Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Like Desperate Dan in a cheap wig. That gargantuan jaw and chin!.
    Crack granite with it.

Cat calls my balls.
    Unless she lives very close to Stevie Wonder in New York.

I think this thread us about comedy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

optogirl wrote: »
    Yeah cos only supermodels get catcalls :rolleyes:

Well you'd want to be in a bad state of desperation to catcall that travesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Well you'd want to be in a bad state of desperation to catcall that travesty.

Well I think you would want to be in a bad state of desperation to catcall. What is so awful about Maeve? Seriously- such a rotten attitude slagging her off because you don't fancy her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Ah... I remember when after hours was the place for saying whatever you liked. No more it seems. :rolleyes:

There's too many unfunny Irish comedians I don't know where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Well I think you would want to be in a bad state of desperation to catcall. What is so awful about Maeve? Seriously- such a rotten attitude slagging her off because you don't fancy her?

Maeve has so slagged audience members too in the Ha'Penny inn. Seen it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

I understand that ugly women need loving too but it's a bit of a stretch to imagine it's a problem for her..of course much like that other abomination,Una Mullally she wants people to think all men are perverts so she can ride a feminist ticket amongst fellow ugly-wugglies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Birneybau wrote: »
    Ah, leave them alone. They're from 'Moone Boy' and were really great in that

Didn't realise it was them. Thought it was the two X Factor twats for some reason.

Moone Boy is great. Was there ever a fourth series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Like Desperate Dan in a cheap wig. That gargantuan jaw and chin!.
    Crack granite with it.

Cat calls my balls.
    Unless she lives very close to Stevie Wonder in New York.

The 'dirty blonde' hair do is draining her pale skin, but there's no need to get personal (Yeah, I know I sound a bit hypocritical, but hair dying can be fixed-I think every body has had a bad hair style. at some point). Comedy isn't about looks-otherwise the majority of the male comics out there wouldn't be getting any work.
    I'm commenting on her material, and her material, for the most part. If you want to criticise what she says, fine, but personal jibes only reflect badly on the people saying them. (I know she's admitted to slagging off comedians material-or audiences. That reflects badly on her, too, tbh).

Yeah, I don't get it either. I'm focusing on her material, and the things she says or does-not her Dna.
    She used to be really talented, as a comic-able to get the dark and surreal out there. I remember much of her material was the awkward Irish girl with a mix of mad observations. Her work in Naked Camera showed serious improvisation skills that a seasoned comic would envy.

But now...wow, it's like, where's the creative spark? It's just abandoned her or something. She should be doing her best work now, not her worst.
    IS that something that happens with Irish comics, a lot? They burn out very quickly.Only a few I can think of that have stayed consistent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Wasn't Dil whatsherface doing standup at one point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

darkdubh wrote: »

I apologise

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I apologise

You'd need more than alcohol to endure that bunch. Only consolation is I could barely make out what Dil is saying with the dodgy sound.

darkdubh wrote: »

Yep, it's on her CV too...ugh.

The alcohol free show served no alcohol at all...how traumatic. Not even a drunk laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Yeah, I don't get it either. I'm focusing on her material, and the things she says or does-not her Dna.
    She used to be really talented, as a comic-able to get the dark and surreal out there. I remember much of her material was the awkward Irish girl with a mix of mad observations. Her work in Naked Camera showed serious improvisation skills that a seasoned comic would envy.

But now...wow, it's like, where's the creative spark? It's just abandoned her or something. She should be doing her best work now, not her worst.
    IS that something that happens with Irish comics, a lot? They burn out very quickly.Only a few I can think of that have stayed consistent.

It's a couple of years since I last saw her doing stand-up in Dublin, so I've no idea whether she's lost her creative spark, but she was brilliant whenever I saw her. As you say, very surreal and sometimes dark observations, delivered in an innocent, whimsical tone. Accompanied by the kind of long, awkward pauses that would make even Stewart Lee uncomfortable. I think comedians like that don't really do very well on chat shows or panel shows. They have to be seen on stage to be fully appreciated. Although as we've seen on this thread, there are still some misogynistic dinosaurs out there, who will never respect the work of any female comedian, unless she makes them hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

RayM wrote: »
    It's a couple of years since I last saw her doing stand-up in Dublin, so I've no idea whether she's lost her creative spark, but she was brilliant whenever I saw her. As you say, very surreal and sometimes dark observations, delivered in an innocent, whimsical tone. Accompanied by the kind of long, awkward pauses that would make even Stewart Lee uncomfortable. I think comedians like that don't really do very well on chat shows or panel shows. They have to be seen on stage to be fully appreciated. Although as we've seen on this thread, there are still some misogynistic dinosaurs out there, who will never respect the work of any female comedian, unless she makes them hard.

