Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

For God knows what reason that Wesley Quirke bloke who did that Damo character came into my head this morning... I never found it funny at all.
    Plus, what did he base the character on? Has he ever even spoke to someone outside of South County Dublin?

It's Andy Quirke - Wesley is his brother.

I would not even call him a comedian.
    Just a bunch of rich kids from D4 taking their Secondary School slagging of the "Skobes" and filming it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Add The Last Furlong to that list. That was painful stuff.

Simon Delaney is another that I have never found remotely funny although Bachelors Walk was decent.

I don’t think Delaney is a comedian. He’s more an “I’ll do absolutely anything to be famous”. Actor, talk show host, currently trying to be a celeb chef.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Add The Last Furlong to that list. That was painful stuff.

Simon Delaney is another that I have never found remotely funny although Bachelors Walk was decent.

That thing where he played a Portuguese opera singer or something, that was pure unadulterated scutter that should never have been given the green light.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Andrew Maxwell.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

For God knows what reason that Wesley Quirke bloke who did that Damo character came into my head this morning... I never found it funny at all.
    Plus, what did he base the character on? Has he ever even spoke to someone outside of South County Dublin?

Don't think he did much research into the "look" of Damo. Wackers with moustaches largely haven't been seen since about the turn of the millenium.

DNJESwWXcAA-L2d.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

tipptom wrote: »
    There used to be a show on RTE a few years back that was a rip off of "Have I got News For You",it had the motherload of seriously bad "RTE type comedians" trying to be witty and failing miserably.

RTE has a lot to answer for forcing some of these people on us.

I remember that. It didn't last long cos it was shyte, one of the comperes was Kevin Myers who really showed his limitations as a raconteur.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

"This Is Nightlive"..should've been called "This is unadulterated shiite"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

There's absolutely nothing worse than Irish political satire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,089 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

gossamer wrote: »
    Ed Byrne. Painfully unfunny. I haven't seen the lad in years but all I remember is his lank, greasy hair and the yellowed brown teeth, sounding like a young lad whose voice had just broken. Surgically attached to the smug article that is Dara O'Briain of course. I haven't a notion how he sold one ticket to his gigs.

Ed Byrne (aka Dara's shadow) and Jason Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I don’t think Delaney is a comedian. He’s more an “I’ll do absolutely anything to be famous”. Actor, talk show host, currently trying to be a celeb chef.

Yeah I suppose. He used to be pigeon holed for the “funny” roles though, he could never pull it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

PJ Gallagher (in fits at himself)
    All Byrnes (Ed or Jason)
    Dara O Briain - UK you are welcome
    Deirdre O Kane (is she even a comedian?)
    Al Porter - gay brendan o carroll
    Brendan Carroll - straight Al Porter
    The two muppets of Bridget & Eamonn

One or two good ones

Dylan Moran
    Michael Redmond very good, but not active now
    Dave Allen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

gargargar wrote: »
    All Byrnes (Ed or Jason)

One or two good ones

Dylan Moran
    Dave Allen

Agree on all those. PJ Gallagher shouldn't even be called a comedian. He has no stage craft whatsoever like some of the even average ones on the circuit do. He's just the "I'm mad" fella you meet in most pubs, who seems to have made a career out of it. Good luck to him, but if I saw him walk on stage I'd leave the room.

I've seen a fella a few times on the Dublin circuit that they advertise as some kind of visiting royalty. Hes a small guy, probably 40s, long blondish hair and goatee, wears a suit mostly. Cant think of his name but never have I seen someone think he's so funny, and be so unfunny. He was the worst comedian I have ever seen, and he seems to think he's Stewart Lee.

