Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Derek had it's moments, some episodes were heartbreaking to watch, the dog dying was very well written. Saw him doing stand up this year, he was absolutely incredible so I wouldn't say he's lost it at all. Just needs another Extras.

Gervais is a good stand-up, Animals and Politics were great, Science was lazy and forgettable though. His tv and film work has declined massively in quality since he stopped working with Steve Merchant though. I suspect Merchant is a much more professional writer and has a better understanding of what makes a tv show work than Gervais does. Until he works with him again we won't be seeing anything decent from him again.

To be honest a lot of his best punchlines in all of his work came from things that Karl Pilkington said to him. He's a funny guy in his own right, but when he's on his own it seems his ego is unfiltered and it spreads into his work and the characters and jokes just aren't as funny.

I personally hated Derek, for many reasons. Primarily because that i think it was a cynical ploy on his behalf to change the character from one where he had previously used purely as somebody to make fun of, but then he moulded this into a character of sympathy and he also shoehorned a bit of self-promotion into the mix with the "i love animals" schtick. The biggest crime of all though was that it wasn't funny.

I wonder if a similar thing is the case with O'Carroll. I don't have any knowledge of the show but if O'Carroll is the only writer and he keeps churning out the same stuff then it's going to run out of ideas and become stale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,084 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ligerdub wrote: »
    Gervais is a good stand-up, Animals and Politics were great, Science was lazy and forgettable though. His tv and film work has declined massively in quality since he stopped working with Steve Merchant though. I suspect Merchant is a much more professional writer and has a better understanding of what makes a tv show work than Gervais does. Until he works with him again we won't be seeing anything decent from him again.

To be honest a lot of his best punchlines in all of his work came from things that Karl Pilkington said to him. He's a funny guy in his own right, but when he's on his own it seems his ego is unfiltered and it spreads into his work and the characters and jokes just aren't as funny.

I personally hated Derek, for many reasons. Primarily because that i think it was a cynical ploy on his behalf to change the character from one where he had previously used purely as somebody to make fun of, but then he moulded this into a character of sympathy and he also shoehorned a bit of self-promotion into the mix with the "i love animals" schtick. The biggest crime of all though was that it wasn't funny.

I wonder if a similar thing is the case with O'Carroll. I don't have any knowledge of the show but if O'Carroll is the only writer and he keeps churning out the same stuff then it's going to run out of ideas and become stale.

If there's one thing that can be said about Mrs brown it is that it's not a show full of ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Ed Byrne- not my cuppa tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

If there's one thing that can be said about Mrs brown it is that it's not a show full of ideas

You mean you don't think the annual Christmas tree joke isn't up there with the best the Marx Brothers came out with ???

/sarcasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Imagine if the Irish media was more open and less of a closed shop propping up handpicked individuals. The likes of PJ Gallagher and all the other unfunny comedians who have zero talent would not be around. All this poor stuff would be nowhere as prominent. All this is there because the likes of RTE are giving it exposure. PJ Gallagher's woeful Naked Camera DVD is something I am reminded of at Christmas. I was given it free just after Christmas in 2008 and watched it and it was woeful. I was depressed for the rest of that evening by how awful it was. I gave it away free as well but had 10 turn me down before one took it. They felt the same. Most awful DVD ever and almost had as bad an influence on Christmas as the 1997 hurricane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

You can't compare Brendan O'carroll to Ricky Gervais, it's like comparing Bressie to Bruce Springsteen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Didn't realise gervais was from Eire.

Context, read the last few pages.

I'm shocked that June Rodgers hasn't got her own show on RTE yet, she's total package when it comes to unfunny, embarrassing drivel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

I'm shocked that June Rodgers hasn't got her own show on RTE yet, she's total package when it comes to unfunny, embarrassing drivel.

