Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I've seen a fella a few times on the Dublin circuit that they advertise as some kind of visiting royalty. Hes a small guy, probably 40s, long blondish hair and goatee, wears a suit mostly. Cant think of his name but never have I seen someone think he's so funny, and be so unfunny. He was the worst comedian I have ever seen, and he seems to think he's Stewart Lee.

Kevin Gildea. Awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Billy86 wrote: »
    Just put them into youtube there and... wow. That is some of the worst "comedy" I've seen in years. I genuinely do wonder how some acts like this write those jokes and find them funny, how anyone finds it amusing, and how feckless they must feel when watching even something like one of Foil, Arms and Hog's better sketches.

I just watched their Halloween sketch. Never heard of them before. Going on RTÉ's record I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear they are given a multi series contract

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I came across this guy randomly on YT, fupping hell he's the pits. This appears to date from the 80's but I never heard of him before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

I came across this guy randomly on YT, fupping hell he's the pits. This appears to date from the 80's but I never heard of him before.

Christ, what a wanker. Is there any way of getting in touch with him to tell him how sh1t he is?

Flared wellies? WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Listened to a couple of hours podcasts and they're not bad.

However saw him do his comedy act on TV the other night and either he needs to pay royalties to Michael McIntyre or visa versa.

gargargar wrote: »
    Another tool is Jarlath Regan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I just watched their Halloween sketch. Never heard of them before. Going on RTÉ's record I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear they are given a multi series contract

Can you link me the Halloween sketch please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Billy86 wrote: »
    Just put them into youtube there and... wow. That is some of the worst "comedy" I've seen in years. I genuinely do wonder how some acts like this write those jokes and find them funny, how anyone finds it amusing, and how feckless they must feel when watching even something like one of Foil, Arms and Hog's better sketches.

Have you noticed the sheer number of comments saying "Go on the boys" and "class funny lads" on youtube? Either they're writing the comments themselves or there's a subsection of rural humanity that has no intelligence at all.

Found another GEM. Johnny B! "I'm funny because I'm gay"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

How many vulgar, poor or unfunny Irish comedians are there? I feel that Mrs Brown is responsible for a lot of it. A lot of acts copied that and that's where series like The Walshes, all that Katherine Lynch stuff, Bridget & Eamonn, etc. came out of and Al Porter's act is clearly influenced by O'Carroll too. One could not blame the others for following O'Carroll as O'Carroll is the most successful Irish comedian ever and totally reliant on vulgarity. For some reason, all of Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales find a Dublin man dressed as a foul-mouthed woman funny. Sad but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭gargargar

In the name of god that what girl's think sketch is awful.

• Advertisement

A poor mans Al Porter, great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Watched exactly 27 seconds of that.

Similar shtick to that Cian Twomey fella.

Youtube and social media, in general, is a great platform for people to get their content out there, however, at the same time, it's no real barometer for actual talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

How many vulgar, poor or unfunny Irish comedians are there? I feel that Mrs Brown is responsible for a lot of it. A lot of acts copied that and that's where series like The Walshes, all that Katherine Lynch stuff, Bridget & Eamonn, etc. came out of and Al Porter's act is clearly influenced by O'Carroll too. One could not blame the others for following O'Carroll as O'Carroll is the most successful Irish comedian ever and totally reliant on vulgarity. For some reason, all of Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales find a Dublin man dressed as a foul-mouthed woman funny. Sad but true.

The sheer irony of all this is that Brendan O Carroll robs some amount of material himself. Mrs Brownes Boys even had the audacity to use the Simpsons "which one is the any key" joke. God almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Omackeral wrote: »
    The sheer irony of all this is that Brendan O Carroll robs some amount of material himself. Mrs Brownes Boys even had the audacity to use the Simpsons "which one is the any key" joke. God almighty.

Terrible form to rob jokes, espeically from one of the biggest tv shows ever.

Stealing jokes is a mortal sin among comedians, I hope they blackball him for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

As soon as someone in RTE sees that look forward to seeing him on every RTE-produced TV show to promote his upcoming Christmas Special and 26 part sit com.

There's tonnes of them on Youtube now, I'd like to present my own show where I watch them and get increasingly more angry with each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

I Knew a guys who used to post these kinda videos on his YouTube channel. Any time he got criticized for how unfunny he was he'd tell us all he wasn't trying to be a comedian but a Social commentator so go Figure.

Youtube has this problem now where your getting all these unfunny so called comedians now migrating from Instagram to Youtube and trust me they truly are the pits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

As soon as someone in RTE sees that look forward to seeing him on every RTE-produced TV show to promote his upcoming Christmas Special and 26 part sit com.

Well al slot has been opened so , there’s room for someone with als recycled act

neirbloom wrote: »
    I Knew a guys who used to post these kinda videos on his YouTube channel. Any time he got criticized for how unfunny he was he'd tell us all he wasn't trying to be a comedian but a Social commentator so go Figure.

Youtube has this problem now where your getting all these unfunny so called comedians now migrating from Instagram to Youtube and trust me they truly are the pits.

All those comedians in that video are Jerry Seinfeld compared to the Irish twats.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »

MBB rips off other comedies and will rehash ancient jokes and will make them more vulgar. It also rehashes itself with that entrance by one of them in a costume with a penis-like part in each episode. Will avoid MBB this Christmas for sure. Last Christmas' episode was the worst half hour of Christmas TV I ever saw.

Terrible form to rob jokes, espeically from one of the biggest tv shows ever.

