Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

briany wrote: »
    He does have that good routine about the Chinese takeaway, in fairness.

"Wha' you wah'?"

"Wha' you goh?"

June Rogers told a joke on Joe Duffys "funny Friday" that involved santy eyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

tinpib wrote: »
    Maureen Potter was Ireland's Arthur Atkinson.

I remember my mother telling me how funny she was and laughing away at her on the Late Late as I sat in silence. There was a generation gap there to be sure.

Yeah, she even had videos out at the time too-never bought them myself, of her being a 'stand-up' comic.

Pretty much jokes out of a joke book that you'd buy for far less than her videos. Terrible. They were literally gag's you'd hear in the playground. Absolutely terrible. Stealing from the gullible, tbh.
    She was very much an old school, stage performer. It didn't age well, and didn't translate to modern times, even then.

A similar one was Sandy Kelly (remember that torturous woman?). Her singing and performing was very old, old, old school. She was an annoying 'presence' on tv, even having her own show on rte at one point, on a Sunday night of all nights (rte throwing away license fee money on shows that filled a half hour/ full hour of tv is nothing new) which made getting ready for school all the more torturous. I think Tubridy had her on either Tubridy Tonight, or the LLS a few years back.
    She's still this irritating person-similar to Twink, but far less acidic.
    darkdubh wrote: »
    Ironic as Leary was ripping off Bill Hicks jokes.

A copy of a copy, it's like that Michael Keaton movie, Multiplicity. Yeah, everyone was writing Kevo's scripts. RTE seemed to like shoving him onto TV when they had nobody else. I think they finally realised they needed new blood-they hired a 19/20 year old Kathryn Thomas to present with Jason Sherlock. She's still in Tv, he, thankfully, isn't.

I just got secondhand embarassment from that. And is June still around? She used to whinge about people making jokes about her weight, when that was pretty much all she did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Yeah, she even had videos out at the time too-never bought them myself, of her being a 'stand-up' comic.

Pretty much jokes out of a joke book that you'd buy for far less than her videos. Terrible. They were literally gag's you'd hear in the playground. Absolutely terrible. Stealing from the gullible, tbh.
    She was very much an old school, stage performer. It didn't age well, and didn't translate to modern times, even then.

A similar one was Sandy Kelly (remember that torturous woman?). Her singing and performing was very old, old, old school. She was an annoying 'presence' on tv, even having her own show on rte at one point, on a Sunday night of all nights (rte throwing away license fee money on shows that filled a half hour/ full hour of tv is nothing new) which made getting ready for school all the more torturous. I think Tubridy had her on either Tubridy Tonight, or the LLS a few years back.
    She's still this irritating person-similar to Twink, but far less acidic.

Maureen Potter is an early example of someone RTE liked to force on us. She was constantly on the Late Late Show and yes she was not funny imo. She appealed to a certain Dublin inner city generation and Gay Byrne probably was raised on her comedy. She interestingly enough performed for Hitler one time. Yes, true.

Sandy Kelly is an ex Eurovision performer turned Patsy Cline (American swing singer from 1950s and 1960s famous for the jazz ballad Crazy) performer. I remember her programme and she sang all types of pop and country songs and of course did a Patsy Cline section. She marketed herself as a country singer in her more recent times. Crazy, a jazz song, of course was passed off as country here (it is not) but at least it was a good song unlike the muck passed off as country now. Compared to the drivel of today, she was much better and at least she was not doing drivel like Hit da diff, The farmer wants a wife or Lee Anne loves to dance.

Maureen Potter is an early example of someone RTE liked to force on us. She was constantly on the Late Late Show and yes she was not funny imo. She appealed to a certain Dublin inner city generation and Gay Byrne probably was raised on her comedy. She interestingly enough performed for Hitler one time. Yes, true.

Sandy Kelly is an ex Eurovision performer turned Patsy Cline (American swing singer from 1950s and 1960s famous for the jazz ballad Crazy) performer. I remember her programme and she sang all types of pop and country songs and of course did a Patsy Cline section. She marketed herself as a country singer in her more recent times. Crazy, a jazz song, of course was passed off as country here (it is not) but at least it was a good song unlike the muck passed off as country now. Compared to the drivel of today, she was much better and at least she was not doing drivel like Hit da diff, The farmer wants a wife or Lee Anne loves to dance.

