Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Very good.

Dave Allen was always amazing in how he could have atheists and theists laughing at the same thing.

Fr Ted accomplished much of the same thing, and too many comedians often miss that magic mix. They go too mean, or too soft. I'm lucky, I can laugh at anything, even the dark **** that many of my non-believing friends are like 'whoa, no...no, I can't laugh at that, it's too dark'. But too many comedians, they miss that mark-even Ricky Gervais can often screw it up-he either gets it right or totally wrong.
    Dannyriver wrote: »
    So u think she made it up yeah and that s why Des rather than being offended by the suggestion and tell her to go **** herself...said instead 'look Meave I cant remember saying that I really cant but if I did well etc etc.... There s a place in police interrogation with the Gardai if you apply they re looking for smart lads with bull**** radars.

For the luv of criminy...it's 'Maeve' for one thing, and also, there's holes in the story. He had her on at another show, in Thurles, before that...so her 'claim' comes down to 'oh, I get jokes...and you weren't joking', so that's what she accuses Des of, of making a joke that she didn't 'get'.
    She then becomes condescending...like, she mentions Des comforting her after a meeting with Ivan Yates, and how she's 'super smart'...and her 'uh hum's'.
    Way to assume my gender...:rolleyes:...and cheers, I'll send them my CV, my radar was going crazy listening to the podcast. She literally pulled the Donald Trump 'I'm super smart' comment.
    Des is a bad comedian, if he made a joke and she didn't get it, then that's Des's usual comedy routine. His jokes fall flat.
    No I'm just calling nonsense, someone sent me a link to the podcast people are talking about and I listened to it and what I said reflected my views on it. Just because Im not sticking the boot in to her means I am her yeah?

I wonder what her reaction was when Trump won-the podcast was from last year, and I'm intrigued-since she outed herself as a Clinton supporter in the podcast.
    I found it hilarious, in retrospect, how they undermined Jill Stein.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Dave Allen was always amazing in how he could have atheists and theists laughing at the same thing.

Fr Ted accomplished much of the same thing, and too many comedians often miss that magic mix. They go too mean, or too soft. I'm lucky, I can laugh at anything, even the dark **** that many of my non-believing friends are like 'whoa, no...no, I can't laugh at that, it's too dark'. But too many comedians, they miss that mark-even Ricky Gervais can often screw it up-he either gets it right or totally wrong.

For the luv of criminy...it's 'Maeve' for one thing, and also, there's holes in the story. He had her on at another show, in Thurles, before that...so her 'claim' comes down to 'oh, I get jokes...and you weren't joking', so that's what she accuses Des of, of making a joke that she didn't 'get'.
    She then becomes condescending...like, she mentions Des comforting her after a meeting with Ivan Yates, and how she's 'super smart'...and her 'uh hum's'.
    Way to assume my gender...:rolleyes:...and cheers, I'll send them my CV, my radar was going crazy listening to the podcast. She literally pulled the Donald Trump 'I'm super smart' comment.
    Des is a bad comedian, if he made a joke and she didn't get it, then that's Des's usual comedy routine. His jokes fall flat.

I wonder what her reaction was when Trump won-the podcast was from last year, and I'm intrigued-since she outed herself as a Clinton supporter in the podcast.
    I found it hilarious, in retrospect, how they undermined Jill Stein.

It's 'There are' holes not 'there is' 'is' denotes singular....I still stand over my assertion that if Des felt he was being accused of doing something untoward he would have been assertive/angry in his response. He wasn't, he was evasive and apologetic which is not the behaviour of someone who is being accused unfairly.

As for Trump...Id say she was horrified when he won just like every other Clinton supporter. I don't really understand what you are getting at with this bit.

As for Jill Stein many reluctantly voted for Clinton ahead of Stein in order to stop Trump when Sanders made the same decision and advised his supporters to do similar. Also women particularly feminists wanted to have a woman president because it has never happened before, and Hillary was a better bet than Jill Stein, which is fairly reasonable I'm sure you'll agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭pgj2015

get over the whole des maeve thing, lets get back to the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Both are terrible.

