Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It's never been this pathetic. People have no coping skills anymore, when these man babies step away from their computers and into the real world they'll be in for some awakening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

It's never been this pathetic. People have no coping skills anymore, when these man babies step away from their computers and into the real world they'll be in for some awakening.

I'd say it's the same-Tommy Tiernan couldn't leave the RTE building one time due to the backlash against one of his standups. He had to sleep in the building.

Most of those 'crying' on social media do just that-crying. It's not a good gauge for people. they whine about something, but do nothing about it. They are similar in reality (I've met a few).

The likes of those kids protesting the NRA in the US is a good reminder that there are some people out there with Chutzpah, it's just the annoying bints are the ones who shout loudest, whilst doing nothing.

I note SNL did another parody of Ireland, this time in the form of a dating show. The usual sensitive folks are complaining, personally I found it funny. If the now infamous The Simpson's St Patrick's Day parody of Ireland aired now, they'd go insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,656 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I see Allison Spittle has a new show;

Allison’s Spittle’s Culchie Club

I take it the other show flopped then? (I didn’t watch it)

The Culchie Club, hilarity shall ensue...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

She's about as funny as a drowning cat. Horrendous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Nowhere Fast did very well - good reviews and ratings. I read somewhere that there will be a second series. I think this is just a one-off documentary.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Nowhere Fast did very well - good reviews and ratings. I read somewhere that there will be a second series. I think this is just a one-off documentary.

Proper reviews or the likes of Lon gushing over it on Twitter? I didn't watch it, I saw some of her standup on YT which was enough to convince me that that she hasn't a funny bone in her body.

Proper reviews or the likes of Lon gushing over it on Twitter? I didn't watch it, I saw some of her standup on YT which was enough to convince me that that she hasn't a funny bone in her body.

Proper reviews - Irish Times and Independent. I've seen her a few times and found her very funny.

Well, she has said she's gearing up for another series-but RTE hasn't commissioned it.

Young Offenders and Derry Girls (not rte) have been commissioned for another series, but no word about Spittle's show.
    I know Can't cope has also been commissioned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

An awful, awful show. Any 'comedy' show on RTE that depicts people from the midlands portrays all its characters as uneducated, nosy simpletons, working in menial jobs, and all just living for the weekend so they can get blind pissed and go riding. Oh, and throw in lots of cursing, so the dialogue seems so real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

An awful, awful show. Any 'comedy' show on RTE that depicts people from the midlands portrays all its characters as uneducated, nosy simpletons, working in menial jobs, and all just living for the weekend so they can get blind pissed and go riding. Oh, and throw in lots of cursing, so the dialogue seems so real.

As if the times would bash a programme made by a woman (because they’d have you believe that women have never made a tv show) and as for the indo who thinks Amy Huber man , and vague Williams are the best thing since sliced bread, I wouldn’t take the Irish media to be a fair reviewer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Just briefly saw Jason Byrne on Ireland's Got Problems. He's the absolute dirt worst, as bad as Al Porter on Blind Date. Just the most unfunniest attention seeking try hard I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Just briefly saw Jason Byrne on Ireland's Got Problems. He's the absolute dirt worst, as bad as Al Porter on Blind Date. Just the most unfunniest attention seeking try hard I've ever seen.
    Why do RTE keep giving that little bollix work? :mad:
    Jason Byrne wrestles a grizzly bear is the only time I want to see him on my telly box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

True but alot of people in the midlands like that. If you aren't into GAA and the booze you are an pariah. So many midlands towns dominated now by little more than pubs and bookies and maybe 1 or 2 shiťty nightclubs (usually part of a hotel)
    Many folk are shallow and do live to get polluted drunk at the weekend. The show is for those type of people.

But its a lazy ignorant stereotype.

Jesus, people on here get very angry when you mention that you like something that they don't. Especially if it was made by a woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

Jesus, people on here get very angry when you mention that you like something that they don't. Especially if it was made by a woman.

Do you ever get tired of the contrarian act you do every thread you go in to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I know comedy is subjective but Jason Byrne is just not funny AT ALL. None of my friends and family like him so who out there does :):) Id really like to hear your reasons for liking him?

Do you ever get tired of the contrarian act you do every thread you go in to

Nothing contrarian about saying you liked a very popular show.

gazzer wrote: »
    I know comedy is subjective but Jason Byrne is just not funny AT ALL.

