Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

If you were making money hand over fist for a low brow show you'd written, would you a) stop because some people online didn't like it? b) make as much money as possible?
    If you pick a you are probably funnier than all of the "comedians"
    talked about in here put together.

Well tbh I'm happy enough on my mediocre salary and more things and riches don't really appeal to me so I'd like to think I'd stop making absolute garbage once it was past its sell by date. Do you think The Office, Faulty Towers etc. should have kept going for 10 series because they were making money? No, they knew when a good idea had ran its course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Well tbh I'm happy enough on my mediocre salary and more things and riches don't really appeal to me so I'd like to think I'd stop making absolute garbage once it was past its sell by date. Do you think The Office, Faulty Towers etc. should have kept going for 10 series because they were making money? No, they knew when a good idea had ran its course.

The Office has become a bad example. Gervais revived the Brent character for a cashcow film which didnt succeed (in terms of critical response at least - I'm not sure if it lost money). The only reprieve was that it was so far removed from the original TV show, both in terms of characters (and writers) involved and in terms of prominence of the film, that it didnt impact on the reputation of the show itself. The same goes to a lesser extent for Alan Partridge, which itself will be returning to the BBC next year I understand.

There are some people so connected to certain characters that they cant really stop, even if they put the brakes on them.

Comedy, both stand-up as well as both scripted comedy for tv and film is in bad shape. It's no real surprise that O'Carroll would bleed Mrs Brown to death. Comedy has suffered a lot from the trend towards the obsession against laddish humour and towards filling diversity quotas. This in addition to the rapid rise in witchhunts and hysteria of offence for anything remotely off colour has made everything a lot less amusing and a lot safer.

I cant recall the last genuinely funny comedy show or film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I think they had a 'cliffhanger' so to speak this year-'who's the new Rory?'

That was possibly how they 'sold' the new show.
    But it came at the cost of actual good shows.
    I often skybox movies during the year, then watch em later on-went thru a whole ton of films this december. Even 'Fair City' was a distraction. Yeah, that's how bad it got. The few new movies RTE did get were months after Film 4 and others had shown them. So it was 'deja vu' again.

I see Imelda May's 'new year' show is gonna be RTE interviewing RTE-pre-recorded. I know Alison Spittle's in the ads, but did I see LON aka Louise O'Neill too?

It got the highest ratings of any show in the UK on Xmas Day.

And our revenge for Cromwell is complete!

The best take on lowbrow comedy was Ricky Gervais' Extras, in which he played the role of a character who achieved success with a comedy he hated, When the Whistle Blows.

The best take on lowbrow comedy was Ricky Gervais' Extras, in which he played the role of a character who achieved success with a comedy he hated, When the Whistle Blows.

That was a masterpiece and I'm no fan of the Office

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

There's a guy in Waterford who fancies himself as a stand up comedian, a journalist and now an actor! Can't think of his name though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

ligerdub wrote: »
    The Office has become a bad example. Gervais revived the Brent character for a cashcow film which didnt succeed (in terms of critical response at least - I'm not sure if it lost money). The only reprieve was that it was so far removed from the original TV show, both in terms of characters (and writers) involved and in terms of prominence of the film, that it didnt impact on the reputation of the show itself. The same goes to a lesser extent for Alan Partridge, which itself will be returning to the BBC next year I understand.

There are some people so connected to certain characters that they cant really stop, even if they put the brakes on them.

Comedy, both stand-up as well as both scripted comedy for tv and film is in bad shape. It's no real surprise that O'Carroll would bleed Mrs Brown to death. Comedy has suffered a lot from the trend towards the obsession against laddish humour and towards filling diversity quotas. This in addition to the rapid rise in witchhunts and hysteria of offence for anything remotely off colour has made everything a lot less amusing and a lot safer.

The one off three Of League of Gentlemen episodes were the highlight of Christmas tv for me. Utterly hilirious and twisted. There was a joke in it about dementia I think is one of the best written scenes in comedy ever. Pure genius joke in the first episode. Still laugh thinking of it.

As they said in the end themselves
    you can always visit but never return.
    How true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Can't understand how the witless Neil Delamere doesn't feature more frequently in this thread.

coolbeans wrote: »
    Can't understand how the witless Neil Delamere doesn't feature more frequently in this thread.

Comedian would be a stretch so can see why he's not !!

ligerdub wrote: »

The one off three Of League of Gentlemen episodes were the highlight of Christmas tv for me. Utterly hilirious and twisted. There was a joke in it about dementia I think is one of the best written scenes in comedy ever. Pure genius joke in the first episode. Still laugh thinking of it.

As they said in the end themselves
    you can always visit but never return.
    How true

You're my wife now.....

• Advertisement

The League of Gentlemen was very good. Expected to be disappointed, between nostalgia and the way that grotesque sketch comedy was later copied - badly - by Little Britain. But they managed to make it work, Pam Doove giving the shipping forecast, Les McQueen etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

When the Whistle Blows is actually far superior than Mrs. Brown's Boys.

