Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

I don't agree with this
    I mean yes, all comedy is ****e - most of it is lowest common denominator bull**** being said by attention seeking sociopaths
    there are plenty of comics who aim higher than that.

But I do think you are on to something here:
    We're a fickle bunch and there's not really enough of us to have a deep enough scene to breed real talent, by and large as an audience we don't like to be challenged or ironically patronised(unless the pitch is perfect) or made to feel uncomfortable - this leads to a shallowness of subject and character as performers learn to play it safe to keep the audience on their side, which gives curmudgeons the ammunition to take digs at performers for being panderers which just perpetuates it all over again.

Ireland is small and there aren't the audience numbers to sustain stuff outside the mainstream (Irish jazz anyone?).

80% of the names mentioned in this thread kill audiences when they're abroad. The comedians aren't really the problem.
    and Brendan O Carroll is winning comedy awards in the UK doing nob gags. People be crazy ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

PJ Gallagher getting a lot of mentions. I’ve never heard his standup or his radio show but I just can’t hate the man that gave us Jake Stevens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

PJ Gallagher getting a lot of mentions. I’ve never heard his standup or his radio show but I just can’t hate the man that gave us Jake Stevens.

I can-he wore out this one half developed 'character'-and then scraped the barrel for material.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Capt Peacock

Andrew Maxwell on that David Mcwilliams show, howls of canned laughter and nobody in the 30 odd audience laughing ffs.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I can-he wore out this one half developed 'character'-and then scraped the barrel for material.

That show where he brought Jake Stevens to America was ****. Toe curlingly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I'm a big fan of Joe Rooney writes really great material

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

gargargar wrote: »
    Ireland is small and there aren't the audience numbers to sustain stuff outside the mainstream (Irish jazz anyone?).

Sadly this Ireland is small and there's not enough numbers to sustain stuff outside of the (media defined) mainstream is always used as an excuse to keep promoting the same old drivel over and over. The media KNOW there is that audience who follow them like the Pied Piper's rats or children and who will respond positively to anything on Tubridy, etc. Once they have enough sheep to follow blindly, they can justify. The rest of us, the majority, are never asked.

I'm sure Irish jazz and proper Irish musical forms in general would find a mainstream audience if the media pushed it. Sadly, the media is fixated on bad modern country and boybands. Our media just get a fixation of certain individuals and push them to the hilt. In comedy, that is the likes of Mrs Brown/Brendan O'Carroll, PJ Gallagher and Oliver Callan, all of whom are not particularly funny when one gets an overdose of them. They also focused on a certain guy called Al Porter until now! Smutty comedy, imitations of politicians and naked camera type stuff was the comedic equivalent of the bad music. The mainstreaming of this was due to the media's focus on certain individuals and not because Ireland is a small place.

Without looking at Christmas schedules, Mrs Brown will SURELY be on at least 2 times over the holidays. Gallagher, Callan and so on too will be on somewhere too and Porter would have been planned too only for the revelations. It is time our media stop forcing people on us and giving them an unfair advantage over others. The amount of unfunny and often vulgar comedians on Tubridy and so on would make one cry rather than laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

That's one of the shocking things, for many tbh-how bad Morgan really was. I remember Pat Kenny saying 'one of RTE's greatest missteps' was not nurturing Morgan's talent. But tbh, they gave him a lot of chances.
    I mean, Brendan Grace was able to make it in comedy, and be successful, whereas Morgan was given a ton of chances by RTe (often on the Late Late or Kenny Live) and wasn't. And no, I'm not a fan of Grace.
    If you go back and watch his material-especially his standups or 'one off's' shows-they were pretty awful.

Ah no, Dermot Morgan was a risk-taker and his material was hit & miss(a charge that could also be leveled at Spike Milligan), but he was capable of brilliant ideas and performances. His stand-up was a mixed bag (and is quite dated now), but he was great on Scrap Saturday. His impersonations were a million times better than the likes of Oliver Callan or Mario Rosenstock.

Brendan Grace "made it" because he was good at delivering tried & tested jokes and never deviated from that safe format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

liam7831 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Joe Rooney writes really great material

He did a "comedy" gig in my hometown for our summer festival a few years ago as part of a comedy duo, The Hairy Boozies. It was the most awful thing I've ever been subjected to. I got up to leave and he did the "Oh are you going to the toilet, don't worry we'll all wait for you" bit, that can be funny if the comedian is funny. I told him "Ah, I won't be coming back, you're ****e". Got the biggest laugh of his set, the rest of the audience then realised that they too could leave and there was a mass exodus. Literally 90% of the marquee left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

He did a "comedy" gig in my hometown for our summer festival a few years ago as part of a comedy duo, The Hairy Boozies. It was the most awful thing I've ever been subjected to. I got up to leave and he did the "Oh are you going to the toilet, don't worry we'll all wait for you" bit, that can be funny if the comedian is funny. I told him "Ah, I won't be coming back, you're ****e". Got the biggest laugh of his set, the rest of the audience then realised that they too could leave and there was a mass exodus. Literally 90% of the marquee left.

