Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Just seen Jason Byrne is a judge on Irelands got talent. How insulting is that!. Imagine you had a talented son or daughter on it being judged by that talentless manchild twit.

As others pointed out hes so desperarely unfunny he dressed as Will Ferrells elf on the late late to try and pathetically force a laugh at Christmas.

Truly amazing hes a judge. Hasnt started the show and its already a joke. Not a funny one mind!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

What an unrelentingly negative and mean-spirited thread. If you don’t like a particular comedian then don’t listen to them. This is spectacularly easy to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

If you don't like a thread, don't read it and don't post in it. It's easy to do that too.

What an unrelentingly negative and mean-spirited thread. If you don’t like a particular comedian then don’t listen to them. This is spectacularly easy to do.

I listen to some to see if there is ANY funny stuff there. Give them a whirl if you will. Like I did with Tiernan. Nope all crap. I find this thread ten times funnier than these "comedians".

As Jericholic said who's forcing you to watch this thread either?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,084 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Tiernan is an enigma. Terribly unfunny 'shouty man' type yet he's revered as a comedic genius here. He INCESSANTLY laughs at his own jokes, gets very annoying. Wasn't off TV all over Christmas. Watched some of his specials crooked man and the one outdoors in Cork etc. Couldn't find him funny.

Long ass meandering stories that don't go anywhere, throw in some SHOUTING LIKE THIS, few bible references, few bits about Irish folk not knowing what to do with money and laugh your way to the bank.

Biggest chancer Ireland ever had.

Even the interviewing show. Cringe!.

Also whats with the birds nest on his head, think with all his money he's swindled from people with no taste he could afford to cut or at least groom that grey bald bush on his head.

Scruffy bum. :(

I like Tommy, however I was always amused to hear irish people address him as an international comedian when he in infact a popular LOCAL comedian, he said himself he isn;t going to bother touring abroad anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭acequion

Totally agree. It took all of five idle minutes to look through this thread and find it incredibly nasty and personal. And the "you don't have to read it" argument is no excuse.

There's nothing personal in this thread. If anyone puts themselves in the public eye they are 100% open to criticism. You can't have it any other way.

acequion wrote: »
    Totally agree. It took all of five idle minutes to look through this thread and find it incredibly nasty and personal. And the "you don't have to read it" argument is no excuse.

Ah sur we are only balancing the scales, you do realize many of these 'comedians' have been rude and belittling to audience members, people whom have paid to see them no less?. So think of it as Karma in a odd way!. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Hardy Bucks. WTF was that all about :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

The Hardy Bucks. WTF was that all about :confused:

Thought it was a doumentary about bogger no?

• Advertisement

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Thought it was a doumentary about bogger no?

Nowhere fast same idea except the cast is female. Same circus different clowns. RTE will reguritate same shyt over and over ad finitum.

Owen Colgan and Viper are a good follow on Facebook. Actually funny for real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

If you don't like a thread, don't read it and don't post in it. It's easy to do that too.

Nah. It's amazing how absolutely fanatical some people are in their hatred of people trying to make people laugh.

There are people in this thread who'll die of tumours that've metastasized around their hatred for comics they don't find funny.

There's nothing personal in this thread. If anyone puts themselves in the public eye they are 100% open to criticism. You can't have it any other way.

It is incredibly personal. Post after post people are making very personal statements.

Are they allowed? Yes. Is it absurd to feel this way about someone over their sense of humour? Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Has Alison Spittle been mentioned?

Jaaaaaaaysis like! So bad.

Has Alison Spittle been mentioned?

Jaaaaaaaysis like! So bad.

Yes many many times. Hall of famer on this thread.
    A big fat ignoramus slob is what some might call her.
    I never would, wrong to judge appearances. I Just think shes painfully unfunny.

Nah. It's amazing how absolutely fanatical some people are in their hatred of people trying to make people laugh.

There are people in this thread who'll die of tumours that've metastasized around their hatred for comics they don't find funny.

It is incredibly personal. Post after post people are making very personal statements.

Are they allowed? Yes. Is it absurd to feel this way about someone over their sense of humour? Yes.

Personal statements about public figures? Read nearly every other thread on boards and you'll see the same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Nowhere fast same idea except the cast is female. Same circus different clowns. RTE will reguritate same shyt over and over ad finitum.

Hardy Bucks can be funny at times. The two series have nothing in common other than they're both not set in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

darkdubh wrote: »
    Hardy Bucks can be funny at times. The two series have nothing in common other than they're both not set in Dublin.

Tried to like it-but Spittle is a bad actress. The rest of the cast are cookie cutter cliches-the 'randy' friend is a nurse, etc. (Btw, would she not have violated patient confidentiality in the first episode? I mean, the abortion joke surely falls under that. She was thick enough to say it in front of people too).

