Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,569 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The thing about unfunny Irish comedians is there are so many of them. Over the last few years, there is a never ending stream of poor comedy programmes shown weeknights on RTE 2. Some feature wellknown comedians and some are from newcomers but NONE are funny. Stuff like The Walshes, Wagon's Den, Bridget and Eamon, Damo and Ivor and The School are some of the more famous examples. On top of that you have the even worse Irish Pictorial Weekly, an overdose of Oliver Callan (ok the first or second time but unfunny in overdoses), and an even bigger overdose of (increasingly poorer) episodes of Mrs Brown's Boys. The screens are flooded with poor comedy/comedians.

Irish Pictorial Weekly was quite good, some sketches were better than others but far better than most of what you posted. Season 1 of Bridget And Eamon wasn't bad either, season 2 was pretty ****e though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

The thing about unfunny Irish comedians is there are so many of them. Over the last few years, there is a never ending stream of poor comedy programmes shown weeknights on RTE 2. Some feature wellknown comedians and some are from newcomers but NONE are funny. Stuff like The Walshes, Wagon's Den, Bridget and Eamon, Damo and Ivor and The School are some of the more famous examples. On top of that you have the even worse Irish Pictorial Weekly, an overdose of Oliver Callan (ok the first or second time but unfunny in overdoses), and an even bigger overdose of (increasingly poorer) episodes of Mrs Brown's Boys. The screens are flooded with poor comedy/comedians.

The Walshes was funny. But it was more BBC than RTE. And Mrs Brown's Boys, like it or not, is a show that a lot of people find extremely funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Has Dermot Whelan been mentioned, maybe he & Dave have their own thread?

Didn't he mention something about Bernard O Shea the other day on the radio that when he'd heard BOShea is on Dancing with the Plebs, he said that once when he went to his stage room that he knocked on his door & found him standing there starkers!! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

And hands up who remembers these guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU9vTA-j6us

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

dieselbug wrote: »
    And hands up who remembers these guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU9vTA-j6us
    I always thought that was one of the better Irish comedy offerings. Pisses all over the current RTE comedy output anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Has Dermot Whelan been mentioned, maybe he & Dave have their own thread?

Didn't he mention something about Bernard O Shea the other day on the radio that when he'd heard BOShea is on Dancing with the Plebs, he said that once when he went to his stage room that he knocked on his door & found him standing there starkers!! :o

Dermot Whelan was the least funny regular guest on the Panel and he had some stiff competition there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

darkdubh wrote: »
    Dermot Whelan was the least funny regular guest on the Panel and he had some stiff competition there.

Had his own show on TV3, and one time he had on Karl Spain. Spain was far more capable at comedy than he was. Whelan used to do Terry Wogan impressions, which was only skill-until Wogan upped and died on him.
    He did have one good joke about the difference between Eircom league (as it was then) and Premiere league players pay packets.
    But that's it.
    RayM wrote: »
    The Walshes was funny. But it was more BBC than RTE. And Mrs Brown's Boys, like it or not, is a show that a lot of people find extremely funny.

Whats even more depressing, the more you think about it-is a lot of comedians were influenced by the comics who came before. The comedians starting out now will probably be influenced by the comedians they are seeing, especially those of the last 5 years or so. So when you see bad comedians, you know they are influencing bad comics who come after. Like a never ending crappy circle. It's like if bad music influences more bad music-it's gonna be a never ending cycle of bad music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

sightband wrote: »
    The personal attack on Maeve's appearance has very little to do with misogyny or not fancying her, it has all to do with her persistent delusional claims that men can not contain themselves around her, that she is stalked and that men find her irresistible. At best, she could only hope that men in some way don't find her having a face like a blind coblers thumb, which she has. that is why her appearance is being commented upon, because I don't believe any of this happens and I certainly don't believe that piece from her book about the stalker and the garda, it's not funny either, she sounds like a f**kin nutter to be honest.

She's also a crap comedian.

Good post. Its delusional egotism.
    Put the shoe on the other foot. If Marty Morrissey or George Hook said they are irresistible to women and being stalked and had to get Gardai involved to prevent besotted women from breaking down the door do you think women would laugh and condemn them?.

You bet your life they would!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

Put the shoe on the other foot. If Marty Morrissey or George Hook said they are irresistible to women and being stalked and had to get Gardai involved to prevent besotted women from breaking down the door do you think women would laugh and condemn them?.

If either of them said they went to the Gardai as a result of a stalking situation I would believe them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Deirdre OKane - is she 'still' a comedienne/comedian ?? The worst ever !!!

Bernard OShea - just who would call him a comedian?? An unfunny clown....

Maeve Higgins - WTF ?? loike .....

Jason Byrne - Fcuk off with the Wonky Eye joke, over and over and over ...... Used to be funny .

Dylan Moran - someone surgically removed his funniness...

