Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

darkdubh wrote: »
    He even managed to piss off Richard Pryor. See Byrnes question, towards the end.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2004/aug/09/comedy.edinburghfestival2004

Jesus, my already low opinion of Jason Byrne just nosedived after reading that. What a fuuping knob!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Byrne is another unfunny mediocre act who gets endless TV airtime. I'm sure his Tubridy appearance was the usual unfunny dirty suggestive drivel that passes for 'comedy' on modern RTE. Why do we even need to have these types on? Clearly they know someone or are related to someone in RTE.

Something needs to be done about RTE and its closed shop mentality. They do not open up and embrace new talent and are happy to force the worst possible Irish comedians, singers and reality personalities at us all the time. They want us to pay for this too with a tax.

The next thing you will see is a Late Late special paying tribute to some mediocre 'comedian', bad modern country 'singer' or to Louis Walsh and Westlife. None of these are in any way special and have killed off proper talent in Ireland. I no longer watch Tubridy or other chatshows because of all the poor comedians like Byrne along with all the other drivel that is pushed on it. This worship of Mrs Brown needs to stop too.

tubs to jack black "were you the class clown acting the maggot dsown the back of the class?"
    Jack Black "er......maggot?"
    tubs; so jack your parent are rocket scientists?
    jack: er....no, they work for nasa yea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jesus, my already low opinion of Jason Byrne just nosedived after reading that. What a fuuping knob!

I've never seen that article. What a pathetic question from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Tbh, there's an element of 'they can't be bothered coming on the Late Late'...not when Graham Norton covers the bases.
    And honestly, can you blame them? Byrne is available because nobody else wants him.
    It's actually heartbreaking, tbh, because tons of new talent aren't getting an airing on Irish tv, there are no avenues.

Oh God...don't remind me of the country thing. The 'country singers' episode that lls do, yearly, tbh, are turning into tribute shows. The last one was a tribute to Big Tom, pretty much.

The Tubridy show is becoming increasingly irrelevant and will remain so as long as it remains a closed shop propping up mediocre acts who no one else will push. Anyone can do what the likes of Byrne, Al Porter, PJ Gallagher and so on do as 'comedy' and they are anything but talented. Oliver Callan is played out and while he has some talent, he is limited and on way too much. Mrs Brown's Boys is also limited and on way too much and while she was escapism from misery 7 years ago, she has outstayed her welcome.

Combining so-called country music and so-called comedy is the pits altogether. Songs like Hit Da Diff and The Farmer Wants a Wife by 'singers' like Ritchie Remo and Lee Matthews is the latest torture posing as entertainment the people have to endure. What did we do to deserve all this brutal stuff pushed at us by the media? Isn't it time some better comedy and music gets a chance instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I remember him on the Panel relating that old "I'm fat because your ma gives me a biscuit every time I ride her" joke as if he was the first ever person to tell it.

He ran that ****e line when doing his show in Dolans limerick. What a fat knob.

• Advertisement

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Very rude I'd say...what happened to manners ....You donlt have to like someone but calling them ****e to their face??.....and as a parent are proud of this kind of behaviour ?
    If I said anything rude to an adult when I was young I'd wouldn't do it again

Fuc.k that. Karl is the same with his audience.

Karl is a funny man.. I'm not joking... He's not a world class comic but he's a joy

Karl is a funny man.. I'm not joking... He's not a world class comic but he's a joy

Only Des Bishop and Keith Pickett would think he is funny.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Only Des Bishop and Keith Pickett would think he is funny.

And me and the entire international last month... And a room full of Stuart Lee fans enjoyed him last year

And me and the entire international last month... And a room full of Stuart Lee fans enjoyed him last year

Loving the biscuits.

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    Loving the biscuits.

You're not a comedy fan?

You're not a comedy fan?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

He even managed to piss off Richard Pryor. See Byrnes question, towards the end.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2004/aug/09/comedy.edinburghfestival2004

That's ****ing hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

You know who wasn't funny, not even close? Maureen Potter. Yet Gay Byrne had a need to wheel her out on the LLS nearly every two weeks.

