroy?

Don't forget Mikey Graham's destruction of the acting medium in Fatal Deviation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Don't find any of Neil Delamare, Dara O'Briain, Deirdre O'Kane, Maeve Higgins, PJ Gallagher funny.

Aisling Bea is easy on the eye but her long-winded 'jokes' go absolutely nowhere. That said, she wrote an excellent piece on suicide a week ago to make me feel bad for not laughing at her jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dylan Moran
    Dara O'Brien
    Michael Redmond

Jimmy Carr.

Advertisement