Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I've actually forgotten the name of the worst comedian I've seen...all I remember is he had long straight red hair...with a beard and glasses...always squinted...around a lot in the 00's...havent seen him anywhere in years...does it ring any bells with anyone?
    Is it Ed Byrne?
    ed_byrne_22__gallery_image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

See my edit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I've actually forgotten the name of the worst comedian I've seen...all I remember is he had long straight red hair...with a beard and glasses...always squinted...around a lot in the 00's...havent seen him anywhere in years...does it ring any bells with anyone?

Edit: tis grand! I've remembered... Kevin Gildea... about as funny as a dose of crabs mixed with fleas

Yeah, he got a mention earlier-his only funny moment was someone else's writing in Father Ted.

And 'when Sting dies, will he then change his name to Stung?'

That joke is 20 years old, I think. Everything else...ugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Ed Byrne looks like a lesbian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Maybe he is.

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    Maybe he is.

Weird how many male comedians look like lesbians. I think John Moloney was one of the few comics who made a joke about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

He used to introduce himself and then say 'you may also know me as Darlene from the sitcom Roseanne' :D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Yeah, he got a mention earlier-his only funny moment was someone else's writing in Father Ted.

And 'when Sting dies, will he then change his name to Stung?'

That joke is 20 years old, I think. Everything else...ugh.

He wasn't funny in that either TBH. He was playing a gay priest in that episode where they're stuck on a plane, he was ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

Imagine thinking this was good.

Not that I'd be a fan of Frostbit Boy, but if he can make a few quid and get his fifteen minutes off the back of one (chance?) TV appearance, I can't really knock him for it. Would we all do the same? Probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

The Late Late Show is a crime against decency. The absolute state of it. You can garuntee that anyone that applies for tickets or has ever been an audience member has the level of a mind that has a blizzards cd playing in their car stereo as they drive home from paying their mortgage payment to their unhappy marriages.

Er, don’t people just apply for the swag?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

briany wrote: »
    Not that I'd be a fan of Frostbit Boy, but if he can make a few quid and get his fifteen minutes off the back of one (chance?) TV appearance, I can't really knock him for it. Would we all do the same? Probably.

I would hope not. It's absolute desperation. It's sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

I would hope not. It's absolute desperation. It's sad.

It's only sad & desperate if he's hating every minute of it, but does it anyway out of some addiction to fast money and a bit of fame.

And, really, on the scale of sad desperation where the bottom is drug addled prostitutes, trafficked people and famine victims, I'd say Frostbit boy is in the middle portion, if he's anywhere. Same bit as an office worker who would like to throw away their shirt and tie, but, hey, it pays the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

briany wrote: »
    It's only sad & desperate if he's hating every minute of it, but does it anyway out of some addiction to fast money and a bit of fame.

And, really, on the scale of sad desperation where the bottom is drug addled prostitutes, trafficked people and famine victims, I'd say Frostbit boy is in the middle portion, if he's anywhere. Same bit as an office worker who would like to throw away their shirt and tie, but, hey, it pays the bills.

Yep ham it up We all sell our souls everyday might as well do it with crap songs but its a bit of fun.

It's not fun at all though, not in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I avoided Mrs Brown like the plague this Christmas. It almost ruined Christmas last year seeing it. Those Christmas episodes of it drag on for what seems like 30 days rather than minutes. Having to see it advertised is enough of a downer let alone watching it. Why this unfunny poorly made limited and overdone in your face drivel is pushed as the 'highlight' of Christmas TV I will never know.

I avoided Mrs Brown like the plague this Christmas. It almost ruined Christmas last year seeing it. Those Christmas episodes of it drag on for what seems like 30 days rather than minutes. Having to see it advertised is enough of a downer let alone watching it. Why this unfunny poorly made limited and overdone in your face drivel is pushed as the 'highlight' of Christmas TV I will never know.

Same-I absolutely despise it. And I cannot help feel that RTE spends a ton of money on it,buying it I mean, at the expense of getting good programs or films.

There were far too many repeats on this year, not enough new programs, at all. Thank God for DVD's and other channels.

Same-I absolutely despise it. And I cannot help feel that RTE spends a ton of money on it,buying it I mean, at the expense of getting good programs or films.

There were far too many repeats on this year, not enough new programs, at all. Thank God for DVD's and other channels.

You can be sure good programmes are cancelled in order to keep this Mrs Brown thing going. That thing is made on a shoestring budget and they even leave the mistakes in it like those cameraman scenes.

Too many repeats for sure inclusive, very much inclusive of old Mrs Browns. I'm sure they also had to show repeats because the planned Al Porter shows had to be cancelled.

You can be sure good programmes are cancelled in order to keep this Mrs Brown thing going. That thing is made on a shoestring budget and they even leave the mistakes in it like those cameraman scenes.

Too many repeats for sure inclusive, very much inclusive of old Mrs Browns. I'm sure they also had to show repeats because the planned Al Porter shows had to be cancelled.

