Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

darkdubh wrote: »
    He even managed to piss off Richard Pryor. See Byrnes question, towards the end.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2004/aug/09/comedy.edinburghfestival2004

Good God
    Jason Byrne: You talk about Muhammad Ali in your latest DVD and how frightening it was to be in the ring with him. But do you reckon you could beat him now that the two of you shake like maracas?

RP: That's your ****in' question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

The Late Late Show is a crime against decency. The absolute state of it. You can garuntee that anyone that applies for tickets or has ever been an audience member has the level of a mind that has a blizzards cd playing in their car stereo as they drive home from paying their mortgage payment to their unhappy marriages.

And I've been accused of being blunt and brutal on this.
    We're all choirboys in your presence lad.

This video illustrates everything I meant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Some things never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Christ almighty is that George Hook. He looks like he should be down on the boardwalk with a flagon of cheap cider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's like a case study for the concept of "cultural appropriation". :pac:

Good God

Jason Byrne: You talk about Muhammad Ali in your latest DVD and how frightening it was to be in the ring with him. But do you reckon you could beat him now that the two of you shake like maracas?

Byrne has the opportunity to question a comedy legend and possibly learn a thing or two. Instead he decides to try for a cheap laugh with a low blow. What a talentless, no class prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Reporting this post.

Byrne has the opportunity to question a comedy legend and possibly learn a thing or two. Instead he decides to try for a cheap laugh with a low blow. What a talentless, no class prick.

He tried to get himself over and failed. Joke makes no sense either. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Jason Byrne on the LLS Friday night was hide behind the sofa cringe. Not remotely funny, just a big shouty eejits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Can we mention Alison Spittle again please ???

Story in the paper today how she was coming up with ideas for her characters.

Murder suicide would be a great idea!

There is plenty of mediocrity in the Irish comedy scene, but Byrne stands out. An angry unfunny empty vessel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Who's that Offally chap with the wop sounding surname, Dellamare I think?

Extremelly unfunny guy.

The extremely unfunny Neil Delamere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Too many to mention but honorable mention to Dara O'Brien eh eh eh eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh fk off....

eh eh

There is plenty of mediocrity in the Irish comedy scene, but Byrne stands out. An angry unfunny empty vessel.
    He seems to be the poster boy for unfunny Irish stand ups, going by this thread anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

He even managed to piss off Richard Pryor. See Byrnes question, towards the end.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2004/aug/09/comedy.edinburghfestival2004

Dear Jeebus...there are comedians there, in that chat, who I'm not majorly fond of, but they are probing Pryor's mind in order to get better-that's major respect from me, trying to get better at their craft I mean.

Byrne tho...he's a dire...thing. He doesn't deserve the title of comedian, because he'll never better himself, because he doesn't try.
    Some things never change.

Jeez...why did I watch that? I'd never seen it before, and I hope I never to see it again...arghhh...that was so white, it made salt look 'urban'.
    That was dire...just dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Brendan Grace nowadays.Horrendous as Bottler on the Late Late Show Friday night.

Brendan Grace nowadays.Horrendous as Bottler on the Late Late Show Friday night.

Grace was never a good comedian-it's just as kids we knew no better. His role in Fr Ted is one of his few saving graces, tbh.

He stole material too-such as from Rodney Dangerfield, to name a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

On fri i heard the words "and tonight we have jason byrne to tell us about his vasectomy" (late late show) and i felt sad and disappointed. We need the army to stage a coup in RTE if this is the level we've sunk too. I can even picture the team meeting where they all creamed themselves visualising Byrne putting his "zany" twist on a mens medical procedure and how it will be great gas altogether :)

RTE/Late Late Show is pathetic, should be shut down, no need whatsoever for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Tubs looked like he couldn't wait to see the back of him. Brendan grace always gets a spot on the LLS just before Christmas to plug his tickets and DVD etc. He must have good connections or a good agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

On fri i heard the words "and tonight we have jason byrne to tell us about his vasectomy" (late late show) and i felt sad and disappointed. We need the army to stage a coup in RTE if this is the level we've sunk too. I can even picture the team meeting where they all creamed themselves visualising Byrne putting his "zany" twist on a mens medical procedure and how it will be great gas altogether :)

Byrne is another unfunny mediocre act who gets endless TV airtime. I'm sure his Tubridy appearance was the usual unfunny dirty suggestive drivel that passes for 'comedy' on modern RTE. Why do we even need to have these types on? Clearly they know someone or are related to someone in RTE.