I've only ever heard her on the radio or the odd time on the TV and I've always found her funny. I have a simple test for whether someone is funny or not....if they make me laugh, they're funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

This is an opinion thread. Comedy is completely down to individual taste. People contribute here with their opinions as to who's unfunny but there are also people here who seem to think they are of a higher level intellectually based on their comedian of choice. These people also seem to feel they can generalise and insult those who enjoy comedians who don't fit into the cool and contemporary type that the critics seem to adore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

She is funny to people within a 15 mile radius of O'Connell bridge. Thankfully RTE never succumbed to it, although they are within the radius. The anti-knack shields they've had up for 80 years are working well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,084 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

retalivity wrote: »
    She is funny to people within a 15 mile radius of O'Connell bridge. Thankfully RTE never succumbed to it, although they are within the radius. The anti-knack shields they've had up for 80 years are working well

She appears on "funny Friday" as I mentioned before I tuned on once to hear her tell a joke the details of which I forget but the jist was about how really narrow things can obstruct the vision of people from China. And the word "slanty" was mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

She appears on "funny Friday" as I mentioned before I tuned on once to hear her tell a joke the details of which I forget but the jist was about how really narrow things can obstruct the vision of people from China. And the word "slanty" was mentioned

I really like her Oliver Bond character

liam7831 wrote: »
    I really like her Oliver Bond character

Sure, ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

1500+ posts on this topic ****ing hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

retalivity wrote: »

And unlike Damo and Ivor, she doesn't have a multi millionaire daddy to pay for production costs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

anyone who classes themselves as a comedian from the entire cast of ‘young offenders’ on Netflix can fit in nicely here, eye gouging muck accompanied by the most unwitty dialogue topped off with ear piercing cork accents...utter shįte. got through 15 minutes of horror and would gladly do an omnibus back to back mrs. browns boys 2 hour specials than 30 seconds more of that.

ROAAAR wrote: »
    1500+ posts on this topic ****ing hell

And wonder what % of them mention a certain character played by an O'Carroll man dressed as a woman!

And our favourite comedy show is on once again tonight in 15 minutes on RTE 1!!!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I seem to remember O Carroll lost a lot of money on a movie he was directing late 90's ish and that never got finished. Something about gangland, might not have been a comedy. No wonder he milked MBB for all it's worth to pay off his creditors.

I seem to remember O Carroll lost a lot of money on a movie he was directing late 90's ish and that never got finished. Something about gangland, might not have been a comedy. No wonder he milked MBB for all it's worth to pay off his creditors.

'The Sparrows Trap' and also ' Agnes Browne' the latter he was supposed to direct, but after selling a ton of stuff, and remortgaging the house he was broke. Anjelica Huston bought the rights to AB, and directed the movie herself. Saved him going bankrupt. I think it was one of the catalysts in his first marriage ending. Huston loves Ireland, wanted to do a film here, after that movie she made with her dad John and Irish actor Donal McCann.

Sparrows Trap was proof he didn't learn from the first gamble. Gambled again, lost heavy. That was about a boxer, played by O'Carroll, named Sparrow. Now, I only have the gyst of the story, but essentially he missed out on his big moment. In a prize winning fight, because he wouldn't finish his opponent. Then the guy he was fighting made a recovery, and won the fight,got his second wind and finished Sparrow winning the boxing match.
    That part of the story i know for certain, the rest is a loose retelling or vague... on my part. He shot a few scenes, of a funeral, and the plan was that he had to rally the community against a gangster he was working for. O'Carroll published the script as a book.

But funding ran out, people were left unpaid, I think the negative of what was filmed is held by the studio, since O'Carroll didn't pay em.
    You can still find articles about it. (Feel free to fix the url, I'm typing on a tablet rn)

https://books.google.ie/books/about/Sparrow_s_Trap.html?id=6qPBAAAACAAJ&redir_esc=y&hl=en

Bejaysas. I hope that Islamic Imam lad was updated on Tommy Tiernan's attitude to religion - something about a cross on the Late Late about 20 years ago, for instance! - before he agreed to be interviewed on tonight's show (on RTÉ 1 this moment).

Tiernan's first question: explain the hat!

He has the oddest style of interviewing. Not bad, but different. When he's asking questions he's looking down on the floor or straight ahead of him rather than at his guest. The only people I've ever seen who do that have autism. Actually, he's quite good at interviewing. There are very serious questions being asked amid the laughter and he has enough cop-on to let the guest reveal themselves without constant interruption. His accent is still a breath of fresh air, colour and wildness amid all the boring D4 accents on RTÉ.