Patsy clines daughter is named Julie dick fudge.... Fact

Yeah, she was on RTE from the formation of the channel. Back when the panto and caberet performers were losing their jobs, so they were moving to TV.
    I dunno, they loved to put her on everything, not just the Late Late, but also Pat Kenny and other shows. And it always felt like travelling back in time, in a very bad way.

Twink must have thought she'd replace her when Potter was retired, and before her passing.
    Appearing on every reality show she can-and looking like a crazy-cat lady is how she ended up instead.

Sandy Kelly still appeared on Podge and Rodge singing 'I kissed a Girl, and I liked it'...it was meant as comedy, instead it was just sad.
    I'd imagine she'd try and do those songs, if she could. Anything for an audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

darkdubh wrote: »
    I think you have have meant to quote one of the comments about Brendan Grace. :rolleyes:

I did, but what the hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

razorblunt wrote: »
    I've never seen that article. What a pathetic question from him.

Jason Byrne ugh. Seen him host a comedy event before. He was dreadful, trying to joke with the crowd but it was petty immature and spiteful. Certainly not funny. He had a puss turn milk on him when he was cut with a witty retort from guy in audience.

Anyways
    Maybe make an award? Present it to them record it guerilla style and have it official? : )

The unfunniest comedian award 2017 goes to.....

Santy eyes? Surely appropriate at this time of year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,633 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

are foil, Arms and Hog a hipster comedy group ??

always bloody seeing there faces on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Brendan Grace, the same stupid jokes and routines for the last 30 years. Only time he was ever funny was in Fr. Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

You know who wasn't funny, not even close? Maureen Potter. Yet Gay Byrne had a need to wheel her out on the LLS nearly every two weeks.

That was comedy in Ireland back then.

Painful. Does that kid have a speech impediment?

the old late late style "comedy" of the 80's can't really be held up as comedy, it reflects where the country was at the time. Same way we can't compare the 60's irish showbands to music.

ps I love putting "comedy" in "" ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Anyways
    Maybe make an award? Present it to them record it guerilla style and have it official? : )

The unfunniest comedian award 2017 goes to.....

Brilliant. Except you'd just have to keep presenting it to Jason Byrne every year unless someone even worse comes along. I wonder if these people read this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 xaforb

tinpib wrote: »
    Maureen Potter was Ireland's Arthur Atkinson.

I remember my mother telling me how funny she was and laughing away at her on the Late Late as I sat in silence. There was a generation gap there to be sure.
    I am part of that older generation and I freely admit that I never considered Maureen to be even remotely funny either on stage or on TV/Radio. Lots of others did.

However, there is a big difference between being "not funny" and nauseating which is how I would describe present-day Irish "comedians", Tiernan being the most vomit-inducing of all.

BTW, did you mean to say "Arthur Askey". I never heard of the Atkinson fella :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Exiled1

Has been said but needs to be said again.... Alison Spittle
    Of all the useless efforts at comedy 'Nowhere Fast' must rank close to the bottom. There have been a few lame attempts to forgive because there are a few good individual performances, but, God, I pity them trying to make something out of such a 'script'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

xaforb wrote: »
    I am part of that older generation and I freely admit that I never considered Maureen to be even remotely funny either on stage or on TV/Radio. Lots of others did.

However, there is a big difference between being "not funny" and nauseating which is how I would describe present-day Irish "comedians", Tiernan being the most vomit-inducing of all.

BTW, did you mean to say "Arthur Askey". I never heard of the Atkinson fella :).

Atkinson was a character played by Paul Whitehouse in the Fast Show....unfunny comedian... "Where's me washboard" was his catchphrase I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Atkinson was a character played by Paul Whitehouse in the Fast Show....unfunny comedian... "Where's me washboard" was his catchphrase I think

"How queer"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

xaforb wrote: »

Artur Atkinson was a Paul Whitehouse character in his sketch show.
    Character was inspired by that generation and particularly Askey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Baz Ashwany. Quasi comedian who gets free holidays with his ma in exchange for making a crap tv program.
    Can't put my finger on it but there's something off-putting about him. He seems to be one of the RTE chosen ones also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Baz Ashwany. Quasi comedian who gets free holidays with his ma in exchange for making a crap tv program.
    Can't put my finger on it but there's something off-putting about him. He seems to be one of the RTE chosen ones also.

