Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfunny Irish comedians <<MOD note in OP>>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

No Neal Delamere on the list?

What's going on here?

Not as prolific-ie not as much torture as the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Surprising there is not more votes for PJ Gallagher. Alison Spittle has definitely annoyed people with her current junk shows but I'd have to vote Gallagher because not only is his Naked Camera one of the worst shows ever, he took Ireland's comedy down to a low level and set the bar low so everything from Irish Pictorial Weekly to The Walshes to Culchie Club could come in the door. Thank you, PJ and RTE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Surprising there is not more votes for PJ Gallagher. Alison Spittle has definitely annoyed people with her current junk shows but I'd have to vote Gallagher because not only is his Naked Camera one of the worst shows ever, he took Ireland's comedy down to a low level and set the bar low so everything from Irish Pictorial Weekly to The Walshes to Culchie Club could come in the door. Thank you, PJ and RTE!

Irish Pictorial Weekly had its moments.

The Walshes was more BBC than RTE. The BBC didn't bother promoting it though, so it got very low ratings and a full series was never commissioned. Which is a shame because it was very well received by those who did watch it.

He sort of redeemed himself (partially) with Young Offenders. Irish Pictorial was far less egregious than The Walshes or the Cassidy's (which is another strike against Ed Byrne). Culchie Club tho...I know someone who expressed an interest in watching that.
    Thankfully he was working late and missed it. Nowhere Fast was awful tho-once decent joke, nothing else.

I just knew I didn't want to see it-so I didn't.
    Naked Camera led to The Fear, and other similar 'candid camera' shows-including one set in holiday locations (name escapes me). That Fear and its depiction of 'Foreign' types-and jokes played on similar folks left a really, really bad taste. But it was cheap, so RTE made a few series of it. They love their candid camera shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

No givesie backsies.

I voted for Jason Byrne-because he's had over 3 decades to be 'better' and still hasn't made a decent joke.

He did do the mother waving at the kids through the Venetian blinds complete with blinds prop in fairness...

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

'Naked Camera' was a decent if patchy show.
    It was pj's career highlight he was lost after that, until 'The young offenders'.
    I have no idea why Dara O Briain is even on the list decent comedian, quick witted.
    Good structure to his jokes great with hecklers and shout outs from the audience.

He is probably the only half decent comedian from Ireland now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,141 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Naked Camera was a decent show it was pj's career highlight he was lost after that, until the young offenders.
    I have no idea why Dara O Briain is even on the list decent comedian, quick witted.
    Good structure to his jokes great with hecklers and shout outs from the audience.

He is probably the only half decent comedian from Ireland now too.

Ehhhhhh he is ok ehhhhh sometimes ehhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,656 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Any time I watched Irish Pictorial Weekly I always enjoyed it.

I guess it was funny because it was mostly true (the sketch above as an example).

The Fear had its moments too, the young guy on it from Cork was quite good in the situations he was involved in.

He did do the mother waving at the kids through the Venetian blinds complete with blinds prop in fairness...

That bit is so tragic I can't believe anyone liked it....:(

• Site Banned Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyyesno

Any time I watched Irish Pictorial Weekly I always enjoyed it.

I guess it was funny because it was mostly true (the sketch above as an example).

The Fear had its moments too, the young guy on it from Cork was quite good in the situations he was involved in.

Irish Pictorial Weekly was good at the beginning but ran out of steam quickly, it was only so so by the time it ended. The Fear was pure scutter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Not a comedian

Blindboy is just a Simpleton pushed onto the gormless Irish public as some sort of pseudo intellectual but he tows the line and RTE wouldnt have him on for a second if he told a word of truth.

A pied piper. Like Russell Brand.

Couldnt be bigger corporate whores if they tried.

You'll notice Blindboy and co never debate anyone with a braincell switched on just sprout off rhetoric on TV shows to people like Ryan Tubridy who couldnt care less. Tubs getting €10,000 that week to give these clowns a voice.

This is why we end up with a lad with a Spar bag on his head saying utter utter shyt like feminism is what suicidal men in Limerick need and the zombie like audience applaud crap like this.

Its tremendously surreal.

His honest discussions on mental health is to be applauded.

His honest discussions on mental health is to be applauded.

At times honest, other times playing to a certain crowd. It would be more honest if he took off the Spar bag.

Jus' saying.

The bag doesn't bother me, after all isn't part of the comedic act?

I mean, when they first came onto the scene a few years back and quite popular, it didn't seem to bother people back then.

The bag doesn't bother me, after all isn't part of the comedic act?

I mean, when they first came onto the scene a few years back and quite popular, it didn't seem to bother people back then.

Yeah, for comedy. It's grand for comedy, the same way wearing clown makeup is grand for being a clown.

But a clown doesn't stand there and start lecturing people to 'embrace feminism to conquer their mental health' thus making a complex issue into a bizarre mockery.
    Nobody would even take said clown seriously-they'd laugh at the guy.

But the RB's do just that-and somehow are considered to be talking gospel. When really, it's a guy with a shopping bag on his head talking nonsense.