This clip (from 3:10) from Tiernan on the Late Late Show sometime in the 1990s explaining what he did in Galway for 8 years is hilarious (and yes, that's a very young looking Louis Walsh next to him, and Tommy was a bit of a looker in his day):

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Bejaysas. I hope that Islamic Imam lad was updated on Tommy Tiernan's attitude to religion - something about a cross on the Late Late about 20 years ago, for instance! - before he agreed to be interviewed on tonight's show (on RTÉ 1 this moment).

He has the oddest style of interviewing. Not bad, but different. When he's asking questions he's looking down on the floor or straight ahead of him rather than at his guest. The only people I've ever seen who do that have autism. Actually, he's quite good at interviewing. There are very serious questions being asked amid the laughter and he has enough cop-on to let the guest reveal themselves without constant interruption. His accent is still a breath of fresh air, colour and wildness amid all the boring D4 accents on RTÉ.

This clip (from 3:10) from Tiernan on the Late Late Show sometime in the 1990s explaining what he did in Galway for 8 years is hilarious (and yes, that's a very young looking Louis Walsh next to him, and Tommy was a bit of a looker in his day):

I only caught the interview with Fionnula Flanagan. Awful. Words fail me. As they did Tiernan, who was so flummoxed that at one point all the could manage was a done-to-death "if Jesus were here now..." platitude. And what the hell was the "Do you carry a sadness around with you?" question about? It sounded like he's trying to channel Yates and Kavanagh, pretentious drivel.

Thought Tiernan was better than this.

It's a shame they don't have his 'lamb of God' sketch online-it's been so rarely shown, and it's a damn shame it wasn't put somewhere (if anyone finds it, please share).

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭weadick

sightband wrote: »
    anyone who classes themselves as a comedian from the entire cast of ‘young offenders’ on Netflix can fit in nicely here, eye gouging muck accompanied by the most unwitty dialogue topped off with ear piercing cork accents...utter shįte. got through 15 minutes of horror and would gladly do an omnibus back to back mrs. browns boys 2 hour specials than 30 seconds more of that.

Yeah although the two main young actors were very good I have to agree that film was very dodgy overall, especially that PJ Gallagher character. The thing is rather than being panned that movie was widely acclaimed in the media and the bbc are even turning it into a series. It's always the same with Irish tv shows or movies. If something Irish gets released and it isn't absolute tosh then people just go totally over the top in praising it, to the point where it gets lauded as some sort of masterpiece (Love/Hate being an obvious recent example).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

weadick wrote: »
    Yeah although the two main young actors were very good I have to agree that film was very dodgy overall, especially that PJ Gallagher character. The thing is rather than being panned that movie was widely acclaimed in the media and the bbc are even turning it into a series. It's always the same with Irish tv shows or movies. If something Irish gets released and it isn't absolute tosh then people just go totally over the top in praising it, to the point where it gets lauded as some sort of masterpiece (Love/Hate being an obvious recent example).

I enjoyed the young offenders film I just took it for what it was: light-hearted stuff.
    Never got into love hate I could not take it seriously.

Each to thier own I suppose.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Just found out yer man in the McConnells "Chips curry" ad is one third of Foil Hog and Arms. I hated them enough without knowing that.

Just found out yer man in the McConnells "Chips curry" ad is one third of Foil Hog and Arms. I hated them enough without knowing that.

A bit late to the party there...most of them have done other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

jooksavage wrote: »
    I only caught the interview with Fionnula Flanagan. Awful. Words fail me. As they did Tiernan, who was so flummoxed that at one point all the could manage was a done-to-death "if Jesus were here now..." platitude. And what the hell was the "Do you carry a sadness around with you?" question about? It sounded like he's trying to channel Yates and Kavanagh, pretentious drivel.

Thought Tiernan was better than this.

Tiernan is an enigma. Terribly unfunny 'shouty man' type yet he's revered as a comedic genius here. He INCESSANTLY laughs at his own jokes, gets very annoying. Wasn't off TV all over Christmas. Watched some of his specials crooked man and the one outdoors in Cork etc. Couldn't find him funny.

Long ass meandering stories that don't go anywhere, throw in some SHOUTING LIKE THIS, few bible references, few bits about Irish folk not knowing what to do with money and laugh your way to the bank.

Biggest chancer Ireland ever had.

Even the interviewing show. Cringe!.

Also whats with the birds nest on his head, think with all his money he's swindled from people with no taste he could afford to cut or at least groom that grey bald bush on his head.

Scruffy bum. :(

Advertisement