Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyyesno

I originally thought she was playing an 'Alan Partridge' 'David Brent' in character being ironically very bad etc.

Then I realised she was meant to be funny....
    There are primary school kids who would do better I think!
    I tried to think maybe there is a target market that I do not get.

Then after a bit of research (never heard of her till now) I realised she made her 'name' on the republic of telly and works with George Hook.
    So it must be a 'who you know' type deal.

There are plenty of comedy shows I don't find funny but I can see why others find them funny.
    Like Mrs Browns Boys etc.
    It hits the target demographics etc and it has a tried and tested structure.

But this Spittle one has me baffled.
    The funniest thing about her is literally her name?

Makes me think more people should be giving this comedy thing a go if the bar is so low.
    Easier then getting into the Civil Service and sure it's a job for life with RTE once your in as regular 'face' or 'voice'

That's funnier than anything Alison spittle will ever come up with. If she ever brings out a DVD they should put that quote on the cover :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I stumbled across Alison Spittle waiting for The Handmaids Tale too ! What on earth was that all about . I was cringing for her until I realised it was actually some sort of comedy show !

I had never seen Jason Byrne before until he cropped up on Irelands got Talent . My god he is painful to watch and so immature and unfunny

Yes, it was even hard to figure out its identity as a comedy or as a documentary. I cannot judge Alison Spittle herself, she may well have talent, but RTE will only go with stupidity and if this is an attempt to appeal to rural Ireland, it backfired.

It is sad that Culchie Club, Irish Pictorial Weekly and Naked Camera are what is being passed off as comedy here. No wonder Mrs Brown's Boys is considered a masterpiece, because it is compared to the first 3 monstrosities mentioned.

The Handmaid's Tale is excellent and why RTE could not concentrate on dramas of a good quality I don't know. If this was made in Ireland, there'd be complaints about the violence and so on and the depiction of capital punishment. And if some of those Gilead soldiers decided to shoot a cat, god knows what would happen! RTE got it right when they did Love/Hate and should have continued to make good dramas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I originally thought she was playing an 'Alan Partridge' 'David Brent' in character being ironically very bad etc.

Then after a bit of research (never heard of her till now) I realised she made her 'name' on the republic of telly and works with George Hook.

There are plenty of comedy shows I don't find funny but I can see why others find them funny.

Makes me think more people should be giving this comedy thing a go if the bar is so low.
    Easier then getting into the Civil Service and sure it's a job for life with RTE once your in as regular 'face' or 'voice'[/QUOTE]

That's why Al 'Paws' Porter is so desperate to get back into RTE, it's money for old rope (usually a ludicrously large amount of money)
    Comedians from Ireland usually progress to working regularly in England and America if they are lucky. Bad Irish comedians just stay suckling at the cash teat of mammy RTE for as long as possible, cause they know nobody else would touch them with a barge pole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Easier then getting into the Civil Service and sure it's a job for life with RTE once your in as regular 'face' or 'voice'[/QUOTE]

That's why Al 'Paws' Porter is so desperate to get back into RTE, it's money for old rope (usually a ludicrously large amount of money)
    Comedians from Ireland usually progress to working regularly in England and America if they are lucky. Bad Irish comedians just stay suckling at the cash teat of mammy RTE for as long as possible, cause they know nobody else would touch them with a barge pole.

“even if it was a big curved fleshy barge pole with nice pointy bell ended tip?....phwooarrrr”

straight from al’s playbook there? where can i audition to replace him

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

How do I change my vote from Ed Byrne to Alison Spittle?

I voted before i knew anything about her eh comedy...

She shatters Ed Byrne in this poll I mean at least he wears a suit and looks like he is putting effort in.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

How do I change my vote from Ed Byrne to Alison Spittle?

I voted before i knew anything about her eh comedy...

She shatters Ed Byrne in this poll I mean at least he wears a suit and looks like he is putting effort in.

No givesie backsies.

I voted for Jason Byrne-because he's had over 3 decades to be 'better' and still hasn't made a decent joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Of all the thick right-wing terms of abuse, "virtue signalling" is the thickest. Especially when applied to someone like Frankie Boyle.

