Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i haven't seen it.........in what way? the contestants? or just Porter himself?

https://www.facebook.com/TVThreeIreland/videos/10155230351329538/?hc_ref=ARSGAXkIv_Hy3KbB3ucGq3kOyRbM8N2LQcZ_ZVTWOuMWlnOqEnytDKkouxcvfzN8FZA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Pretty much woeful. Spittle fancies herself as a Lena Dunham type.

There was some serious bad acting (mainly Spittle, and her 'friends' are no better) which made it obvious these were caricatures rather than characters. Predictable jokes, as well as some jokes seriously in bad taste-like really bad taste.
    (One about 'I'll tell your granny about your trip to England, full body massage....and a womb scraping'-yes, it's an abortion joke. From a 'repealer'. And the jokes so funny, it gets repeated...no it's not funny, that's sarcasm).

The 'homeopathy joke' was also brutal, but she laughed at her own joke-lame.

And there was serious continuity errors in the editing-the best example being when Spittle was eating Scampi crisps. The bag went from closed, to open, to Spittle holding a crisp, to the bag being in shot, out of shot, hand not holding a crisp where it was etc Like, editing is a basic skill anyone can learn. It made it seriously amateurish.

Honestly, it was dreadful-like someone decided to make Pure Mule but then realised Pure Mule existed already. Then they tried to make 'Girls' realised that existed also-and just combined two bad ideas into one. Originality went out the door.

Some real condescending crud as well. 'Being 40 and stuck in the same place'...uh, what? You mean like someone who is 40 years old, working, and isn't 'living it up in liberal Dublin' is a failure?...Wow, this was painful.

Like how they had one drink, then got kicked out of the pub, they were fine and coherent in the pub, but then locked to the point of vomiting once they set foot outside it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Another glaring error I spotted was that the main character's name is Angela, when I know for a fact that her real name is Alison. Also, the priest from Moone Boy was in it. And he wasn't a priest this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Like how they had one drink, then got kicked out of the pub, they were fine and coherent in the pub, but then locked to the point of vomiting once they set foot outside it.

Could be a millennial thing - one organic artisan Martini and you're anyone's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Nowhere Fast:

It wasn't a classic, but it was watchable I thought. It depends on what the bar is, if the bar is "the Office" or "Curb Your Enthusiasm" then it falls well short, but pretty much everything does. If the bar is "Can't Cope, Won't Cope" or "The Centre" then it's groundbreaking. The issue with Irish comedy now, much more so than even 10 years ago is that the level of alternative choice is huge. It's not just up against what's on BBC or SkyOne, it's up against the very best comedy's being made anywhere and available on demand, it's not schedule dependent. What used to be passable has to be better now.

At least it passes the first rule of a comedy show, i.e. to try and be funny. It had some jokes and I did laugh a few times. I will watch next week anyway.

The downside were the predictable nods to abortion and the standard negative male characters, but they weren't over the top and were reasonable subtle, so it can be overlooked. There were a couple of apparent gaffs but again they can be overlooked, the thing about the number of drinks thing isn't really a mistake IMO. It was shot with the idea that they were there for a while (the party at the start was quiet, then got louder; the song request then playing it later on). As for them being drunk after the pub, on the surface it looks wrong, because they weren't drunk leaving the pub, and then the lead character got sick for some reason. Bear in mind the first drink didn't go down well so that's a reference to that I think. They had their own drink so they could have had that after leaving the place.

The twitter response was predictably sycophantic and false, particularly from the usual suspects. It was always going to be loved by LON, the Rubberbandits and the standard posse on twitter, that's a given, but even if you stretch it beyond the "This is the best show ever", or "we all know a XXXX" guff within the first 5 minutes the general reaction was still broadly positive. As far as first episodes go it setup the characters and storyline well enough and had a few good visual and punchy jokes, it passed the test in episode 1 IMO. It needs to be judged on the whole series obviously enough.

