Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Alison Spittle. I cringe and sometimes blush when I see the ad on telly. How in the name of God is that allowed on telly?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

All the female ones - esp Maeve Higgins and Alison Spittle.

Jason Byrne, Ardal O'Hanlon and Ed Byrne are total muck too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Zelka wrote: »
    They are the best we have like it or not

I don't think they are-far from it.
    Like, for a country that's produced some amazing musicians, and bands, and had shows like Nighthawks, Irish comedy has gone through a real dry spell of late.

Alison Spittle wouldn't get a look in before, maybe brought on the Late Late (in Pat Kenny or Gay Byrne's time) to fill a 5 minute space because a guest was sick or flight delayed. Now she's one of the actual booked guests, ditto Maeve Higgins.

How do you go from amazing shows like Nighthawks, Blizzard of Odd, and Halls Pictorial Weekly...to crap like Damo and Ivor (which has a movie coming out :eek:), Culchie club, and Bridget and Eamonn... is shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Alison Spittle. I cringe and sometimes blush when I see the ad on telly. How in the name of God is that allowed on telly?

One of the most plausible theories I've heard is that she has sex-scandal dirt on top brass in RTE. The more you consider it, the more likely it seems.

Noveight wrote: »
    One of the most plausible theories I've heard is that she has sex-scandal dirt on top brass in RTE. The more you consider it, the more likely it seems.

RTE loves 'tokens' on the tv. Spittle fulfills that, and often they trawl the twitter, youtube or instagram channels for others (Al Porter was the toke gay guy, until he went all Spacey-now they have that Riyadh guy-a gay instagrammer).
    They never go for actual personalities, more 'this person'll get ratings'.
    It's why I avoid so much tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Noveight wrote: »

If that’s the plausible one, can only imagine how mad some of the other theories must be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Some of the sh1t I've read here is up there with journal.ie comments.

Disgraceful.

Says someone who posts on boards and thejournal.ie

FAIL

Well we have a poll now, whomever gets the most votes, will win Unfunniest Irish comedian. Perhaps get an award who knows.

Odds on favorite to win at the minute is Alison Spittle. The bookies have her at 2/1 on, I checked with Paddy Power. Odds shortened too as someone just put €20,000 on her to win this easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Well we have a poll now, whomever gets the most votes, will win Unfunniest Irish comedian. Perhaps get an award who knows.

Odds on favorite to win at the minute is Alison Spittle. The bookies have her at 2/1 on, I checked with Paddy Power. Odds shortened too as someone just put €20,000 on her to win this easily.
    Jason B will run away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I voted for Other, cause Hector isn't listed.

• Advertisement

I voted for Other, cause Hector isn't listed.

Ok well it's a poll of who has been mentioned the most on this thread.

Went with other as their will always be those who pick someone else but I think I have the favourites in Byrne and Spittle.

:)

Interestingly 2 eejits never off Irish TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

RTE loves 'tokens' on the tv. Spittle fulfills that, and often they trawl the twitter, youtube or instagram channels for others (Al Porter was the toke gay guy, until he went all Spacey-now they have that Riyadh guy-a gay instagrammer).
    They never go for actual personalities, more 'this person'll get ratings'.
    It's why I avoid so much tv.

what token does spittle hit...apart from the Louise o neill types who say shes awesome as apparently being a woman in comedy to them equates to being great...James Kavanagh and james patrice are another dire pair theyre trying to inflict on us

what token does spittle hit...apart from the Louise o neill types who say shes awesome as apparently being a woman in comedy to them equates to being great...James Kavanagh and james patrice are another dire pair theyre trying to inflict on us

I think the RTE head honchos see the public as simpletons as just give us any owl crap.

People like James Kavanagh think being gay makes him interesting and unique and witty. It doesn't.

Of course anyone who tells him he's not "oh look at the bigoted man".

Same for Alison. Oh they dislike me cos I'm obese.

Nah just two talentless twats!.

Nah hes runner up. Bookies fave Alison winning!.

That new show of hers is it delibrately unfunny and stereotypes?.

You could make a funny poignoint show about rural life instead of pure tripe like RTE and her produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,484 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Nah hes runner up. Bookies fave Alison winning!.

That new show of hers is it delibrately unfunny and stereotypes?.

You could make a funny poignoint show about rural life instead of pure tripe like RTE and her produce.

Alison now back in 2nd place. I cant believe nobody has voted for Pat Short.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭paulmurphyvec

i agree his own original material is a lot better

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I listen a lot to BBC radio 4 because I am allergic to RTE. BUT Ed Byrne must be married to some commissioning editor - he is on every programme - not only "comedy" programmes. Just listening to Hitchhiker's guide and there he is again.......grrr so irritating
    http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2017/10/30/38274/ed_byrne_joins_hitchhikers_guide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Des Bishop is horrendous too. So many choices, they're all worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Des Bishop is horrendous too. So many choices, they're all worthy.