That bit is so tragic I can't believe anyone liked it....:(

Comedy is sujective you have to try and think of a demographic that would find it funny.
    It is a lot like music in that way.

Yeah, for comedy. It's grand for comedy, the same way wearing clown makeup is grand for being a clown.

But a clown doesn't stand there and start lecturing people to 'embrace feminism to conquer their mental health' thus making a complex issue into a bizarre mockery.
    Nobody would even take said clown seriously-they'd laugh at the guy.

But the RB's do just that-and somehow are considered to be talking gospel. When really, it's a guy with a shopping bag on his head talking nonsense.

Would it not be a case that Blindboy, in character so to speak, when he's sitting on the couch on the Late Late Show talking about mental health issues which more or less get swept under the carpet all the time in Irish society, be a bit more watchable for a younger person in their teens who's maybe having a crap time of it? Would it not be a bit more entertaining and engaging on what is an otherwise pretty drab show?

I'm not a die hard fan of Rubberbandits, some of their material is a bit hit and miss for me, but I can't understand why a guy that has the courage to talk frankly about mental health issues and help put the debate out there, is suddenly dismissed because he has a plastic bag on his head, which is part of the act for which he is most famous for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 boylecm

I'd be hard pushed to think of an Irish comedian I find funny. Though I'm not a fan of standup in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Jaso byrne, purely as ive been exposed to his 'comedy' for about 15 years or more. I remember him mc'ing a comedy gig in letterkenny during some festival years ago and he was woeful - just 2 minutes of shouting in between acts.
    Spittle, ive seen about 2 mins off and i know from that experience that i never want to see her 'comedy' again.
    Shout out for andrew maxwell, someone i had completely forgotten about. His weird meanderings on the panel were horrible

How was Culchie Club tonight? No Handmaid's Tale so was not putting on RTE 2.

How was Culchie Club tonight? No Handmaid's Tale so was not putting on RTE 2.

I'm fairly sure it was a one-off documentary and not a series.

• Advertisement

I'm fairly sure it was a one-off documentary and not a series.

....Documentary? So presenting a load of stereotypes as facts is a documentary now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

That Alison Spittle one, I really don't get her appeal.

She actually reminds me of the kind of one that would throw a spanner in the works when you're chatting up someone up on a night out.

Think most guys had it happen to them at least once, where the annoying friend of theirs comes out of nowhere and breaks what you might have going on!

That comedian Stephen Lynch had a song about it, was actually quite funny.

retalivity wrote: »
    Jaso byrne, purely as ive been exposed to his 'comedy' for about 15 years or more. I remember him mc'ing a comedy gig in letterkenny during some festival years ago and he was woeful - just 2 minutes of shouting in between acts.
    Spittle, ive seen about 2 mins off and i know from that experience that i never want to see her 'comedy' again.
    Shout out for andrew maxwell, someone i had completely forgotten about. His weird meanderings on the panel were horrible

Jason Byrne and PJ Gallagher have been producing unfunny so-called 'comedy' for years. RTE and other Irish media have been promoting these and giving them useless series for years that are woeful. Alison Spittle's Culchie Club does seem to be a one off and she is not on the scene for long whereas the affore mentioned types are there for years. Which makes them worse. RTE have wasted too much time and energy not to mention tax payers money on these useless shows for years. I do not blame Byrne, Gallagher or anyone else: they may well have something else to offer. I blame RTE and their producers' limited views on how to make a comedy show.

....Documentary? So presenting a load of stereotypes as facts is a documentary now?

Fuck me, the tedious things the angry men of this hell-site pick up on. It doesn't have to be Panorama to be a documentary. I'm fairly sure nobody tunes into RTE2 expecting to learn anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Site Banned Posts: 20 Muff Richardson II

Birneybau wrote: »

she actually looks a lot better with that on.

I see she's mad for the repeal on that feed, I don't think she'll ever have to avail of the future services should it be repealed. that sugar tax is going to affect her a lot more.

she actually looks a lot better with that on.

I see she's mad for the repeal on that feed, I don't think she'll ever have to avail of the future services should it be repealed. that sugar tax is going to affect her a lot more.

Owwww....just...wow, that was brilliantly funny. Have laughed at that far more than her material.

She reminds me of that one Sofia Hagen- the 'comedian' who went insane when the NHS in the UK had a campaign saying 'Obesity causes cancer' or something, and she called it fat shaming...

Facts aren't fat shaming. No more than saying smoking causes cancer is victimising nicotine addicts.

And yeah, Hagen is a big girl.

Also 'strong independent feminist woman'....so she disables ratings and comments on her videos. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxcm7wyQbYY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I enjoyed the Savage eye.

The Hardy Bucks was great especially the early stuff.

Also 'strong independent feminist woman'....so she disables ratings and comments on her videos. :rolleyes:

As opposed to what? Voluntarily providing every asshole with another platform to tell her that she's fat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Birneybau wrote: »

What a sedantry slob.

Grown adult wearing Pyjamas on a bus!. Ugh.

Disgusting; I mean even the most hard gone heroin addicts dress themselves in public.

Also the face mask is like leatherface, as someone said seems to be an improvement.

Advertisement