Finally, something that unites everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Glebee

True but alot of people in the midlands like that. If you aren't into GAA and the booze you are an pariah. So many midlands towns dominated now by little more than pubs and bookies and maybe 1 or 2 shiťty nightclubs (usually part of a hotel)
    Many folk are shallow and do live to get polluted drunk at the weekend. The show is for those type of people.

But its a lazy ignorant stereotype.

Reads like a Lonely Planet review, its not that bad down there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,084 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Anyone who thinks alison spittles show was a failure is an idiot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Why do RTE keep giving that little bollix work? :mad:
    Jason Byrne wrestles a grizzly bear is the only time I want to see him on my telly box.

Blindfolded and with his hands tied behind his back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Glebee wrote: »
    Reads like a Lonely Planet review, its not that bad down there..

Haha but its true. I grew up in mindlands and know townland Ireland growing up.
    Towns circa 20-30,000 people.
    Carlow/Portlaoise/Athlone/Mullingar/Offaly/Longford that type.

Of course stuff to do if you join clubs etc but ALOT of townland folk work in dull jobs and drink excessively to forget/remember/drown/ their pains/sorrows manifest out of living in the druddery of midlands Ireland.

These places so vacuous the local "celebrities" are the GAA players who pleash for ta countaaa.

The stereotype based somewhat on truth however embellished from that viewpoint.

Like Wont see RTE portraying all Dubliners as strung out tracksuit wearing howiya's asking for a euro for a hostel for the night.

Why Not?. The stereotype doesnt appeal to the demographic.

I loved Derry Girls- that was really well done.
    Made by a woman.

On the other hand Jason Byrne had a sitcom-something that was so bad, I would call it an abomination before the Lord.

I could sit through a number of episodes of Mrs Brown before I could watch on episode of Byrne's show, or any standup involving him.

Another awful 'comedian' who's name I couldn't remember is a guy called 'Reuben'.
    He's a 'mime' comic-as in makes noises while mimicing actions.

He's absolutely awful-he cracks up at his own jokes. Which aren't even funny.

Case in point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Another awful 'comedian' who's name I couldn't remember is a guy called 'Reuben'.
    He's a 'mime' comic-as in makes noises while mimicing actions.

He's absolutely awful-he cracks up at his own jokes. Which aren't even funny.

Case in point.

So many questions...What in sweet f*ck is that shíte? How or why are people laughing? Where is the humour, what am I missing? Mad man prancing about the stage like a mad man is all I see.

I was at jimmy carrs' last gig here and it was a "greatest hits" gig, basically 1000's of jokes interspersed with presentations on screen...

I observed loads of people over 30 laughing their asses off and loads of people in their 20's looking awkward and feeling guilty about laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I was at jimmy carrs' last gig here and it was a "greatest hits" gig, basically 1000's of jokes interspersed with presentations on screen...

I observed loads of people over 30 laughing their asses off and loads of people in their 20's looking awkward and feeling guilty about laughing.

For the record I think he's ****e. But why did these 20 somethings go to something they weren't in to? And why were you creeping on everyone and not watching the show :D

Hoboo wrote: »
    For the record I think he's ****e. But why did these 20 somethings go to something they weren't in to? And why were you creeping on everyone and not watching the show :D

Ah it got to a point if I heard anything remotely risqué I'd actually look straight at youngsters to watch them tut... Like it was part of the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,485 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

god help them if they ever go to see Frankie Boyle live.

sightband wrote: »
    So many questions...What in sweet f*ck is that shíte? How or why are people laughing? Where is the humour, what am I missing? Mad man prancing about the stage like a mad man is all I see.

He got a gig presenting on RTe as well- RTE jr I think.

He used to pop up in a lot of shows on RTE-I can remember him on Stew (remember that one-bloody awful, so of course it got an Ifta).
    Hoboo wrote: »

That's what I was wondering-I know tons of folks round their age, and younger, who love Carr and Boyle. (Not his latest stuff tho-he's really lost that spark, whatever happened to it I have no idea).
    They sound like people who'd prefer a nice cup of tea, and an episode of Miranda. And you'd be surprised how many folks there are like that.

God, some people are born boring and old aren't they. (Old is a state of mind btw-in case someone gets ticked off at me for saying that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

That's what I was wondering-I know tons of folks round their age, and younger, who love Carr and Boyle. (Not his latest stuff tho-he's really lost that spark, whatever happened to it I have no idea).

The audio recording of his Edinburgh festival gig is brilliant. (Prometheus volume 1)

https://www.frankieboyle.com/prometheus-vol-1/

First few mins are okish, then gets really good. He's still got it.

Advertisement