Something needs to be done about RTE and its closed shop mentality. They do not open up and embrace new talent and are happy to force the worst possible Irish comedians, singers and reality personalities at us all the time. They want us to pay for this too with a tax.

The next thing you will see is a Late Late special paying tribute to some mediocre 'comedian', bad modern country 'singer' or to Louis Walsh and Westlife. None of these are in any way special and have killed off proper talent in Ireland. I no longer watch Tubridy or other chatshows because of all the poor comedians like Byrne along with all the other drivel that is pushed on it. This worship of Mrs Brown needs to stop too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I havent subjected myself to the lls in years thankfully, but did tubs question jason byrne on gettimg off his recent driving charges?

Depressingly, i think i already know the answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

retalivity wrote: »
    I havent subjected myself to the lls in years thankfully, but did tubs question jason byrne on gettimg off his recent driving charges?

Depressingly, i think i already know the answer

That would be a No. Byrne was embarrassing to be honest absolutely lowest common denominator tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I like Brendan Grace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Can you imagine how his 'zany' twist might be into his ingrown toenail, piles, having his corns pared.

I'd dearly love to hear his take on crotch rot. Maybe the LL next Christmas.

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Can you imagine how his 'zany' twist might be into his ingrown toenail, piles, having his corns pared.

I'd dearly love to hear his take on crotch rot. Maybe the LL next Christmas.

And it's extra-mad and gas 'cos we're all Irish and the Irish are mad and gas altogether

The ONLY possible thing that he may have going for him is his energy. I can see how his breathless in-your-face delivery would batter you into submission. By the time you've realised "wait, that wasn't funny. That was actually dreadful", he has bounded on to the next 'funny'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

branie2 wrote: »
    I like Brendan Grace

So do I.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Ed. Byrne is bloody dreadful - I think we all agree on that. But comedy is very subjective - what one person find hilarious another finds dross.

But yes, there are a lot of crap Irish “comedians.” A list of them all would take me too much time to do and I’ve more important things to do with my time.

Anyone ever see footage of Dave Allen? Now he was great!:cool:

• Advertisement

Byrne is another unfunny mediocre act who gets endless TV airtime. I'm sure his Tubridy appearance was the usual unfunny dirty suggestive drivel that passes for 'comedy' on modern RTE. Why do we even need to have these types on? Clearly they know someone or are related to someone in RTE.

Something needs to be done about RTE and its closed shop mentality. They do not open up and embrace new talent and are happy to force the worst possible Irish comedians, singers and reality personalities at us all the time. They want us to pay for this too with a tax.

The next thing you will see is a Late Late special paying tribute to some mediocre 'comedian', bad modern country 'singer' or to Louis Walsh and Westlife. None of these are in any way special and have killed off proper talent in Ireland. I no longer watch Tubridy or other chatshows because of all the poor comedians like Byrne along with all the other drivel that is pushed on it. This worship of Mrs Brown needs to stop too.

Tbh, there's an element of 'they can't be bothered coming on the Late Late'...not when Graham Norton covers the bases.
    And honestly, can you blame them? Byrne is available because nobody else wants him.
    It's actually heartbreaking, tbh, because tons of new talent aren't getting an airing on Irish tv, there are no avenues.

Oh God...don't remind me of the country thing. The 'country singers' episode that lls do, yearly, tbh, are turning into tribute shows. The last one was a tribute to Big Tom, pretty much.

Advertisement