Yes I think it's because he's a bit ethnic that RTE have a hard on for him, and his kind of "one of the goys" schtick that he carries.
    Does anyone remember what may have been the worst piece of TV ever made? It was Baz and 2 or 3 other absolute muppets going to cities around Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

ITT: Every comedian who said poster doesn't like is a chosen clone by RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Yes I think it's because he's a bit ethnic that RTE have a hard on for him, and his kind of "one of the goys" schtick that he carries.
    Does anyone remember what may have been the worst piece of TV ever made? It was Baz and 2 or 3 other absolute muppets going to cities around Europe.

How low can you go, with a suave country lad and a gay fella. Nearly every box ticked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Exiled1 wrote: »
    Has been said but needs to be said again.... Alison Spittle
    Of all the useless efforts at comedy 'Nowhere Fast' must rank close to the bottom. There have been a few lame attempts to forgive because there are a few good individual performances, but, God, I pity them trying to make something out of such a 'script'.

Was going to nominate her as well
    Dont know if she got with an RTE Weinstein or she saw someone commit a murder & have been holding them to ransom but not even close to being funny
    I think the mad lesbian feminists like her or something
    The only positive thing I can say about her is she was born in London & Ireland is her mums ancestral home, so shes not really Irish then:D
    Some mad lad called Simon Mullholland has been taking one for the team & pretending he's her boyfriend:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

siblers wrote: »
    Irish Pictorial Weekly was quite good, some sketches were better than others but far better than most of what you posted.
    It could have been good if they'd actually tried some political satire.

Instead it was a light sit com that shied away from political controversy.

Look up Scrap Saturday or Hall's Pictorial Weekly to see how it should have been done.

Then again RTE didn't bankrupt Cooper Flynn and have apologised and paid compo to Gallagher so I don't hold high hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭mattser

Patsy clines daughter is named Julie dick fudge.... Fact

That's 'Crazy'..................I'll get my coat ====>>>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Help!!!! wrote: »
    The only positive thing I can say about her is she was born in London & Ireland is her mums ancestral home, so shes not really Irish then:D

I wonder would the brits be convinced to take her back as part of the Brexit negotiations?

tupenny wrote: »
    Son is Randy Dick
    Also fact... Well done sir... (I had to google fact check that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Exiled1

Did he ever do anything remotely entertaining, informing or useful while in front of a camera?
    Where does RTE get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Don’t know much about him - is he the same annoying chap that stands in for D’arcy on the radio sometimes? - but I detect a clear “can’t believe they’re actually paying me for this sh!t” vibe off him.

• Advertisement

the old late late style "comedy" of the 80's can't really be held up as comedy, it reflects where the country was at the time. Same way we can't compare the 60's irish showbands to music.

ps I love putting "comedy" in "" ....

I dunno, there were some really entertaining comics who would appear on the LLS-but they weren't Irish.
    Our home talent was pretty poor around then-I'd argue it was the 80s/ early 90s before we started to see any talent or people . And that was down to Irish comedy clubs forming.
    The 'cabaret' acts were grand, for their time-but they were outdated by the time the 80s and 90s were rolling around. (Dermot Morgan was probably one of the earlier standups, and even he still wasn't great).

It seriously cannot be understated how important Nighthawks was round the early late 80s-it had emerging Irish talent that wouldn't get a look-in anywhere else.
    Many of whom went on to greater things. Marked a definite cultural shift in Ireland.
    Thats true about kids presenters, when Fransis boylan's contract wasn't renewed he was told he looked too fat for kids tv.

Jeezzzz-wow, that's...that's pretty damn savage. God. That explains why he never hung around RTE afterwards, even Damien McCaul was on 2fm for a time.
    I wonder if similar happened to Kathryn McKiernan? I remember she was kinda chubby, and then lost a lot of weight about a year or two after joining RTE. (I just put it down to the hectic presenting schedule). Wonder if she was told her job was at stake if she didn't lose weight. I do know the DG of RTE at the time was a notorious prat-he got fired for sexually harassing a number of female staff. At the time, he had brought in a number of young 'wans, including Geri Maye, Fiona McShane, Pamela Flood, Nuala Carey etc and 'fired' Evelyn Cusack (she came back a month or so later, due to massive backlash, Joan Blackburn was also fired, she took a case against RTE). I'd imagine the the whole sexual harassment thing damaged many of these lady's careers, sadly. (Questions as to their actual 'talent').

Advertisement