Who were the two gimps that were presenting the toy show ads from a couch? Two young lads that should never be on television. Not comedians but they were trying to be funny.

RTE at it's dirt worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was back home for the weekend, saw a bit of the Alison Spittle show, I saw bit as I had to turn it off. It's beyond bad. Truly awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

One thing for sure is we will be browned off this Christmas with lots of unfunny Irish comedy of the O'Carroll variety. It is seldom Mrs Brown is off our screens and at Christmas it seems to be an overdose of both new and old Christmas specials. If one really has nothing better to do, one could go watching each Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas special in the order 2012 to 2017 and noting how increasingly worse they get. They are cheaply and unprofessionally made and despite its success, the concept has not changed.

MBB tells the story of modern Irish TV comedy in general. The TV hit onto something that becomes mildly amusing and keeps redoing it over and over until it becomes tired, boring and pointless. Mrs Brown now is 100% unfunny because it failed to innovate and cover new ground. Without watching it, one can predict what the new episodes will be: Mrs Brown advising her boys in the kitchen, Mrs Brown meeting the friend in the pub and Mrs Brown giving out about the grandfather in the sitting room. Plenty smutty jokes and the f word thrown in. The name's off, F off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Both are terrible.

Who were the two gimps that were presenting the toy show ads from a couch? Two young lads that should never be on television. Not comedians but they were trying to be funny.

RTE at it's dirt worst.

Moone Boy?

Nah def not Moone Boy...

Was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

Nah def not Moone Boy...

Was it?

Yep it was the two boys from Moone Boy

Oh well...they were pretty bad. I couldn't watch for more than three seconds. I loved Moone Boy, but I'm quite confident the two kids didn't write it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Oh well...they were pretty bad. I couldn't watch for more than three seconds. I loved Moone Boy, but I'm quite confident the two kids didn't write it.

I feel they were doing a sendup of these annoying D4 type kids on the toy show. Pretty good imitations of them from 2 guys from Cavan and Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

razorblunt wrote: »
    I was back home for the weekend, saw a bit of the Alison Spittle show, I saw bit as I had to turn it off. It's beyond bad. Truly awful.

Oh yeah, saw the ad for that a while back and I cringed like I never cringed before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭George White

I recognised David Rawle/Martin, but took me a while to realise that the other lad was Padraig.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Take that "stalker" story with huge pinch of salt.

This seems to be a regular occurrence for poor Maeve. Men cant seem to control themselves around her presence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

neirbloom wrote: »
    This seems to be a regular occurrence for poor Maeve. Men cant seem to control themselves around her presence.

"I was like" and "Then like" he was "Like".

STFU!

and also she looks like this guy (who IS funny)

435244.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Don't find that Dara bloke funny at all, but I don't mind him that much. The constant "ahhhhhhh, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ahhhhhhhhhhhh, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh" thing he does would wreck your head.

Delivers punchline-"EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

I think it's a defence mechanism he has in case his joke doesn't get over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Thanks for inspiring me to dig this out
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/local.theonion.com/construction-worker-still-hasnt-given-up-on-true-love-1819569202/amp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭George White

Delivers punchline-"EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

I think it's a defence mechanism he has in case his joke doesn't get over.

It is annoying but I do it myself. I think it's a Bray-ism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I'll just leave this here. :D

• Advertisement

It is annoying but I do it myself. I think it's a Bray-ism.

My friends wife is from Bray and never noticed it on her ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh sh*t now I'm doing it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

Who do you people actually find funny? Someone in Saoirse Ronan thread mentioned SNL 'not being funny' because it's 'too American', I'm guessing unless it's 1970's and 80's British comedy, it is poxy to you lot.

21Savage wrote: »
    Who do you people actually find funny? Someone in Saoirse Ronan thread mentioned SNL 'not being funny' because it's 'too American', I'm guessing unless it's 1970's and 80's British comedy, it is poxy to you lot.

There is not one Irish comic I'd go to see now. I used to like Dylan Moran but I'm tired of his schtick now. I love Louis CK, but there are very few stand ups I would rate nowadays, but that's just me, each to their own!

