Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

That's from the 70s/80s...so I thought 'oh, it was a different era, he's bound to have improved a bit with age, right?'...wrong, I was so wrong.

He's like an Irish Jim Davidson...just, horrible, absolutely horrible. The most racist, dated humour I've seen in a long while.

"Irelands favourite comedian"

Modest chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

"Irelands favourite comedian"

Modest chap.

Not as 'modest' as this fella- 'The Worlds Favourite Irish Comedian'.

Actual title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

That's from the 70s/80s...so I thought 'oh, it was a different era, he's bound to have improved a bit with age, right?'...wrong, I was so wrong.

He's like an Irish Jim Davidson...just, horrible, absolutely horrible. The most racist, dated humour I've seen in a long while.

Just completely ripping off Brendan Grace. What are they like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Can't believe Joanne McNally has only been mentioned once in this thread!

She doesn't irritate me as much as the others-since she speaks about lots of stuff, including her anorexia and how she maintains her health.
    She's still new to the scene, so I'm reluctant to put her in the same bracket as others here-I mean, she's no Maeve Higgins.

Higgins basically gave out to Des Bishop, on his podcast, (I don't listen to it) for not helping her out in her own comedy career. The sense of entitlement from this woman is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Found another GEM. Johnny B! "I'm funny because I'm gay"

on behalf of Cork people , I'd like to apologise.

on behalf of Cork people , I'd like to apologise.

You've more than these people to apologise for-now say sorry for Saipan. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I looked her up, abysmal crap. Who is telling these people to do comedy?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Not as 'modest' as this fella- 'The Worlds Favourite Irish Comedian'.

Actual title.

I never heard of this guy either. There seems to be a whole sub genre of Irish cabaret stand ups who peddle their crap to tourists and are better known in the UK and America than they are here.

"Hangin out with my matezzzzzzzzzzzz"

I stopped watching after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

It must say something about me that this is my favourite thread on boards ever.
    Anyway I don't get the adulation and constant quoting of Father Ted on this site and others. The first 2 series were funny, when it came out and I was 15, but I thought the 3rd was awful. If any episode comes on now I have to turn it off because I just find it childish and cringeworthy. I understand I'm in a tiny minority here with these views but does anyone feel the same?
    Oh and I'm sure there'll be 1000 replies to this post now with people saying things like I'll smash your head through a wall etc. Hilarious.

I have to say I am quite the opposite, when it came out first I didnt see what all the fuss was about and thought it was a bit meh and forced, but in recent years and now when I watch it I think its right up there with some of the best stuff out there, an Irish Fawlty Towers if you will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Oh and I'm sure there'll be 1000 replies to this post now with people saying things like I'll smash your head through a wall etc. Hilarious.

Well, I have to say I think that you're a very rude man.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

"Hangin out with my matezzzzzzzzzzzz"

I stopped watching after that.

Look at the only youtube comment underneath the video.

"Somebody kill me"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Higgins basically gave out to Des Bishop, on his podcast, (I don't listen to it) for not helping her out in her own comedy career. The sense of entitlement from this woman is crazy.

Clearly, you didn't listen to the Podcast because that is not what she "gave out to him for". She challenged him because he said he did want to bring her on his tour because he was afraid people would think they were a couple if he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lux23 wrote: »
    Clearly, you didn't listen to the Podcast because that is not what she "gave out to him for". She challenged him because he said he did want to bring her on his tour because he was afraid people would think they were a couple if he did.

It was his way of saying that he didn't want her opening for him.

That's fair enough, it's his tour, he's the headliner, he decides who goes on the bill.

It was his way of saying that he didn't want her opening for him.

That's fair enough, it's his tour, he's the headliner, he decides who goes on the bill.

I think the problem was that he denied saying it at all, and then claimed that if he had said it, which he definitely didn't, he was definitely joking. It was part of a conversation where he was going on about how great he was at promoting the careers of women in comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

You've more than these people to apologise for-now say sorry for Saipan. :p

that you Mick? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Look at the only youtube comment underneath the video.

"Somebody kill me"

:D

Good God she is vapid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Lux23 wrote: »

That's her interpretation. He didn't exactly admit to saying this but said that if he did he must have been joking. TBH in the run up to her bringing this up she was going on about comedy being dominated by "shouty opinionated men" (I lost count of the amount of times she used the phrase shouty men). At one point she claims standup was invented in the 70's (really?). She came across as more more than a little bitter and opinionated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

darkdubh wrote: »
    [/B]

That's her interpretation. He didn't exactly admit to saying this but said that if he did he must have been joking. TBH in the run up to her bringing this up she was going on about comedy being dominated by "shouty opinionated men" (I lost count of the amount of times she used the phrase shouty men). At one point she claims standup was invented in the 70's (really?). She came across as more more than a little bitter and opinionated.

She has lost the plot. She's in full blown feminist/social-justice/victimhood mentality these days. She has a weekly diary report on the RTE website, as a view from New York (she's living over there now). Every week she shoehorns some sort of "cause" into the mix - "I just moved house, and wasn't Christopher Columbus a tyrant, bloody white male grrrr!". It's pretty much the biggest indication that things aren't going well personally when those sort of cards start coming out. This thing with Bishop is no real surprise, but then again that's Bishop's fault for playing the "ally" role.

I thought she was great in Naked Camera, very funny, she seems to do quite well in sketches and stuff like that. I don't think she's ever going to be a great stand-up comedian, but I think she could do a decent job as a comedic actor, although it seems she's going to be her own worst enemy in terms of genuinely achieving that at this point.

• Advertisement

darkdubh wrote: »
    [/B]

She was right about comedy being dominated by shouty men bounding around the stage, shouting their opinions. It's hard for anyone (male or female) who doesn't have that sort of overt confidence and presence to forge a career in stand-up comedy. Nowhere is that more true than on the Irish stand-up scene. It was unfortunate that Des Bishop responded by getting so defensive and, well, shouty.

Also, she wasn't wrong that stand-up, as we know it today, originated in the 1970s ('60s if you include America). Before that, it was all variety acts and witty monologues in music halls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Found another GEM. Johnny B! "I'm funny because I'm gay"

He's funny in his own mind and that's all that matters :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

RayM wrote: »
    She was right about comedy being dominated by shouty men bounding around the stage, shouting their opinions. It's hard for anyone (male or female) who doesn't have that sort of overt confidence and presence to forge a career in stand-up comedy. Nowhere is that more true than on the Irish stand-up scene. It was unfortunate that Des Bishop responded by getting so defensive and, well, shouty.

Also, she wasn't wrong that stand-up, as we know it today, originated in the 1970s ('60s if you include America). Before that, it was all variety acts and witty monologues in music halls.

Eh, I didn't think he was being shouty at all, he seemed genuinely baffled by her allegation, of course he was going to challenge what she was saying as is his right.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Al Foran

mada82 wrote: »
    Al Foran

A one trick pony who does really poor impressions, his George Hook take off is diabolical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

mada82 wrote: »
    Al Foran

Its offensive to even the unfunniest comedian to have him in here??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Any examples of his talents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Any examples of his talents?

Do your own impression of McGregor, Pacino or Hook. It will be better than his.
    His De Niro is decent, but flogged to death at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Absolutely DIRE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

Actually, so much time and effort could be spared if the first word in the thread title was changed to ' Funny '.

Advertisement