Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

mada82 wrote: »
    Al Foran
    A one trick pony who does really poor impressions, his George Hook take off is diabolical.
    Any examples of his talents?
    razorblunt wrote: »
    Do your own impression of McGregor, Pacino or Hook. It will be better than his.
    His De Niro is decent, but flogged to death at this stage.
    Sono wrote: »
    Couldn’t see Al Foran mentioned, I really fail to see what people see funny in this guy, horrendous comedy altogether.

TBH its being very charitable to even refer to him as a comedian.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Richie Kavanagh. Farmer Michael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

3.20 I lasted.
    Desperately unfunny

Each to their own.
    Remember Anna Nolan in her role as token woman on the Panel? Funny she wasn't. At the very beginning they had Tara Flynn who was even worse.

Tara Flynn, Deirdre O'Kane...the tragedy was that the women who weren't comedians were often funnier, could even riff and take a joke or two as well.
    Flynn and O'Kane...nope. Agree on Nolan, she was bland.
    I still have to wonder who told Anna Nolan she should be a tv presenter-she's blander than a salt cracker. No warmth either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Sono

TBH its being very charitable to even refer to him as a comedian.

Clearly I didn’t look hard enough!

He seems to be doing well out of his so called comedy too, I’m glad I’m not the only one that doesn’t find this guy funny.

Remember Anna Nolan in her role as token woman on the Panel? Funny she wasn't. At the very beginning they had Tara Flynn who was even worse.

I forgot how they brought on Mairead Farrell to replace them all-the token women I mean. I guess that's Ptsd.

She was absolutely horrible, still is tbh-she came on with the 'skanger jackeen married to a culchie' routine...and I cringed and felt my sphinter retract every time she spoke.

Her entire contributions were 'culchies, they're gas/ my culchie husband' etc...and then that would trigger the equally talentless Andrew Maxwell to do the same tired, cliche riff on 'culchies'. Cue Colin Murphy talking about 'the Nordie culchies'.
    Nobody ever uses the word Jackeen on tv, as if they don't like the word...yet culchie is fine. It's just lazy, laziness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Each to their own.

Tara Flynn, Deirdre O'Kane...the tragedy was that the women who weren't comedians were often funnier, could even riff and take a joke or two as well.
    Flynn and O'Kane...nope. Agree on Nolan, she was bland.
    I still have to wonder who told Anna Nolan she should be a tv presenter-she's blander than a salt cracker. No warmth either.

Fiona Looney too. I used to think her and Tara O'Flynn were the same person.
    Both equally unfunny.

Fiona Looney too. I used to think her and Tara O'Flynn were the same person.
    Both equally unfunny.

Looney still scored more laughs than Flynn. I remember her getting a few good jokes in.
    That said, one time Ray D'arcy appeared on the show (no, I'm not a fan) and she was a total b**** to him. He'd a new book out, and as soon as he walked on, with a wave of her hand, she swiped his books onto the floor.
    It was like something a school girl would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Ray D'Arcy had a book out? Absolute chancer

Ray D'Arcy had a book out? Absolute chancer

It was when he was with Today Fm. It wasn't so much his book, it was stories sent in by Today fm listeners. Like, funny, sad, and happy stories collected into a book.

I checked it out on amazon. Available for 1 cent. That's far too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Looney still scored more laughs than Flynn. I remember her getting a few good jokes in.
    That said, one time Ray D'arcy appeared on the show (no, I'm not a fan) and she was a total b**** to him. He'd a new book out, and as soon as he walked on, with a wave of her hand, she swiped his books onto the floor.
    It was like something a school girl would do.

Where was this :D
    It was when he was with Today Fm. It wasn't so much his book, it was stories sent in by Today fm listeners. Like, funny, sad, and happy stories collected into a book.

Aye, the book was called 'Us' it was on a particular day everyone sent in photos, in case you think that was mad, ray had a similar book out, aptly named "How Mad Is That" :P

It was when he appeared on the Panel. One of the times anyways. Looney was sitting right next to him. He was barely sat there, when her inner mean girl emerged. Looney by name, Looney by nature.
    Aye, the book was called 'Us' it was on a particular day everyone sent in photos, in case you think that was mad, ray had a similar book out, aptly named "How Mad Is That" :P

That's a bizarre concept for a book-wonder what the sales were?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

There were also the Fixit Friday books

darkdubh wrote: »
    Dermot Whelan was the least funny regular guest on the Panel and he had some stiff competition there.

Dare i say, A Maxwell was funnier, than Whelan eek.png

That will come back to haunt B'oShea on that comment Dermot made at his stage door, was he trying to sabotage DTWS, maybe he'll do that himself, as it only took a few comments to take Al down afaik?

Good post. Its delusional egotism.
    Put the shoe on the other foot. If Marty Morrissey or George Hook said they are irresistible to women and being stalked and had to get Gardai involved to prevent besotted women from breaking down the door do you think women would laugh and condemn them?.

You bet your life they would!.

You've got Mario Rosenstock, to make them less attractive, another fella who should have stayed on radio, when someone says you have a face for radio, it's a good reason they said it :rolleyes:
    Sono wrote: »
    Couldn’t see Al Foran mentioned, I really fail to see what people see funny in this guy, horrendous comedy altogether.

Who's Al Foran??
    Suppose they'll be saying that about the other Al :confused:
    I forgot how they brought on Mairead Farrell to replace them all-the token women I mean. I guess that's Ptsd.

She was absolutely horrible, still is tbh-she came on with the 'skanger jackeen married to a culchie' routine...and I cringed and felt my sphinter retract every time she spoke.