Des Bishop - not Irish, but he steals a living here.... Just not funny
    and add his brother to that also (talk about riding on someones coat tails !!!!)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

RayM wrote: »

I’m a great believer in the whole ‘comedy/music is subjective’ spiel but there are exceptions and Mrs Brown’s boys is certainly one of them.

It’s the comedy equivalent of what Jedward is to music.
    Comedy is subjective but that doesn’t mean that the people that are willingly subjecting themselves to it aren’t gobsh*tes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

optogirl wrote: »
    If either of them said they went to the Gardai as a result of a stalking situation I would believe them.

Really?. You'd believe them if they said women were stalking them because they found them irresistible?. :rolleyes:

You realize Maeve and co make shyt up to sell books and tours right?. Like men in America finding her attractive.

She has a head on her like a chewed up toffee. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

darkdubh wrote: »

Smug too I'd say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Des Bishop is Irish ffs. He was in NY for a few years big deal. He's a posho who went to Blackrock college. Hardly a tough guy New Yorker is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

To be fair the words Gardai, Stalking, Women and Marty Morrissey seem to be a natural fit for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Dermot & Dave!!!

They probably have their fans but I'm definitely not one. Listening to the bad jokes from one of them is bad enough but the forced laughter from the other one is what really makes me cringe.
    Cant get to the radio quick enough to change the station.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

Des Bishop is Irish ffs. He was in NY for a few years big deal. He's a posho who went to Blackrock college. Hardly a tough guy New Yorker is he?

I remember him going to his gaff in NY for some show and it seemed like a working class Irish neighbourhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

dieselbug wrote: »
    Dermot & Dave!!!

They probably have their fans but I'm definitely not one. Listening to the bad jokes from one of them is bad enough but the forced laughter from the other one is what really makes me cringe.
    Cant get to the radio quick enough to change the station.

I often wonder how Dermot did so well, is that he was on rte's payroll and "comedy" was where he was put? like he's been called a "comedian" since the panel but ive only seen him do stand up once on the late late and that was sh1te....

Had his own show on TV3, and one time he had on Karl Spain. Spain was far more capable at comedy than he was. Whelan used to do Terry Wogan impressions, which was only skill-until Wogan upped and died on him.
    He did have one good joke about the difference between Eircom league (as it was then) and Premiere league players pay packets.
    But that's it.

Whats even more depressing, the more you think about it-is a lot of comedians were influenced by the comics who came before. The comedians starting out now will probably be influenced by the comedians they are seeing, especially those of the last 5 years or so. So when you see bad comedians, you know they are influencing bad comics who come after. Like a never ending crappy circle. It's like if bad music influences more bad music-it's gonna be a never ending cycle of bad music.
    stuart lee had a good one on this at the show I saw in Belfast in sept..he pretended to slag off Russell howard and then impersonated a young comic wannabe standing up for him :)

Where did the New Yaark accent come from then ! Sounds like he lived in Brooklyn all his life with Donnie Brasco, Lefty , Vito , Tony ! "Fuhget bout itttttt" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Aidan bishop has started posting video's of his "standup" "comedy" on youtube.

Have the comments been Disabled yet ?? :D :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

greenspurs wrote: »
    Have the comments been Disabled yet ?? :D :P

Always a sign of quality. RTE have all their comments disabled. Because RTE is trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Always a sign of quality. RTE have all their comments disabled. Because RTE is trash.
    The truth hurts and we can't have Tubs and the gang getting their massive egos bruised now can we.

https://www.buzz.ie/entertainment/therell-female-comedy-show-electric-picnic-2018-265254

Proof Electric Picnic has gone to the dregs, as if Amanda Brunker wasn't poison enough...

I will admit, I found Grace Mulvey entertaining-the comedienne above. The rest, I googled...they don't even have youtube videos, and the few that do...they're friends with 'clisare' and have 'repeal' on their twitter accounts....

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

He's was in one of Noo Yawks toughest gangs.

giphy.gif

He's was in one of Noo Yawks toughest gangs.

I can't help but feel that this was an 'image' he created for himself, when he tried to be rapper, as well as a comedian. Neither happened, just like his foray into being a success in China.
    Then his 'immersion' and 'I have two copies of Soundlings' routines blew that out of the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

https://www.buzz.ie/entertainment/therell-female-comedy-show-electric-picnic-2018-265254

Proof Electric Picnic has gone to the dregs, as if Amanda Brunker wasn't poison enough...

I will admit, I found Grace Mulvey entertaining-the comedienne above. The rest, I googled...they don't even have youtube videos, and the few that do...they're friends with 'clisare' and have 'repeal' on their twitter accounts....

3.20 I lasted.
    Desperately unfunny

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Remember Anna Nolan in her role as token woman on the Panel? Funny she wasn't. At the very beginning they had Tara Flynn who was even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Sono

Couldn’t see Al Foran mentioned, I really fail to see what people see funny in this guy, horrendous comedy altogether.

Advertisement