Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

mattser wrote: »
    Actually, so much time and effort could be spared if the first word in the thread title was changed to ' Funny '.

It wouldn't get past the thread title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Did I mention this guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

That's one of the shocking things, for many tbh-how bad Morgan really was. I remember Pat Kenny saying 'one of RTE's greatest missteps' was not nurturing Morgan's talent. But tbh, they gave him a lot of chances. I mean, Brendan Grace was able to make it in comedy, and be successful, whereas Morgan was given a ton of chances by RTe (often on the Late Late or Kenny Live) and wasn't. And no, I'm not a fan of Grace. If you go back and watch his material-especially his standups or 'one off's' shows-they were pretty awful. His contemporaries-people like Michael Redmond, were actually garnering attention in the UK. Dermot didn't really get any attention until Fr Ted. But that was not his material. It would be interesting to see if he could have maintained that momentum on his own

Morgan was a good comedic actor but not a good comedian. His own material was quite weak and could be nasty and sexist in tone. Gerry Stembridge was the main creator of "Scrap Saturday".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Look at the only youtube comment underneath the video.

"Somebody kill me"

:D

Also '****ing dire'.
    Lux23 wrote: »
    Clearly, you didn't listen to the Podcast because that is not what she "gave out to him for". She challenged him because he said he did want to bring her on his tour because he was afraid people would think they were a couple if he did.

Tbf, he took it down-and has reuploaded it, so many people hadn't. I don't listen to Bishop unless I really have to-so I hadn't seen it-the article I hadn't seen, the podcast I didn't hear.
    When I read it, I was like, what? But Maeve and Des...ugh, I'm so disappointed in what they have become. I was never a major fan of Des, but he used to have my respect-not anymore. And Maeve I was rooting for. :(
    ligerdub wrote: »
    She has lost the plot. She's in full blown feminist/social-justice/victimhood mentality these days. She has a weekly diary report on the RTE website, as a view from New York (she's living over there now). Every week she shoehorns some sort of "cause" into the mix - "I just moved house, and wasn't Christopher Columbus a tyrant, bloody white male grrrr!". It's pretty much the biggest indication that things aren't going well personally when those sort of cards start coming out. This thing with Bishop is no real surprise, but then again that's Bishop's fault for playing the "ally" role.

I thought she was great in Naked Camera, very funny, she seems to do quite well in sketches and stuff like that. I don't think she's ever going to be a great stand-up comedian, but I think she could do a decent job as a comedic actor, although it seems she's going to be her own worst enemy in terms of genuinely achieving that at this point.

God, she's really drank the Kool Aid. She was good in Naked Camera, and also in the Modest adventures of David O'Doherty series-the one where he pursued stuff like trying to get a number 27 hit single. (Surprisingly fun series).
    Like-those are shows where 'guys' gave her a leg up in her career-is that what she was expecting, more of the same? And when has she given anyone a help in her career? (Only one I can think of was her helping her sister in 'Fancy Vittles').
    She appeared in Amy Schumer's show, once, and didn't get invited back again-does that mean she should be giving Schumer grief too? No, of course not-and of course she wouldn't-despite the fact Amy steals material, possibly even from her, and one of her writers is accused of some heinous crap too.
    But if it's not happening for her-who's to blame? Her or her gender? Or Des?

Look at the only youtube comment underneath the video.

"Somebody kill me"

:D

That was me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Also '****ing dire'.