Nothing to do with right wing, follow Frankie on twitter or facebook, as opposed to his stand up (which went downhill in tandem with his BMI)

It's the best phrase to describe a lot of his pontificating. Even his music choices scream of virtue signaling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Camille Crooked Scab

Surprised rubber bandits, Cian Twomey or Doireann Gaherty isn’t on the poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

*Garrihy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yep. Rubber bandits are extremely over rated from what I’ve seen of them.

• Advertisement

The last two are glorified vloggers who are unknown to most people over thirty. Not sure what the Rubberbandits qualify as these days but they seem to have left the comedy behind a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wouldn't class TRB as comedians.

Aren't they whats known as 'social commentators' now? In other words, people paid for giving their opinion.

I wish someone would pay me for that. Easy work if you can get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’d forgotten about him but that twomey guy is absolutely brutal too. Saw him on ray D’Arcy show...shudder...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

NIMAN wrote: »

Aren't they whats known as 'social commentators' now? In other words, people paid for giving their opinion.

He is absolutely full of **** too. He comes down so hard on people for doing the slightest thing wrong. But then McGregor came along, a man who has behaved absolutely disgustingly the past few years; boorish, racist and plain nasty. He essentially threatens your mans life in a text and what does he do? Squirms and sucks up to him saying sorry he forgot hes a real person behind the name.

I think more 'Social influencers'-but they're not influencing anyone-their rant on 'mental illness needs feminism' was so stupid, it just got bashed on youtube-and a ton of thumbs down.
    'Talking heads' are more what they are-similar to Gerry Ryan's shows he used to do on RTe.
    I’d forgotten about him but that twomey guy is absolutely brutal too. Saw him on ray D’Arcy show...shudder...

I wouldn't put instagrammers, vloggers or anyone who can't perform on stage on the same pedestal as a stand-up. Standups have earned their way by working the clubs-vloggers and instagrammers are just non-comics. Many even rip-off material.

Whatever it is, the media bloody love the Garrihy's-like, for feck sakes-they're nothing special, tbh. Rte and tv3 give em loads of attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Standups have earned their way by working the clubs-vloggers and instagrammers are just non-comics. Many even rip-off material.

That can be true of standups too.

*cough* Al Porter *cough*

That can be true of standups too.

*cough* Al Porter *cough*

Yes, it can-but they get called out for it. Instagrammers don't even try.

Al Porter was being called out on it repeatedly, before it turned out he liked to digitally penetrate people. (And he was trading on his 'i'm so gay and camp' persona-think those old Irish comedians like Noel V. ginnity or whatever he was. Not a 'stand-up' in the same vein as Rodney Dangerfield. More like a Brendan O'Carroll for the humourless-which is tragic, considering BoC is also rubbish).

Carry on films have more subtlety than Porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Not a comedian

Blindboy is just a Simpleton pushed onto the gormless Irish public as some sort of pseudo intellectual but he tows the line and RTE wouldnt have him on for a second if he told a word of truth.

A pied piper. Like Russell Brand.

Couldnt be bigger corporate whores if they tried.

You'll notice Blindboy and co never debate anyone with a braincell switched on just sprout off rhetoric on TV shows to people like Ryan Tubridy who couldnt care less. Tubs getting €10,000 that week to give these clowns a voice.

This is why we end up with a lad with a Spar bag on his head saying utter utter shyt like feminism is what suicidal men in Limerick need and the zombie like audience applaud crap like this.

Its tremendously surreal.

Not a comedian

Blindboy is just a Simpleton pushed onto the gormless Irish public as some sort of pseudo intellectual but he tows the line and RTE wouldnt have him on for a second if he told a word of truth.

A pied piper. Like Russell Brand.

Couldnt be bigger corporate whores if they tried.

You'll notice Blindboy and co never debate anyone with a braincell switched on just sprout off rhetoric on TV shows to people like Ryan Tubridy who couldnt care less. Tubs getting €10,000 that week to give these clowns a voice.

This is why we end up with a lad with a Spar bag on his head saying utter utter shyt like feminism is what suicidal men in Limerick need and the zombie like audience applaud crap like this.

Its tremendously surreal.

And they teamed up together-Russell Brand and the RB's I mean.

They used to debate-I mean, even the call in to Joe Duffy meant they used to be able to debate.
    But now they've gone the way of 'we're great, so we are'...and they're not.

I love debate-even if one doesn't see eye to eye-but those guys... It's always a sad state of affairs when you stagnate-and those guys are stagnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭georgina toadbum

I'm torn now between Alison Spittle and Maeve Higgens.