Her entire contributions were 'culchies, they're gas/ my culchie husband' etc...and then that would trigger the equally talentless Andrew Maxwell to do the same tired, cliche riff on 'culchies'. Cue Colin Murphy talking about 'the Nordie culchies'.
    Nobody ever uses the word Jackeen on tv, as if they don't like the word...yet culchie is fine. It's just lazy, laziness.

I remember the bitch-fest Mairead & Grainne had on the show, "Black is very slimming on you Mairead" even Ray'darcy got mentioned in it & beware the Delamere's hedgehog on his lip :confused:

I'd choose Grainne over her any day, sadly RTE's loss:(
    although when you google Mairead Farrell then, you didn't get what you do now! her words then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

branie2 wrote: »

Got them as a stocking filler at Christmas a few times. In fairness, it was a really good show back then, before Ray became a sanctimonious numpty.

branie2 wrote: »

Oh yeah I remember them, got them dirt cheap in Chapters before the Luas came in, also don't forget the Bobble head ray's, almost actual size :p

That will come back to haunt B'oShea on that comment Dermot made at his stage door, was he trying to sabotage DTWS, maybe he'll do that himself, as it only took a few comments to take Al down afaik?

You've got Mario Rosenstock, to make them less attractive, another fella who should have stayed on radio, when someone says you have a face for radio, it's a good reason they said it :rolleyes:

Who's Al Foran??
    Suppose they'll be saying that about the other Al :confused:

I remember the bitch-fest Mairead & Grainne had on the show, "Black is very slimming on you Mairead" even Ray'darcy got mentioned in it & beware the Delamere's hedgehog on his lip :confused:

although when you google Mairead Farrell then, you didn't get what you do now! her words then :rolleyes:

Jesus Delemare is worse than I remembered. Just shouty, annoying Mammy Mammy, look at me crap.

Ah now, he was in Glenroe-even if he doesn't exactly look back on Glenroe very fondly. Which is a shame, because most people do.

Ah, all that was all entirely scripted-you even see Grainne looking down at her notes for her lines, for one thing. That was RTE's 'lets put every presenter we have on contract on that show, because otherwise we're losing money'.
    Also, it went against what the show had, until then, maintained-which was to be ad libbed, and unscripted.

Personally, you can have either one. Grainne has all the warmth of an ice cube and believes she's more important than the entire people of Ireland, and Mairead I've spent enough time talking about...which is too much already.
    Jesus Delemare is worse than I remembered. Just shouty, annoying Mammy Mammy, look at me crap.

He was pretty much overcompensating for the show going from 'an interesting hour of tv' to 'this sucks, change the channel'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ah in fairness those shows are never ad-libbed, you might get a few off the cuff remarks but it's very much scripted, even if it's a case of the panel writing jokes based on the topics and guests and then trying to fit them in, or in the case of Delamere just shout them at random points.

It's why, when guests like Podge & Rodge come in and go off script they're lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Oh dear... I've stumbled into the moany Michaels hangout..........

• Advertisement

Ah in fairness those shows are never ad-libbed, you might get a few off the cuff remarks but it's very much scripted, even if it's a case of the panel writing jokes based on the topics and guests and then trying to fit them in, or in the case of Delamere just shout them at random points.

It's why, when guests like Podge & Rodge come in and go off script they're lost.

Yeah, they often had their material written, then it was a case of trying to shove in their jokes to match the news stories.
    But they didn't read from a prompter like Mairead and Grainne.

God...Podge and Rodge, how quickly they fell from grace. You don't even see them on tv, for a guest appearance. Even Dustin the turkey or Zig and Zag have been seen more often (and I know the latter are the same guys).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Richie Kavanagh. Farmer Michael.

I think farmer Michael is brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Has Jason Byrne been mentioned? Cringe inducing slot on the Late Late at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Noveight wrote: »
    Has Jason Byrne been mentioned? Cringe inducing slot on the Late Late at the minute.

Desperate attempt to make maximum impact, star on the Christmas tree thing at the end was ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭el diablo

Is that unfunny, ginger tw*t still getting gigs on Irish TV?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Noveight wrote: »

I hate criticising comedians, but he's one of the few I'll make an exception for. The fact that he felt the need to dress up as Will Ferrell's Elf character to get a laugh says it all.

RayM wrote: »
    I hate criticising comedians, but he's one of the few I'll make an exception for. The fact that he felt the need to dress up as Will Ferrell's Elf character to get a laugh says it all.

The Late Late Show is a crime against decency. The absolute state of it. You can garuntee that anyone that applies for tickets or has ever been an audience member has the level of a mind that has a blizzards cd playing in their car stereo as they drive home from paying their mortgage payment to their unhappy marriages.

RayM wrote: »

He's always piggy backed on better comedians-always. Even Ardal O'Hanlan had a beef with him one time, on the, thankfully, short-lived Jason Byrne show.
    (Ardal was a guest).

The first time he tried to spoof anyone was Bill Murray when he appeared on the Late Late show promoting either Scrooged, or Ghostbusters.
    Bill knew his game, and thus Jason bombed-but it gave him a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Who's that Offally chap with the wop sounding surname, Dellamare I think?

Extremelly unfunny guy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

He's always piggy backed on better comedians-always. Even Ardal O'Hanlan had a beef with him one time, on the, thankfully, short-lived Jason Byrne show.
    (Ardal was a guest).

The first time he tried to spoof anyone was Bill Murray when he appeared on the Late Late show promoting either Scrooged, or Ghostbusters.
    Bill knew his game, and thus Jason bombed-but it gave him a start.

He even managed to piss off Richard Pryor. See Byrnes question, towards the end.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2004/aug/09/comedy.edinburghfestival2004

Advertisement