Mrs Brown has become worse and worse as it goes along. The series burst onto the screen back in January 2011 and was then a welcome relief from all the doom and gloom political programmes and bad weather that preceded it. The early series was relatively good but it was clear pretty soon that they had done all they could with the characters. It is clear in the later episodes they are not even trying.

Those Christmas episodes tend to be dire. Worse and worse they are getting. Last year's was the worst so far. It is definitely an example of a series that has overstayed its welcome. It is time to axe this show at this stage but I predict we will be seeing an awful lot more of Mrs Brown and the quality will be slipping all the time.

Looking forward to the episode where Mrs. Brown goes to clown college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Mrs Brown has become worse and worse as it goes along. The series burst onto the screen back in January 2011 and was then a welcome relief from all the doom and gloom political programmes and bad weather that preceded it. The early series was relatively good but it was clear pretty soon that they had done all they could with the characters. It is clear in the later episodes they are not even trying.

Those Christmas episodes tend to be dire. Worse and worse they are getting. Last year's was the worst so far. It is definitely an example of a series that has overstayed its welcome. It is time to axe this show at this stage but I predict we will be seeing an awful lot more of Mrs Brown and the quality will be slipping all the time.

I am lucky-I survived Mrs Browns Boys (I despise it-never even bought anything related to it)-but it's been going on for much longer than 2011. Jeez, it's definitely been doing the rounds on video (VHS tapes, yeah, that long) and plays across the country since at least the 90s. I know people who are seriously defensive of it-something I don't understand. (If you're defending the West Wing, or Mad Men-sure, okay, I understand. But MBB, no, no I don't).
    And he's been recycling the same material since then-like, it's seriously lazy.
    Looking forward to the episode where Mrs. Brown goes to clown college.

Reminds me of how Brendan Grace steals or recycles jokes too. He's got one about 'handle fell of this, fell off of that-I'm afraid to go the toilet' or something-and that's a Rodney Dangerfield original People quote that joke all the time. But Grace ripped it off.

I am lucky-I survived Mrs Browns Boys (I despise it-never even bought anything related to it)-but it's been going on for much longer than 2011. Jeez, it's definitely been doing the rounds on video (VHS tapes, yeah, that long) and plays across the country since at least the 90s. I know people who are seriously defensive of it-something I don't understand. (If you're defending the West Wing, or Mad Men-sure, okay, I understand. But MBB, no, no I don't).
    And he's been recycling the same material since then-like, it's seriously lazy.

Mrs Brown has of course been doing the rounds a lot longer than 2011. The character was introduced via books like The Mammy and that was made into a film in the 1990s. O'Carroll's DVDs/videos of Mrs Brown material contains much of the same content as what ended up on the TV series. How now Brown cow was one of his DVDs.

The first series of Mrs Brown's Boys in the format we know for TV was made sometime in 2010 and shown in 2011. The second was made in 2011 and the third in 2012 and shown in 2012 and 2013 respectively. All were shown around the period Christmas/January/February. Since 2014, there have been specials, one film and some particularly abysmal Christmas episodes.

I feel Mrs Brown and O'Carroll had faded from view for a while by 2010 when it was revived and taken on by TV. Up until then, Mrs Brown had a following but failed to make the mainstream in any meaningful way. By 2010, he was in the right place at the right time. RTE's then recent comedy offerings like Val Falvey TD failed to fill the void left after Killinaskully ended. BBC too clearly saw it filled a void. People fed up with bad economic news, boring political TV and abysmal winter weather took to Mrs Brown's Boys in a big way and as all O'Carroll had to do was rehash stuff from his old DVDs. Suddenly, Mrs Brown's Boys was larger than life and for a time, it was decent enough until it had nowhere else to go with the characters and format.

Christmas specials of comedies have often been poor and they end up copying each other. Mrs Brown falling out of the Christmas tree was a ripoff of Mrs Doyle doing same in Fr Ted. Other Mrs Brown Christmas specials were ripoffs of Killinaskully Christmas episodes. Some of the worst MBB episodes have been the Christmas ones. With people full of wine and in good form, they may be more tolerant that day than other days. I think it is time to wrap this series up.

Another thing is despite its success, it still maintains its cheap, amateur format. It is often full of mistakes and one sees the camera man and all that is passed off as a supposed joke. It gives the whole thing a local school play amateur feel. You'd think they'd do one on location and expand it to include other places. It gets tedious looking at Mrs Brown cursing on the grandfather in the sitting room, advising her boys in the kitchen and meeting the friend in the pub. Because of all that, it gets boring to watch and fails to cover new ground.

neirbloom wrote: »

These people would die on their arses if they were to do live stand up. Social media is not a place for honing comedy, not that any of the gobshytes featured on that video have anything even remotely approaching a talent for comedy.

These people would die on their arses if they were to do live stand up. Social media is not a place for honing comedy, not that any of the gobshytes featured on that video have anything even remotely approaching a talent for comedy.

Sad fact is stuff exactly like this dominates most TV comedy sketch shows. These unfunny individuals would do live standup and have the neck to do so. Desperate drivel has become successful and any smart alec can come along pretending to be a comedian.

2 more unfunny comedians are Lee Matthews and Ritchie Remo, also brutal singers. Drivel like The Farmer Wants A Wife and Hit Da Diff are the most unfunny supposed comedy songs ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Chrongen wrote: »
    Christ, what a wanker. Is there any way of getting in touch with him to tell him how sh1t he is?

Flared wellies? WTF?

That's from the 70s/80s...so I thought 'oh, it was a different era, he's bound to have improved a bit with age, right?'...wrong, I was so wrong.

He's like an Irish Jim Davidson...just, horrible, absolutely horrible. The most racist, dated humour I've seen in a long while.

Advertisement