In fairness to Des Bishop he did have a bit of originality about him at least at the beginning.
    He has diversified into learning Irish and Chinese and Making shows about it.
    I think he is making the best of what he has got and has done well for himself.

On the other had I just looked Alisson Spittle and I was shocked at how poor she was. (Never heard of her before)
    Her whole act seems to be "I am fat, young, plain, country, frumpy girl" and that's it.
    With nothing funny in whatsoever.
    Maybe there is a market for it I don't know?

I think anyone on this forum could come up with something better then that.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Alison now back in 2nd place. I cant believe nobody has voted for Pat Short.

I thought the d'unbelievable's were gas in thier day.
    I don't know about Pat Shortt on his own (never saw his own stand up stuff.)

But I find this sketch gas it is a lot more layered then it seems.

Well written and acted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It wasn't really as funny when you were from rural Tipperary or Limerick.

It was normal for us to meet people like that. We lived in that world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

That's why people find it funny. They can relate to it so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,656 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Jesus Christ I’ve been at funerals that were better craic than that pile of absolute horse spunk!!

There’s nothing worse than when a ‘comedian’ laughs at ALL their own material!! As if to remind the audience when the funny bits are!!

Jesus Christ I’ve been at funerals that were better craic than that pile of absolute horse spunk!!

There’s nothing worse than when a ‘comedian’ laughs at ALL their own material!! As if to remind the audience when the funny bits are!!

I originally thought she was playing an 'Alan Partridge' 'David Brent' in character being ironically very bad etc.

Then I realised she was meant to be funny....
    There are primary school kids who would do better I think!
    I tried to think maybe there is a target market that I do not get.

Then after a bit of research (never heard of her till now) I realised she made her 'name' on the republic of telly and works with George Hook.
    So it must be a 'who you know' type deal.

There are plenty of comedy shows I don't find funny but I can see why others find them funny.
    Like Mrs Browns Boys etc.
    It hits the target demographics etc and it has a tried and tested structure.

But this Spittle one has me baffled.
    The funniest thing about her is literally her name?

Makes me think more people should be giving this comedy thing a go if the bar is so low.
    Easier then getting into the Civil Service and sure it's a job for life with RTE once your in as regular 'face' or 'voice'

Rothko wrote: »
    That's why people find it funny. They can relate to it so much.

Exactly they hit the nail on the head with and have it spot on.
    The fact you think it is true to life is a compliment to them.

So its really a two horse race who people see as the worst Irish comedian.

Jason Byrne and Alison Spittle.

Both equally devoid of talent but perhaps someone here knows them and can encourage them to be even more unfunny to win the acolade of Unfunniest Irish Comedian.

Jason Byrne judging Irelands got talent. My God.

Its aa insulting as Jimmy Saville and Gary Glitter judging a child beauty pageant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

So its really a two horse race who people see as the worst Irish comedian.

Jason Byrne and Alison Spittle.

Both equally devoid of talent but perhaps someone here knows them and can encourage them to be even more unfunny to win the acolade of Unfunniest Irish Comedian.

Jason Byrne judging Irelands got talent. My God.

Its aa insulting as Jimmy Saville, Gary Glitter and Donald Trump judging a child beauty pageant.
    Fixed it for ya :-)

Take your pick re: Spittle. She's there for mental illness, feminism (Allison O'Connor is there on that too), 'body positivity' aka 'fat girls', (I'm heavy myself, so I'm observing), token culchie-same way as Jason Byrne is token Jackeen, ditto some other fella they had on who's a token Jackeen too (name escapes me-when he lost his hair, and shaved it off-his mom said he looked like he was from a concentration camp. That guy. He got hair transplants.), and then you also have the Token Nordie (Brenda whats-er-name), Token God Botherer ( Dr Marie something-she's on the anti-lobby anything, also Brenda what's er name), Token Dr/ Atheist (Dr Ciara), Kavanagh, Patrice, and Riyadh are the token gays (Also instagrammer/ youtubers)-they get the gig cos Porter...well, you know, Riyadh can also attest to being a token Muslim, and there's many Token D4 folks. They've also had the Token farmer, token Journo, and Token anti-feminist (Niamh Horan).

It's nothing new-they've been doing it since forever-just now there's a whole load of 'who the hell is that person?. Famous for what? So they don't even sing?' Ah, fer gawds sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Well, that's progress. Before we just had a token female.

• Advertisement

fatknacker wrote: »
    Well, that's progress. Before we just had a token female.

Or you had Clare McKeown, who would either have a certain guest group, or a load of 'men are awful, down with men' etc.

Advertisement