Johnny Candon is treated the same - he was announced as having supported Ricky Gervais in what must have been an act of charity. Saw him twice; first time he resorted to mother jokes, second time someone shouted at him to get on with it because he wasn't funny, and he fell apart on stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

PJ Gallagher shouldn't even be called a comedian. He has no stage craft whatsoever like some of the even average ones on the circuit do. He's just the "I'm mad" fella you meet in most pubs, who seems to have made a career out of it.
    100% agree with the above. He really is just the lad down the pub

Another tool is Jarlath Regan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

All Byrnes (Ed or Jason)

One or two good ones

Dylan Moran
    Dave Allen

The unfunny ones you mention are either unfunny, vulgar or over-rated and in some cases all three. That crowd tickler is not the worst but is definitely overrated and has snobbery attached to him. That dirty comedy introduced by Mrs Brown and continued by Al Porter is totally unfunny at this stage if it ever was even funny to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Andrew Maxwell.

I wonder does footage exist of his bombing at the Cat Laughs Festival.

I believe the story featured on Liveline the next day as angry punters were demanding refunds.

I'm not sure of the year, think it was sometime in the late 00s.

Could've been Iveagh Gardens also actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Could've been Iveagh Gardens also actually.

Yea tried to find there but no luck.

Iveagh Gardens - Carlsberg Comedy Festival July 2009

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

There's absolutely nothing worse than Irish political satire.

Scrap Saturday and to an extent Nighthawks but that was twenty five years ago.

Since then there's been.

Bull Island : Rubbish.
    Rosenstock: Ok for a while at first but he's morphed into a latter day Brendan Grace recycling the same routines and gags over and over.
    Oliver Callan: Never was funny.
    Irelands Pictorial Weekly: Had a promising start but went downhill fast, by the end nearly as bad as Bull Island.

• Advertisement

This might not go down well but I remember watching an old Dermot Morgan VHS tape with a friend at my parents house. We'd been out drinking and were looking for a laugh to finish off the night.

The two of us sat in silence for the hour. He was absolutely terrible. It really shocked me how bad it was.

This might not go down well but I remember watching an old Dermot Morgan VHS tape with a friend at my parents house. We'd been out drinking and were looking for a laugh to finish off the night.

The two of us sat in silence for the hour. He was absolutely terrible. It really shocked me how bad it was.

It's true I'm afraid, his solo stuff was bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Another tool is Jarlath Regan

He's not that bad. I've had a few laughs at his material, and his podcast is pretty good too. He's making a go of it, and putting the hours in.

Certainly a hell of a lot better than many 'high-profile' comics like Jason Byrne and Andrew Maxwell. (Maxwell is tragic-he used to be decent, now he's given up).

That's one of the shocking things, for many tbh-how bad Morgan really was. I remember Pat Kenny saying 'one of RTE's greatest missteps' was not nurturing Morgan's talent. But tbh, they gave him a lot of chances.
    I mean, Brendan Grace was able to make it in comedy, and be successful, whereas Morgan was given a ton of chances by RTe (often on the Late Late or Kenny Live) and wasn't. And no, I'm not a fan of Grace.
    If you go back and watch his material-especially his standups or 'one off's' shows-they were pretty awful.
    His contemporaries-people like Michael Redmond, were actually garnering attention in the UK. Dermot didn't really get any attention until Fr Ted. But that was not his material. It would be interesting to see if he could have maintained that momentum on his own

I reckon he would have had a nice career acting in sitcoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I love Fr. Ted and there were some good parts to his performance but it never struck me as great comic acting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He's currently trying to pass himself off as some kind of American diner chef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

I mean yes, all comedy is ****e - most of it is lowest common denominator bull**** being said by attention seeking sociopaths,,, but the amount of begrudgery in this thread...

As ****e as it is, it's still artistic expression. These people are doing a tightrope act under duress and managing to hold together some semblance of performance - you can dislike the substance of what they've done without hating them - after all, they've made a whole rooms of people laugh for enough time to make a career of it.

There's a reason why most Irish comedy is ****e and it's because the only people who do it are savants who don't feel how much ire they bring on themselves by performing. Normal people don't want to put themselves out there because by and large they feel they could do better, and they take the fact that someone thought they could get on stage as a personal affront.