By coincidence it's launched at much the same time as a very similar show on E4, "Gameface". One thing I notice is that there are a lot of all female (or as good as) comedy shows, this one, Can't Cope, Drifters, Gameface. Drifters is the pick of the bunch IMO, a very good show, but I notice a lot of the references are women who act like men, so effectively lad comedy's played by women. Do women draw choppers in copybooks? The lead funny character in Nowhere Fast is a proxy for Jay in the Inbetweeners or that ilk. Side point I suppose, if it's funny it's funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

ligerdub wrote: »
    Nowhere Fast:

It wasn't a classic, but it was watchable I thought. It depends on what the bar is, if the bar is "the Office" or "Curb Your Enthusiasm" then it falls well short, but pretty much everything does. If the bar is "Can't Cope, Won't Cope" or "The Centre" then it's groundbreaking. The issue with Irish comedy now, much more so than even 10 years ago is that the level of alternative choice is huge. It's not just up against what's on BBC or SkyOne, it's up against the very best comedy's being made anywhere and available on demand, it's not schedule dependent. What used to be passable has to be better now.

At least it passes the first rule of a comedy show, i.e. to try and be funny. It had some jokes and I did laugh a few times. I will watch next week anyway.

The downside were the predictable nods to abortion and the standard negative male characters, but they weren't over the top and were reasonable subtle, so it can be overlooked. There were a couple of apparent gaffs but again they can be overlooked, the thing about the number of drinks thing isn't really a mistake IMO. It was shot with the idea that they were there for a while (the party at the start was quiet, then got louder; the song request then playing it later on). As for them being drunk after the pub, on the surface it looks wrong, because they weren't drunk leaving the pub, and then the lead character got sick for some reason. Bear in mind the first drink didn't go down well so that's a reference to that I think. They had their own drink so they could have had that after leaving the place.

The twitter response was predictably sycophantic and false, particularly from the usual suspects. It was always going to be loved by LON, the Rubberbandits and the standard posse on twitter, that's a given, but even if you stretch it beyond the "This is the best show ever", or "we all know a XXXX" guff within the first 5 minutes the general reaction was still broadly positive. As far as first episodes go it setup the characters and storyline well enough and had a few good visual and punchy jokes, it passed the test in episode 1 IMO. It needs to be judged on the whole series obviously enough.

By coincidence it's launched at much the same time as a very similar show on E4, "Gameface". One thing I notice is that there are a lot of all female (or as good as) comedy shows, this one, Can't Cope, Drifters, Gameface. Drifters is the pick of the bunch IMO, a very good show, but I notice a lot of the references are women who act like men, so effectively lad comedy's played by women. Do women draw choppers in copybooks? The lead funny character in Nowhere Fast is a proxy for Jay in the Inbetweeners or that ilk. Side point I suppose, if it's funny it's funny.

I really can't see the lead "actress" going on about the amount of sex she gets, a la Jay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I really can't see the lead "actress" going on about the amount of sex she gets, a la Jay.

Sorry, I meant the red head one, the more "gag" provider aka "the football team isn't going to ride itself" one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I can see her saying the amount of alleged "unwanted contact" she gets, that's de rigeus at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Alison Spittle. Good grief! About as funny as cancer...Pat Shortt does small town Ireland better. cathy belton needs to do a runner from this crap..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Catastrophe is a very Irish show and is excellent. Deals with issues like most people encounter them and not in a preachy socially "awoke" way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Karl Spain, the unfunniest comedian I've ever had to sit through at the comedy club. His jokes were all plagiarized.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Alison Spittle. Good grief! About as funny as cancer...Pat Shortt does small town Ireland better. cathy belton needs to do a runner from this crap..

The ads for her new programe on RTE nowhere fast were bad enough

The show was terrible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

PWEI wrote: »
    Karl Spain, the unfunniest comedian I've ever had to sit through at the comedy club. His jokes were all plagiarized.

I remember him on the Panel relating that old "I'm fat because your ma gives me a biscuit every time I ride her" joke as if he was the first ever person to tell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Yeah, I loved that weekly thing about crap Irish movies they used to do. It was there that I first heard of stuff like Fatal Deviation but with the advent of Youtube etc obscure stuff that was once impossible to find is now easily available. Which is good in a way but it's kind of killed the mystery around it too.

Aww loved that show too. Never realized that was one of the reasons it ended but makes sense, pity.

Channel 4 used to have equally bizarre shows on around the same time after the watershed in the late ninety's to mid noughties (Vids, Adam and joe, Bits) that we'll probably never see the like of again.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

RayM wrote: »
    Another glaring error I spotted was that the main character's name is Angela, when I know for a fact that her real name is Alison. Also, the priest from Moone Boy was in it. And he wasn't a priest this time.

LOL. Are you actually getting offended by people not liking a TV show?
    Sure sounds like it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Jason Byrne is hosting a cheap and crappy scavenger hunt type gameshow now, it's all he deserves.