I think they had a 'cliffhanger' so to speak this year-'who's the new Rory?'

That was possibly how they 'sold' the new show.
    But it came at the cost of actual good shows. I often skybox movies during the year, then watch em later on-went thru a whole ton of films this december. Even 'Fair City' was a distraction. Yeah, that's how bad it got. The few new movies RTE did get were months after Film 4 and others had shown them. So it was 'deja vu' again.

I see Imelda May's 'new year' show is gonna be RTE interviewing RTE-pre-recorded. I know Alison Spittle's in the ads, but did I see LON aka Louise O'Neill too?

I see Imelda May's 'new year' show is gonna be RTE interviewing RTE-pre-recorded. I know Alison Spittle's in the ads, but did I see LON aka Louise O'Neill too?

Great, can't wait to hear about what 'shifting' is again for the 675th time.

Spittle and May are becoming polyfilla, at this stage. Just plonk them into a show to fill airtime. Hoping I didn't see LON, genuinely. Shes not interesting enough for rte, tbh. A boring cliche. And thats saying something.

• Advertisement

Think people are being a little harsh on Ed Byrne.

I'm no big fan, he comes across a little smart alecky. But while I certainly wouldn't watch anything because he is on, I wouldn't turn it off either. Mrs Browns Boys offends me because the humour threshold is so low in it. And Jason Byrne's "I'm maaaaaaaaad" shtick makes me feel almost...awkard, like seeing someone with Tourette's Syndrome in a shop...without the sympathy that goes with that...

Think people are being a little harsh on Ed Byrne.

I'm no big fan, he comes across a little smart alecky. But while I certainly wouldn't watch anything because he is on, I wouldn't turn it off either. Mrs Browns Boys offends me because the humour threshold is so low in it. And Jason Byrne's "I'm maaaaaaaaad" shtick makes me feel almost...awkard, like seeing someone with Tourette's Syndrome in a shop...without the sympathy that goes with that...

There's also the feeling that he's 'failing upwards'. He seems to get way more chances than others, both on RTE, in the UK, and TV3.
    And consistently disappoints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

But it came at the cost of actual good shows.
    I often skybox movies during the year, then watch em later on-went thru a whole ton of films this december. Even 'Fair City' was a distraction. Yeah, that's how bad it got. The few new movies RTE did get were months after Film 4 and others had shown them. So it was 'deja vu' again.

It got the highest ratings of any show in the UK on Xmas Day.

Society is dumber now than it ever was. Thanks to reality TV like X Factor etc and the constant barrage of soaps where the characters offer absolutely nothing to aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I've heard that the latest Mrs Browns Boys was well below its usual standard. I can only imagine how bad it was then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

What would LON know about shifting, bet her answer is its the "patiarchys fault" and reinforce her "rape culture" nonsense

she has a book coming out this year according to the journal (one to watch lol - appeals to the moron pc brigade who read the journal) so it wouldn't surprise me she'll be on the LLS and others bleating her nonsense

But it came at the cost of actual good shows. I often skybox movies during the year, then watch em later on-went thru a whole ton of films this december. Even 'Fair City' was a distraction. Yeah, that's how bad it got. The few new movies RTE did get were months after Film 4 and others had shown them. So it was 'deja vu' again.

This Mrs Brown is here to stay for some time I'm afraid. And worse it is getting. One can see the pattern with Mrs Brown's Boys:

Series one shown in early 2011 was funny enough and was an escape from all the bad news of 2010 in terms of weather and economy. Series 2 was ok, series 3 was poor enough. Christmas special 2012 was no good, 2013 was worse, 2014 was worse again, 2015 was worse still. 2016 was way worse and 2017 I'm sure was even worse.

Why has it got so bad? I think it is because it has not tried to reinvent itself and is the same old format over and over. When it provided escapism in early 2011, that is merely what it was. It was never meant to be great TV and was just a bit of fun in 6 episodes. Nearly 7 years on, it has outstayed its welcome and has become worse and worse. People who I know were fans of it in 2011 or 2012 have gradually abandoned it and have noted how worse it has got.

O'Carroll has stopped making complete series of it because he knows there is no material for it. Instead, he makes 2 Christmas specials each year and slaps together a poorly structured and thought out mess that makes the first series look like a masterpiece.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

O'Carroll is not going to let MBB go any time soon. I read somewhere he's working on a musical now for Christ's sake. Flog it to death Brendan, why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I've heard that the latest Mrs Browns Boys was well below its usual standard. I can only imagine how bad it was then.

Atrocious, I had to sit through it Christmas night. With running commentary from the MIL going "that's funny ain't it, haw".
    I could feel my blood boiling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

O'Carroll is not going to let MBB go any time soon. I read somewhere he's working on a musical now for Christ's sake. Flog it to death Brendan, why not?

If you were making money hand over fist for a low brow show you'd written, would you a) stop because some people online didn't like it? b) make as much money as possible?
    If you pick a you are probably funnier than all of the "comedians"
    talked about in here put together.

Advertisement