Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

ligerdub wrote: »
    I hadn't heard it until you mentioned it, but checked it out on the basis of your post.

My God what a load of tosh he came out with. You can tell you're not a great comedian when you rely on some sort of quasi-political rally as the backbone to the show. I bet the feminist material is just side splitting.

His next show is going to be about "sexual misconduct.......and the need for men to change".........:cool:

Some other nuggets from our boy Jarleth:

Apparently "Friends" is in his crosshairs, because apparently the characters were dismissive of the female characters and their reading of a feminist book. "it's not OK anymore.......and that's a good thing"......**** off!

"I think it's wonderful that comedy now has to hold itself to a better standard, we've moved on, and it's better for it"....well I tell you now Jarleth, comedy is absolutely not the better for it. There are practically zero good comedy shows or films out, and while there are a plethora of stand-up comedians, they are almost exclusively all of the same bland, PC-bro, don't rock the boat, "I hate Brexit, I hate Trump" boring comedy. They are all crap. Friends is obviously too controversial for the kids these days, what with their attempts to reflect characters as something other than bland, faceless robots, but they all least tried some jokes, you know, comedy?

The coup de grace though was his comment was that "if you think you're blameless (about the theme of sexual harassment of women)...........then you're part of the problem". What is this Jarlath, some sort of shame circle tactic used by a cult leader? The tactic is to give the person answering the question of nowhere to go but caving in and agreeing. It's that sort of empty, no-argument point that I hope people start properly fighting back against.

He mentioned that his feminist/"Men need to start behaving better around women" material wasn't well received by men. Well that's a surprise Jarlath!

So the general impression I got from the interview was that his show goes something along the lines of this:

Part 1: Goes into detail about his donation of a kidney to his brother. Commendable, noble, important, but yeah I dare say there are few people left on the island you haven't told you've done this to. There might be some jokes in there too if you're lucky.

Part 2: The feminist/"men be better" stuff, which I'm sure will have them ROFLing in the aisles

Part 3: Build up to the finish with the one actual joke he has prepared for the evening, safe in the knowledge that the "I'm a really good guy" act has been well and truly established in the previous hour or so.

End: 2 stars.

Tickets still available if anyone wants to catch his show the day of the show.....can't say I was shocked by that.

I'm sure Regan is a nice enough guy but he's so far into the projection of an image of being the ally, the good guy, the right side of history yadda yadda yadda, that he really can't be relied upon to be taken seriously. Worst of all, he's not funny either, particularly if that material is anything to go by.

He was once a funny guy-then he started to preach, instead of being a comic. And he donated a kidney to his brother, and now he thinks he is Jesus. Jarlath's never been a major comic, but if he carries on like this, he's gonna lose what little fandom he has.

I would disagree entirely that comedy has become 'politically correct' to its detriment-because PC comedians don't sell. Much of those who are going P.C are losing audiences and sales. Across all media.

Those who are constantly being told 'you can't say that' are now rebelling, and saying it much louder. Daniel Tosh came back fighting harder when feminists denounced him for making jokes about rape. He's getting massive audiences.
    Dave Chappelle gets the usual folks denouncing him for using words like 'tranny'. Well, his netflix special sold like hotcakes. The people who scream loudest are not the ones who spend money on this stuff. If you start telling people to 'conform' then boom-they won't. One could even argue Obama saying 'I'm a feminist' paved the way for Trump.

There is still some incredibly crude and rude comedy out there. It's proven time and time again that audiences want to see it. The Inbetweeners may have ended 8 years ago, but the repeats never lose audiences. South Park has never aimed to be politically correct, it's why it's gone on for so long.
    I was surprised how 'Derry Girls', while not as crude as Inbetweeners, still managed to go against the grain-it made a darn funny joke about abortion that Alison Spittle could only dream about writing.

Check out comedy on youtube-there's some great comedians out there with some really un-PC stand-up out there. Political Correctness tends to strangle itself. For example.
    https://twitter.com/datnofact/status/952173984799428609

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Brendan Grace

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

That awful show give my head peace is back on again on Friday, yeeuch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

"Deedle doodle dee whar aboo ye deedle"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

How is that even possible?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

It hasn't gone away you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Jason Byrne. A big shouty eejit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,084 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

How is that even possible?

Following on the success of derry girls we bring you.... Give my head peace

Actually Kevin McAleers cameo in Derry girls this week was sheer genius

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭poo poo

That woman comedian - you know the one - she is dirt!

This lad is actually famous

It's the kind of video a 6 year old girl would make.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

This lad is actually famous

It's the kind of video a 6 year old girl would make.

The description.

The Snapchat star glamorously shows how to properly recycling

Maybe I'm showing my age here but isn't Snapchat that thing where skangers superimpose cartoon dogs ears and noses onto their FB profile photo? How the fcuk does that have "stars"?

