Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

One common thing I've noticed about the "comedians" that have rte shows that you all hate, they all wrote shows and got them on tv... That's quite amazing if you think about it...if you're not happy with the comedy on rte write one

Might be a case that whoever commissions the comedy for RTÉ has a terrible sense of humour? It's all terribly one note "What's the deal with culchies/mammy/immersion/lattes/D4 as opposed to any sort of pastiche, satire or clever humour.

Having said that, there hasn't been many comedic gems on RTÉ ever save Scares at Bedtime, and the Panel when it was good (although you can make the argument about the improv aspect of the comedy saving it in that aspect)

This is a broadcaster that regularly gives Vogue Williams work, we're dealing with numpties at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Might be a case that whoever commissions the comedy for RTÉ has a terrible sense of humour? It's all terribly one note "What's the deal with culchies/mammy/immersion/lattes/D4 as opposed to any sort of pastiche, satire or clever humour.

Having said that, there hasn't been many comedic gems on RTÉ ever save Scares at Bedtime, and the Panel when it was good (although you can make the argument about the improv aspect of the comedy saving it in that aspect)

This is a broadcaster that regularly gives Vogue Williams work, we're dealing with numpties at the end of the day.

They also have become super secret about viewership figures. Used to get them every week with either the RTE Guide or the TV now (front page). But now, nope.
    It often highlighted when a program RTE were doing was dying on its butt or proving a major success. You can still get the 'most popular programs'-Ray D'arcy continues to prove he's not worth the money-his show languishes at number 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

They also have become super secret about viewership figures. Used to get them every week with either the RTE Guide or the TV now (front page). But now, nope.
    It often highlighted when a program RTE were doing was dying on its butt or proving a major success. You can still get the 'most popular programs'-Ray D'arcy continues to prove he's not worth the money-his show languishes at number 10.

Sure our Friday night special usually consists of who was caught out in the canteen followed by a massive slice of misery pie. Meanwhile on the BBC, Graham Norton is having the craic with his guests. I don't get why it has to be so dour on RTÉ

Sure our Friday night special usually consists of who was caught out in the canteen followed by a massive slice of misery pie. Meanwhile on the BBC, Graham Norton is having the craic with his guests. I don't get why it has to be so dour on RTÉ

Oh Graham Norton is so casual with guests-you'd swear they were besties. What really showed RTE's crapness was when TV3's the 6'0 Clock show had Joe Pantoliano and John Wesley Shipp (from the Flash) on their show-separate days, but the same week.

The Late Late's special guest that week? A sheep. :confused:

The RTE secret producer spoke about what's going on behind the scenes of the LLS. Essentially the producer on the Late Late Show failed upwards, in order to get the job-despite failing spectacularly on radio. Meanwhile, RTE's screwup on that led to Claire Byrne's show also going down hill-the producer that helped make it good left and went to TV3, working on the News division.
    She had talent-RTE were too inept to see that. Hence two shows are now awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

No, Des Bishop is terrible.

The Immersion, the hot press, tayto.

Bottom of the barrel stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Comedic jems on RTE like hens teeth. Though Langerland and Savage Eye were very good. Langerland one of the very few decent comedies to come from rte.

Get what your saying on Vogue. Stunning girl but a shallow vacuous self indulgent bint. Rte so out of touch they give her a show to talk of her anxiety!.

Ya see they reckon the best person to relate to people with anxiety is a sexy but vain bikini model who uploads pics to instagram of herself in bikinis all day everyday swinging out of some sleazy d list jersey shore juicehead type in St Tropez with cocktails and selfie sticks superglued to their hands.
    Someone that vain and self indulgent should not be given a platform to speak on anxiety.
    Great judgement call eh!. Best person to relate to the youth who might be crippled with anxiety.

There are huge issues with anyone who takes pictures of themselves all the time, posts them and waits for approval. Narcissism.

There are huge issues with anyone who takes pictures of themselves all the time, posts them and waits for approval. Narcissism.

Hardly the anxious delicate flower she lets on when it suits her.
    Vogue has an ego the size of Russia!.

Former housemate dated a hot girl. She would often post sexy pics on facebook etc but she would often get irate and very upset if the likes didn't flood in straight away.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Comedic jems on RTE like hens teeth. Though Langerland and Savage Eye were very good. Langerland one of the very few decent comedies to come from rte.

Get what your saying on Vogue. Stunning girl but a shallow vacuous self indulgent bint. Rte so out of touch they give her a show to talk of her anxiety!.

Ya see they reckon the best person to relate to people with anxiety is a sexy but vain bikini model who uploads pics to instagram of herself in bikinis all day everyday swinging out of some sleazy d list jersey shore juicehead type in St Tropez with cocktails and selfie sticks superglued to their hands.
    Someone that vain and self indulgent should not be given a platform to speak on anxiety.
    Great judgement call eh!. Best person to relate to the youth who might be crippled with anxiety.

As far as I remember it was a YT series that was picked up RTE. The tv version wasn't a patch on the original, felt very sanitised in comparision.

As far as I remember it was a YT series that was picked up RTE. The tv version wasn't a patch on the original, felt very sanitised in comparision.

True but at least RTE showed and promoted it instead of the dross they have now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

There's yet another RTE 2 'comedy' on the way called The School. Promises to be more awful unfunny drivel posing as so-called 'comedy'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

There's yet another RTE 2 'comedy' on the way called The School. Promises to be more awful unfunny drivel posing as so-called 'comedy'.