That was comedy in Ireland back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

You know who wasn't funny, not even close? Maureen Potter. Yet Gay Byrne had a need to wheel her out on the LLS nearly every two weeks.

And the Billy Barry kids...who were never off of the Late Late, or Echo Island, or anything really...the greatest blessing we got when Pat Kenny took over the Late Late was his banishing the Billy Barry kids. He brought in other kid performers, which thankfully meant an end to the scourge (they popped up in other places, but nowhere as prominent).

If you've ever watched 'Village of the Damned' you'll find the film pedestrian, cos you survived the Billy Barry kids.

Gay Byrne could get some amazing comic talent-was watching an old interview he did with Billy Connolly which was brilliant. But then Maureen would pop up on the Late Late or Pat Kenny, and just leave you bored.

I always fear Tubridy bringing back the Billy Barry kids-as one final 'go **** yourselves' to the Irish audience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Yep, her brand of humour seemed horribly dated even in the 70's and 80's when Gaybo used to have her on. Generally I loved Gays tenure of the LLS but dreaded those this is your life type specials where they'd devote the entire show to some faded music hall veteran.

She must have had some serious dirt on him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Does anyone remember some youngfella who was on the Den in around 1990 or so? His whole character was kind of streetwise Dub type thing. Very vague memories of him but he was definitely a thing, and even as a 10 year old I didn't dig his act at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Grace was never a good comedian-it's just as kids we knew no better. His role in Fr Ted is one of his few saving graces, tbh.

He stole material too-such as from Rodney Dangerfield, to name a few.

Absolutely on the Father Ted appearance- a bizarre and very good cameo and totally unexpected role for him. For those old enough to remember his career nadir I give you: FREE A NIPPER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Does anyone remember some youngfella who was on the Den in around 1990 or so? His whole character was kind of streetwise Dub type thing. Very vague memories of him but he was definitely a thing, and even as a 10 year old I didn't dig his act at all.

Kevo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

don't think he ever claimed he was a comedian though. in sports production as far as i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Gaybo and RTE were sort of 'loyal' to the people who worked for them from the beginning (much different to nowadays, tbh). Potter was one of those who availed of that. Some time in the 90s/ early 00's, RTE became more corporate, and loyalty to employees went out the window.
    The most apparent place where this happened was in young people's programming-most presenters who started out there moved up in the world, be it presenter, or production. Nowadays, dropped like a hot potato after a few months.

You mean Kevo? aka Kevin Connolly? Most irritating Dublin accent to ever grace TV, and got worse as time went on.

If he was hosting a quiz, you'd be hearing the 'Phoive' points for 'five' points.

He was on everything, Scrap Saturday, I think 'TX', Jo Maxi, Make and Do, The Grip, 'Stream', Sattitude (he was the director) etc. He was RTE's 'kid we keep in a the attic' until they needed a child presenter to 'relate' to the kids.

Stream wasn't that bad, tbh. I think it's mostly known for introducing us to Steve Curran, who met then continuity girl Helen Leonard (now weather girl Helen Curran) and announced their engagement on The Den (it was actually pretty sweet). They're married for almost 20 years now, I think.

The young lad saw one of Dennis Leary's MTV bits and just tried to rip it off.

You would go bright red if you saw it today.

Well its not much use to her now considering she died in 2004.

The young lad saw one of Dennis Leary's MTV bits and just tried to rip it off.

You would go bright red if you saw it today.

Ironic as Leary was ripping off Bill Hicks jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭tinpib

Maureen Potter was Ireland's Arthur Atkinson.

I remember my mother telling me how funny she was and laughing away at her on the Late Late as I sat in silence. There was a generation gap there to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Never Say Never Again

Thats true about kids presenters, when Fransis boylan's contract wasn't renewed he was told he looked too fat for kids tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

He does have that good routine about the Chinese takeaway, in fairness.

"Wha' you wah'?"

"Wha' you goh?"

briany wrote: »
    He does have that good routine about the Chinese takeaway, in fairness.

"Wha' you wah'?"

"Wha' you goh?"

I think you have have meant to quote one of the comments about Brendan Grace. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭donal7

My workplace is full of them...

Advertisement