Following on the success of derry girls we bring you.... Give my head peace

Actually Kevin McAleers cameo in Derry girls this week was sheer genius

That show is a wonderful surprise-could never happen on Rte. And the girls are easy on the eye, and you don't feel guilty cos they're in their 20s and 30s.
    The description.

The Snapchat star glamorously shows how to properly recycling

Maybe I'm showing my age here but isn't Snapchat that thing where skangers superimpose cartoon dogs ears and noses onto their FB profile photo? How the fcuk does that have "stars"?

I sort of think he's become, or is trying to become Rte's new 'go to gay'. Like Al Porter is in the doghouse, hopefully forever, so now rte will be looking for a new young gay guy who appeals. The only problem is they always choose an annoying prat who they think is popular with the yoof.

Like, there was another gay youtuber who was everywhere during the marriage referendum, and him and that ginger youtuber and someone else were on the LLS at one point. He vanished, so Kavanagh is trying his hand now.

That ****ing crap with the bin on the LLS was a steaming turd of a vomit inducing segment that has me searching for new words to denounce it.

And yet Tubridy's interview with Sean Spicer still managed to be more painful.
    Spicer got a ton of my respect however. I may disagree with his politics, but I respect how he dealt with Tubridy.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

That show is a wonderful surprise-could never happen on Rte. And the girls are easy on the eye, and you don't feel guilty cos they're in their 20s and 30s.

I sort of think he's become, or is trying to become Rte's new 'go to gay'. Like Al Porter is in the doghouse, hopefully forever, so now rte will be looking for a new young gay guy who appeals. The only problem is they always choose an annoying prat who they think is popular with the yoof.

Like, there was another gay youtuber who was everywhere during the marriage referendum, and him and that ginger youtuber and someone else were on the LLS at one point. He vanished, so Kavanagh is trying his hand now.

That ****ing crap with the bin on the LLS was a steaming turd of a vomit inducing segment that has me searching for new words to denounce it.

And yet Tubridy's interview with Sean Spicer still managed to be more painful.
    Spicer got a ton of my respect however. I may disagree with his politics, but I respect how he dealt with Tubridy.

I'd nearly prefer having Porter back over seeing more of this new gobshyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jarlath Regan is a comedian? I thought he was just a podcast host!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

razorblunt wrote: »
    Jarlath Regan is a comedian? I thought he was just a podcast host!

He tried his hand at it for years then re invented himself as a podcast host. I actually am a fan of the podcast it’s a decent listen. I suspect his aim is to become an RTÉ personality.

He tried his hand at it for years then re invented himself as a podcast host. I actually am a fan of the podcast it’s a decent listen. I suspect his aim is to become an RTÉ personality.

His comedy wasn't bad. He has some really good old material. Podcast was good too, far better than Des Bishops, but thats not hard. Alisson Spittle's got a podcast too, but it's Louise O'Neil and company, so i don't listen to to it to avoid sheer rage.

I haven't listened to Jalath's his podcast recently tho.

The feminism thinking has gotten toxic and ridiculous, all for 'likes'. Example from a book editor.

https://twitter.com/andykhouri/status/952641728120369152?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Doubt that very much there is no money in RTE these days. Newbies get paid a pittance on dubious short term contracts.

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Doubt that very much there is no money in RTE these days. Newbies get paid a pittance on dubious short term contracts.

He was also a tv presenter for a while, on young RTE programs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Had his own show on TV3, and one time he had on Karl Spain. Spain was far more capable at comedy than he was. Whelan used to do Terry Wogan impressions, which was only skill-until Wogan upped and died on him.
    He did have one good joke about the difference between Eircom league (as it was then) and Premiere league players pay packets.
    But that's it.

Whats even more depressing, the more you think about it-is a lot of comedians were influenced by the comics who came before. The comedians starting out now will probably be influenced by the comedians they are seeing, especially those of the last 5 years or so. So when you see bad comedians, you know they are influencing bad comics who come after. Like a never ending crappy circle. It's like if bad music influences more bad music-it's gonna be a never ending cycle of bad music.

Worse than Spain? He must have been woeful.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Worse than Spain? He must have been woeful.

He was and still is-Spain could adlib or improvise. Dermot looked like a deer in headlights at times.

• Advertisement

saw the episode of Extras with Ricky playing the part of a Camp genie in an Aladdin panto, it's very funny considering how the world has changed since then and the al porter thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Bit torn on this one, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I'm not sure she qualifies as a comedian, and I don't mean that as an insult to her, and secondly, because from what I've seen of her in her regular persona I wouldn't classify her as unfunny.