Personal statements about public figures? Read nearly every other thread on boards and you'll see the same thing.

It's different for comedy. No other form of entertainment has brought these levels of hatred across the board. Notable personalities in an industry might be hated but it's not nearly every known performer.

There's something in the Irish consciousness(more so than anywhere else, the UK probably isn't too far behind) that triggers us when we don't find someone funny.

It's more than merely putting themselves in the public eye.

If they get a gig on RTE, we pay for it. So we are perfectly entitled to express an opinion, and "what a waste of money, they're desperate" is a valid one.

• Advertisement

It's different for comedy. No other form of entertainment has brought these levels of hatred across the board. Notable personalities in an industry might be hated but it's not nearly every known performer.

There's something in the Irish consciousness(more so than anywhere else, the UK probably isn't too far behind) that triggers us when we don't find someone funny.

it's the same as somebody getting abuse because they are failing at their job, most public facing occupations have to put up with it.

If they get a gig on RTE, we pay for it. So we are perfectly entitled to express an opinion, and "what a waste of money, they're desperate" is a valid one.

Sure, but a lot of the names mentioned here wouldn't be RTE's darlings. And the criticism when they are sucking the publics teat isn't 'they've wasted tax payer money', it's gut revulsion.

I think people would benefit from examining why they dislike someone, especially someone trying to make people laugh.

If a comedian is being ignorant or saying something that insults your view on life, that's one thing. You can find someone unfunny and talk about it critically without dragging him personally, as people have this entire thread... It says a lot about people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I agree. We are all paying RTE's bills, salaries and profitmaking. I have no objection to anyone being on it even those who do not do a thing for me BUT I do not like seeing particular individuals and styles of comedy, music, etc. promoted and other things ignored. Everyone should get a chance and 'comedians' such as PJ Gallagher, Lee Matthews, Al Porter, (too much of) Mrs Brown, Oliver Callan, etc. are useless or are forced on us nonstop until we are browned off forgive the pun! Gallagher's candid camera stuff is just Jeremy Beadle done poor, Matthews' stupid songs are in no way funny, Porter and Brown rely 100% on crudity and Callan's politician imitations are overdone at this stage. Meanwhile, others are neglected. Others who are paying their TV tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

I like the way you conflate 'criticism' with personal abuse.

I agree. We are all paying RTE's bills, salaries and profitmaking. I have no objection to anyone being on it even those who do not do a thing for me BUT I do not like seeing particular individuals and styles of comedy, music, etc. promoted and other things ignored. Everyone should get a chance and 'comedians' such as PJ Gallagher, Lee Matthews, Al Porter, (too much of) Mrs Brown, Oliver Callan, etc. are useless or are forced on us nonstop until we are browned off forgive the pun! Gallagher's candid camera stuff is just Jeremy Beadle done poor, Matthews' stupid songs are in no way funny, Porter and Brown rely 100% on crudity and Callan's politician imitations are overdone at this stage. Meanwhile, others are neglected. Others who are paying their TV tax.

Which others? give a few examples so I can understand who you do feel deserves to be on the TV.

Dannyriver wrote: »

Show me one example where I personally abused anyone.

Show me one example where I personally abused anyone.

Show me where I said you did.

Dannyriver wrote: »

I'd like to throw some personal abuse at jarlath oregan after his Ray darcy interview yesterday... Can't believe he's a comedian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I'd like to throw some personal abuse at jarlath oregan after his Ray darcy interview yesterday... Can't believe he's a comedian

I hadn't heard it until you mentioned it, but checked it out on the basis of your post.

My God what a load of tosh he came out with. You can tell you're not a great comedian when you rely on some sort of quasi-political rally as the backbone to the show. I bet the feminist material is just side splitting.

His next show is going to be about "sexual misconduct.......and the need for men to change".........:cool:

Some other nuggets from our boy Jarleth:

Apparently "Friends" is in his crosshairs, because apparently the characters were dismissive of the female characters and their reading of a feminist book. "it's not OK anymore.......and that's a good thing"......**** off!

"I think it's wonderful that comedy now has to hold itself to a better standard, we've moved on, and it's better for it"....well I tell you now Jarleth, comedy is absolutely not the better for it. There are practically zero good comedy shows or films out, and while there are a plethora of stand-up comedians, they are almost exclusively all of the same bland, PC-bro, don't rock the boat, "I hate Brexit, I hate Trump" boring comedy. They are all crap. Friends is obviously too controversial for the kids these days, what with their attempts to reflect characters as something other than bland, faceless robots, but they all least tried some jokes, you know, comedy?