Last years Christmas work outing me and my colleagues stumbled upon a place where he was performing as part of some kind of Fr Ted festival. It really did feel like he was just going through the motions, there was a band on as well and we were all plastered so wasn't too bothered but I wouldn't fancy sitting through his act stone cold sober.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Joe is a decent stand up, he's at it a long time. Nice fella too.

The 2 Johnnies are doing a tour of nightclubs now. If you haven't heard of them picture the typical GAA, pretending to be backwards, lowest common denominator, lazy, terrible, terrible no joke nonsense with over pronounced country accents. They also fancy themselves as rock stars and have the absolute worst kind of Saw Doctors rip off music you could imagine.

I hate them so much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

About as funny as they look!434340.jpg

Is the one on the left a man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

our left or theirs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The 2 Johnnies are doing a tour of nightclubs now. If you haven't heard of them picture the typical GAA, pretending to be backwards, lowest common denominator, lazy, terrible, terrible no joke nonsense with over pronounced country accents. They also fancy themselves as rock stars and have the absolute worst kind of Saw Doctors rip off music you could imagine.

I hate them so much.

In fact any act a local gaa club would hire for an event coz there "a bit of craic".... I hate...

our left or theirs?

Our left

MysticMonk wrote: »
    About as funny as they look!434340.jpg

I forgot about them. Was it them who did a song about a nun?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

It must say something about me that this is my favourite thread on boards ever.
    Anyway I don't get the adulation and constant quoting of Father Ted on this site and others. The first 2 series were funny, when it came out and I was 15, but I thought the 3rd was awful. If any episode comes on now I have to turn it off because I just find it childish and cringeworthy. I understand I'm in a tiny minority here with these views but does anyone feel the same?
    Oh and I'm sure there'll be 1000 replies to this post now with people saying things like I'll smash your head through a wall etc. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Frank Carson and Jimmy Cricket........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Anyway I don't get the adulation and constant quoting of Father Ted on this site and others. The first 2 series were funny, when it came out and I was 15, but I thought the 3rd was awful. If any episode comes on now I have to turn it off because I just find it childish and cringeworthy. I understand I'm in a tiny minority here with these views but does anyone feel the same?
    Oh and I'm sure there'll be 1000 replies to this post now with people saying things like I'll smash your head through a wall etc. Hilarious.

Ive posted this before. Unfollowed the thread 50 quotes later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I think Fr Ted just came out at the perfect time. I still find it hilarious and so do a lot of my friends who are my age. People older than me and younger than me wouldn’t quote it as much or get the inside jokes, so it depends on what age you are. There’s a generation who in there younger years the church was a big thing, I was forced to go to mass for a long time after making my communion and was also an alter boy, and then the church was told go fcuk yourself. Fr Ted was the vehicle that brought that into the mainstream without being vulgar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The weird thing about Fr Ted is that it is funnier talking about it than actually watching it....reading quotes from Fr Ted is a bit tiresome tho...

The middle on is Ronnie Drew's daughter in law-not joking. The one the right is Ann Gildea, her brother is Kevin Gildea. She did a documentary on her battle with breast cancer, as well as mastectomy.
    I commend her doing it, but it felt very intrusive at times.

The middle on is Ronnie Drew's daughter in law-not joking. The one the right is Ann Gildea, her brother is Kevin Gildea. She did a documentary on her battle with breast cancer, as well as mastectomy.
    I commend her doing it, but it felt very intrusive at times.

I knew there was someone who I'd forgotten to mention in this thread. He was in the Fr Ted one where they're stuck on a plane, easily the worst episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I hate them so much.
    Just put them into youtube there and... wow. That is some of the worst "comedy" I've seen in years. I genuinely do wonder how some acts like this write those jokes and find them funny, how anyone finds it amusing, and how feckless they must feel when watching even something like one of Foil, Arms and Hog's better sketches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

The wan pretending to be a traveller has to be the worst ever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

mikeysmith wrote: »
    The wan pretending to be a traveller has to be the worst ever

Katherine Lynch?

And yeah, it was God awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Katherine Lynch?

And yeah, it was God awful.

That's her Boss

I knew there was someone who I'd forgotten to mention in this thread. He was in the Fr Ted one where they're stuck on a plane, easily the worst episode.

He's terrible, most definitely-but that episode is darn funny-it's not one of the worst. Not even close.
    mikeysmith wrote: »
    That's her Boss

She's started appearing as a pundit on political shows-including that Ivan Yates tv show. I'm sitting there wondering 'why?'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Anyway I don't get the adulation and constant quoting of Father Ted on this site and others. The first 2 series were funny, when it came out and I was 15, but I thought the 3rd was awful.

Comedy is subjective but somehow you're objectively wrong

Advertisement