Tbf, he took it down-and has reuploaded it, so many people hadn't. I don't listen to Bishop unless I really have to-so I hadn't seen it-the article I hadn't seen, the podcast I didn't hear.
    When I read it, I was like, what? But Maeve and Des...ugh, I'm so disappointed in what they have become. I was never a major fan of Des, but he used to have my respect-not anymore. And Maeve I was rooting for. :(

God, she's really drank the Kool Aid. She was good in Naked Camera, and also in the Modest adventures of David O'Doherty series-the one where he pursued stuff like trying to get a number 27 hit single. (Surprisingly fun series).
    Like-those are shows where 'guys' gave her a leg up in her career-is that what she was expecting, more of the same? And when has she given anyone a help in her career? (Only one I can think of was her helping her sister in 'Fancy Vittles').
    She appeared in Amy Schumer's show, once, and didn't get invited back again-does that mean she should be giving Schumer grief too? No, of course not-and of course she wouldn't-despite the fact Amy steals material, possibly even from her, and one of her writers is accused of some heinous crap too.
    But if it's not happening for her-who's to blame? Her or her gender? Or Des?

I dont think she s suggesting that everybody should help her out she called Des Bishop out in a particular incident between them at a particular time which was clearly sexist. Des Bishop claims that he cant remember it happening 'but if it did say it' he apologises. If you listen to the podcast Im guessing you ll come away pretty sure that he did say it [but Ill leave you to decide] For me you don t have to be Columbo to figure it out he doth protest too much and while she comes across as unfazed and self sure that it did happen he gets emotional and defensive between bouts of fawning and squirming . To be honest in my opinion he should have just owned up and said it was a stupid thing to say and where ever his head was then he hoped he d matured a bit by now.

All that surmising about giving grief to Amy Schumer and her looking to blame people for 'it not happening for her' would be some sort of fantasy you re having that you want to inform us about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Aidan Bishop is antifunny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Actually why hasn't Des Bishop been given his own chat show on RTE yet? It's going to happen sooner or later.

I remember Des' show years ago where some absolute mouthbreather was asking Des why HE was bombing Iraq.

Actually why hasn't Des Bishop been given his own chat show on RTE yet? It's going to happen sooner or later.

He had a few... Patronising bull****

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Des was in USA for a few years in childhood and comes from a very privileged upbringing going to the top schools in Ireland yet he still pretends he has a New Yawk accent. He's just insufferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

It has to be an affectation. He came to Ireland at 14 yet still sounds fully New York. I've known people that have come to Ireland for different countries at that age and they sound 100% Irish.

It has to be an affectation. He came to Ireland at 14 yet still sounds fully New York. I've known people that have come to Ireland for different countries at that age and they sound 100% Irish.

The accent isn't the problem though

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Chrongen wrote: »
    Absolutely DIRE.

He thinks Ghandi was Chinese? Ho Lee Phuc!

Dannyriver wrote: »
    I dont think she s suggesting that everybody should help her out she called Des Bishop out in a particular incident between them at a particular time which was clearly sexist. Des Bishop claims that he cant remember it happening 'but if it did say it' he apologises. If you listen to the podcast Im guessing you ll come away pretty sure that he did say it [but Ill leave you to decide] For me you don t have to be Columbo to figure it out he doth protest too much and while she comes across as unfazed and self sure that it did happen he gets emotional and defensive between bouts of fawning and squirming . To be honest in my opinion he should have just owned up and said it was a stupid thing to say and where ever his head was then he hoped he d matured a bit by now.

All that surmising about giving grief to Amy Schumer and her looking to blame people for 'it not happening for her' would be some sort of fantasy you re having that you want to inform us about.

But that's assuming it did happen-I cannot say with certainty he didn't say it, no more than you can say he did. We weren't there. They were.
    It's he said, she said, and one of the rare occassions I feel 'he said, she said' is applicable.

Well, it's not fantasy-she's said similar recently about Newstalk, that they don't have her on because of 'muh vagina', it's on her twitter.
    So it's not some fantasy-it's carefully considered research.

Even makes assumptions like this.
    https://twitter.com/maevehiggins/status/933377870407315456

He had a few... Patronising bull****

I think that's why he went on Dancing with the Stars, tbh.

Didn't he have some show on RTE recently-it was totally a chatshow, a bad one too.

I think that's why he went on Dancing with the Stars, tbh.