The coup de grace though was his comment was that "if you think you're blameless (about the theme of sexual harassment of women)...........then you're part of the problem". What is this Jarlath, some sort of shame circle tactic used by a cult leader? The tactic is to give the person answering the question of nowhere to go but caving in and agreeing. It's that sort of empty, no-argument point that I hope people start properly fighting back against.

He mentioned that his feminist/"Men need to start behaving better around women" material wasn't well received by men. Well that's a surprise Jarlath!

So the general impression I got from the interview was that his show goes something along the lines of this:

Part 1: Goes into detail about his donation of a kidney to his brother. Commendable, noble, important, but yeah I dare say there are few people left on the island you haven't told you've done this to. There might be some jokes in there too if you're lucky.

Part 2: The feminist/"men be better" stuff, which I'm sure will have them ROFLing in the aisles

Part 3: Build up to the finish with the one actual joke he has prepared for the evening, safe in the knowledge that the "I'm a really good guy" act has been well and truly established in the previous hour or so.

End: 2 stars.

Tickets still available if anyone wants to catch his show the day of the show.....can't say I was shocked by that.

I'm sure Regan is a nice enough guy but he's so far into the projection of an image of being the ally, the good guy, the right side of history yadda yadda yadda, that he really can't be relied upon to be taken seriously. Worst of all, he's not funny either, particularly if that material is anything to go by.

• Advertisement

ligerdub wrote: »
    I hadn't heard it until you mentioned it, but checked it out on the basis of your post.

My God what a load of tosh he came out with. You can tell you're not a great comedian when you rely on some sort of quasi-political rally as the backbone to the show. I bet the feminist material is just side splitting.

His next show is going to be about "sexual misconduct.......and the need for men to change".........:cool:

Some other nuggets from our boy Jarleth:

Apparently "Friends" is in his crosshairs, because apparently the characters were dismissive of the female characters and their reading of a feminist book. "it's not OK anymore.......and that's a good thing"......**** off!

"I think it's wonderful that comedy now has to hold itself to a better standard, we've moved on, and it's better for it"....well I tell you now Jarleth, comedy is absolutely not the better for it. There are practically zero good comedy shows or films out, and while there are a plethora of stand-up comedians, they are almost exclusively all of the same bland, PC-bro, don't rock the boat, "I hate Brexit, I hate Trump" boring comedy. They are all crap. Friends is obviously too controversial for the kids these days, what with their attempts to reflect characters as something other than bland, faceless robots, but they all least tried some jokes, you know, comedy?

The coup de grace though was his comment was that "if you think you're blameless (about the theme of sexual harassment of women)...........then you're part of the problem". What is this Jarlath, some sort of shame circle tactic used by a cult leader? The tactic is to give the person answering the question of nowhere to go but caving in and agreeing. It's that sort of empty, no-argument point that I hope people start properly fighting back against.

He mentioned that his feminist/"Men need to start behaving better around women" material wasn't well received by men. Well that's a surprise Jarlath!

So the general impression I got from the interview was that his show goes something along the lines of this:

Part 1: Goes into detail about his donation of a kidney to his brother. Commendable, noble, important, but yeah I dare say there are few people left on the island you haven't told you've done this to. There might be some jokes in there too if you're lucky.

Part 2: The feminist/"men be better" stuff, which I'm sure will have them ROFLing in the aisles

Part 3: Build up to the finish with the one actual joke he has prepared for the evening, safe in the knowledge that the "I'm a really good guy" act has been well and truly established in the previous hour or so.

End: 2 stars.

Tickets still available if anyone wants to catch his show the day of the show.....can't say I was shocked by that.

I'm sure Regan is a nice enough guy but he's so far into the projection of an image of being the ally, the good guy, the right side of history yadda yadda yadda, that he really can't be relied upon to be taken seriously. Worst of all, he's not funny either, particularly if that material is anything to go by.

great post, i've had very little to say other than making people aware of the podcast, because we're in an age where i almost don't know what i can say or not!! I've seen this guys standup only as a support act and it consisted of him going "ya know when us lads used to do this and that" and me sitting there thinking..."no...i don't relate to this you or your friends hilarity at all.."..his final joke of one night was that old one where you kick your shoe off and catch it like a phone and talk to it.....tommy cooper would cringe...

as for Friends....cmon dude..Friends??? Friends is what it is , a snapshot of the 90's mainstream that's so harmless it's beamed around the world 24/7 like only fools and horses...

What next for oregan...a campaign to delete the master tapes of 70's racist sitcom "love thy neighbour?" a campaign to have knopfler rewrite money for nothing?

the pod cast lasts only 9 mins and my knuckles were white on the steering wheel.

Anyway Men and women out there....if you're good people DONT CHANGE , YOURE NOT PART OF ANY PROBLEM YOURE AWESOME

Advertisement