Be that as it may I have to nominate this as a potential entrant. The show itself is only a 9 minute feature of RTE player, but sure as anything else I'm sure we'll all be hearing of the "popular demand" for this to be made into a full series.

Anyway, the show itself is the "Doireann Project" by Doireann Garrihy. It's essentially an impressions based sketch show of famous RTE personalities and Irish cliches. Pippa O'Connor, Saoirse Ronan, Irish Mammy at the schoolgates yadda yadda yadda.

I know I'm not the target audience here, and the "yoof" have different tastes, but surely there is an element of honing your craft first before doing something like this, even if it's only a popup vid online.

For something like this the impressions have to be spot on (not just good), and the material has to be good too, I don't think either of those are true in this case. It's just the lazy cliched jokes that RTE seem obsessed with, obligatory reference to Coppers (when did that place become the Mecca of Irish culture?) for example.

I'm not sure why we've been bestowed with this anyway, it smacks of some sort of nepotism from the sister from somebody on the payroll, or who knows the right people at least. The bar for getting exposure on national TV if you're in comedy or have a youtube channel must be close to the floor. It's the same as that Cian Twomey lad, who I honestly think is the worst comedy act that I've ever seen. At first glance I thought he was a parody of a bad comedy act, and that was the joke.....I was wrong.

Anyway, enough of that, here's a sample clip of what I'm on about originally.

Bit torn on this one, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I'm not sure she qualifies as a comedian, and I don't mean that as an insult to her, and secondly, because from what I've seen of her in her regular persona I wouldn't classify her as unfunny.

Be that as it may I have to nominate this as a potential entrant. The show itself is only a 9 minute feature of RTE player, but sure as anything else I'm sure we'll all be hearing of the "popular demand" for this to be made into a full series.

Anyway, the show itself is the "Doireann Project" by Doireann Garrihy. It's essentially an impressions based sketch show of famous RTE personalities and Irish cliches. Pippa O'Connor, Saoirse Ronan, Irish Mammy at the schoolgates yadda yadda yadda.

I know I'm not the target audience here, and the "yoof" have different tastes, but surely there is an element of honing your craft first before doing something like this, even if it's only a popup vid online.

For something like this the impressions have to be spot on (not just good), and the material has to be good too, I don't think either of those are true in this case. It's just the lazy cliched jokes that RTE seem obsessed with, obligatory reference to Coppers (when did that place become the Mecca of Irish culture?) for example.

I'm not sure why we've been bestowed with this anyway, it smacks of some sort of nepotism from the sister from somebody on the payroll, or who knows the right people at least. The bar for getting exposure on national TV if you're in comedy or have a youtube channel must be close to the floor. It's the same as that Cian Twomey lad, who I honestly think is the worst comedy act that I've ever seen. At first glance I thought he was a parody of a bad comedy act, and that was the joke.....I was wrong.

It's like primary school footage unearthed to embarrass a grown up comedian on a mid evening talk show.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Powerfairy

It's like primary school footage unearthed to embarrass a grown up comedian on a mid evening talk show.

I really like Doireann to follow on Snapchat etc, she is funny on it, and comes across really lovely, so I was looking forward to seeing her 9 minute RTE Player slot. I thought it was god awful, And I genuinely am a big fan of hers.

Then I went on to twitter to see what the consensus was, and everyone was saying how great it was. So it appears I am very much the minority, I think she could have done a lot better, as she is very talented / witty / likeable etc. I Found the whole thing very cringe. But the masses of fans of hers, on twitter have told her its great. So no doubt it will become a series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

RTE/The Sindo and various other outlets are lugging the hell out of The Garrihys for some reason lately. They're above-average looking sure (Note: I don't fancy them, but they're not ugly per se), but I'm not sure what "talent" they possess bar being Barry Egan's fantasy 3/4someone (depending on whether you include Ailbhe). Doireann works for Spin at the moment btw.

I dealt with one of them in a work capacity and she wasn't offensive or rude or anything like that, but there wasn't anything of substance there tbh. Just my opinion.....

I suspect you're likely right though and it'll be on RTE 2 shortly.

Oh and Fiona Looney co-wrote it.......so there you are!

Oh and Fiona Looney co-wrote it.......so there you are!

Oh well there you go, renowned critically acclaimed comedy writer. What does she even do apart from talk on the radio?

Oh well there you go, renowned critically acclaimed comedy writer. What does she even do apart from talk on the radio?

Journalist, writes a few plays (one about the Garth Brooks concert debacle). Professional talking head mostly.

A play about Garth Brookes fans embarrassing the entire country?

It must be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

A play about Garth Brookes fans embarrassing the entire country?

It must be amazing.

"Starring" Maclean Burke of Fair City "fame".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

Doireann Garrihy, is she meant to be funny

Advertisement