It's 'There are' holes not 'there is' 'is' denotes singular....I still stand over my assertion that if Des felt he was being accused of doing something untoward he would have been assertive/angry in his response. He wasn't, he was evasive and apologetic which is not the behaviour of someone who is being accused unfairly.

As for Trump...Id say she was horrified when he won just like every other Clinton supporter. I don't really understand what you are getting at with this bit.

As for Jill Stein many reluctantly voted for Clinton ahead of Stein in order to stop Trump when Sanders made the same decision and advised his supporters to do similar. Also women particularly feminists wanted to have a woman president because it has never happened before, and Hillary was a better bet than Jill Stein, which is fairly reasonable I'm sure you'll agree.

He was assertive and angry, but had to hold back because he still wanted to do the interview for the podcast. And tbh, it showed how inexperienced he is as an interviewer. They went on for a good 30-40 minutes. He made a joke, it bombed, Maeve took it as serious. (And Des often bombs). As the interview went on, he was still deeply annoyed by her assertions. She mentions she had to speak to him after a bad Ivan Yates interview, even having a crush on him in another article someone posted above. (One could argue it felt like a personal betrayal, that she didn't go to him and ask him about it before this.)
    I can see how it couple be misinterpreted because I've had the experience of someone thinking a joke I said was serious-it's not down to intelligence, a deadpan joke (which bombs) is down to a bad comic.

The Jill Stein thing was an observation.
    She mentioned it. I observed.

I can't keep harping on about this all the time-it's too banal. (cheers for the correction). We're just clogging up boards now, so if you want continue discussing it, feel free to pm me, it's grand.

21Savage wrote: »

Wait...there's a Saoirse Ronan thread? What?
    Seriously?
    Now that's funny.

I like SNL, I don't know what you're getting at...or what you're adding to the discussion.
    There is not one Irish comic I'd go to see now. I used to like Dylan Moran but I'm tired of his schtick now. I love Louis CK, but there are very few stand ups I would rate nowadays, but that's just me, each to their own!

It's this 'drunk guy at the bar who starts being philosophical' schtick that Dylan does that means I can't watch a full hour of his routine. I can watch ten minutes, not a full show. I won't deny his talent, it's just not my schtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

He was assertive and angry, but had to hold back because he still wanted to do the interview for the podcast. And tbh, it showed how inexperienced he is as an interviewer. They went on for a good 30-40 minutes. He made a joke, it bombed, Maeve took it as serious. (And Des often bombs). As the interview went on, he was still deeply annoyed by her assertions. She mentions she had to speak to him after a bad Ivan Yates interview, even having a crush on him in another article someone posted above. (One could argue it felt like a personal betrayal, that she didn't go to him and ask him about it before this.)
    I can see how it couple be misinterpreted because I've had the experience of someone thinking a joke I said was serious-it's not down to intelligence, a deadpan joke (which bombs) is down to a bad comic.

The Jill Stein thing was an observation.
    She mentioned it. I observed.

I can't keep harping on about this all the time-it's too banal. (cheers for the correction). We're just clogging up boards now, so if you want continue discussing it, feel free to pm me, it's grand.

Naw you're grand, I 've made my point and feel I 've fought the good fight on behalf of someone suffering a communal hatchet job based less on reality and more on spurious facts that are grounded in conjecture. I'm not here to change opinions which are entrenched in a person's worldview [in this case attitude towards gender] It would be wildly optimistic to expect to but thanks for indulging me none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I see the comments had to be disabled. :D

I don't think anyone is buying that story Maeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

I see the comments had to be disabled. :D

I don't think anyone is buying that story Maeve.

Like Desperate Dan in a cheap wig. That gargantuan jaw and chin!.
    Crack granite with it.

Cat calls my balls.
    Unless she lives very close to Stevie Wonder in New York.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

Like Desperate Dan in a cheap wig. That gargantuan chin!.
    Crack granite with it.

Cat calls my balls.
    Unless she lives very close to Stevie Wonder in New York.

Yeah cos only supermodels get catcalls :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Both are terrible.

RTE at it's dirt worst.

Ah, leave them alone. They're from 'Moone Boy' and were really great in that

Advertisement