Yawn your virtue signalling gimmick is getting tiring, maybe people don't think some of them are funny

Yawn your virtue signalling gimmick is getting tiring, maybe people don't think some of them are funny

Not as tiring as the term "virtue signalling".

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I apologise

The guy telling the prison anecdote was the the only one who came even close to being funny (I did chuckle), the rest were painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I used to enjoy maeve Higgins on the ray darcy show, back when it was good on today fm during the boom! I also saw her in vicar st supporting Rob Delaney and she was excellent.(the room was full and the bar was empty for her set) My sister had seen her the year before and said she was horrendous...just talking about make up and sh1t...

I also enjoy seeing Eleonor tiernan, and the I saw the writer aoife Dooley in the in the international recently and love it..

Comedy is market driven not gender driven...if someone get's laughs they will do well, if they sh1te on about gender discrimination then perhaps the lecture circuit is more appropriate

You can't call someone a misogynistic dinosaur because he thinks Maeve Higgins isn't funny. Maybe she's just not very good?

The guy telling the prison anecdote was the the only one who came even close to being funny (I did chuckle), the rest were painful.

The only jokes I could make out were all stolen from someone else. They have no shame.

You can't call someone a misogynistic dinosaur because he thinks Maeve Higgins isn't funny. Maybe she's just not very good?

You can when they're more interested in commenting on her physical appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I don't think she's funny but I couldn't care less about how she looks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I like the Tommy Tiernan interviews on RTE.
    The one with the psychiatrist was good, funny but serious at the same time.

diomed wrote: »
    I like the Tommy Tiernan interviews on RTE.
    The one with the psychiatrist was good, funny but serious at the same time.

That was an excellent series. I hope it returns. I thought the one where he got AP McCoy to ride him around the stage was the best. You wouldn't get Ryan Tubridy doing that.

mccoy.PNG?mtime=20170203093408

Neither do I.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

RayM wrote: »
    You can when they're more interested in commenting on her physical appearance.
    Neither do I.

The personal attack on Maeve's appearance has very little to do with misogyny or not fancying her, it has all to do with her persistent delusional claims that men can not contain themselves around her, that she is stalked and that men find her irresistible. At best, she could only hope that men in some way don't find her having a face like a blind coblers thumb, which she has. that is why her appearance is being commented upon, because I don't believe any of this happens and I certainly don't believe that piece from her book about the stalker and the garda, it's not funny either, she sounds like a f**kin nutter to be honest.

She's also a crap comedian.

Didn't realise it was them. Thought it was the two X Factor twats for some reason.

Moone Boy is great. Was there ever a fourth series?

Deirdre O'Kane is gonna be in Strictly...so no.
    I used to enjoy maeve Higgins on the ray darcy show, back when it was good on today fm during the boom! I also saw her in vicar st supporting Rob Delaney and she was excellent.(the room was full and the bar was empty for her set) My sister had seen her the year before and said she was horrendous...just talking about make up and sh1t...

I also enjoy seeing Eleonor tiernan, and the I saw the writer aoife Dooley in the in the international recently and love it..

Comedy is market driven not gender driven...if someone get's laughs they will do well, if they sh1te on about gender discrimination then perhaps the lecture circuit is more appropriate

She was one of those really funny comics that I actually looked forward to on TV-had a few dark routines about buying cats, then drowing them, as well as her sister's heart condition being the reason she got into comedy-'When you're funny, you distract your your parents from your sister-she's always getting attention, just cos she's turning blue', then followed up with 'I miss her...but I'm going home at the weekend, so...' The joke implied her sister was dead. Okay, it was really dark...but she did it so well, it was deft and skilled.
    Now, she's not.

Eleanor is another one who can be very good as well-she gets short shrift, at times, cos she's Tommy's cousin. But I've enjoyed her stuff-much better than some other comics. She grew on me, worked on her material for one. Doesn't use the 'shouty man' persona like her cuz which is tired schtick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Bernard O'Shea is not a particularly funny comedian, maybe he should stick more to acting or similar

imme wrote: »
    Bernard O'Shea is not a particularly funny comedian, maybe he should stick more to acting or similar

He's also doing dancing with the stars-so he's given up in my eyes.

How long till Bressie is on Dancing with the Desperate Attention Seekers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The thing about unfunny Irish comedians is there are so many of them. Over the last few years, there is a never ending stream of poor comedy programmes shown weeknights on RTE 2. Some feature wellknown comedians and some are from newcomers but NONE are funny. Stuff like The Walshes, Wagon's Den, Bridget and Eamon, Damo and Ivor and The School are some of the more famous examples. On top of that you have the even worse Irish Pictorial Weekly, an overdose of Oliver Callan (ok the first or second time but unfunny in overdoses), and an even bigger overdose of (increasingly poorer) episodes of Mrs Brown's Boys. The screens are flooded with poor comedy/comedians.

Advertisement