• Advertisement

He is absolutely full of **** too. He comes down so hard on people for doing the slightest thing wrong. But then McGregor came along, a man who has behaved absolutely disgustingly the past few years; boorish, racist and plain nasty. He essentially threatens your mans life in a text and what does he do? Squirms and sucks up to him saying sorry he forgot hes a real person behind the name.

Threatening who? What was that about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Threatening who? What was that about?

Apparently Blindboy made a comment on his podcast comparing McGregor to Tupac - immensely talented etc, only to get wound up in 'gangster' bullsh*t (though I read he used Suge Knight from Death Row Records as the comparison - Tupac had legal issues long before meeting him so it was flawed in that sense). Then he got a private message on Twitter from McGregor basically saying something to the effect of "shut your mouth or you'll get left in that bag on your head."

McGregor's been making an almighty twat of himself in the last 12-18 months and comes over as someone coked out of his mind. It's all grand when he's being obnoxious to hype up fights or raise his stature to get somewhat fast tracked in the UFC as his fights generate so much money, and I found that aspect entertaining. But his carry on the last while is pretty disgraceful, most recently the incident with the bus where he injured one guy that had to pull out of the card and could have done seriously worse damage to others near the window the dolly went through. Thankfully the UFC still paid that guy his fight money despite not competing, because most UFC fighters really do not make a whole lot of money.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Apparently Blindboy made a comment on his podcast comparing McGregor to Tupac - immensely talented etc, only to get wound up in 'gangster' bullsh*t (though I read he used Suge Knight from Death Row Records as the comparison - Tupac had legal issues long before meeting him so it was flawed in that sense). Then he got a private message on Twitter from McGregor basically saying something to the effect of "shut your mouth or you'll get left in that bag on your head."

McGregor's been making an almighty twat of himself in the last 12-18 months and comes over as someone coked out of his mind. It's all grand when he's being obnoxious to hype up fights or raise his stature to get somewhat fast tracked in the UFC as his fights generate so much money, and I found that aspect entertaining. But his carry on the last while is pretty disgraceful, most recently the incident with the bus where he injured one guy that had to pull out of the card and could have done seriously worse damage to others near the window the dolly went through. Thankfully the UFC still paid that guy his fight money despite not competing, because most UFC fighters really do not make a whole lot of money.

McGregor is utter scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

McGregor is utter scum.

Call a spade a spade!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Alison spittle, voice annoying too

• Site Banned Posts: 20 Muff Richardson II

I'm torn now between Alison Spittle and Maeve Higgens.

agreed, equally unfunny. give the vote to the vote to the fatter one, just because she’s fatter.

agreed, equally unfunny. give the vote to the vote to the fatter one, just because she’s fatter.

Now now-come one, no need to get personal. Fat isn't a reason to dislike a comedian. If that was the case, comics like John Pinette wouldn't have had any success.
    It's all about material-and that's what I focus on.

I forgot to mention that Russell Brand has stated he's given a way a lot his money-he claims, quite frankly, he doesn't need it.
    I strangely do not dislike Brand-I thought I would, but he can convince me otherwise.
    He doesn't wear a plastic bag to hide his identity for one. And he can deal with hecklers pretty well too.

If you scan youtube-you can find some pretty funny Irish comedians. But there is so little avenues for them now. When was the last time Ryan Tubridy had on a new comedian from Ireland? He had Jimmy Carr on once, and was a prat to him because Carr is an atheist (each to their own) and Ryan is not.
    Kenny had no issues with Carr-they often got a good dig in at each other.

Tubridy and D'Arcy will bring on Maeve, Jason, Allison, and Callan. Maybe Mario Rosenstock too.
    If you're a standup comic starting out-you're not gonna get a chance with RTE.

God...the virtue signalling off this fella...

Be more funny Jarlath, don't be trying to influence an election. (Doesn't he live in England anyways?)

https://twitter.com/Jarlath/status/985892057607700481

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

God...the virtue signalling off this fella...

Be more funny Jarlath, don't be trying to influence an election. (Doesn't he live in England anyways?)

https://twitter.com/Jarlath/status/985892057607700481

Why is expressing any opinion that isn't that of an arsehole 'virtue signalling' nowadays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

No Neal Delamere on the list?

What's going on here?

Advertisement