Upstart Crow is actually really good, surprisingly brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I've been to see some of the new wave of Irish comedy over the last while and some of them have potential but there's this large group of "comedians" gigging in Dublin now who are horrendously bad by still get booked because they're all mates and have connections somehow.

I think the issue is that within this group almost all of them are products of stage schools and are kids who grew up in theatre and see stand up as a shortcut to TV work and a way to build up a showreel and make money.

People like Georges Fox, Blaithin de Burca, Emman Idama, Laura Byrne, Martin Angolo, basically everyone in this stupid FACTS YouTube videos.

They're not comedians, they're out of work stage school kids trying to make a name because the acting isn't paying the bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Atrocious, I had to sit through it Christmas night. With running commentary from the MIL going "that's funny ain't it, haw".
    I could feel my blood boiling.

I had the same experience last year and had to watch it because the family wanted to. None of us went near it this year: everyone here concluded it was woeful last year.

coolbeans wrote: »

Neil Delamere? There's one who used to be everywhere but is not seen as much anymore. Another run of the mill comedian who was not funny. He was always on Tubridy around 5 or 6 years back. Crème Delamere!

Dara O'Briain was the crowd tickler. Now he is the craic dealer. Always knew he looked like a fat Nidge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

First time i saw Mrs Browns Boys, that extra's show-in-a-show is all i thought about. Has barry from eastenders showed up in it yet? Are you having a laugh? Is he having a laugh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

retalivity wrote: »
    First time i saw Mrs Browns Boys, that extra's show-in-a-show is all i thought about. Has barry from eastenders showed up in it yet? Are you having a laugh? Is he having a laugh?

Yeah, but the Andy Millman character hated what he was doing. O'Carroll and Co. think they're making art and comedy gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

People like Georges Fox, Blaithin de Burca, Emman Idama, Laura Byrne, Martin Angolo, basically everyone in this stupid FACTS YouTube videos.

They're not comedians, they're out of workmate school kids trying to make a name because the acting isn't paying the bills.

As far as I know, George Fox has a day job as a teacher of some description (or had).

The rest I'm not too sure of.

Who's that guy who's on the Irish Facts videos who looks like he's wearing stick-on Russell Brand styled facial hair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

Yeah, but the Andy Millman character hated what he was doing. O'Carroll and Co. think they're making art and comedy gold.

Mainly, I'd say they think they're making cash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They’re making hay while the sun shines. He’s no spring chicken and this huge success has some later in his life, so I’d say he’s grabbing it with both hands.

They’re making hay while the sun shines. He’s no spring chicken and this huge success has some later in his life, so I’d say he’s grabbing it with both hands.

Ever hear of artistic integrity?

Ever hear of artistic integrity?

Have you ever asked your bank if they’ll take “artistic integrity” as part of your mortgage repayments??

Have you ever asked your bank if they’ll take “artistic integrity” as part of your mortgage repayments??

I really don’t think BOC is struggling financially

I really don’t think BOC is struggling financially

And with the money he’s currently making neither will his family. He also donates quite a bit to charity every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

And with the money he’s currently making neither will his family. He also donates quite a bit to charity every year.

And he's not shy about telling people about it and humblebragging his way through his generosity - often on his pal Joe Duffy's show where he's seen as a knight in shining armour coming to the rescue of the poor people. Curiously, this always seems to be around the same time as the latest concert tour of the show's tickets go on sale......hmmmm.

A cynic might say this is all cleverly designed to help shift more tickets and gain incredibly cost effective advertising whereby shelling out a few grand gets you 45mins+ of the limelight shone on you for your act of kindness and a multiple of that in free advertising for your show.....thank God I'm not a cynic. :rolleyes:

Not to mention the paradise papers.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

retalivity wrote: »

And then Ricky sadly became a walking parody of himself-his time went very quickly, sadly.
    Unlike Mrs Browns Boys, also sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

briany wrote: »
    As far as I know, George Fox has a day job as a teacher of some description (or had).

The rest I'm not too sure of.

Who's that guy who's on the Irish Facts videos who looks like he's wearing stick-on Russell Brand styled facial hair?
    Laura and Emman do have jobs aswell.

Thats probably Davey Reilly with the facial hair. It was himself and George who outed Al Porter for his behaviour.

And then Ricky sadly became a walking parody of himself-his time went very quickly, sadly.
    Unlike Mrs Browns Boys, also sadly.

It was like a different person after Extras, Derek and Life's Too Short were both painfully unfunny dirge, and now he just seems to be tweeting rage about hunting and religion...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Derek had it's moments, some episodes were heartbreaking to watch, the dog dying was very well written. Saw him doing stand up this year, he was absolutely incredible so I wouldn't say he's lost it at all. Just needs another Extras.

Advertisement