If we only allowed the comedians who've passed the sniff test in this thread, there'd be Dylan Moran(who you can tell is lucky to have found comedy because in any other context he'd be a mumbly smelly drifter), Michael Redmond(who has about 15 minutes of material online, would also be a smelly drifter) and Dave Allen(who's ****ing dead and also only has about 15 minutes of material online, and had to leave the country to get opportunities).

No one else got passed by boards. All the other comedians had a rake of people saying they were ****e, some of that was difference in opinion but most of it had real bile behind it. We're a fickle bunch and there's not really enough of us to have a deep enough scene to breed real talent, by and large as an audience we don't like to be challenged or ironically patronised(unless the pitch is perfect) or made to feel uncomfortable - this leads to a shallowness of subject and character as performers learn to play it safe to keep the audience on their side, which gives curmudgeons the ammunition to take digs at performers for being panderers which just perpetuates it all over again.

80% of the names mentioned in this thread kill audiences when they're abroad. The comedians aren't really the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

We're gonna need a bigger thread! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He's not that bad. I've had a few laughs at his material, and his podcast is pretty good too. He's making a go of it, and putting the hours in.

Certainly a hell of a lot better than many 'high-profile' comics like Jason Byrne and Andrew Maxwell. (Maxwell is tragic-he used to be decent, now he's given up).

That's one of the shocking things, for many tbh-how bad Morgan really was. I remember Pat Kenny saying 'one of RTE's greatest missteps' was not nurturing Morgan's talent. But tbh, they gave him a lot of chances.
    I mean, Brendan Grace was able to make it in comedy, and be successful, whereas Morgan was given a ton of chances by RTe (often on the Late Late or Kenny Live) and wasn't. And no, I'm not a fan of Grace.
    If you go back and watch his material-especially his standups or 'one off's' shows-they were pretty awful.
    His contemporaries-people like Michael Redmond, were actually garnering attention in the UK. Dermot didn't really get any attention until Fr Ted. But that was not his material. It would be interesting to see if he could have maintained that momentum on his own

Michael Redmond was immortalised in the Stuart Lee "Joe pasquale" joke and i then noticed him popping up in brasseye /fr Ted (obviously) /and the comedy vehicle... He seems to be held in very high regard by the successful UK alternative comedians... People often say to me........... Get out of my garden ':)

• Advertisement

I mean yes, all comedy is ****e - most of it is lowest common denominator bull**** being said by attention seeking sociopaths,,, but the amount of begrudgery in this thread...

As ****e as it is, it's still artistic expression. These people are doing a tightrope act under duress and managing to hold together some semblance of performance - you can dislike the substance of what they've done without hating them - after all, they've made a whole rooms of people laugh for enough time to make a career of it.

There's a reason why most Irish comedy is ****e and it's because the only people who do it are savants who don't feel how much ire they bring on themselves by performing. Normal people don't want to put themselves out there because by and large they feel they could do better, and they take the fact that someone thought they could get on stage as a personal affront.

If we only allowed the comedians who've passed the sniff test in this thread, there'd be Dylan Moran(who you can tell is lucky to have found comedy because in any other context he'd be a mumbly smelly drifter), Michael Redmond(who has about 15 minutes of material online, would also be a smelly drifter) and Dave Allen(who's ****ing dead and also only has about 15 minutes of material online, and had to leave the country to get opportunities).

No one else got passed by boards. All the other comedians had a rake of people saying they were ****e, some of that was difference in opinion but most of it had real bile behind it. We're a fickle bunch and there's not really enough of us to have a deep enough scene to breed real talent, by and large as an audience we don't like to be challenged or ironically patronised(unless the pitch is perfect) or made to feel uncomfortable - this leads to a shallowness of subject and character as performers learn to play it safe to keep the audience on their side, which gives curmudgeons the ammunition to take digs at performers for being panderers which just perpetuates it all over again.

80% of the names mentioned in this thread kill audiences when they're abroad. The comedians aren't really the problem.

The thread is about unfunny Irish comedians, there's nothing wrong with this thread. People are allowed to dislike things.

Speaking of terrible comedians...

JUNE RODGERS

Advertisement