Everyone has to be "offended" don't they? Couldn't possibly just be amused at some people's weirdly pedantic observations about crisp packets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Everyone has to be "offended" don't they? Couldn't possibly just be amused at some people's weirdly pedantic observations about crisp packets.

Alison fits the profile. Not many of the others mentioned in the thread would be so lucky as to have you watching their backs for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

ligerdub wrote: »
    Nowhere Fast:

(You said Drifter's twice ;) )

As long as it doesn't get it's own condemning article on lgbt websites (see The Centre) then it will be doing well. Now that was a show that killed part of my soul, after one episode. Even had mention of statutory rape...gah. (Morgan Jones, why do you do many tragically unfunny 'comedy' shows, stick to the voice overs fella).
    I can see her saying the amount of alleged "unwanted contact" she gets, that's de rigeus at the mo.
    Oh God-if they do, it will be via the 'loose' friend. cos that's also de rigeur.

Ah will you layve em alone-this isn't twitter, here opinions are challenged.

The sad thing is, it's such a low, low bar for RTE-well, in comparison to the last 10 years or more, that we're supposed to be 'delighted' with sub-standard work. And 'Nowhere Fast' is sub standard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Jason Byrne is hosting a cheap and crappy scavenger hunt type gameshow now, it's all he deserves.

he doesn't even deserve the dole, he's awful....i reckon he wakes up every pinching himself

"i'm actually making a living from this"

he's no funnier than your average school boy clown

• Advertisement

darkdubh wrote: »
    I remember him on the Panel relating that old "I'm fat because your ma gives me a biscuit every time I ride her" joke as if he was the first ever person to tell it.

I think he mentioned that was the from another comedian-like he mentioned the name. Can't remember who it was though.

Yeah, or when they are in the car and the friend is talking about the time she used 'mammy's towels' to wiper her butt. Alison goes from smiling, to dour, to smiling. It's meant to be the same shot, but again, editing and continuity is bad. (It's mostly Spittle-shows how amateurish she was at acting. There's a bit where she was like 'what am I supposed to do?' in a supposed panicked and quarter life crisis feeling-and instead, it feels like a bad line reading. Someone should have had her read that line again, for at least two shots.) The constant running gag of 'do you want a can' got tiresome. As was the 'I went to college...' which screamed Lena Dunham tropes. I know people who didn't do the LC, and are working with careers that are way flipping better than many of us. Probably doing better than Spittle too.
    (Also, what is it with the trope of 'one slutty friend, one shy and retiring friend'-seen more character development in a Looney Tunes cartoon. Bugs Bunny and Daffy had a more complicated relationship).

Don't think I've ever seen people put so much effort into disliking something before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Don't think I've ever seen people put so much effort into disliking something before.

No mirrors in your house?

No mirrors in your house?

Uh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

I hate comedy because social media has ripped the part of humanity out of me that allowed me to laugh.

You've obviously not seen the thread for the Million Euro challenge show. Well over 100 pages.

This is paltry in comparison.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

philstar wrote: »
    he doesn't even deserve the dole, he's awful....i reckon he wakes up every pinching himself

"i'm actually making a living from this"

he's no funnier than your average school boy clown

Nah, I'd say he thinks hes gas altogether.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-reviews/nowhere-fast-review-if-you-enjoyed-fleabag-or-sharon-horgans-stuff-youll-probably-love-alison-spittles-new-comedy-36316477.html

I think the indo did a good job reviewing it. My problem is so many of the few jokey moment's weren't even funny enough. Like, if you go back and watched Spaced (Edgar Wright's brilliant early foray showing his style) you'll see some amazing jokes, but also what sells many of them is the camera work. Even now, it's the camera work in his movies that sells the joke.
    IF the 'old guy' joke had used a camera trick-it woulda been funnier. But then again, there's a lot needed to fix this kinda show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Grainne Maguire. up and coming on the circuit in England, but dreadful. I don't know what it is about the english finding painfully unfunny irish comedians to be hilarious. her accent grates, she seems to be over enunciating every letter when she speaks but that's on top of her crap humour, like a schoolkid doing the intro to a play for the parents
    she was on last weeks 'The Now Show' podcast, and this weeks 'Remainiacs' podcast if anyone wants a shyte start to the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Not saying she's unfunny but how did Maeve Higgins rock up in NYC? Green card? work visa? etc.

I love how folk can just "move" to the USA....

I don't find her funny but more power to her...

Advertisement