RTE don't want anything to overtake Fair City as their #1 comedy......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

EICVD wrote: »
    RTE don't want anything to overtake Fair City as their #1 comedy......

The School looks like an update of Finbarr's Class. The person who plays Carol in Fair City was in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Decent gang.. I'll be open minded until I've seen it. I like them actually.

The School looks like an update of Finbarr's Class. The person who plays Carol in Fair City was in that.

There was a similar one years ago, a 'night course' kinda show-it was trying horrifically hard to emulate the Office-but it was depressing instead of funny. Not funny, it actually made me sad.
    Ah, did a quick google-The English Class, that's the name of it. It was absolutely abysmal.

https://presspack.rte.ie/2007/10/01/the-english-class-new-series/

CCCahoots are iffy-I've only seen one or two good sketches from them, in total. Other than that...not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

I loved the blizzard of Odd with Colin Murphy and Don't Feed the Gondolas, along with Scare at bedtime, RTE's comedy has been dire ever since

There was a similar one years ago, a 'night course' kinda show-it was trying horrifically hard to emulate the Office-but it was depressing instead of funny. Not funny, it actually made me sad.
    Ah, did a quick google-The English Class, that's the name of it. It was absolutely abysmal.

https://presspack.rte.ie/2007/10/01/the-english-class-new-series/

CCCahoots are iffy-I've only seen one or two good sketches from them, in total. Other than that...not good.

"Myles Brennan, like all great comic characters....."

Jaysus RTE really know how to blow their own trumpets. I remember that steaming pile of shyte and there was nothing great about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭buried

I loved the blizzard of Odd with Colin Murphy and Don't Feed the Gondolas, along with Scare at bedtime, RTE's comedy has been dire ever since

Yeah, 'The Blizzard of Odd' was great tack! It was strange though, you'd be laughing but also half knowing it wouldn't last with their high level of pulling the p!ss out of the terrible segments of some established pillar RTE shows. They obviously shut it down the stiff precious twats

"Myles Brennan, like all great comic characters....."

Jaysus RTE really know how to blow their own trumpets. I remember that steaming pile of shyte and there was nothing great about it.

One of the actresses went on to have a role in a Bond movie. The rest...eh.
    buried wrote: »
    Yeah, 'The Blizzard of Odd' was great tack! It was strange though, you'd be laughing but also half knowing it wouldn't last with their high level of pulling the p!ss out of the terrible segments of some established pillar RTE shows. They obviously shut it down the stiff precious twats

Colin Murphy spoke about that-sadly, round the late 00's, the Web was massive. Youtube and torrenting was taking off. It killed off shows like his, including another one that was on C4, I believe. (The name of the show eludes me).

One of the actresses went on to have a role in a Bond movie. The rest...eh.

Colin Murphy spoke about that-sadly, round the late 00's, the Web was massive. Youtube and torrenting was taking off. It killed off shows like his, including another one that was on C4, I believe. (The name of the show eludes me).

Yeah, I loved that weekly thing about crap Irish movies they used to do. It was there that I first heard of stuff like Fatal Deviation but with the advent of Youtube etc obscure stuff that was once impossible to find is now easily available. Which is good in a way but it's kind of killed the mystery around it too.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I loved that weekly thing about crap Irish movies they used to do. It was there that I first heard of stuff like Fatal Deviation but with the advent of Youtube etc obscure stuff that was once impossible to find is now easily available. Which is good in a way but it's kind of killed the mystery around it too.

Yeah, same. As well as him unearthing the movies starring 'before they were on Fair City' actors and actresses. He then unearthed a Roger Corman film where Fair City actress Ciara O'Callahan went topless in SpaceJacked.

Yeah, same-I remember the mystery around movies sorta made them so much more fun. Like, there were websites like blackstar(name is more than likely wrong), I think, where you could order really obscure bad movies like Manos, and Plan 9, among others. Now they're on youtube or Vimeo.
    The good thing is that you're meeting more and more people who love awful films, or crazy videos. And now it's just like 'here, I'll show you' and away you go. Before there was an element of 'he's a spoofer, he's making it up'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

RTE's best comedian was Paths to Freedom. I regularly rewatch it. I wish they'd go back to making things like that.

Any clips of Finbar's Class? I can only imagine that the cringe has multiplied over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    RTE's best comedian was Paths to Freedom. I regularly rewatch it. I wish they'd go back to making things like that.

Personally thought the Savage Eye was RTEs best comedy show

EICVD wrote: »
    Personally thought the Savage Eye was RTEs best comedy show

I liked the earlier seasons but felt he lost the run of himself in the later ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I'm sure Al Porter has been mentioned but can we make a pact to mention his stunning lack of talent, charm and anything approaching humour at least once a day ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Saw a clip for that new Spittle programme starting tonight. It was 3 girls in a car, with one giving out to the other about wiping her arse with her mothers good towels, and trying to flush them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Saw a clip for that new Spittle programme starting tonight. It was 3 girls in a car, with one giving out to the other about wiping her arse with her mothers good towels, and trying to flush them.

And the comedy would be ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I liked the earlier seasons but felt he lost the run of himself in the later ones.

He was forced to make the last series

• Advertisement

He was forced to make the last series

That makes sense.

Advertisement