Didn't he have some show on RTE recently-it was totally a chatshow, a bad one too.
    Ya know, I reckon des's ego was severely dented by that show(dancing show)

Ya know, I reckon des's ego was severely dented by that show(dancing show)

Possibly, probably...I mean, he lost to 'Dancing Dessie' after all. He tried to be gracious in defeat, but you know the guy was in it to win it.
    Wonder if he'll try his luck on the UK version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,240 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Joe prim wrote: »
    He thinks Ghandi was Chinese? Ho Lee Phuc!

That fella might have been. But Gandhi was Indian.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

But that's assuming it did happen-I cannot say with certainty he didn't say it, no more than you can say he did. We weren't there. They were.
    It's he said, she said, and one of the rare occassions I feel 'he said, she said' is applicable.

Well, it's not fantasy-she's said similar recently about Newstalk, that they don't have her on because of 'muh vagina', it's on her twitter.

Yes, that tweet was featured in another thread here a while back.

https://twitter.com/maevehiggins/status/907688632068308993

• Advertisement

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Her comments about Des Bishop in 2012 are revealing. I'd say he rejected her and that's the source of her ire.

That's seriously interesting to read...

Wonder if her book sold? Vogue and Maia Dunphy's books were nominated in the 'most popular' category-but both of them sold less than a parish newsletter.
    Her comments about Des Bishop in 2012 are revealing. I'd say he rejected her and that's the source of her ire.

It's intriguing, for sure. Like, she's not a bad looking girl.
    But she must have some sense of insecurity. We know from folks like Richard Pryor and Robin Williams that that comes with the job. Like, comedy is a lonely gig, hard to meet people. So maybe she resents how 'easy' Des has had it-comparatively. I know other comics,straight males, have spoken about how hard they find it to meet ladies.

So u think she made it up yeah and that s why Des rather than being offended by the suggestion and tell her to go **** herself...said instead 'look Meave I cant remember saying that I really cant but if I did well etc etc.... There s a place in police interrogation with the Gardai if you apply they re looking for smart lads with bull**** radars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

That's seriously interesting to read...

Wonder if her book sold? Vogue and Maia Dunphy's books were nominated in the 'most popular' category-but both of them sold less than a parish newsletter.

It's intriguing, for sure. Like, she's not a bad looking girl.
    But she must have some sense of insecurity. We know from folks like Richard Pryor and Robin Williams that that comes with the job. Like, comedy is a lonely gig, hard to meet people. So maybe she resents how 'easy' Des has had it-comparatively. I know other comics,straight males, have spoken about how hard they find it to meet ladies.

Hmmm...I think she’s rank, particularly with such a sky high ego and zero talent.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Dannyriver wrote: »
    So u think she made it up yeah and that s why Des rather than being offended by the suggestion and tell her to go **** herself...said instead 'look Meave I cant remember saying that I really cant but if I did well etc etc.... There s a place in police interrogation with the Gardai if you apply they re looking for smart lads with bull**** radars.

What's eating you? Are you actually Meave Higgins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Haven't read all the posts but + 1 on Dave Allen.

Check out the story below from 5.15 minutes,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u6XXOELs_s

Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

sightband wrote: »
    Hmmm...I think she’s rank, particularly with such a sky high ego and zero talent.

Years ago seen her die on her arse at midweek thinly populated comedy nights in Ha Penny and Anseo. She would be aghast people wouldnt laugh at her and her "big" name, argue with the audience and storm off stage like a petulent 3 year old to then whinge about the audience at side of stage!. Incredibly large inflated ego.

Take that "stalker" story with huge pinch of salt.

• Advertisement

What's eating you? Are you actually Meave Higgins?

No I'm just calling nonsense, someone sent me a link to the podcast people are talking about and I listened to it and what I said reflected my views on it. Just because Im not sticking the boot in to her means I am her yeah?

Advertisement