Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

+10000.

Haha. Its true. The brainwashed PC brigade defend her immediately as shes a poor woman awww God bless. How patronising.
    Meanwhike same folk insult male comedians looks no bother and totally ignorant to the fact she states she allegedly gets scolded by men walking around after her. Her vile looks says otherwise.

This is extraordinary

+10000.

Haha. Its true. The brainwashed PC brigade defend her immediately as shes a poor woman awww God bless. How patronising.
    Meanwhike same folk insult male comedians looks no bother and totally ignorant to the fact she states she allegedly gets scolded by men walking around after her. Her vile looks says otherwise.

To be fair I'd think a man slagging off a male comedians looks would be just as idiotic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

+10000.

To be fair I'd think a man slagging off a male comedians looks would be just as idiotic

People slagging make comedians looks all thread.

Tommy Tiernan- Incoherent Homeless wizard with an unkempt birds nest on his head
    etc

We are untitled to insult them the way they insult audiences and folk in the crowd. Directly and indirectly whith their shyte "comedy".

Give and take.

Tommy Tiernan- Incoherent Homeless wizard with an unkempt birds nest on his head
    etc

We are untitled to insult them the way they insult audiences and folk in the crowd. Directly and indirectly whith their shyte "comedy".

Give and take.

You're entitled alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

etc

Give and take.

You're entitled alright

Yep have to be.

Dont get paid nowhere near enough to come on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Locked for a minute while my ban hammer is recharging. I let it go dead thinking I wouldn't need it tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Sightband and Ash.J.Williams do not post in this thread again upon your returns from your bans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

She apologised the very next morning, as soon as it became apparent that some people were offended.

Here's what she apologised for:

She didn't (see video above).

If she had to apologise, then her material failed. And clearly she felt her material was better than it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

If she had to apologise, then her material failed. And clearly she felt her material was better than it was.

That's not how comedy works.

That's not how comedy works.

Daniel Tosh wrote controversial material about his sister getting raped-he didn't apologise, because his attitude is that 'if the joke is funny, then no subject is off limits'.
    His next standup addressed this-and still no apology.

He continues to make jokes about dark subject matter.

If MAeve couldn't even make a joke about her dog funny, she's in the wrong career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Daniel Tosh wrote controversial material about his sister getting raped-he didn't apologise, because his attitude is that 'if the joke is funny, then no subject is off limits'.
    His next standup addressed this-and still no apology.

He continues to make jokes about dark subject matter.

If MAeve couldn't even make a joke about her dog funny, she's in the wrong career.

It was a funny, whimsical story. The audience laughed. They found it funny. I found it funny. Maybe you didn't, and that's fine too. Some people were offended, so she apologised - because willfully causing offence isn't part of her act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Some of the sh1t I've read here is up there with journal.ie comments.

Disgraceful.

Some of the sh1t I've read here is up there with journal.ie comments.

Disgraceful.

And you took time out of your day to type that? Nothing to add to the conversation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭optogirl

+10000.

Yes it's so PC to think calling someone a fat slag because you don't find her funny is a bit sh*tty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Hector. Does my noggin in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

What was that thing on RTE 2 there around 10.15? Not sure if it was meant to be comedy, culchie something?

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyyesno

Hector. Does my noggin in.

Wouldn't even class him as a comedian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

What was that thing on RTE 2 there around 10.15? Not sure if it was meant to be comedy, culchie something?

That would be "Culchie Club", Alison Spittle's latest stab at comedy. Utter drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Noveight wrote: »
    That would be "Culchie Club", Alison Spittle's latest stab at comedy. Utter drivel.

Yes, found out now what it was! Only for the excellent The Handmaid's Tale being on RTE 2 and wanted to rewatch the final episode, I would not have come across this. I discovered it was on for a whole hour from 9.30-10.30. Comedy or a poor documentary, it was I agree poor. Who is Alison Spittle anyway? Heard the name but that's about it. Maybe I am lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think most of this thread seems to imply if a comedian is irish they are crap, but if they are foreign they are edgy and one for the hipsters...

However, I think the most unfunny comedian regardless of nationality/taste has to be Ed Byrne (who just happens to be Irish).
    How he has a career is beyond me? :confused:

EdByrne_Spoiler_2017_venues_horiz-txt_LO.jpg

Has he ever said anything funny since his joke about Alanis Morissette ironic song?
    That was 22 years ago!

Maybe because he is mates with Dara O'Brian?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I couldn't care less. It's a term invariably used by right-wingers to describe anyone who happens to express an opinion that isn't overtly unpleasant.

Or a left wing republican who thinks that frankie Boyle is a virtue signaller.

I think most of this thread seems to imply if a comedian is irish they are crap, but if they are foreign they are edgy and one for the hipsters...

However, I think the most unfunny comedian regardless of nationality/taste has to be Ed Byrne (who just happens to be Irish).
    How he has a career is beyond me? :confused:

Has he ever said anything funny since his joke about Alanis Morissette ironic song?
    That was 22 years ago!

Maybe because he is mates with Dara O'Brian?

He sort of appeared out of nowhere, then burned up in blaze of 'meh'.

Like, Dara in his early days was a bland so-called comic. He was pretty bad too.
    But he worked on it, and while I'm not a fan, at least he improved.

Ed is kind of sad-I even feel like the 'funny' material he does on MTW is prewritten material, like Dara's helping him out or something. Doesn't seem to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

That was painful, worst joke I have ever heard.

And to think she wrote and rehearsed this.

Comedy is finished.

riemann wrote: »
    That was painful, worst joke I have ever heard.

And to think she wrote and rehearsed this.

Comedy is finished.

Irish comedy is, for sure-the one's that go to England are at least trying.

Can't believe how depressing it must be to be writing your material, and seeing the state of the current comedy crop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

^ Jesus.
    Between that and the reviews i read of that culchie club show, i am so happy i have not paid a tv license in years. For all the good rte do (and it does do some as a public service broadcaster), enabling that muck should be criminal offence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Irish comedy is, for sure-the one's that go to England are at least trying.

Can't believe how depressing it must be to be writing your material, and seeing the state of the current comedy crop.

Depressing seeing tubridy fake laugh throughout the interview too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes, found out now what it was! Only for the excellent The Handmaid's Tale being on RTE 2 and wanted to rewatch the final episode, I would not have come across this. I discovered it was on for a whole hour from 9.30-10.30. Comedy or a poor documentary, it was I agree poor. Who is Alison Spittle anyway? Heard the name but that's about it. Maybe I am lucky!

I stumbled across Alison Spittle waiting for The Handmaids Tale too ! What on earth was that all about . I was cringing for her until I realised it was actually some sort of comedy show !

I had never seen Jason Byrne before until he cropped up on Irelands got Talent . My god he is painful to watch and so immature and unfunny

Depressing seeing tubridy fake laugh throughout the interview too

He does the same for crap music-act like it was energetic and lively and modern, when really it is so dated I half expect it to appear on reeling in the years-the 60s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

theteal wrote: »
    Irish people have paid money to attend Pat Shortt gigs. . . .

I don't know where else to go after that

I got tricked into going to one of his gigs once, thankfully I didn't pay for the ticket, but it was still two hours of my life I won't get back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Zelka

They are the best we have like it or not

Advertisement